• Yes

Votes: 224 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 395 43.0%
  • More!

Votes: 300 32.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
He is definetly one of the better parts of the filler.

That's not high praise though. A lot of the filler just sucked. I like the pacing of the original game more.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I love Roche, but I also expect him to turn out to be, in a future episode, a brainwashed character from the original game that was (thought to be) dead at the time of these events.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I just thought it was weird that he never showed up for the final bike segment. Otherwise, his character is a cookey SOLIDER guy and well, there are lots of those so no biggie lol. He definitely comes off as being sexual towards Cloud or at least I interpret him that way but I liked it lol

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He sucked. Came and went like the wind and just left me confused as to why he even existed. Was way too goofy too.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just thought it was weird that he never showed up for the final bike segment. Otherwise, his character is a cookey SOLIDER guy and well, there are lots of those so no biggie lol. He definitely comes off as being sexual towards Cloud or at least I interpret him that way but I liked it lol
I would be okay with Cloud abandoning his love square to get wild with Roche.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of neutral. I just found his inclusion weird because there is no other context for him showing up and unless they have some grand plan for him to return later and have this whole weird backstory that ties into the main plot or something I don't understand why he is even a thing.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't mind "filler." Stories don't exist as bullet points, and it's refreshing to develop the characters on a more personal level away from the main conflict. I feel that many 90s and some 2000s RPGs have the tendency to shift the storytelling towards furthering the plot more than treating their characters like living beings. That said, I largely enjoyed Roche because he was clearly a fun teaser for something coming up in a future installment. His inclusion also contextualized SOLDIERs earlier on in the story as well.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it reminded me of the worst parts of FFXIII. Character didn't feel like they belonged in the universe. Underutilized and underdeveloped. And just popped in and out.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I hate this guy. I didn't even catch his name tbh. As someone who isn't obsessed with FF7 lore, who the fuck was he? Shinra's employee? He just came out of nowhere, then gone as fast as when he showed up.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Roche was the first of a few unique "SOLDIER" bosses throughout the game but was disappointed he seemed like the only one. I wouldn'tve have minded him if it wasn't for the dumb fucking motorcycle acrobatic bullshit. So fucking cheesy.

voodew

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me wince to see people so lightly throw around the word filler. Filler is a lot worse than Roche, filler is literal substanceless padding. At least Square's trying something with him, it's clear they're establishing him for appearances in later games. If this game is going to be a multi-part series what's wrong with story hooks that pay off later in other entries?

Also, really? The anime motorcycle man is too tonally dissonant for a game with comically over-the-top villains,
space sword fights,
and a talking cat and dog? Where's the dissonance? Can someone explain.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
FFVIIR is anime as fuck and when it lands it's great. When it doesn't it's kind of just cringe. Roche was cringey.

I was embarassed playing the game whenever he came on screen. Cringe to the max.

Yeah but he was purposefully cringey. Cloud and Jessie, for instance, just insult him for his absurdity the whole time.

I hate this guy. I didn't even catch his name tbh. As someone who isn't obsessed with FF7 lore, who the fuck was he? Shinra's employee? He just came out of nowhere, then gone as fast as when he showed up.

He's a SOLDIER so yes, he works for Shinra.

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I really like Maximilian's theory that he's there as world-building to show us how batshit insane SOLDIERs are, and can be used in later installments to show us what happens as a SOLDIER starts to deteriorate, culminating in a final confrontation where he is a husk of himself, unable to remember Cloud or why he needs to attack him in the first place.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed him. He gave further context on the reputation SOLDIERs have in the world. Fight was fun too. And the music, like pretty much all the remake's music, is amazing.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's about as one note as Genesis with a more entertaining personality, but the mullet cancels that out. He's probably also super into Cloud now, because another obsessed stalker is exactly what Cloud needed… so yeah, not a fan right now.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
He is amazing
Would love to see him do some more dumb shit
I like him way better than those other two idiots (Rude and red haired guy)

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Is this just how all the "cool kids" talk now?
I don't know. I'd have to ask one. But Roche should take a note from someone, because they'd assuredly be cooler than him. I get that it's a "character" but he doesn't talk like a human. My eyes were in the back of my head while playing any scene he was in. Square Enix totally missed the mark.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved him, especially the accompanying awesome music that plays during his scenes. Mostly all the characters in this game are just so likable, even the enemies. I can't think of a single game that has as many likable characters as FF7 Remake. Love Johnny, too!

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Loved Roche! Not only was it a great fight, following a great fight, in a great chapter, but he represented some of the high octane wacky energy the villains in the series channel. I couldn't get over people talking about how much less grounded he was compared to other villains. In a game with Heidegger, Scarlet and Palmer somehow Roche was too much? Lol.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Chapter 4 was my favourite chapter but not for Roche, more for Jessie's backstory and how tragic it is in hindsight... she had a life that almost anyone else would have died for.

Roche was fun though; I was really surprised that he didn't show up again in Chapter 17.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Terrible character. I was surprised he fucks off after chapter 4. All of Nomura's worst Kingdom Hearts bullshit in one character.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand him. He looks and acts like a Kingdom Hearts reject.

If he had started saying he was half Xehonart I would have believed it.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Everything about him is so dumb it is kinda entertaining. Then again you can say that about FF7 in general.