• No

Votes: 395 43.0%
  • More!

Votes: 300 32.6%

• Total voters

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I get that people didn't like Roche and that's fine, but Heidegger man, Heidegger... What a terrible, terrible villain and water off screen time every fucking time he was on screen. Did you really hate Roche more than Heidegger?

Heidegger was bad in the OG but he's so fucking worse in Remake yeah. That's the problem of adding more scenes to characters without stepping outside of one of their character traits, ending up being caricatures of the originals. This often happens too much (IMO) in Remake.

I guess Poochie hurts more because he's an original character, instead of an OG (turned up worse) character, and because he's so blatanty filler than they don't even bother to make him appear again after he did his job of filling up some Midgar hours.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I get that people didn't like Roche and that's fine, but Heidegger man, Heidegger... What a terrible, terrible villain and water off screen time every fucking time he was on screen. Did you really hate Roche more than Heidegger?

Heidegger was better and we got the up your ass scene from him unlike Roche who we got fuck all from but 100% entire cringe.

Dola

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Wow!! Didn't expect all that hate for him.
My first thought was " this looks like a FF character".
Need to see more of him in ch2.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Heidegger was bad in the OG but he's so fucking worse in Remake yeah. That's the problem of adding more scenes to characters without stepping outside of one of their character traits, ending up being caricatures of the originals. This often happens too much (IMO) in Remake.

I guess Poochie hurts more because he's an original character, instead of an OG (turned up worse) character, and because he's so blatanty filler than they don't even bother to make him appear again after he did his job of filling up some Midgar hours.

Eh, Heidegger was a cartoon in the OG and he was a cartoon in the Remake. Unlike other characters, they didn't dial down his cartooniness.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Yeah Heidegger was way worse. Every scene of him growling at the screens and yelling at his minions was so goofy.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I was cool with the sequence and battle and stuff but it was just a bit tooooo over the top. Not terrible though, I wouldn't mind if he came back in the future.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Did we even get the "gya-ha-ha" from Heidegger? Just sounded like a normal, sinister laugh and I was waiting for that hard G, dammit. Same with Scarlet's cackle.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
No lies detected.

I hope he comes back for Part 2.
The real question is: does he fuck guys and girls more or his bike more?

I fucking loved roache though and I can't wait to see him more. Either have him go crazy from to much mako and you have to kill him the last part of he joins your team the last part and you got a badass motercycle fighter on your team!!! Let's Take it past the red line

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I love Roche.

Everytime he was off screen, I was Legitimately thinking, "Where's Roche?"

He was the kind of goofy, clean bossfight I wanted to see again in the game, but considering the stakes and situation at the end of the game, and he would've undercut the Rufas fight if he was fought after him, so I understand.

I'm just really looking forward to more fights in the sequel, and hopefully he gets to be an awesome supporting character by the time the Weapons show up

Because you can't tell me you don't want to see him drive his motorcycle into a freaking weapon and do some Attack On Titan shit.

I loved him, just the kinda goofy I hope we get to see out of future Soldier Operatives.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I liked Roche because he helps players understand SOLDIER more. He is an intentionally over the top character to show how unhinged and messed up SOLDIERs can be. I think this, in combination with learning about the Mako-induced cellular degradation later on, has interesting implications for our central protagonist Cloud. Sometimes characters are good not because of their individual qualities, but because of how they mirror or compare with members of the main cast. I can dislike a character's personality, but still appreciate their presence in a story because of what they mean for the other more important characters.

I'd be very surprised if he does not come back in the sequels. If he does not return, then I'd say his introduction was more of a waste with no payoff as many others here seem to think, but the jury is honestly still out on that.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This isn't much of a big spoiler or anything but since OP hasn't played much of the game I'm putting it in spoilers anyways

It's dumb that the game introduces him in a way that makes him seem like a reoccurring character only for him to never show up again. He could have been cool but as is it's whatever.

Yeah I was expecting him to show up again at the end but nope.

Also I liked the over the top moves he had and fight with Cloud on the bike, was pure crazy anime nonsense but was great

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The original FF7 treated SOLDIER quite seriously (you only see a few of them), but there's a sort of reverence amongst the populace for this organization as very professional and sort of low key. Roche being in SOLDIER, and being as crazy as he was, was odd to me.

Even FF7's compilation, which filled in backstory details on losers like Genesis and Angeal, made them self-serious (and obviously poorly written) and sanctimonious, but never...ridiculous. Roche was just bonkers. I didn't like the read through for the world building of Shinra's military, honestly.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Roche is the perfect marketing filler cool character that appeals to the impresionable.

latest

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think your opinion on Roche changes based on whether you played the original or not. I haven't so I found him enjoyable and wondered where the fuck he went. For others, he probably seems like an irritant to an already established story.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
His Japanese dub is also pretty fun

MY FRIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEND

He is a dumbass goofball. i Like him.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
He left no impression on me. I forgot about him 10 minutes after he disappeared.

I don't mind if they bring him back but there needs to be more to him than just laughing and swinging around a motorcycle.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really fun character. Didn't really need too much more of what we got but I enjoyed that chapter a lot

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I think your opinion on Roche changes based on whether you played the original or not. I haven't so I found him enjoyable and wondered where the fuck he went. For others, he probably seems like an irritant to an already established story.
I don't think it's that. I've heard criticism and praise for him on both sides from people who played the original and who those who haven't. There are far worse detours from the main story in Remake.

For me, Chapter 3 was so dull and I was super curious about where that Jessie story was gonna go and that chapter just hit hard from so many different angles while being really good for the side characters you weren't going to see for a while because future detours both main plot and filler.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was a great addition. Really fun character. Yes he's crazy, but it works because everyone knows he's crazy.

Before he shows up in the Corkscrew Tunnel, the other security guards are worried he might show up and they try to back off before he arrives, because Roche has a reputation for recklessly disregarding the safety of his colleagues. And indeed, when he crashes the party he does so by driving up a wall and goomba-stomping a guard's bike so that can springboard into action, lol.

Roche may be psychotic because the mako is poisoning his mind. Wouldn't it be neat if, in Part 2 or Part 3, we fight him again but now he's even more insane? His body could also start falling apart over time due to the advanced cellular degradation, so that by the final battle with him he is a shambling husk of himself. Would be interesting.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

The original's one of my all time favorite games and I thought Roche was great. I didn't feel he clashed with the setting or game at all. Realistically what's the difference between him and a character like Reno? Both are quirky miniboss characters, one is just superpowered with a motorbike.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I liked Roche because he helps players understand SOLDIER more. He is an intentionally over the top character to show how unhinged and messed up SOLDIERs can be. I think this, in combination with learning about the Mako-induced cellular degradation later on, has interesting implications for our central protagonist Cloud. Sometimes characters are good not because of their individual qualities, but because of how they mirror or compare with members of the main cast. I can dislike a character's personality, but still appreciate their presence in a story because of what they mean for the other more important characters.

I'd be very surprised if he does not come back in the sequels. If he does not return, then I'd say his introduction was more of a waste with no payoff as many others here seem to think, but the jury is honestly still out on that.

Ultimania just confirmed that Cloud is actually immune to cellular degradation because of certain elements that you won't find out until later in the remake.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to hate him but ended up really enjoying his dumb antics. My only gripe is that he just...disappears.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Nomura wanted to put those 3 weird bros from Advent Children into the game, so he created Roche.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Love him. Great tonal shift and just a ton of fun especially after the heavy section with Jesse's parents

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Roche too much. His chapter was kinda cool but the story completely forgot about him afterwards. Hopefully he shows up in subsequent entries and has a better role. He could be used as the player's vision into just how much Mako infusion can fuck with someone and what being a SOLDIER is really like.

Nov 1, 2017
The absolute worse part of the remake so far. Him spinning around his bike through the air like a boomerang was beyond stupid. You know all the stupid shit they added to the spin offs of FFVII? It's that stupid type of writing that gave us Roche.

Cool he ain't, try hard he is.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Absolute trash. Doesn't fit the tone of the game at all and doesn't really make sense from a larger lore standpoint either.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping Roche would be an opportunity for some Soldier/Shinra world building, something, anything-! Nah, he was there for boss fights and to be annoying.

...he'll definitely be returning in the future. Sigh.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
This is barely an inference at worse it's an asspull.

What about "crazy guy destroys other Shinra soldiers without repercussions" builds SOLDIER at all?

This is my big problem with the Remake as a whole. It tries to add things and then doesn't follow through with them. We know fuck all about Roche. In the sequence of events in the game, he blatantly blows up and destroys other Shinra agents and is never brought up again. Not with the team at Shinra or by the other characters ever again. The issue with the plot threads built in the Remake is that they want to keep the OG like the OG for the most part so they don't know how or don't want to insert the new stuff in.

Roche showing how "unhinged and messed up SOLDIER can be" is nothing without making inferences based on extended material or from your own head canon. What you get from the material itself is Roche shows up, supposedly is SOLDIER, fucks around, and then fucks off. He's never heard from again, there are no consequences of his actions, and no one ever brings it up. Saying it is an example of how bad SOLDIER is doesn't hold water based on the text provided.

That being said Chapter 4 was a mess all around. The "new look at the Plate" was a single street and a parking lot, the guards are knocked out and they never explain why or who did it, AVALANCHE other cells come in and then disappear until they're needed again later, and almost nothing of consequence happens.

The new content in the game is constantly at odds with the old, and it shows because anything new that's added is quickly shoved to the side when we need to get back to the old content until the ending.