• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Returnal a good name?

• Yes

Votes: 616 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 568 32.5%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 562 32.2%

• Total voters

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I agree, that i got my total money's worth out of their games before, just saying this doesn't seem like a 70$ game.
Has there been any game yet that has somehow earned this "looks like a $70 game" badge? I keep seeing plenty of "that doesn't look like a $70 game" but I've yet to see anyone proclaim, "Now, THAT'S a $70 game!!!!"

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Nice but this is definitely not a 60fps gameplay to me it's a good motion blurred 30 fps game

Huh?

this will be 60fps for sure

and i´ve said in the other thread, they try to milk day one buyers with the hiked prices, doesn´t matter if Returnal or God of War. games go on sale fast and frequently these days, just buy later when you think the game ain´t worth it.

for me, Returnal is worth this price because it is unique and besides Risk of Rain 2 there is nothing else like this on the market. i rather pay 70 bucks for a game with replayability and tightly designed gameplay than for a one and done cinematic romp. other people buy a cartoon game, a racing game or a cinematic game for this price which i wouldn´t do.

and like that, there is something for everyone, as it should be.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any game yet that has somehow earned this "looks like a $70 game" badge? I keep seeing plenty of "that doesn't look like a $70 game" but I've yet to see anyone proclaim, "Now, THAT'S a $70 game!!!!"
I would have paid 70$ for Horizon or God of War and will happily pay that much for their sequels.

Oct 25, 2017

This for me (and Demon's Souls). I don't buy games based on how AAA they look., but on how much fun they look. This looks like a blast to play with high replayability and an intruiging sci-fi story, which is my favorite genre.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This game is £69.99/£79.99 in the UK which pretty much means the game is being sent to die, UK is a price sensitive market and no one is taking a risk on a £69.99 spend.

Also a straight conversion from pound to dollar makes the above prices $91/$104, Sony are having a laugh with their pricing.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the stuff that comes with the deluxe can be found in the game yourself? Or are they only for the deluxe

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I've really liked Housemarque's previous games, and this looks incredibly intriguing. That being said, even though I totally understand why it's being priced at $69.99 USD, there is definitely a mental block where I have trouble justifying that in my mind because "it's not that kind of game." I know that's not logical, but that's where I am and I understand why so many others are too.

I'm sure once more gameplay gets out there I will break down rather quickly because this looks incredible.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great but ouch at that 80€ price tag Housemarque. Maybe if you throw in a 120 fps remaster of Nex Machina...

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
There's a new, super interesting episode of HouseCast on the PS5, with a LOT of new gameplay. My eyes are bleeding ç_ç

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Gameplay is not going to be a issue for this game judging from the clip above , They just have to nail the story and it could be a 90+ on meta.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
it could be a 90+ on meta.

I feel like that's slightly unrealistic and I'm a big big Housemarque fan. The game doesn't appear to have the "polish" and production values that +90 games usually do, and I can see it being too difficult (read: frustrating) for some reviewers as gameplay seem pretty fast paced and reflex reliant.

+80 meta would be a success for me. Nex Machina is 88 on meta. Resogun is 84. Alienation is 79

I'm expecting this to land around mid 80's. Hopefully. If it does more I'll be ecstatic as they're one of my favorite studios.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
I feel like that's slightly unrealistic and I'm a big big Housemarque fan. The game doesn't appear to have the "polish" and production values that +90 games usually do, and I can see it being too difficult (read: frustrating) for some reviewers as gameplay seem pretty fast paced and reflex reliant.

+80 meta would be a success for me. Nex Machina is 88 on meta. Resogun is 84. Alienation is 79

I'm expecting this to land around mid 80's. Hopefully. If it does more I'll be ecstatic as they're one of my favorite studios.
You may be right 😅😅
Hope it's a 90+

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't appear to have the "polish" and production values that +90 games usually do, and I can see it being too difficult (read: frustrating) for some reviewers as gameplay seem pretty fast paced and reflex reliant.

That's not necessarily true. Look at Hades, it's a great game and it does not have that "AAA" factor but achieved 93% on metacritic.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
That's not necessarily true. Look at Hades, it's a great game and it does not have that "AAA" factor but achieved 93% on metacritic.

I didn't state it as a rule. I said "usually", and left the door open for +90 as a possibility.

Hades has a completely different presentation and art style that isn't as reliant on production values. Same could be said for BoTW.

I just don't think it's fair to expect +90 from any game, especially one that doesn't appear to contend with juggernauts in terms of production budget.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope we see some footage of other areas soon, everything to date has been extremely dark and grey, which I hope doesn't reflect the entire game. Even if those effects are going to look real cool in HDR.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we see some footage of other areas soon, everything to date has been extremely dark and grey, which I hope doesn't reflect the entire game. Even if those effects are going to look real cool in HDR.

We've also seen the red desert. But I think it will be a pretty bleak game. Dark sci-fi with cosmic and psychological horror, and the environments reflect that. I think the effects add the color and by having dark environments they get some extra punch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since its a roguelike I hope the runs can be finished in 20-30 mins

nex machina isn't a roguelike but felt it was too long for a game without save points, it had like 6 stages if I remember right

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the split in the poll correlates with whether English is the first language of the respondents. All of the people who I have heard laughing at the title are native English speakers. For me (a non-native English speaker) it sounds a bit weird but that's it.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the price on the store...€80, good luck with that...

Only glowing reviews will get me to buy at this price point.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Saw the new footage on my PS5 last night. Holy moly, what a gorgeous game. The grappling hook! Looks like there's some sort of scanning mechanic, too. The Metroid vibes continue.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Demon's Souls definitely is AND I finished that on PS3 years ago. Someone new to the franchise? not even a question. Returnal is the only other game I'm REALLY looking forward to.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I wonder if the split in the poll correlates with whether English is the first language of the respondents. All of the people who I have heard laughing at the title are native English speakers. For me (a non-native English speaker) it sounds a bit weird but that's it.
I'm native English and I kinda dig the title. Returning to the same point eternally, makes sense given the timeloop.

As to the price debate, I agree that the price is kinda high ($90 here in Canada!) and Housemarque's lack of experience in this type of game is a tad worrisome but I still have faith they will pull it off. A horror action platformer third person shooter rougelite with bullet hell elements is the kinda "shoot for the moon" thing I love and if pulled off could be real engaging. That said, I hope when it comes to the bullet hell elements they are still playable for me but being a third person shooter helps a ton in this regard (I'm good enough at that genre but can barely get past the third level of Galaga let alone the fourth).

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Spider-Man Remastered and Miles was worth it for the price as I played neither.

Oct 30, 2017
I crossed 100 hours in Demons Souls last night with many more to go.

Plus it's visually spectacular. Probably the best looking game money can buy.