• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
new textures, effects, coloured blobs, map magnification slider, colour blind friendliness.
Awesome, thanks! Funny, I'm two types of color blind and I actually wasn't bothered by Returnal without color blind settings even though the game is very color-focused with items and whatnot. Weird.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Did y'all know they added a photo mode?

Where are my photos!?

gqG8zQ.jpg

gqG26M.jpg

gq5wP3.jpg

gq5Naz.jpg

gq5MP2.jpg

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Won't work, according to the scum tester above the rooms are already selected. I guess you could save scum just before warping to B2/4/5/6 to save a few minutes.
I didn't test going into a new biome from the same save, are they randomized when you start your run or when you enter the specific biome? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Presumably, you should be able save right before a boss, die and reload outside of the boss room with this method?
Correct. You can even save before opening the chest right before the boss and reload until you get your preferred weapon to face it.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
After losing 3 runs due to updates and one to a system crash, all while in suspend mode, I've been waiting for this before putting any more time into it. Looking forward to jumping back into it!

I'll be honest that I'm surprised it took this long for the feature to be added, I wasn't sure if I'd just end up not coming back to the game, but timing is good for what is a light end to the year.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm enjoying this as much as I thought I would (a lot) and have already made use of suspend cycle twice in like 90 mins of play.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. Save scum doesn't work for me as pressing options on Returnal just comes up with "Check sync status of Saved data" instead of "Upload/Download saved data". Doing this just syncs both to the latest save, which just screwed me over.

Every other game says "Upload/Download saved data"

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. Save scum doesn't work for me as pressing options on Returnal just comes up with "Check sync status of Saved data" instead of "Upload/Download saved data". Doing this just syncs both to the latest save, which just screwed me over.

Every other game says "Upload/Download saved data"
Check to see if sync saves is enabled for Returnal, look in the system settings for the PSN+ cloud save settings.

May 14, 2021
Two times now I've used the save mechanism, and both times it deleted my controller changes. I had dash on R1, and it moved it back to circle.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I love this game. Glad this might open the door to more sales and more converts. Really memorable experience, and it was just hard enough for me without causing me to quit.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Two times now I've used the save mechanism, and both times it deleted my controller changes. I had dash on R1, and it moved it back to circle.
Yea this happens to me as well. Minor inconvenience for such a big improvement to QoL. But hopefully they do fix this

PS. Everyone should move Dash to one of the shoulder buttons. It makes the game much easier.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Of all the changes they could have made, I really wish ether was a different color from malignant drops.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
This bugs me too, but after a while I was able to spot them visually. They have some extra white or gold sparkles coming off them.
Yeah, and while I haven't looked too closely, I feel like they're marked pretty prominently with the purple "eyedrop" symbol on the minimap, so that helps too.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, with the benefit of save scumming I finally beat it and I'm not even ashamed.

I got this game at launch and I found the difficulty just a little too unforgiving.

Went to the final boss with a good weapon, a double length health bar and a big med kit. Beat it first try.

Might even go after the post game stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
How come? (I haven't played the game)

You want both to be able to dash at any moment and retain full control of direction and camera while dashing, because that's something ideally you'll be doing a lot.

I moved jump too, to the other shoulder button (L1) for the same reasons.

Movement becomes much more fluid and seamless since you can go from one motion to the other without losing control of anything at any moment. And movement is how you survive in Returnal.

Last edited:

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Man some of those screenshots are mindblowing, this game really shines even more with photomode. Best art direction I've seen in a while

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
You want both to be able to dash at any moment and retain full control of direction and camera while dashing, because that's something ideally you'll be doing a lot.

Movement becomes much more fluid and seamless since you can go from one motion to the other without losing control of anything at any moment. And movement is how you survive in Returnal.
I just wanted to echo one thing you said:

Movement Is How You Survive In Returnal.

That is all. :)

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks for the response. I'll pick it up one of these days when it's around 30 bucks. Hopefully I can find it digitally.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to chime in on how much of a crime it is that none of the boss themes are included in the OST, for whatever reason. If you haven't finished the game yet I'd hold off on hunting them down if you're curious, because a couple of them pack a real wallop when you consider the staging/music/action of said bosses, and experiencing them all in symphony for the first time is just magical. Hyperion I'm looking at you.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Welp, with the benefit of save scumming I finally beat it and I'm not even ashamed.

I got this game at launch and I found the difficulty just a little too unforgiving.

Went to the final boss with a good weapon, a double length health bar and a big med kit. Beat it first try.

Might even go after the post game stuff.

How are you save scummin'?

I got the impression you couldn't reload a save, you could just return back to an unfinished run.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
How are you save scummin'?

I got the impression you couldn't reload a save, you could just return back to an unfinished run.

Turn off sync. Suspend run. Close game. Save to cloud. Restart game. Close game if not suitable and copy cloud save to console. Restart Game.

Eat Sleep Die Repeat.

kohlmannj

Oct 28, 2021
Manhattan, NY
Uhhh, I registered just for this thread 😅😂🤩

I've Platinum'd and have put over 120 hours into Returnal. I was slightly surprised by how much I'm enjoying the new Photo Mode, though:

Phenomenal, riveting game, hope we get some content DLC someday.

Last edited:

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, I'm loving these photos. Great work, everyone! I think I'll spend this evening on the Atropos tour bus myself.