• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

evilgenius

Dec 12, 2020
I have never played No Rest for the Wicked (or seen it), but in general the battery life of the Asus rog Ally is terrible. If battery life is important. In face offs videos between the two, Steam Deck oled often has 2-3 times longer battery life than the Asus rog Ally.

It's not a big deal for me though, I can just plug it in while in bed, on the sofa or most places except for outdoors, where I wouldn't play it anyway.
For me at least 2 hours it's ok , does the battery runs less then that with AAA at medium/low settings?

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an Ally running into issues would appreciate help. Google is failing me. A little background I haven't owned a PC in like 10 years, so trying to navigate windows I feel like an old man seeing a horseless carriage for the first time. I have Ea Play, downloaded The Jedi the Fallen Order, try to launch it, get an error it is already running. Also looking for a mod tutorial for the Ally, mainly for the game pass versions of Fallout. Like I said I feel like a 3 year old kid seeing a cloud for the first time, when it comes to Windows.
You're not going to get a lot out of the Fallout games on Game Pass due to the locked down nature of the Xbox app, if you really want to get into modding you need the Steam or GOG versions of the games.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
For me at least 2 hours it's ok , does the battery runs less then that with AAA at medium/low settings?
I usually get around 2 hours of battery playing AAA games at medium to high settings. If that's all you need, you should be okay.

I usually plug in when at home or have one of those sizable portable chargers to use if I'm on a flight or something to extend the battery life. I have both the Deck OLED and Ally and still consider the Ally my daily driver, but to be fair I usually max out at like 2 or 3 hours at best for gaming in a day.

evilgenius

Dec 12, 2020
I usually get around 2 hours of battery playing AAA games at medium to high settings. If that's all you need, you should be okay.

I usually plug in when at home or have one of those sizable portable chargers to use if I'm on a flight or something to extend the battery life. I have both the Deck OLED and Ally and still consider the Ally my daily driver, but to be fair I usually max out at like 2 or 3 hours at best for gaming in a day.
ok thanks, same I play max two hours at day

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Depends on the game really. A game like Starfield that needs 25w to run fine should get you around 1h battery life, while diablo 4 running at 15w lasts 1h30 or so. If you manage to get the game running at 10w, you can get past 2h easily though

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
I'm thinking about buying this instead of a steam deck but I'm worried about the battery, how many hours can I play for example No Rest For The Wicked at low setting?
I loved everything about mine except the clunkiness of Windows and the battery. I could live with the former, but the latter was too much, it truly is awful almost all the time. If you are fine with a cable in it near constantly then it's great - I thought I would be but I really didn't enjoy the experience, and found myself anxiously checking the battery indicator pretty much every few minutes I wasn't plugged in. With a Steam Deck OLED I don't have to worry about it at all, it lasts for as long as I use the thing every time,

So yeah, if you think you are like me (i.e. an anxious mess!) or if you plan to play a lot on the go, I wouldn't bother, but if not I would say go for it! It's a fantastic device in every other sense.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
One good way to extend battery life if you also have a gaming PC is to use Sunshine/Moonlight to stream from your PC to the Rog Ally rather than playing locally on the Ally. I have always had issues with playstation streaming and xbox streaming as I am VERY perceptive to any sort of lag and the set up i have going with moonlight from my PC is completely lag free. That allows me to run my Ally at a very low power consumption and get multiple hours of play time while still being able to play in bed or in the living room.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
One good way to extend battery life if you also have a gaming PC is to use Sunshine/Moonlight to stream from your PC to the Rog Ally rather than playing locally on the Ally. I have always had issues with playstation streaming and xbox streaming as I am VERY perceptive to any sort of lag and the set up i have going with moonlight from my PC is completely lag free. That allows me to run my Ally at a very low power consumption and get multiple hours of play time while still being able to play in bed or in the living room.
I still need to set this up on my Ally. Need to try it on my Claw as well.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'm thinking about buying this instead of a steam deck but I'm worried about the battery, how many hours can I play for example No Rest For The Wicked at low setting?

Battery's not great, if that's important to you I'd adjust expectations for what you're going to play on it to be "things that run well in silent (10 watt) mode". If you're still ok with that, it's a great device that will get you ~2 hours of battery, especially if you can switch the screen to 60Hz.

But if you're hoping to play Cyberpunk or whatever on battery for more than 45 mins, I'd not bother.

Full disclosure I love mine (base Z1) but I mostly play like 30-60 mins on the couch or in my office, I don't take it out for hours at a time.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
An OLED version of the ALLY with a bigger battery would be perfect. I'm hoping thats what the Xbox handheld ends up being. I use my Ally for Game Pass and other launchers and everything else on my deck.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
How's the value prop on a $400 non-Extreme? Worried I'd find it just too constrained for anything outside of 2D.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
How's the value prop on a $400 non-Extreme? Worried I'd find it just too constrained for anything outside of 2D.
Depends on the current price of the Extreme model. If you can get an Extreme in Open-Box Excellent for ~ $530 or less, then the value prop for a $400 non-extreme is very low. The main thing you're going to miss out on is games that require a good graphics card, which is most AAA games and some bigger indies of the last 5 years or so, as well as future ones. You'll be fine for older titles, but it won't be a very future-proof device.
Now if you can find it for $300, you're sitting good there.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the current price of the Extreme model. If you can get an Extreme in Open-Box Excellent for ~ $530 or less, then the value prop for a $400 non-extreme is very low. The main thing you're going to miss out on is games that require a good graphics card, which is most AAA games and some bigger indies of the last 5 years or so, as well as future ones. You'll be fine for older titles, but it won't be a very future-proof device.
Now if you can find it for $300, you're sitting good there.
Open box is $380 vs $566, but I'm about to return an "Excellent" Zephyrus G16 that came in all sketch so I was being wary. Figured I may as well upgrade to an SD OLED at the ~$550 range too, but I haven't compared closely on those options.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Open box is $380 vs $566, but I'm about to return an "Excellent" Zephyrus G16 that came in all sketch so I was being wary.
Gotcha, then yeah it's not too bad of a value proposition, as long as you go in knowing its limitations.
I have an Open Box Excellent Z1Extreme model that I got for $530 in November, and it was in perfect condition when I got it.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I am interested in the Rog Ally primarily as an emulation machine for PS2 and one Xbox game (Tork). I do not play native PC games at all, so performance on AAA games is irrelevant to me. For this use case, is the Extreme version significantly preferable?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
First impressions of afmf - I am getting 80 fps in shadow of the tomb raider with afmf and super resolution to get me from 1600x900 to 1920x1080. It looks good. Quite a bit less artifacting than lossless scaling around Lara. In the 10 min I messed with it, i am impressed!

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I am interested in the Rog Ally primarily as an emulation machine for PS2 and one Xbox game (Tork). I do not play native PC games at all, so performance on AAA games is irrelevant to me. For this use case, is the Extreme version significantly preferable?

I mean PS2 and Xbox are not demanding, a Steam Deck OLED might be better due to it being cheaper, and if you truly don't care about native PC games. Rog Extreme is great for it's 1080p, 120hz screen, extra power means you can drive older games to higher framerates and resolution, also indie games and some newer PC games compared to Steam Deck.
Steam Deck or hell a cheaper alternative emulation system might be better if you just purely want emulation.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

Non-extreme should handle PS2 about the same as extreme. PS3 is where you would see a significant gap with the difference of cores. Xbox might be more dicey but you're only playing one game.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
AFMF just lowers frames for me?

Playing Sand Land, was getting 50fps on 1080 plugged in 30W mode. Toggled on AFMF, made sure it was fullscreen, no vsync - dropped to 20fps. Felt the input lag but my god lol

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Gotcha, then yeah it's not too bad of a value proposition, as long as you go in knowing its limitations.I have an Open Box Excellent Z1Extreme model that I got for $530 in November, and it was in perfect condition when I got it.

Thanks! 👍🏼‍ $530 would be killer. I was looking into the G Cloud a while back for in-home streaming on its screen, so I'd be looking to treat the Z1 Ally as a G Cloud on steroids.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I haven't been keeping up with this thread since the end of last summer because I've been too busy to play much of anything frankly. But looks like a breather period is on the horizon. Please keep the AFMF impressions coming! I'm especially curious which games benefit from it the most.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I mean PS2 and Xbox are not demanding, a Steam Deck OLED might be better due to it being cheaper, and if you truly don't care about native PC games. Rog Extreme is great for it's 1080p, 120hz screen, extra power means you can drive older games to higher framerates and resolution, also indie games and some newer PC games compared to Steam Deck.
Steam Deck or hell a cheaper alternative emulation system might be better if you just purely want emulation.
Steam Deck is not cheaper than the non extreme Rog Ally (it's 399 at this time) and als I really dislike using the Steam Deck because of how its controls are set up, so that is not a good solution for me, even though I first thought so. Emulation handhelds would be nicer in general, and I still consider them, but they do not support Xbox. Thank you for your advice.

Non-extreme should handle PS2 about the same as extreme. PS3 is where you would see a significant gap with the difference of cores. Xbox might be more dicey but you're only playing one game.
Thank you. I can live with a bit less stable framerate for that single Xbox game. For PS3, I have already completed everything I want to play, so no need to emulate that one.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone dealing with stutters in games running off the SD card? It's certainly not the card itself, I bought a genuine Samsung Evo which worked just fine in the Deck before. Crystal Disk shows normal values when running the benchmark. Policy is set to performance. But the games run like shit - stutters, freezes, awful loading times. I am starting to think maybe the reader is starting to die. Any ideas?

edit: The card is formatted in exFAT but afaik that shouldn't matter.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
Anyone dealing with stutters in games running off the SD card? It's certainly not the card itself, I bought a genuine Samsung Evo which worked just fine in the Deck before. Crystal Disk shows normal values when running the benchmark. Policy is set to performance. But the games run like shit - stutters, freezes, awful loading times. I am starting to think maybe the reader is starting to die. Any ideas?

The readers on these are known to overheat and start ejecting cards. So perhaps yours is in some sort of stage of that.

ShinadaGOAT

Sep 3, 2018
I just tried AFMF on Hinkai satr rail. It didn't feel good at all. I noticed the FPS jumping all over the place when there is fast movement. I also noticed a lot of tearing when activated, does it also disable VRR?

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

This has been my experience using SD cards on the Ally as well. More pauses and stutters than the same card on steam deck. Nervous its because of thermal throttling or something.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions of afmf - I am getting 80 fps in shadow of the tomb raider with afmf and super resolution to get me from 1600x900 to 1920x1080. It looks good. Quite a bit less artifacting than lossless scaling around Lara. In the 10 min I messed with it, i am impressed!
Do I need to switch? Still loving Lossless

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Playing fallout 3 from gamepass on this. Game freezes it essentially forces me to restart the system. Even though menus are accessible and i can select programs to open it does not. Can't exit the game at all or open task manager to quit it. Have to restart all the time.