Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
I don't think the news that 2K is releasing a soccer game this year are true (we'd have way more concrete information by now).

That being said, I think it's likely that 2K Is developing a soccer game. They have been hiring a lot of former EA Sports devs who worked on FIFA and we know they actually do have a Lego soccer game in development.

Btw, if it's true I think this has more to do with PES imploding moreso than EA losing the FIFA license. PES sold 3-5 million units every year despite its obvious shortcomings compared to FIFA and generates a lot of revenue through MTX in both consoles and mobile. A 2K soccer game that competes toe-to-toe with FIFA has the potential to do better.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Feels kind of pointless for 2K to enter an agreement with FIFA. Sure it gets you the name recognition but is that really worth anything anymore? EA hasn't used the name for two games now (i think?) and it hasn't affected sales at all.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
as a gamer who just likes playing matches with real teams and real players... who doesn't touch MTX MyPlayer stuff, Madden and NBA2K are still good for that. Online Head to Head... etc.

so if FIFA2K has the graphics and animations of NBA2K, has the players or the teams...and we can edit the rest if need be.... I will be down Day 1.

if they pull a eFootball shit and make things complicated to just play VS stuff with real teams... then I won't be buying.

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
I hope they got it right and end up releasing a good game.

EA is releasing the same game since 2016 and Pro Evolution Soccer is dead. The football genre needs another good game.

Nov 28, 2017
Oh, football now. Not that EA are dissimilar saving grace of the industry, but can't wait for the next 2K Gambling Simulator™.

View: https://youtu.be/FwN4VYzD02g

Hope they don't private the video for their MyTeam (FUT 2K) on their channel when the community backfire is as severe as this one was.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
if it's just the fifa license, they may as well wait for the world cup in 2026. it's the one thing they'll have over EA FC

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
£100m a year to be associated with that trash organisation and useless licence that's used once every four years 🤣 2K would be morons to do this. Just make a good football game and the fans will come. Of course get the player licenses, they're far more important than the
toxic scum that are fifa.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
If it's real I'd love to know if they're paying as much as FIFA tried to wring from EA bc that would be absurd

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would imagine if FIFA are partnering up with 2K then they are likely dropping the ridiculous amount they demanded from EA. FIFA must realise now that 2K is likely their best chance of any relevance in the football gaming market.

Over coming the juggernaut that is FC 24 isn't going to be that difficult, you just need to create a better playing game compared to what EA offers. I would sat that eFootball plays a better game of football compared to FC 24, but it's lack of meaningful single player content is a big downer for me.

2K will be able to get the majority of player names & teams in the game, and then very much like PES did back in the day they can add a creation/edit mode to allow you to add proper team names, kits etc.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
I would imagine if FIFA are partnering up with 2K then they are likely dropping the ridiculous amount they demanded from EA. FIFA must realise now that 2K is likely their best chance of any relevance in the football gaming market.

Over coming the juggernaut that is FC 24 isn't going to be that difficult, you just need to create a better playing game compared to what EA offers. I would sat that eFootball plays a better game of football compared to FC 24, but it's lack of meaningful single player content is a big downer for me.

2K will be able to get the majority of player names & teams in the game, and then very much like PES did back in the day they can add a creation/edit mode to allow you to add proper team names, kits etc.

I think EA have exclusive Premier League rights.

2K might be able to get player licenses (like Konami) and have a team editor though.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I don't even play these games but I know this is gonna suuuuuuuuck

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
Football games at this point is like picking a poison. Both konami and EA have regressed so much. At least 2k will offer something different gameplay wise. EAFC at this point is just a card collecting game with a hint of gameplay to complement it. Efootball doenst give the same joy/freedom older pes used to.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Good luck, I hope they can make a game with a realistic gameplay (the opposite of whatever FIFA was)

I'd like something a bit more pure. I downloaded the last FIFA game and it was overwhelming to play. I'm sure it is great for people who live it year in, year out, and who get really technical with it BUT MAN I'm not ready for the amount of finger twister required for it nowadays.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd like something a bit more pure. I downloaded the last FIFA game and it was overwhelming to play. I'm sure it is great for people who live it year in, year out, and who get really technical with it BUT MAN I'm not ready for the amount of finger twister required for it nowadays.

EA have overcomplicated the controls over the years, at a point where it is ridiculous.

The game needs to go back to contextual situations, along with player stats. This is what made scoring goals so satisfying in the PS2 Pro Evo titles, you could score a goal you'd never seen before despite hours & hours of playing time.

Hypermotion for me ruins the modern EA football title, it looks utterly ridiculous and the game has no weight or feeling to it.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I just want something with gameplay more like PES and Efootball. Those games feel fantastic to play but that's really all it has going for it. No modes, awful presentation, no licenses.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
You'd be surprised. 2K sports titles are really, really shitty with their MTX.

If that's the aspect of Fifa that bothers you'll gain nothing from 2K putting out their own title.

Their MTX is abysmal, but they are a lot more in depth in their non online stuff like career mode (at least with basketball). I think this will be DOA because of the lack of licenses, but I would hope the career mode is better than FIFA/EA whatever because it's been bad for the last decade.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I think this is fantastic news if true. EA need competition, they've been coasting for years now. Hope they put as much resources into this as possible.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I'd be interested if this actually brought a good career mode in, EA has let their mode languish for ages at this point since it doesn't bring the MTX in. On the other hand, 2k's MTX ruin everything, and even a good career mode isn't a guarantee. The new Topspin's career mode was pretty pathetic too really.

Patrese86

Jun 6, 2021
I'm hoping 2K can deliver a game that feels significantly different from EA. My main worries would be how predatory 2k are In terms of MTX which directly affect game modes outside of those like UT.

It's also incredibly difficult to develop a football game from scratch. Many have tried, many have come and gone over the years, mainly during the late 90's and early 00's and Konami royaly fucked up PES going into the seventh gen of consoles. The series never recovered and continually gave FIFA a free pass (maybe Fifa peaked in 2011?) till today.

Very much erring on the side of caution

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
We have some news.

It will be great to get rid of EA's copy & paste shit.

View: https://twitter.com/theinfinityfc/status/1794224715097321495

How do people get sucked in by obvious bullshit from no-name twitter accounts?

"MohPlay" are a controller repair and console cleaning shop in Ghana. How the fuck would they know about 2K getting the FIFA rights before anyone else?

The only football game 2K are releasing this year is LEGO 2K Goal, because games take a long time to make and 2K don't just have a FIFA game ready to go down the back of the sofa.

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Another big competitor will surely get ea to put more efforts on eafc right? right?!

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
FUTzone who's one of the biggest sources on FIFA just confirmed this:

x.com

EXCLUSIVE: 2K FIFA will be FULLY LICENSED with 35+ FOOTBALL LEAGUES and 800+ TEAMS coming

2K FIFA estimated release date: Q4 2025

2K FIFA is expected to launch with a World Cup 2026 mode.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018

x.com

EXCLUSIVE: 2K FIFA will be FULLY LICENSED with 35+ FOOTBALL LEAGUES and 800+ TEAMS coming

EA basically dropping the World Cup games was one of the worst things they've done. They were so good, and went from being standalone to like FUT stuff.

I'm not expecting much from this, but if it is fully licensed that would help a ton. Just need 2k to make the PC version actually next gen.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"This time it deserves its own thread!"

Can like, one remotely reputable person report on this before we start believing random twitter accounts?

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Please do NHL next. I know 2K is ass but we just need some form of competition in that space other than EA.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
Posted in the other thread but I'll put it here as well: I highly doubt this is true. EA only very recently renewed deals with all the major leagues across the world (Premier League, Bundesliga etc).

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sorry if I jumped and made the thread.

I can be too enthusiastic sometimes in making thread.

But I don't do it because bad intents.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Posted in the other thread but I'll put it here as well: I highly doubt this is true. EA only very recently renewed deals with all the major leagues across the world (Premier League, Bundesliga etc).
I could see 2k go for MLS and some other leagues but yeah unless they have the top 5 in europe they will be screwed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know if EA's deals with those clubs are necessarily exclusive (a lot of them appear in eFootball from Konami, and at times Konami even had their own exclusive deals that prevented teams from being in EA's games), but regardless there's no real reason to give merit to these rumors until someone reputable gives even a whiff of legitimacy to the idea that 2K is working on an EA FC competitor. There's basically like a cottage industry online of engagement farming off of people's disillusionment with the current sports gaming landscape and big games like Madden/Fifa/NBA by just crating rumors whole cloth. See: The Joe Montana Football fiasco from a few years ago, or HipHopGamer making a career out of swearing up and down that NFL 2K was coming back for years (among other lies).

Wait for someone solid to say something before hyping yourself up and believing a FIFA 2K exists. And also just because someone has a twitter account doesn't make them credible.

Leancarp900

Feb 13, 2023
Do we know if those deals are exclusive though? If they are, yeah 2K's game is doa.

The PL, LaLiga and the Bundesliga are exclusive, but the first two can still be on any football game due to FIFPro, just with fake team names (so you get Manchester Red and Madrid Blanco like in PES).

The Bundesliga isn't part of FIFPro though, so that one wouldn't be in the game at all.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

x.com

Doubt!
Other than probable license problems, it's not that easy to make 800 teams with more than 16000 players in just 1 or 2 years. I know that lots of those players won't have high quality and won't be realistic models, but it's still a huge number for first FIFA 2K game.
But whatever it is, can't wait to see a new football game after so many years and hope it will be good enough to make EA do some big changes to FC games.