Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This HAS to be a crossgen title considering the amount of time they're taking and not willing to reveal anything yet.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
You know if it was a Justice League I would totally understand why they are taking so damn long. But since its not that, then I guess it must be one hell of an ambitious title and its not even Superman either o_O.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna agree with those speculating that Sony has marketing rights and they're saving it for a Sony event that will happen... whenever...

Any other companies we know of skipping E3, possibly for the same reason?

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Eh, I'm not sweating it. Last game was and still is gorgeous. Pedigree speaks for itself. Take your time, RS. Plenty to play in the meantime.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
It might just be a Destiny clone because those take forever to make and Rocksteady is a tiny studio.
giphy.gif

Save us WB Montreal!

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me wonder if WB canceled an earlier project they were working on and then they had to start from scratch. WB is known to do that with their game studios unfortunately. Hopefully we might hear more about this from Jason Schreier.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady is really going to make a Suicide Squad loot shooter for 6 years.

How does this end well.
Yeah that's really underwhelming.

DC games were kicking ass for 6 years with the Arkham trilogy, they had the perfect opportunity to expand into more. Now, in a world with Marvel having Spider-Man, Avengers, Guardians, Ultimate Alliance 3, and a Spider-Man sequel in the works, it seems like DC is falling behind yet again.

6 years for a Justice League game would've been worth the wait. 6 years for a "create your own squad member" game sounds soooo lame.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck, two E3s in a row.

Not that I fault them, take your time and what not.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It sucks, that's why I'm glad at least one studio whose games I love has been prolific this generation-
yakuza-games.jpg
I love the Yakuza franchise, but c'mon

They utilize the same Kamurocho in every game, with very similar combat system for each one of them. Not a fair comparison.

FROM Software, though. They are impressive.

Jul 13, 2018

DC games were kicking ass for 6 years with the Arkham trilogy, they had the perfect opportunity to expand into more. Now, in a world with Marvel having Spider-Man, Avengers, Guardians, Ultimate Alliance 3, and a Spider-Man sequel in the works, it seems like DC is falling behind yet again.

6 years for a Justice League game would've been worth the wait. 6 years for a "create your own squad member" game sounds soooo lame.
100% Agreed.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Well....that sucks.

The Arkham games are great. Really hope we hear from them at some point this year.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think if you thought they were taking this long and then revealing the game the year before next gen, you were probably a little too enthusiastic. You're only getting the expected games this year. THere will be nothing surprising. Get excited for what's actually announced like Gears 5, BL3, Star Wars Respawn, Watch Dogs 3, and Death Stranding.

BrickArts295

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, Arkham Knight came out in Summer 2015 and they made DLCs for the rest of 2015. Then they release Arkham VR in Late 2016. So thats possibly 3 years of development so far. And based on MK11 and Shadow of War's marketing, it seems WB would rather reveal the games when they are ready to ship the game within 6 months. Basically, we are not going to see this game until it is on its final stages.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Arkham Knight came out in Summer 2015 and they made DLCs for the rest of 2015. Then they release Arkham VR in Late 2016. So thats possibly 3 years of development so far. And based on MK11 and Shadow of War's marketing, it seems WB would rather reveal the games when they are ready to ship the game within 6 months. Basically, we are not going to see this game until it is on its final stages.
True. I remember them saying that, but I can't find the article/interview. This still leaves room for WB Montreal's Batman Court of Owls game to be announced at E3 with a Fall 2019 release date.

Jul 13, 2018
WB should consider venturing outside their 2 DC focused studios and accept pitches from other 3rd party AAA devs. I'm sure there are plenty of studios who would love to tackle characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
They're building essentially a AAA new IP from the ground up and it's only been 3 years, Alot of games are in pre production for longer than that.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered, are publishers cool releasing on next gen platforms with a user base of like 10 million vs 150 of ps4/Xbox?
Pretty clearly they are, yes, but it's probably worth quickly running through the reasons for that:

1. Not all of the ~150m current generation consoles that are likely to have been sold in the near future will be in use. Some will be broken, some will be sitting in closets or on shelves having been replaced by the fancier version of themselves, some will be media boxes that barely ever (or simply never) play games. That 150m is probably closer to 100m active consoles being used for gaming on a regular basis.

2. Many of the people who are using their consoles will only be using them for a small number of games, and after years of owning the console they'll have bought most of what they might be interested in, and only be buying maybe one or two games a year (and for a substantial number of them that's going to be CoD or FIFA or Madden). Getting this audience to buy a game outside of their regular semi-annual purchases isn't easy.

3. By 2020 each new game on PS4 and Xbox One will be competing against a huge library of games that's accumulated over seven years, and some of them will be extremely cheap, including some direct competition. Anyone who's remotely price sensitive has plenty of much cheaper choices, which includes an absolute ton of DC stuff, and also includes Rocksteady's previous games. By contrast, the new platforms will have a much smaller library of native games and each major release will find it much easier to stand out.

4. The 10m people who buy a console in year one will probably already own one or both of the other consoles, and are therefore in your 150m as well. That 10m+ will also be the most profitable chunk of the 150m console owners.

That's why PS4 versions of games were outselling PS3 versions really quickly. If you look at old NPD topics on some other site, even a few months after the PS4's launch, for most games on the chart the PS4 was listed ahead of the PS3 despite the PS3 having a massively higher user base. It was the same with Switch and 3DS - between April 2017 and June 2017, the 4.7m people who owned a Switch bought more software than the 67m people who owned a 3DS.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
I'm honestly glad they're taking their time and hopefully getting whatever they're doing right. I absolutely do not envy the teams figuring out how to market their new title though if any of the Games as a Service rumours are true. As soon as you even mention the words "Online" or "Live Game" or "Years of Content", people switch off and start to tear it down even before it's off the ground (with some valid reasons).

Rocksteady are a Quality Developer. Arkham Knight is still bat-sh*t insane in terms of production values and is still a fantastic generational example. I believe in Rocksteady.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
WB should consider venturing outside their 2 DC focused studios and accept pitches from other 3rd party AAA devs. I'm sure there are plenty of studios who would love to tackle characters such as Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc.
I'm not so sure there are, not at an AAA level anyway. I think a lot of them would worry that there was a big risk they could spend three years developing, say, an astoundingly brilliant Superman game, strengthening one of Warner's major brands, and then Warner could turn around and continue that series themselves, maybe even grabbing the developer.

(If this sounds far-fetched, it is literally what happened with Arkham Asylum, originally published by Square Enix.)

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'd rather have them take their time than rush anything. Aside from Arkham VR, it's been like 5 years since we've seen anything from them (Arkham Knight was revealed in 2014 and was slated for a 2014 release), and it's their only current-gen title. Whatever they're working, it's gonna be big and it's gonna be next-gen forsure

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

I almost threw up at the thought of this. I hope it isn't this.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Warner Brothers has to be looking at their watch and the dollars they are spending and saying is this worth it at this point?

Around 5+ years between games. Only releasing 1 this generation most likely?

Edit: Forgot about Arkham VR so not that bad but that game is really short isnt it?

MattyRatk

Banned
Apr 11, 2018
I almost threw up at the thought of this. I hope it isn't this.
Sadly it's pointing towards a Suicide Squad game of sorts...

Suicide Squad..

Out of the dozens of amazong DC properties like superman or even the dam justice league... they choose Suicide Squad. Aka the villians and they do Games as a service.

It's disappointing to me. Others may enjoy it but not me. But I'l probably still buy it.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Warner Brothers has to be looking at their watch and the dollars they are spending and saying is this worth it at this point?

Around 5+ years between games. Only releasing 1 this generation most likely?

It hasn't been 5 years, they released Arkham VR in late 2016, it's been less than 3 years and it's not uncommon for AAA games being built from the ground up to take 5+ years.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
At the start of this gen,WB games shaping up to be one of the big players. Yet outside of their Lego games (which probably do sell bonkers mind you), MK11 is their 1st AAA release since 2017 and they have nothing officially announced going forward (though we know Rocksteady must be doing something and there's the Harry Potter leaked game).

I feel crazy for thinking this publisher would have their own E3 shows a few years back.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks
Pretty clearly they are, yes, but it's probably worth quickly running through the reasons for that:

1. Not all of the ~150m current generation consoles that are likely to have been sold in the near future will be in use. Some will be broken, some will be sitting in closets or on shelves having been replaced by the fancier version of themselves, some will be media boxes that barely ever (or simply never) play games. That 150m is probably closer to 100m active consoles being used for gaming on a regular basis.

2. Many of the people who are using their consoles will only be using them for a small number of games, and after years of owning the console they'll have bought most of what they might be interested in, and only be buying maybe one or two games a year (and for a substantial number of them that's going to be CoD or FIFA or Madden). Getting this audience to buy a game outside of their regular semi-annual purchases isn't easy.

3. By 2020 each new game on PS4 and Xbox One will be competing against a huge library of games that's accumulated over seven years, and some of them will be extremely cheap, including some direct competition. Anyone who's remotely price sensitive has plenty of much cheaper choices, which includes an absolute ton of DC stuff, and also includes Rocksteady's previous games. By contrast, the new platforms will have a much smaller library of native games and each major release will find it much easier to stand out.

4. The 10m people who buy a console in year one will probably already own one or both of the other consoles, and are therefore in your 150m as well. That 10m+ will also be the most profitable chunk of the 150m console owners.

That's why PS4 versions of games were outselling PS3 versions really quickly. If you look at old NPD topics on some other site, even a few months after the PS4's launch, for most games on the chart the PS4 was listed ahead of the PS3 despite the PS3 having a massively higher user base. It was the same with Switch and 3DS - between April 2017 and June 2017, the 4.7m people who owned a Switch bought more software than the 67m people who owned a 3DS.

Thanks

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
That's disappointing, but it is nice to get a heads up. Retro should put out tweets like that every e3.

Whatever they do, I hope we get some daytime gameplay and more vibrance. I love the Arkham series but hoping for something different.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Sadly it's pointing towards a Suicide Squad game of sorts...

Suicide Squad..

Out of the dozens of amazong DC properties like superman or even the dam justice league... they choose Suicide Squad. Aka the villians and they do Games as a service.

It's disappointing to me. Others may enjoy it but not me. But I'l probably still buy it.

Suicide Squad would be so sad to see from Rocksteady.
I know the movie isn't the best representation of what the Suicide Squad are but it sends a shiver down my spine thinking of Rocksteady tackling that property in a Destiny way. Same with James Gunn.

It's most likely gonna be "create your own DC character" but whether that means you play as a villain, hero, hero w/ powers, etc is anyone's guess. I just hope it'll be worth it.

I'm not going to be quick to jump on the hate wagon, I'd like to at least see it in action before I react in anyway. But just reading what you guys are saying it physically hurts.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Suicide Squad would be so sad to see from Rocksteady.
I know the movie isn't the best representation of what the Suicide Squad are but it sends a shiver down my spine thinking of Rocksteady tackling that property in a Destiny way. Same with James Gunn.

I'm not going to be quick to jump on the hate wagon, I'd like to at least see it in action before I react in anyway. But just reading what you guys are saying it physically hurts.
It's certainly disappointing. After all this time it makes you wonder just what in the hell is going on internally. I hope someone like jschreier can chime in sometime in the future and let us know the inner workings of these two studios.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's certainly disappointing. After all this time it makes you wonder just what in the hell is going on internally. I hope someone like jschreier can chime in sometime in the future and let us know the inner workings of these two studios.

That's what I too want to see happen. Something can't be going right for all these no shows. I think they should have kept quiet during this whole time.

Oct 29, 2017
Man what a bummer. I hope they're launching something close to the PS5 launch if we really aren't seeing anything from them this year.