BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Finished world 1 today, fat and horribly out of shape, just 11 minutes completely wiped me out. Gonna try and play every day till I can get up to 30 minutes a day.

Aug 1, 2018
Today was the first day that I actually felt really tired while playing this. I finished all of the stages in World 4 except for the boss fight and I felt like I was about to die at the end, haha

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Picked it up today and played 30 minutes on difficulty 22. Stopped because my form started to dip partially into first stage in world 2.

Also the mini game section (only tried the vase clay forming one) was awesome

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
my kids are loving it, I have to tell them to stop but they have a friendly unspoken rivalry with each other (and me) and want to be further than the other. I think this is really going to improve our health.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Oh. OH.

Level 60 something+ spoiler I guess

That skill tree expands

Hit #1 for Mountain Climbers for my age. Also have been #1 for Ring Pull & Hold for days. I'm guessing because I just make it a habit to pull on the ring while running.

Nov 3, 2017
Is there much value to getting the game if you already regularly exercise?

I'm thinking of getting this, but wasn't sure if it's a fitness motivator or if the game portion is genuinely fun outside of getting you to work out

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

I'm thinking of getting this, but wasn't sure if it's a fitness motivator or if the game portion is genuinely fun outside of getting you to work out

I think it's a mix of the 2. The adventure game is about using your body while playing an RPG, where items and mechanics open up gradually. For example, there are like 100 different smoothie ingredients to find and zillions of clothing and other items, so it should be fairly easy for people to focus on the "game" side of the adventure. But there's also the exercise motivation part of the game, where a better performed exercise get more points.

The mini games is more about having fun while doing physical stuff.

Personally, I don't use this game as my "main exercise tool", but as a side thing to my usual training. IMO, it's flexible enough to be used however you want to incorporate it into your lifestyle.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Bought this game yesterday and played for around 2 hours. Mid 30s here, going to the gym 3 times a week for weightlifting and 1 or 2 days doing cardio with running around 5 to 10km. I'm currently playing on difficulty level 27 (out of 30) and yeah ... game is tough. But also fun. Thinking of lowering the difficulty a bit because it might be too much for me and I've surely underestimated the intensity of the pilates ring training.

I'd say the exercise value mostly depends on how you're going to play the game. Because you can either do your (lets say) 25 Squats in a quick manner that might push you to your limit or take your time and maybe even take a minute break after the first 15 squats and then finish last 10. I don't think that there's any kind of punishment if you take your time or if you go in hard. The game is easily a good addition to your exercise and can even replace some full cardio sessions. Strength wise it won't do much if you're already lifting.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017

Bought this game yesterday and played for around 2 hours. Mid 30s here, going to the gym 3 times a week for weightlifting and 1 or 2 days doing cardio with running around 5 to 10km. I'm currently playing on difficulty level 27 (out of 30) and yeah ... game is tough. But also fun. Thinking of lowering the difficulty a bit because it might be too much for me and I've surely underestimated the intensity of the pilates ring training.

I'd say the exercise value mostly depends on how you're going to play the game. Because you can either do your (lets say) 25 Squats in a quick manner that might push you to your limit or take your time and maybe even take a minute break after the first 15 squats and then finish last 10. I don't think that there's any kind of punishment if you take your time or if you go in hard. The game is easily a good addition to your exercise and can even replace some full cardio sessions. Strength wise it won't do much if you're already lifting.
Yeah I work out often and playing the game on max difficulty is a great challenge.

In the beginning I was more curious about the graphics and the world so I was getting impatient when one low level battle felt like it took 5+ minutes because you are doing 25+ reps with little damage. And the boss battles are torture if you are trying to progress.

If you want to play the game and have fun I say lower the difficulty to about half if you are already active.

Now that I have seen what the game has to offer, I'm trying max difficulty 30 minutes every day. With 1 or two rest days mixed in.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

I think it is a genuinely fun game. However, I also am a big fan of fitness games, as they make my exercising more enjoyable. Even if you are quite fit I am certain you could get a very solid workout by setting the difficulty high.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been at it for about a week now in the morning before my commute, definitely feel strength building as I tend to keep upping the difficulty every session and some reps are getting looong. I usually only do the recommended session time though(basically when the game recommends stopping), which often is 15-20m of actual workout. Taking on the main boss is always the most problematic. The fodder enemies rarely push me, but every boss fight...yeesh.

Still with it, so it has already broken the record for my time with Wii Fit all those years ago. Good stuff.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
FitERA, are we pushing this for RPG of the year at The Game Awards?

Finally got to play for the first time tonight. Got through the first 2 levels. My wife and I do cardio and light weights about 3 times a week atm and the game has deemed to place me at difficulty level 16. I wasn't drenched in sweat but I definitely felt the burn.

I can already tell this is going to be a really cool exercise tool. They do a great job of motivating you to do just a bit more.

If you wanna be drenched in sweat, up the difficulty level. The reps needed for battles on the later difficulty levels are insane.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to want to play every day just because it's so fun, regardless of how dead my body is.

I think that's the sign of a successful fitness game. I just hope it lasts a long time and doesn't fizzle out once you reach the end of the adventure.

I have an area of only about 4 ft. wide. Is that enough to play this comfortably?

Basically all you need (so far in my experience, I'm in world 4) is enough room to lie down comfortably and enough vertical space to lift your arms all the way above your head.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Planking is kicking by butt, and I only do them correctly half the time going by the sounds. It's still really effective as an attack though

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Leg raises are hard. Especially when you just do all floor ab exercises vs an abs boss.

But I know leg raises are supposed to actually be really good for working out the core. So probably gonna keep doing those yellow moves.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel I'm not doing the moves right... especially Knee Lifts and Squats as my friend said my firm doesn't look right...but when I gotta do 20 of them, I'm sure atleast some will be correct haha.

Anyone else worried their form isn't perfect?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to want to play every day just because it's so fun, regardless of how dead my body is.

I think that's the sign of a successful fitness game. I just hope it lasts a long time and doesn't fizzle out once you reach the end of the adventure.

Basically all you need (so far in my experience, I'm in world 4) is enough room to lie down comfortably and enough vertical space to lift your arms all the way above your head.
Hmmm ok...considering treating myself and importing this for my birthday next week.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fell off a few days (went 3 in a row last week), but got back on it today. Finished up world 3. The Draguax fight in that world kicked my ass. The jogging more than anything is what's been doing me in. Feels good!

I feel I'm not doing the moves right... especially Knee Lifts and Squats as my friend said my firm doesn't look right...but when I gotta do 20 of them, I'm sure atleast some will be correct haha.

I noticed today that my knee-to-chest attacks weren't giving me the "great!" with heated letters that my other workouts gave me and the sound effect for hitting them was weaker. So I started pulling my knees even closer to my chest (which sucks lol) which was Ring's advice, and it started going to great. I was suprised it was able to sense that.

So yeah best thing I can say is watch for your person's hair to light up and the for the good/greats, and listen to Ring. Seems to help in that department. Although it seems like some such as the knee lifts are based a little more on the honor system.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
So...squats. Does the game allow me to sub an alternate exercise? Knee damage over the years now prevents me from doing any knee-bending movements without pain. I can at least tolerate jog in place for a short while but bending with bodyweight is painful.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Got the game just a while ago and seems pretty good so far the little I've played.

However, I can't figure out how to get great or even good on some of the exercises. Like squat, I don't get anything at all. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do differently.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
So...squats. Does the game allow me to sub an alternate exercise? Knee damage over the years now prevents me from doing any knee-bending movements without pain. I can at least tolerate jog in place for a short while but bending with bodyweight is painful.
Not from the start. Perhaps it would be a good idea to start at low difficulty to lower the number of reps and then ramp it back up when you get an alternative or just battle without using the squats at all.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017

Should be able to swap out any of the exercises as you level up and get more. Also I know there's a button assist mode somewhere in there if you're unable to do certain things.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
My body is still totally sore from yesterday's session, I might have played too long (I think I played 45mn/1hour) and I'm paying the price now. I'll try to get back on track tomorrow, if my body stops hurting from basically everywhere >_>;

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I fell off a few days (went 3 in a row last week), but got back on it today. Finished up world 3. The Draguax fight in that world kicked my ass. The jogging more than anything is what's been doing me in. Feels good!

I noticed today that my knee-to-chest attacks weren't giving me the "great!" with heated letters that my other workouts gave me and the sound effect for hitting them was weaker. So I started pulling my knees even closer to my chest (which sucks lol) which was Ring's advice, and it started going to great. I was suprised it was able to sense that.

So yeah best thing I can say is watch for your person's hair to light up and the for the good/greats, and listen to Ring. Seems to help in that department. Although it seems like some such as the knee lifts are based a little more on the honor system.

Yeah, like the game picks up that I'm doing Good or Great, but she was saying my form was all wrong and it weren't the optimal way to do the exercises.

Like I'm trying but I don't want to overthink what I'm doing so go with what my body wants to do.

I mean as long as I'm doing it daily, it's more exercise than I usually do so I think it's all good, whether I'm doing the moves right or wrong.

As in impractically high or? I don't want to be doing 100 squats in a row before I can change exercise type..

24/30 gives 20-25 Squats I believe.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo I just skipped going to the gym to play ring fit....I feel like Im cheating on my routine.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
caved and got the game yesterday. I honestly can't keep playing for more than 10 minutes, just farming world one right now with the first and second mission. Run the first one 3x and the second mission once. then it's a quit for me.

I never exercise so right now it's just building up stamina.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man. Day 3 and I'm really feeling it. Got to world 3 with difficulty on 22. This game actually feels like a proper workout for me!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

There are lots on videos available on how to perform squats, if you're interested. That's what I use a couple of years ago.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Whoever made the side-quest where you have to destroy every single robot in Smack Back can eat my shorts.

The tracking on this particular minigame is atrocious. The rest of the game has been solid, but boy my completionist habits are being tested on this dumpster fire.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Got the game just a while ago and seems pretty good so far the little I've played.

However, I can't figure out how to get great or even good on some of the exercises. Like squat, I don't get anything at all. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do differently.
Was reading a reddit thread about this and one of the comments was that some people do squats differently? Like you're supposed to be lowering your body, bending your knees, so the joycon on your thing is supposed to end up parallel to the ground. Apparently the way some people do squats is more like a kneel so that the thigh remains more vertical. Is that the problem you're having? I think this is the "don't let your knees go past your toes" thing that the game warns you about when you do squats. (Note: Supposedly that advice is sort of a myth esp. for deep squats, and it's more about where your body weight is centered as you go down)

Also before you get into the game, where it shows your ring-con and leg strap positions, press the B (or was it A? the bottom one) button while looking at the screen to recenter it. That could be another potential problem maybe.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
I use the "Other" setting. I also use a chest strap HRM for the most accurate data. Generally speaking, I don't think the "activity" setting alters how the calories burned are calculated. All the different companies apparently have their own formula for calculating this number, and they all vary in accuracy as a direct result. That being said, a study from the University of Leeds found that Garmin fitness devices actually underestimate calories burned (which I think is preferable to the alternative). Still, it is a guideline to work with, not ultra accurate data.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-fitnesstrackers-calories/fitness-trackers-accuracy-varies-widely-for-calories-burned-idUSKCN1MS2QL?fbclid=IwAR2v9qyxxu4xCPXUB_uvl-jYQm6MqUeifl9htdadZeGbVvVYuRplAEj0_BI

There was a company that was making a tracker that you wore on your arm, and had two metal pads on it. It measured calories burned based on a whole slew of things it could tell from contact with your skin. Compared to the oxygen thing they do to measure calories burned which is the gold stand and the most accurate, it was 99% accurate to that. I used to have one and it was great, amazing device, but you had to pay like 8 bucks a month to get access to the data. Basically every week you would plug it into your computer and upload the data to their server which would give you the info. Then Fitbit bought them out and shut it all the fuck down. Now you can't get any of these devices that are anywhere near as accurate.

It was the GoWear Fit by BodyMedia and it was amazing, it was also 180 bucks when I bought it in 2009, but it worked amazingly well. I will always be pissed at FitBit for buying them out and shutting them down. The web app was amazing too, had food tracking in it, so you could compare calories in to calories out, it was what a lot of this stuff is doing now but way more accurate.

1*JcG5MBMvKP-ZKR9duKcQxQ.jpeg

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
Whoever made the side-quest where you have to destroy every single robot in Smack Back can eat my shorts.

The tracking on this particular minigame is atrocious. The rest of the game has been solid, but boy my completionist habits are being tested on this dumpster fire.
Yeah, I skipped this one after a couple of tries after realising it would take me hours.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Geeky sales observations...
- First time seeing the game actually not for sale anymore on Amazon, only third party sellers.
- Japan's second week sales almost equaled the first week's (bringing it from ~60k to ~120k).
- Read its sales actually increased in some other countries/places in the second week?
- Saw some people saying they think it'll get 1M in Japan alone, and possibly 10M worldwide.

Excited to get it myself, and glad it's turning in to a big success, it really sounds much better than Wii Fitness, and I used that for a while, but this seems much more structured. Still looking forward to seeing someone post what happens when you clear the game in another month or two.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There was a company that was making a tracker that you wore on your arm, and had two metal pads on it. It measured calories burned based on a whole slew of things it could tell from contact with your skin. Compared to the oxygen thing they do to measure calories burned which is the gold stand and the most accurate, it was 99% accurate to that. I used to have one and it was great, amazing device, but you had to pay like 8 bucks a month to get access to the data. Basically every week you would plug it into your computer and upload the data to their server which would give you the info. Then Fitbit bought them out and shut it all the fuck down. Now you can't get any of these devices that are anywhere near as accurate.

It was the GoWear Fit by BodyMedia and it was amazing, it was also 180 bucks when I bought it in 2009, but it worked amazingly well. I will always be pissed at FitBit for buying them out and shutting them down. The web app was amazing too, had food tracking in it, so you could compare calories in to calories out, it was what a lot of this stuff is doing now but way more accurate.

1*JcG5MBMvKP-ZKR9duKcQxQ.jpeg

That sounds amazing.

OF COURSE FitBit shut them down. Incorporating the tech would have been more expensive, so why not just buy them out and bury it, right? Yuck.

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Hit World 10 with over 1 hour of in-game exercise. Also hit #1 for Dashing for my age group.

Double XP drinks are so great for battle gyms and Dragaux. Just gained 2 levels vs the World 9 Dragaux.

But the coming days my rankings will probably drop as I'll be hanging out with people.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I beat World 6 on Monday in one go and just finished half of World 7 today. At level 54, saving up my gems to unlock a bunch in the skill tree at once. The level requirement is slowly starting to catch up with me, it's at requirement 49 right now.

Did about 29 minutes of exercise and 80 thigh squats of varying difficulty today based on the end report. Thighs will be feeling it tomorrow for sure. I do feel like they are getting easier, I could do a full set of 25 without them burning throughout, only by the time I did another 25 (on top of a few other exercises) was I starting to feel it.

Staying motivated is getting tough when I want to play other games instead with my limited time after work. I'm trying to do it 6 days-a-week, but I've been slacking here and there.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Hello, love this thread. Been doing Ring Fit every day for about 9 days now and loving it.

I am making a series of video diaries about my experience with the game. But I don't know if it is OK to post them here, the wording in the ERA rules is a bit unclear:

Do not create threads featuring links to products or services that you have a direct involvement in. Members are instead welcome and encouraged to post in already existing threads about a product or service that they are involved in (including links that are specifically relevant to the thread) so that they may engage with the community. If you are involved in a product or service that you are linking, please disclose that fact upfront.

I would not be creating a thread and it is on topic with Ring Fit Adventure, but I don't want to break any forum rules.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I'm falling behind. Trying to take it easy now that I've caught the seasonal cold, but these things hang on for weeks.

Gonna get back into it tomorrow I think, maybe keep it short.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Hello, love this thread. Been doing Ring Fit every day for about 9 days now and loving it.

I am making a series of video diaries about my experience with the game. But I don't know if it is OK to post them here, the wording in the ERA rules is a bit unclear:

I would not be creating a thread and it is on topic with Ring Fit Adventure, but I don't want to break any forum rules.

I feel like posting in this thread should be fine? But message a mod if you aren't sure