• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Whooo! Just got the platinum. Fucking finally. I shelved the game months ago when I couldn't complete the last survey, but after probably 12 tries in a row I finally found that last glyph I needed in biome 2. What a pain in the ass… GOTY:)

Only my second platinum ever, this and Borderlands😂

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
What I want is some kind of proficiency 15+ version of the early biomes so you can rock all those juicy high level weapon unlocks with the enemies of those areas.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Game definitely needs DLC. The way they did scoring for the daily challenges is perfect for a score attack/endless mode. That's my biggest wish. With leaderboards, of course

They might even do something that's totally random but works. For example, Commando Mode in Resogun.

I don't doubt their creativity so I'm totally excited for any possible DLC.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
I haven't played since May and even though I platinumed the game I'm getting my ass kicked. But I love being back at Atropos. The photos many of you are posting are incredible. I hope I can get some good ones to share here.

BobSaac2

Jan 6, 2021
Waow, I played for like 10 hours these last two days and just lost myself with Photo mode...

There are still plenty of images to upload, but here are some of them:

lensdump.com

Returnal

Returnal album hosted in Lensdump

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
I'm having an absolute blast on a new game with save scumming! I beat the game a while ago but wasn't able to find one cipher in biome 2. That game started very close to launch and I think the cipher was bugged.

But save scumming before challenge rooms and boss fights is wonderful. Just makes the game faster, which I really appreciate and a second playthrough. I think this is a great way for the game to be more accessible to players who don't want to face the game's brutal (for me at least) difficulty curve.

Also experimenting with skipping some weapon perks that I didn't like the first time around. Wide maw for the shotgun and burst fire for the starting weapon, among other perks, always bugged me. This may backfire in the long run because I'll have to avoid guns that can unlock perks I'm avoiding, but I'm gonna see how far I can go with this approach.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having an absolute blast on a new game with save scumming! I beat the game a while ago but wasn't able to find one cipher in biome 2. That game started very close to launch and I think the cipher was bugged.

But save scumming before challenge rooms and boss fights is wonderful. Just makes the game faster, which I really appreciate and a second playthrough. I think this is a great way for the game to be more accessible to players who don't want to face the game's brutal (for me at least) difficulty curve.

Also experimenting with skipping some weapon perks that I didn't like the first time around. Wide maw for the shotgun and burst fire for the starting weapon, among other perks, always bugged me. This may backfire in the long run because I'll have to avoid guns that can unlock perks I'm avoiding, but I'm gonna see how far I can go with this approach.

came in here to upvote this post. I finally beat the third boss after being stuck on it for months. I went from borderline disliking this game to really enjoying it now.

Saves scumming saves the day. Only took me a third try to beat it. It's not the boss that's necessarily hard, it's a couple of the enemies on the process getting there, and dying instantly with no opportunity to practice serves no purpose other than to frustrate beginners or the less skilled

The best part with save scums is that you can practice on particular enemies that are giving you trouble. Instead of instant death.

thanks to everyone in the community for the positive helpful tips you've been leaving for us scrubs.

it's rather sad that so many people will not experience this because of the hassle of save scum (well, 45 second hassle) and the initial difficulty. Oh well.

perhaps the devs will consider a checkpoint system that negates earning trophies or something like that.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to love this game, but was so frustrated by the crashes/bugs and several design decisions that I never wanted to touch this game again and was bitter about it.

However due to this patch and the ability to re-load saves via the cloud backups, I've got it on the way again from Gamefly. If this makes the game more enjoyable and allows me to clear it, I might actually buy it later.

I'm glad they implemented this patch, and didn't refuse due to fear of "save scumming" (not a fan of that term). Still, since you can do it, I think they should just have put in a god-mode feature like Hades where you gain more base defense each time you die. That's a good way to give players some help and still requires you to engage with the mechanics. You're never fully invincible and it's just some extra help.

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
came in here to upvote this post. I finally beat the third boss after being stuck on it for months. I went from borderline disliking this game to really enjoying it now.

Saves scumming saves the day. Only took me a third try to beat it. It's not the boss that's necessarily hard, it's a couple of the enemies on the process getting there, and dying instantly with no opportunity to practice serves no purpose other than to frustrate beginners or the less skilled

The best part with save scums is that you can practice on particular enemies that are giving you trouble. Instead of instant death.

thanks to everyone in the community for the positive helpful tips you've been leaving for us scrubs.

it's rather sad that so many people will not experience this because of the hassle of save scum (well, 45 second hassle) and the initial difficulty. Oh well.

perhaps the devs will consider a checkpoint system that negates earning trophies or something like that.
Hell yeah, glad you were able to push through. Good luck with the second half of the game, you've still got lots of cool shit coming up.

It would be cool if they offered more options IN-game but at least you were able to work something out with the cloud saves.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can you track how many Glyphs you have per Biome still? I swear I had access to it before this latest update, but maybe I'm misremembering how to see it.

The photos in this thread are slick AF, beautiful work everyone. Game is gorgeous and it's great to see people using Photo Mode to great effect.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Glad to hear you got through the 3rd Biome, I feel its a crime if ppl don't experience the boss in Biome 4. Also some of the shots I've seen here really capture the atmosphere, great job everyone.

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States

Really happy you're having fun with this game! One drawback I'm finding with save scumming is you'll unlock less weapon perks. I just reached biome 4 without any level 2 perks. I'm gonna spend some cycles just leveling weapons before I ramp up for the next boss. But when I do, I'll be scumming my way there!

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
Can you track how many Glyphs you have per Biome still? I swear I had access to it before this latest update, but maybe I'm misremembering how to see it.

They're shown in Databank under Xenoglyphs. You have to scroll down on the left to reveal it. But they don't show per biome. I've only seen that for ciphers, which appear in the same screen as the glyphs.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
All those great pics almost make me want to try the game lol... too bad I can't stand roguelikes

Uhhh, I registered just for this thread 😅😂🤩

I've Platinum'd and have put over 120 hours into Returnal. I was slightly surprised by how much I'm enjoying the new Photo Mode, though:

Phenomenal, riveting game, hope we get some content DLC someday.

Welcome, and those are great shots! You, Hispanicguy and Chopin the 3rd have made some wallpaper-like shots, amazing

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
gmNwpC.png

gmNL11.png

gmNHMa.png

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Got the true ending today, thanks to save scumming. Got this game at launch but could never beat it. Beat it Friday and got the second ending today.

Not sure if I'm gonna go after the platinum.

For some reason, beating the 2nd boss never unlocked that trophy, so id have to do that again. Plus all surveys on all biomes (which I'm not sure what that entails. All the red glyphs I guess?), And 30 proficiency, which I think I've gotten up to 27 or so.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Give it a chance, game isn't a straight roguelite - got lots of arcade and shmup DNA in it. You might end up liking it.
It's a game with roguelike elements, but it's not your typical roguelike. It requires way less rote mastery than most of the roguelikes you're probably thinking of.
For what it's worth, I thought I couldn't stand roguelikes, but Returnal is now not just my game of the year, but my favorite sci-fi game of all time.
I hear you all but people said the same thing about Hades and I legitimately hated it lol

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Been a while for me since I platinumed, but these pics people are taking in Photomode reminding me why this is very likely my GOTY.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Did they fixed the bugged Cipher count or do I still have to restart my game to collect the ones I missed and Platinum the game?

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Did they fixed the bugged Cipher count or do I still have to restart my game to collect the ones I missed and Platinum the game?
Wondering the same thing. I feel like there's one Cipher in Biome 2 that I cannot find. I've scoured it more than 30 separate times, to no avail.

Looks like the game was updated again this morning. Anyone know what it was?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Do you like Doom Eternal? it plays like that in third person, maybe grab it when it's cheap during black friday or holidays.
Yes I do! But I don't know if I'd like it if, after dying, I'd have to restart a procedurally generated level... you know? And how sometimes I might have the Super shotgun, and sometimes I'd only have the machine gun?

Anyway, my partner likes rogue-likes and will probably buy it so I might try it then (just like I did with Hades), but I'm not in a hurry haha. I'll enjoy the screenshots in the meantime :)

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering the same thing. I feel like there's one Cipher in Biome 2 that I cannot find. I've scoured it more than 30 separate times, to no avail.

From the official Discord
1:44 PM] HMQ_Sinuosette: Yep, just some minor fixes
[1:45 PM] evankingmaguitars: Cool thanks! Are there patch notes coming??
[1:50 PM] Square: Probably with one point: bug fixes
[1:56 PM] HMQ_Sinuosette: Not much to share in terms of patch notes that's why we didn't publish them. It was really about some small stuff that we wanted to get out of the way

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yes I do! But I don't know if I'd like it if, after dying, I'd have to restart a procedurally generated level... you know? And how sometimes I might have the Super shotgun, and sometimes I'd only have the machine gun?

Anyway, my partner likes rogue-likes and will probably buy it so I might try it then (just like I did with Hades), but I'm not in a hurry haha. I'll enjoy the screenshots in the meantime :)

Weapons won't be a problem, you'll always find every weapon you unlock. Boons... well, that's more random but they're not as important as they are in Hades.

Dying and starting from the beginning, well, you have shortcuts and ways to mitigate that but yeah, the crushing feeling will be there anyway. The game has a lot of cool stuff every time you reset but if you die too much the repetition will surely kick in. I believe that's the main problem people have with these games, if you don't get a bit further with each cycle the game stops showing you new stuff and you might get bored or frustrated.

(For what it's worth, I honestly like Returnal way more than Hades)

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

Exactly the one I'm missing
That was the one that stopped me from the platinum for hours but this video helped.

youtu.be

Returnal Guide - All Xenoglyph Cipher Locations in Crimson Wastes (Biome 2) | 4K60, PlayStation 5

READ THE DESCRIPTION, BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION!This is the Returnal guide for Xenoglyph Cipher locations in Crimson Wastes, aka biome 2. There are issues he...
The one I was missing was toward the end of the biome and would never spawn. Instead of having to beat the entire biome over and over hoping it spawned (which was my approach for hours to no avail), you can start the biome and Dash/dash/dash through the level skipping all enemies until you reach the Boss portal. Take that, then use the teleporters to come through the biome backwards and the room with the one I was missing spawned within about 5 tries. It's infinitely faster than the traditional way and sucks that I had to do it this way but it worked.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hispanicguy you are absolutely killing it with your screenshots. Some of the best I've ever seen in gaming. It helps that the gsme is gorgeous and has stunning visuals, art direction and particles effects. Please put your favourite ones in the screenshot thread so that more people can see the true masterpiece that is Returnal.

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you all but people said the same thing about Hades and I legitimately hated it lol

I personally feel the combat of Returnal, as well as the levels themselves, are a lot better than Hades' and unlike Hades you can use shortcuts and skip bosses on subsequent runs. Definitely worth a try in the future but I admit I'm biased. :)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the second boss after what felt like an eternity being stuck in that biome. I felt kinda invincible afterwards... but not for long. LOL

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Hispanicguy you are absolutely killing it with your screenshots. Some of the best I've ever seen in gaming. It helps that the gsme is gorgeous and has stunning visuals, art direction and particles effects. Please put your favourite ones in the screenshot thread so that more people can see the true masterpiece that is Returnal.

Appreciate the kind words! Thank you very much :)

gsZyYM.png

gsZfwF.png

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
How are you all uploading your photos? Is there a linked Twitter account or something?

I only have six cyphers left, five in B2 and one in B3. Here's hoping they patched the game-breaking cypher in B2 that prevents the trophy from popping. I did finally get the one in B2 with the swirling sand on top of the hand. Still have that ultra rare room to get unfortunately. Hopefully not too much longer for it to show up.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Still stuck on boss one. Lame I know. Also a save scrum noob.
want to jump back in due to patch.

other than the patch provided manual save (in theory right before boss) is there a different save method that lets me go back more than once to the same spot? Specifics?
If so, pls advise like I am 4 years old. Lol.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020

other than the patch provided manual save (in theory right before boss) is there a different save method that lets me go back more than once to the same spot? Specifics?
There is an item you can buy that gives you an extra life, and also there's a area on each level where you can spend ether to be revived once.

Outside of that and uploading your save to the cloud, there isn't any other method to retry a boss mulitple times in the same run.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017

You can suspend the game, and then upload your save to the cloud. While that save file is in the cloud, you can download it as many times you want to repeat something.

Suspend before a boss, upload save.

Fight boss, die, download save, try again
Fight boss, die, download save again, try again
Repeat.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
You can suspend the game, and then upload your save to the cloud. While that save file is in the cloud, you can download it as many times you want to repeat something.

Repeat.
Anyone know if this also doable via USB? All I see is folks mention cloud saves, but I believe that feature is locked behind a PS Plus subscription.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017

Repeat.

thx much. when I suspend, save and upload is that save automatically the one sent to the cloud or do I need to adjust something in in the ps5 save/cloud settings? As noted first time save "scrumming" but damn that Boss 1!

Edit: looks like I need to disable auto sync. Will give it a shot.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Since the resume feature was introduced I have been playing this game quite a bit. It is SUCH a good time. That being said, due to a combination of sloppy play and greed I just threw away a blessed run. Now I feel so, so low. Currently looking for a hole to lay down in for a while.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017

There are no bugged cyphers. Some of them are just really rare. RNG and all that.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
There are no bugged cyphers. Some of them are just really rare. RNG and all that.
Rare to the point that I did at least 80 full biome 2 runs since the update and never got that super rare room which contains the last cipher to spawn.
They should tinker with the numbers a bit, I'm not doing 100 runs and I'm not starting a fresh save ^^