• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roche?

• Yes

Votes: 224 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 395 43.0%
  • More!

Votes: 300 32.6%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
He's fun but I wish he showed up again. Seemed like something was cut. hopefully he's in sequels.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Roche's personality is great. His intro was ridiculous and I loved his motorcycle acrobatics, and I wish they'd covered his back story a little more.

Some of the characters in this game feel like they're lifted from elsewhere, like Yakuza or DMC or something, which I'm not complaining about but it did come across as a little weird or out of place at first. Shinra Middle Manager is another of them, for example.

Also, Johnny was really irritating initially and grew on me, but I'm still kind of ehhh about him. I just remember him as the guy who spent time with Tifa in the og and never expected to see him in the remake.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was garbage but the impression I got in the OT was people wanted as much ridiculous, over the top Kingdom Hearts/MGS type stuff as possible

The music in the motorbike chase is the worst in the game as well

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
My confusion is that he's a class 3 SOLDIER status. Why is he a "boss" when we fight plenty of class 3 SOLDIER as regular enemies throughout this game?

Last edited:

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I think he was great. Shame he only showed up twice. I'm excited to see what they do with him in the next installments.

PsychoRabbit

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
lol these haters, even Roche isn't safe around them haha
For me, I'd love to see more of him, liked his character and his personality reminded me the earlier moments on Crisis Core where people want to be soldier to show off, be cooler and have fun

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was great. So ridiculously over the top and anime, but in a good way lol.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If you remove him from the game and replace him with literally any big robot boss...nothing changes at all in the game.

He's pretty stupid.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I don't think I liked any of the new characters. Between Pochie the Soldier, Yuffie 0.5, the random nobody Leslie and a bunch of sex traffickers at Wall Market...yeah.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is amazing, I wish we got more of him in Part 1 but there's always Part 2 and so forth. I enjoy his role as a show of how fucked up people in SOLDIER end up being.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
astonished by the Roche hate. He was awesome! He seemed like he was straight out of the 90s

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Roche is like the embodiment of a moment where the rest of Square had to give Nomura a moment or two to unleash himself in order to keep the rest of the game on track.

"This game's characters are too likeable! We need horrible anime bullshit and motorcycle ballet!"

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot he existed and when we got to the sequence in Chapter 18 I expected him to show up but nah.
I bet we'll see him again at the Golden Saucer.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Why do people play JRPGs if they're so deathly afraid of "anime tropes?" So bizarre.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I was enjoying a nice bike action sequence and then FF7AC happened. Oh well.

It was nice to see an actual soldier in the game though.

Oct 27, 2017
He's essentially the personification of this dril tweet.
3e1ac6739639c4e65f0f27fa561e137f3560a97f268f203e61d7c72db78b656f_1.jpg

Personally loved the fight, was kind of disappointed that he didn't show up in the final motorcycle chase.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
As a first-time FF7 player, my only disappointment is he just disappears. He was one of the few characters that seemed to be having fun and I figured he was like a warning about what happens to SOLDIERS after being exposed to too much Mako and war.

I felt like I understood him. Meanwhile, I was just scratching my head at Sephiroth.

Literally took the words right outta my mouth! Thanks bro! Totally agreed lol

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
That was the chapter I knew I was gonna love the game. Having not known anything about FF7 prior it kind of highlighted to me that "Soldier" guys are all weirdos that live for a good fight and have over the top hairdos and what not. Wondering how they are gonna use him in the next games.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
You don't fight any SOLDIERs in the remake besides Roche, you fight Shinra soldiers.
You most definitely do fight SOLDIERs.

finalfantasy.fandom.com

3-C SOLDIER Operator

Special troopers that have been enhanced with mako energy. SOLDIERs are divided into three classes, based on their capabilities. The 3rd class is the lowest, but even they are vastly more effective than standard troopers.Enemy details The 3-C SOLDIER Operator is an enemy in Final Fantasy VII...

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
They're clearly labelled "3-C SOLDIER" though, like the ones found in the undergound car park at Shinra HQ.
You most definitely do fight SOLDIERs.

finalfantasy.fandom.com

3-C SOLDIER Operator

Special troopers that have been enhanced with mako energy. SOLDIERs are divided into three classes, based on their capabilities. The 3rd class is the lowest, but even they are vastly more effective than standard troopers.Enemy details The 3-C SOLDIER Operator is an enemy in Final Fantasy VII...
Lol what the heck I completely forgot about that somehow. That is kind of dumb then lol

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
I hated him, way too over the top, all his scenes with him spinning his bike are just so stupid.

Worst thing I've seen in the remake so far.

Oct 25, 2017
He was surprising to be a new addition that got a spotlight in the trailers but added very little to the story. I didn't really like him. Maybe they'll do something cool with him in Part 2. He felt kind of like he filled the role of the Turks but was way worse.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was a fun way to show where Cloud learned to ride that motorcycle like an asshole thanks to his ability to pick skills up almost instantaneously.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what the heck I completely forgot about that somehow. That is kind of dumb then lol

It's not really that dumb.

As I recall, the SOLDIERs in Third Class were basically mass produced warriors and only a small number of them even made it to Second Class. To go from Second Class to First Class basically never happened and I'm pretty sure the designation was specifically made for Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis - who were not recruited for the SOLDIER program, but created for it. Zack may very well be the only person to ever get promoted from Second Class to First Class, which is why Reno obviously doesn't believe Cloud in the remake when he says he is one.

I think, after Shinra lost all four of its SOLDIER First Class, they simply stopped making any more SOLDIERs at all. Whether it's because Project S and Project G were shelved since Sephiroth and Genesis both went crazy or because, as Zack proved, even one SOLDIER going rogue practically requires an entire army to deal with, I dunno.

Either way, whatever SOLDIERs were left, they clearly aren't considered much of an elite force any more if they're stuck guarding garages.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
He's absolutely terrible, but there is something hilarious about the fact that he never shows up again.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
He is so awful he loops back around to being great.

At first i was like, who the fuck is this goober?

But he grew on me, healing cloud was such a baller move, by the end i was rooting for him, i hope that cheeseball gets a cameo in the following parts.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
My confusion is that he's a class 3 SOLDIER status. Why is he a "boss" when we've right plenty of class 3 SOLDIER as regular enemies throughout this game?

He's got the skills to be higher up but he's such a menace to even friendlies that he stays a 3rd class.

It's not just skills that make you 2nd or 1st Class. You also have to have the right temperament which Roche does not.

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Roche Johnny, and Leslie, kept this game from quite being a 9 for me. And the other filler. And the story ending stuff

oh and the level design.
Dang, the good parts were really good now that I think about it to make up lol

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind him at all. His boss battle was absolutely a highlight of the game for me cinematically, and probably was a point in the game for me where the battle system really started to click. His battle theme was also one of the best tracks in the game.

Honestly, I was much more put off by the constant Sephiroth encounters and the scene direction with those. It got old well before the end of the game and they kept going with it.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I disagree. He was easily the worst fucking part of the game.
I get that people didn't like Roche and that's fine, but Heidegger man, Heidegger... What a terrible, terrible villain and water off screen time every fucking time he was on screen. Did you really hate Roche more than Heidegger?