• Yes

Votes: 224 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 395 43.0%
  • More!

Votes: 300 32.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Reminded me of Liquid from Metal Gear Solid in terms of ridiculousness and I kinda dug it. That whole chapter was supposed to just be a bit of fun and a break from the main story and he fit the arc very well. If he appeared at Costa del Sol as well it would again be a fit. I think narratively he was completely fine he fit what SE was clearly going for with that chapter. People mention 'cringey' dialogue but that is kind of the point of him; all the characters know he's cheesy as hell - the writing shows that the scenario contained is self-aware of how over the top it is. Some may not like it but he was in the game so you could have a fun encounter with someone "in" soldier.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aerith, despite knowing her fate, will sacrifice herself to save your newest party member, Roche.

it will be very dramatic.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Chapter 4 was the type of filler I really enjoyed and hoped we got more of to flesh out the characters and world.

Sadly the rest of the filler content did not live up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Reminded me of Liquid from Metal Gear Solid in terms of ridiculousness and I kinda dug it. That whole chapter was supposed to just be a bit of fun and a break from the main story and he fit the arc very well. If he appeared at Costa del Sol as well it would again be a fit. I think narratively he was completely fine he fit what SE was clearly going for with that chapter. People mention 'cringey' dialogue but that is kind of the point of him; all the characters know he's cheesy as hell - the writing shows that the scenario contained is self-aware of how over the top it is.
He feels more like a worse Sam if we're going with MGS comparisons, in my opinion.
I'm definitely curious to figure out what his deal is though.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
He's a little much for me, but I still really really likes him. His fight was fun and I definitely hope to see him come back. Especially if they do what Maximilian (?) mentioned as a possibility with the deteriorating of his psyche and body. Imagine fighting a slightly more crazy and less over the top anime version in part two and fighting a sad husk in part 3 (kind of like Vendrick from Dark Souls 2).

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
He feels more like a worse Sam if we're going with MGS comparisons, in my opinion.
I'm definitely curious to figure out what his deal is though.
But we know some of his deal. He's bored and gets off on challenge. That's why he's drawn to Cloud. Oh, someone like me who can push me to my limits and give me the fight that I want and push me to be even better. That's what he wants.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like he was included just so we could have a "hey, who's that character? new content!" moment with trailers that included his scenes before release.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Horrible dialogue, cringed all the way through

good job for Square then. They succeeded.

Some of you guys seems to miss the point why he is cringe worthy to the point that even cloud & gang cringed when Roche's on screen.

He's not made to be 'cool' and if you find him cringe worthy, then i guess square accomplished their mission.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
He's extremely tropey, anyone who's ever watched an anime in their life has seen a hundred of these boring fuckers. Probably thought up in an afternoon on the back of a napkin.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he gets a promotion in each game so he's a First Class by the last game and wields the bike like a sword.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
He was very cringey, but at least he was fun and intense compared to someone like Leslie who was also cringey but had nothing to make up for it. I'd much rather have Roche show up again in future parts, at least I'd know it'd be interesting.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
He was very cringey, but at least he was fun and intense compared to someone like Leslie who was also cringey but had nothing to make up for it. I'd much rather have Roche show up again in future parts, at least I'd know it'd be interesting.
I genuinely don't understand what cringey means anymore the way everyone uses it so liberally.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
giphy.gif

Roche Caboom was a fine addition
7a7a7209072ae5aa5cf390e77864b7d1fe67d108.gifv

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed chapter 4.

I wish there was more like it in the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He looks cool and I love the cutscenes... but they did not even bother to write him an interesting character.

He's just a crazy dude that loves his own theatrics and laughs maniacally, so basically like that awful Org. XIII character Nomura became obsessed with after the stupid KH spinoff. So he's clearly some Nomura insert and it just sucks.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
He looks cool and I love the cutscenes... but they did not even bother to write him an interesting character.

He's just a crazy dude that loves his own theatrics and laughs maniacally, so basically like that awful Org. XIII character Nomura became obsessed with after the stupid KH spinoff. So he's clearly some Nomura insert and it just sucks.
Yep, I had strong Demyx vibes with Roche. They even look kinda similar.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Disliked Roche with a passion.
He screamed "woah check me out, I'm your over the top anime rival guy because Final Fantasy is anime now."
I enjoyed every part of Chapter 4 that didn't include Roche in it.

Chapter 4 was a real inflection point for me when I realized that as much reverence as the team had for the original game, some of the staff (Nomura most likely) had a disdain for what they made in the 90's and sought to pepper the game with modern sensibilities.... like anime motorcycle bro, mindless fetch quests, hold triangle for too long to flip switches, and copy/paste dungeons that go on too long.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
And it was the first real thing they showed after Nomura had become the director so my guess is that they were looking at what they had in the scenario after the project was pulled away from CyberConnect2 and it was Nomura's first directive to introduce this guy.

That's why I think he ends up fizzling out of the story again. I think once they got properly seated and looked at some of the results they realized they shouldn't go and insert a lot of new characters in this kind of way, and Nomura could even see it. I'm sorta half-half on whether we will ever see Roche again honestly. Almost no one cared about him.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
He was basically just introduced and that's it. Served fine as a boss for new story content. Generic blood knight archtype, which is not bad since that character is currently not represented in the entire roster of characters. Has a lot of potential as a tool for character progression with several other characters. So for me, it all depends on what they do with him moving forward.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
And it was the first real thing they showed after Nomura had become the director so my guess is that they were looking at what they had in the scenario after the project was pulled away from CyberConnect2 and it was Nomura's first directive to introduce this guy.

That's why I think he ends up fizzling out of the story again. I think once they got properly seated and looked at some of the results they realized they shouldn't go and insert a lot of new characters in this kind of way, and Nomura could even see it. I'm sorta half-half on whether we will ever see Roche again honestly. Almost no one cared about him.
Who is almost no one?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Roche made me feel like Kiryu was going to show up out of nowhere and have a shirtless fight atop a building with him. This is my way of saying I vibed with him.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This dude is so wonderfully animated that it's hard not to be entertained.
OUSA8cV.gif

That little bike swerve he does is so good.

Nov 13, 2017
The whole damn mission was filler. I didn't personally need an extra motorcycle section either. Followed by a boss fight against a guy that can do all these amazing moves and Cloud can only do pretty basic shit. It was annoying.

Then later on our team is about to lose/die/be captured and Roche Ex Machina shows up to save the day... his motorcycle repaired in record time.

The whole thing felt like pointless filler to me with some really bad writing on top. I would have normally liked Roche but every time this game was padding the experience I just wanted to get to the next big story moment. They should have found a better way to introduce him. Hell even replace motorball with him. I would have been ok with that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
It's kinda weird that
he doesn't show up at all after Chapter 4 and doesn't show up during the bike chase in Chapter 18

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
You really just linked me to a 90 minute video for a word. Kinda cringe. (See, that's what that sounds like to me).
You said you genuinely don't understand it and I linked you to the best explanatory piece I know. Words have meaning, so the video is about the meaning. Not the word. Sorry.

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
The moment I saw him I was like this is so blatantly a nomura character I just looked into the camera like I was in the office. Loved the fight though.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
He's basically another organisation xiii member and detracts from the world of the game. Basically every cutscene involving the bikes edges to close to advent children for my liking.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The whole damn mission was filler. I didn't personally need an extra motorcycle section either. Followed by a boss fight against a guy that can do all these amazing moves and Cloud can only do pretty basic shit. It was annoying.

Then later on our team is about to lose/die/be captured and Roche Ex Machina shows up to save the day... his motorcycle repaired in record time.

The whole thing felt like pointless filler to me with some really bad writing on top. I would have normally liked Roche but every time this game was padding the experience I just wanted to get to the next big story moment. They should have found a better way to introduce him. Hell even replace motorball with him. I would have been ok with that.

I just assumed that someone gave him a new bike that was the exact same model not his bike being repaired

Aside from character design, these could not be further apart.

I guess they're both friendly to the enemy but Demyx is a lazy, lovable coward whereas Roche is a maniacal Blood Knight with a boner for the MC.