Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
There are no bugged cyphers. Some of them are just really rare. RNG and all that.
There are though. The ciphers from the second Biome were not registering when the game launched and that's the one I already collected and can't collect anymore unless I play again, it seems.
Edit: Just take a look at the "Ciphers Collected" count and sum the total on the right and you'll see what I mean.

20211102_121005sejup.jpg

Last edited:

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
There are no bugged cyphers. Some of them are just really rare. RNG and all that.
I can't confirm bugs per se, but I can confirm that it took me 183 hours and 4 seconds to platinum the game with the large and I mean LARGE majority of that time spent tracking down the last 2 cyphers that wouldn't spawn. I had to use an online guide and "trick" the game into spawning them for me.

If I didn't love the gameplay so much I would have never even attempted it after seeing how bad the RNG is in that regard.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The way this game reveals area connections and such definitely has a Dark Souls vibe to it. Loving that aspect about it!

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
There are though. The ciphers from the second Biome were not registering when the game launched and that's the one I already collected and can't collect anymore unless I play again, it seems.
Edit: Just take a look at the "Ciphers Collected" count and sum the total on the right and you'll see what I mean.

20211102_121005sejup.jpg

You still have one to find in biome 2, and 4 to find in Biome 6. For whatever reason the total ciphers collected count is 1 higher than it should be but the per biome counts are accurate.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Rare to the point that I did at least 80 full biome 2 runs since the update and never got that super rare room which contains the last cipher to spawn.
They should tinker with the numbers a bit, I'm not doing 100 runs and I'm not starting a fresh save ^^
Yeah, sounds like you've just had garbage luck with it, which a lot of people have had. I can't remember how many runs it took me to find my last Biome 2 cypher, maybe something like 30 or so. It's not too bad at all to be honest once you know the room you're looking for and just mainline it through the map.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
You still have one to find in biome 2, and 4 to find in Biome 6. For whatever reason the total ciphers collected count is 1 higher than it should be but the per biome counts are accurate.
I remember and many other players remember collecting a cipher that didn't count when the game launched.

The cipher I collected probably counted for the total but not for the area and will probably never appear again.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
I remember and many other players remember collecting a cipher that didn't count when the game launched.

The cipher I collected probably counted for the total but not for the area and will probably never appear again.
The glitch was patched in a previous update. You're still missing a super rare one in Biome 2, and the others in Biome 6.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the patch, if you collected a Cipher that didn't register before it, you have to start a new game. That's what happened to me near launch.

Jan 29, 2018
Regardless of the patch, if you collected a Cipher that didn't register before it, you have to start a new game. That's what happened to me near launch.

Wait, it's possible to have a boned up save file that way? I wonder if that's why I've done countless runs without coming across the last cipher I need in biomes 2 & 3, and the last 4 (!) in biome 6.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sounds like you've just had garbage luck with it, which a lot of people have had. I can't remember how many runs it took me to find my last Biome 2 cypher, maybe something like 30 or so. It's not too bad at all to be honest once you know the room you're looking for and just mainline it through the map.
Yeah i could get there pretty fast indeed. I'll get back to it eventually

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's possible to have a boned up save file that way? I wonder if that's why I've done countless runs without coming across the last cipher I need in biomes 2 & 3, and the last 4 (!) in biome 6.
Yes if you played before one of the patches. 1.4ish maybe? Your case sounds like unlucky RNG though because to my knowledge it was only a couple that could glitch like that.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
The glitch was patched in a previous update. You're still missing a super rare one in Biome 2, and the others in Biome 6.
Not all glitches. That's the main issue. I don't know if I would just waste time trying to collect the one I'm missing. Since I only need to collect scout logs and ciphers I'll probably just restart the game.

Just wanted to confirm with Housemarque if possible but I doubt they'll reply my messages lol
Yes if you played before one of the patches. 1.4ish maybe? Your case sounds like unlucky RNG though because to my knowledge it was only a couple that could glitch like that.
iirc the one from Biome 2 is included in that and that's the one I'm missing, the other ones I know that I just have to play more to collect.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017

20211102_121005sejup.jpg
Where is that total collected? I can't find that info.

For what it's worth, I tried so, so, SO many times for that last biome 2 glyph before 2.0. And even though it still took me another dozen after 2.0, I finally found it. Coincidence? Maybe. Probably. Still 😁

Anyone know if this also doable via USB? All I see is folks mention cloud saves, but I believe that feature is locked behind a PS Plus subscription.
No, USB won't work because you can't transfer PS5 saves to USB. They lock cloud saves behind PS plus which does suck.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
so is this the game changer everyone was hoping for?

Yes. Yes. Yes! Thanks again to save scumming, was able to practice Challenge rooms in B4, and did around a dozen runs, dying, building up artifacts, traits all that.

no problem though, I appreciated being able to make progress when I felt like it by save scumming, rather than instant death in a challenge room where then I learn nothing, and end up back on the frustration hamster wheel of shame.

Also helped on the fourth boss, holy WOW what a cool soundtrack on that fight!

can't believe it, but I'm actually progressing. Onto B5!

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
No, USB won't work because you can't transfer PS5 saves to USB. They lock cloud saves behind PS plus which does suck.
Wow, fuck Sony. Ironically, this just makes me resent the company and refuse to become a subscriber on principle, because denying such a basic feature from the PS3 and PS4 is scummy af. Guess I'll have to wait for Returnal to come to PC to fully enjoy it smh.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have finally finished this game after having it since launch, incredible experience with a truly mind bending story. Now it is time to get that platinum trophy

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Getting real close to that platinum. Picked it up again and on my first run back I got the last scout log in Biome 1 and all three of the remaining glyphs from Biome 2. I think I'm just missing one glyph from Biome 6 now.

Then onwards to getting 100% of the database, hah.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Yes. Yes! Thanks again to save scumming, was able to practice Challenge rooms in B4, and did around a dozen runs, dying, building up artifacts, traits all that.

no problem though, I appreciated being able to make progress when I felt like it by save scumming, rather than instant death in a challenge room where then I learn nothing, and end up back on the frustration hamster wheel of shame.

Also helped on the fourth boss, holy WOW what a cool soundtrack on that fight!

can't believe it, but I'm actually progressing. Onto B5!
Are people thinking they'll patch out the save scumming work around or is that there to stay? I haven't dug into it yet (own it) but I'm definitely not above using it lol

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, fuck Sony. Ironically, this just makes me resent the company and refuse to become a subscriber on principle, because denying such a basic feature from the PS3 and PS4 is scummy af.

PS5, Xbox Series and Switch don't allow copying saves to USB. Modified game saves have been used in hacking and cheating, which is why it's no longer supported on any console.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Got the final Cipher in Biome 2 last night!

I'd been playing since launch and assumed my save file had the glitch, but it turns out I had to get the right rooms through RNG. Doing the trick to hit the boss teleporter and run mountain areas first made it more bearable. Some of the Ciphers aren't available to you at first, so you need to come back later with more abilities. I was 18/20 forever and got the last two yesterday in about 10 runs.

Going for the Plat now, baby.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Are people thinking they'll patch out the save scumming work around or is that there to stay? I haven't dug into it yet (own it) but I'm definitely not above using it lol

Hehe yeah count me as afraid. They patched out sleeping in ship for healing (I don't understand why, reviews were already glowing and this helped us scrubs) and they also took out the cheats via keyboard (understandably).

IMHO This is a million times more fun with "homemade checkpoints" aka save scumming :)

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Man this game is hard. I can't even get out the starting door without getting rekt.

At least for me, I learned to not play this game like Uncharted or Gears normal mode where sometimes you can hunker down, take some hits and kill them before they kill you.

But Returnal mostly requires you to keep on the move and use your jump and dash to your advantage.

Protagonist

Sep 13, 2021
Those are some gorgeous shots!

I got the platinum at release (didn't mind the grind) but I'm really glad more people have a chance to enjoy the game with the ability to stop playing mid-run and continue later on. This game is really one of a kind.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So how does the save scumming work exactly? Doesn't it delete your save once you load it?

Can you briefly explain what this is or how you do it? ... asking for a friend.
asking for me

Sure! Credit to user 8bit

Turn off sync. Suspend run. Close game. Save to cloud. Restart game. Close game if not suitable and copy cloud save to console. Restart Game.

Eat Sleep Die Repeat.

just like 8bit said, make sure that you turn off save cloud sync just for reternal. Otherwise your saves will be overwritten.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So when you die, you close the game, copy the cloud save, and reboot?

yeah but the key point is that before you die, you should suspend your cycle and quit the game. So find a comfortable spot where you're doing fine, suspend your cycle, quit game. Then upload that console save into the cloud.

Then go back to the game and it will load up where you left off. Feel free to play loose and free until your character dies. Now here's a key point, when you die, close up the game. Then go into your cloud saves, download that cloud save to your console. It will overwrite the console save you just died from.

start up the game and it will load up at the suspend checkpoint you originally had in the cloud save. Pretty neat!

Edit: before doing any of this, make sure to turn off automatic cloud sync for this game only.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I think I'm playing poorer now that I've been save cheating lol. It's going to be us a relief taking out the 3rd boss. I'm tired of that place.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
I only just started playing again with Photomode...once I get my chops back I'll be taking more pictures but here's some I've got so far

g4tefF.png

g4tSpr.png

g4tz17.png

g4tKh5.png

g4tv03.png

I'm half tempted to start fresh so I can capture some story beats...but we'll see how that goes. I need to pick up my game with screenshots...I'm out of practice.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I can't confirm bugs per se, but I can confirm that it took me 183 hours and 4 seconds to platinum the game with the large and I mean LARGE majority of that time spent tracking down the last 2 cyphers that wouldn't spawn. I had to use an online guide and "trick" the game into spawning them for me.

If I didn't love the gameplay so much I would have never even attempted it after seeing how bad the RNG is in that regard.
This was my experience as well. I made an even dumber mistake too and convinced myself that I needed to unlock all of the weapon traits for every single weapon to get the platinum, since it was there in Sony's guide thing when you hit the Playstation button. I am very much in love with this game, it's easily my game of the year, but getting the last cyphers took me months. Super annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is the new OT for new players.

I finally decided to play this with the patch allowing you to play other things so you weren't just stuck with the game on rest mode

and it's great.

was able to beat biome 4-6 on the first loop they become accessible with me being able to take breaks. Asides from biome 3 the game wasn't too bad in terms of difficulty.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I guess this is the new OT for new players.

I finally decided to play this with the patch allowing you to play other things so you weren't just stuck with the game on rest mode

and it's great.

was able to beat biome 4-6 on the first loop they become accessible with me being able to take breaks. Asides from biome 3 the game wasn't too bad in terms of difficulty.

We have a narrative spoilers discussion, if you feel like joining the madness.