• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Returnal a good name?

• Yes

Votes: 616 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 568 32.5%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 562 32.2%

• Total voters

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
My earlier question about what makes a $70 game are really more for the gatekeepers claiming to know what the threshold is for everyone else, not our own personal thresholds. I wasn't disputing any one person's individual criteria for determining value at a given cost. In fact, that's part of issue I have with the blanket "that's not a $70 game" claim.

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
I get more excited for Returnal everytime they give us an update with gameplay!

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
My earlier question about what makes a $70 game are really more for the gatekeepers claiming to know what the threshold is for everyone else, not our own personal thresholds. I wasn't disputing any one person's individual criteria for determining value at a given cost. In fact, that's part of issue I have with the blanket "that's not a $70 game" claim.
It's frustrating really, this same sentiment was there when games were 60 as well. It's led to games being bloated with filler content and more open world stuff because people won't buy 10 hour games anymore, definitely not at full price. It really seems like you have to make a certain type of game or else people will immediately think it shouldn't be full price.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, love me a good grappling hook. Have they talked about the structure of the game, how you progress, and which parts are procedurally generated? Those are all really important elements in these types of games.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that's slightly unrealistic and I'm a big big Housemarque fan. The game doesn't appear to have the "polish" and production values that +90 games usually do, and I can see it being too difficult (read: frustrating) for some reviewers as gameplay seem pretty fast paced and reflex reliant.

+80 meta would be a success for me. Nex Machina is 88 on meta. Resogun is 84. Alienation is 79

I'm expecting this to land around mid 80's. Hopefully. If it does more I'll be ecstatic as they're one of my favorite studios.

Nex Machina should be a 100 on MC.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That new footage in the Housecast episode last night had me drooling in anticipation. Game looks sick.

Btw, under the radar feature for PS5 I've been loving is Explore...especially when new Returnal information pops up out of the blue. 😊

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Pre order secured. I've haven't regretted getting a Housemarque game yet.

The latest HouseCast is new thread worth tbh

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Iean how can people question the value proposition of this game. This will be worth th money, Housemarque are a top tier developer and the gameplay is always top notch.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Have we got any confirmation if it's 60fps? Game is right up my alley this is my only hang up as I see no confirmation or 60fps footage

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if this is my cup of tea, but I am curious. Loved Resogun and Sony has been on fire in recent years.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Where is that located on ps5 OS
So, I've heard from others that Explore hasn't launched in all Regions yet. I'm in the US, and it's simply there in the main UI when you turn in your PS5. The UI defaults to highlighting it with Store to the left and your game tiles to the right if it.

For me, it's a literal game changer as I can get game news, updates, videos, and dev logs automatically in the PS5 Home Screen. They just pop up as soon as devs publish them to the service.

For instance, last night I was watching Netflix, hit the PS button to go Home, and a new Returnal video is waiting for me to watch. I'm not sure Sony has done a great job explaining the feature yet, but it's literally changed how I follow and interact with PS5 game news. I think it's secretly one of their best enhancements to the UI.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've heard from others that Explore hasn't launched in all Regions yet. I'm in the US, and it's simply there in the main UI when you turn in your PS5. The UI defaults to highlighting it with Store to the left and your game tiles to the right if it.

For me, it's a literal game changer as I can get game news, updates, videos, and dev logs automatically in the PS5 Home Screen. They just pop up as soon as devs publish them to the service.

For instance, last night I was watching Netflix, hit the PS button to go Home, and a new Returnal video is waiting for me to watch. I'm not sure Sony has done a great job explaining the feature yet, but it's literally changed how I follow and interact with PS5 game news. I think it's secretly one of their best enhancements to the UI.

You also have to make sure you're following the game. You automatically follow any game that you own. So, if you own Cyberpunk then you'll see updates in Explore for it. But for unreleased games like Returnal you need to manually follow them by going into the store.

SlimCharles

Oct 30, 2017
This game was barely on my radar but after watching that new gameplay I think this might be a Day 1 for me.

Looks tremendous.

SlimCharles

Oct 30, 2017
For those interested in seeing the new gameplay, it doesn't look like episode 2 of HouseCast is on Youtube yet.

Just click on the game on the PS Store and then press down on the d pad til you find it.

Enjoy!

SlimCharles

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne is the greatest video game of all time so not sure if Returnal can get to that level.

But the fact that Sony has placed it in the same TV ads as Horizon 2 and Ratchet means they have a LOT of confidence in the game.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Game looks interesting but i really think it looks a little weird visually.
the Laser bullets doesn't look to reflect on the floor and the environments looks a bit soulless and a little to simple in my opinio.
I don't know, I will certainly will play but visually it's looking very bland to me.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
And I know for a fact that the story's pretty ambitious and if it lands, boy will it land ;)
I'm susceptible to these kinds of statements, so that's pretty hype. I trust they will foot the landing as far as gameplay is concerned but the story is where I hope they especially impress because that desolate alien world drips with atmosphere and is begging to be explored and secrets uncovered, and those cinematic ambitions I want to see played out.

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks interesting but i really think it looks a little weird visually.
the Laser bullets doesn't look to reflect on the floor and the environments looks a bit soulless and a little to simple in my opinio.
I don't know, I will certainly will play but visually it's looking very bland to me.

It's a roguelike with procedurally generated environments which will never look as good as handcrafted levels and Housemarque isn't operating on the same budget as Sony's powerhouses. That said, the effects and enemy designs look superb I think. As does the actual gunplay and mobility. The cinematics and narrative moments in the footage look really polished as well.

Also, like Radogol I know a bit more about the narrative and it's indeed pretty damn ambitious and intruiging. And no, I can't talk about it. :)

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Which name do you guys prefer "Returnal" or "Dark Planet"?

(the project was code named Dark Planet during development)

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay on the new housecast episode looks freaking amazing and refreshing. I have no idea how that weapon that shoots laser points works, but looks original and interesting. The enemies designs are also really cool, I loved the one that is dropping green goo all over the floor.