• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Man, while it was dissapointing in quite a few regards, I have so many good memories of AC III.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pumped for this, hopefully the evolve the gameplay and overall style from Origins/Odyssey cuz I am a bit burnt out on that. Maybe go back to formula or combine it with witcher lite mechanics

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Oh tomorrow is gonna be a thing? Is this confirmed?

EDIT: My brother just filled me in. So excited since I just finished putting in 108 hours in Odyssey. There is a lot they need to improve on but as a huge fan of AC and a huge RPG fan I am excited about the future of the series.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just not excited for mainline AC anymore, really miss the old formula; I understand why they'd move away from it but I feel like both can exist at the same time.

Either way, let's see what's presented (tomorrow?)
What exactly from the old formula did you like/miss? I'm glad the tailing missions are gone and the focus on the actual time period instead of the out of the animus stuff.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
source.gif

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Valhalla would be a good name if they want to pull a "V" in here (à la RE VII), but I think the "numbered AC" ship has long sailed.

Oct 24, 2019
What exactly from the old formula did you like/miss? I'm glad the tailing missions are gone and the focus on the actual time period instead of the out of the animus stuff.

The parkour and black box assassinations (especially when you could social stealth your way to the target without killing a single guard). Plus the base building (villa, homestead, hideout, cafe theater, and train). Also being able to one-shot anyone with your hidden blade regardless of the enemy's level. Also the elaborate/awesome assassin HQs that has artifacts from previous assassins.

There's a lot to like about the OG games

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They're not that smart lol. I don't think it would suit the brand. Valhalla is the Viking afterlife so, unless we go there in the game (doubt it, it's gonna be a DLC though) A shame it isn't called Ragnarok. It fits the theme as there's another impending apocalypse about to hit the Modern/Present Day. Also, Ragnarok doesn't just mean "the end of the world" It means renewal. Renewal of the AC universe? A hard reboot after the Vikings game? Who knows. That's what I would go for.

Personally, I'd go with Assassin's Creed V (because V for Vikings and the numeral V = 5) but like Tornak said, the ship has long sailed.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
They're not that smart lol. I don't think it would suit the brand. Valhalla is the Viking afterlife so, unless we go there in the game (doubt it, it's gonna be a DLC though) A shame it isn't called Ragnarok. It fits the theme as there's another impending apocalypse about to hit the Modern/Present Day. Also, Ragnarok doesn't just mean "the end of the world" It means renewal. Renewal of the AC universe? A hard reboot after the Vikings game? Who knows. That's what I would go for.

Personally, I'd go with Assassin's Creed V (because V for Vikings and the numeral V = 5) but like Tornak said, the ship has long sailed.
Valhalla would still work though, especially because it was such a big deal to Vikings. Their whole thing was dying in battle gloriously just so they could go there. If that's what the game is about, then I could certainly see that being the title. Especially over Vikings (too on the nose).

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for this guy but I will say that as a fan of the series since it's inception, I do miss some of the stealth elements. I'm talking about blending into crowds, using gadgets like smoke bombs to get out of danger and one hit assassinations. In it's current form, you can only pretty much hide in foliage. The skill tree has some more options but it's not really the same thing.

Unlike this person though, I am excited for the future because I am a huge fan of RPGs in general. I just don't think you necessarily need to have one or the other. I am hoping that Assassin's Creed Vikings or w.e adds these back even if they tie some to the Assassination skill tree. Just because this is an RPG doesn't mean you can't reward someone for stealth. If I get caught and don't feel like running away then throw as many enemies as you want the current formula pretty much forces me into combat even if I am stealthy.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for this guy but I will say that as a fan of the series since it's inception, I do miss some of the stealth elements. I'm talking about blending into crowds, using gadgets like smoke bombs to get out of danger and one hit assassinations. In it's current form, you can only pretty much hide in foliage. The skill tree has some more options but it's not really the same thing.

Unlike this person though, I am excited for the future because I am a huge fan of RPGs in general. I just don't think you necessarily need to have one or the other. I am hoping that Assassin's Creed Vikings or w.e adds these back even if they tie some to the Assassination skill tree. Just because this is an RPG doesn't mean you can't reward someone for stealth. If I get caught and don't feel like running away then throw as many enemies as you want the current formula pretty much forces me into combat even if I am stealthy.
I miss the stealth too. Even though it wasn't perfect, I love how you could flow through assassinations in Unity. Unity is actually my favorite of the AC games just because of how fluid it's feels.

Oct 24, 2019
This feels ill-timed after God of War. They really can't just make the feudal Japan AC game everyone wants, can they?

Feudal Japan would be ill-timed after Nioh, Sekiro, etc.

They should focus on amazing time periods that almost no one is covering in games.

Give me (relatively) historically accurate versions of the Mayan, Aztec, and Incan Empires as they battle the Spanish conquistadors.

Give me the Mongolian Empire as they rampage throughout Asia, the Middle East, and all the way into Europe.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Valhalla would still work though, especially because it was such a big deal to Vikings. Their whole thing was dying in battle gloriously just so they could go there. If that's what the game is about, then I could certainly see that being the title. Especially over Vikings (too on the nose).

Hmm, I dunna then. It's possible. There's rumors of this being a Templar game, which makes sense considering Otso has Viking blood. A sort of spiritual successor to the Haytham sections in AC3 and Shay for Rogue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't seen the Templar rumors. Where'd those come from?

Was about a week ago.
I'll list them:

We play as Proto-Templar (Proto-Templars are the Order of the Ancients in Origins, Cult of Kosmos in Odyssey and will eventually "form" into what the Templars are today, so no idea what the equivalent of them will be called this time)
Game will be about the Origins of the Templar Order.
The AC logo will be similar to the Templar's present day front, Abstergo with the Valknut logo)
Runes will mark abilities.

Again, only rumor. And came from reddit.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
I have not played an AC game in a long time, but I don't remember there being fantastical elements. Is it possible that the new game will have supernatural elements such as visiting Valhalla after death? Or have the games still been grounded in scientific fiction with the whole going back into your memories idea?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have not played an AC game in a long time, but I don't remember there being fantastical elements. Is it possible that the new game will have supernatural elements such as visiting Valhalla after death? Or have the games still been grounded in scientific fiction with the whole going back into your memories idea?

the last game had you fighting actual minotaurs, cyclopse, and medusa. You also went to atlantis and hell in the dlc. They abandoned realism haha

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You tell me

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

They only added the fantasy elements when they made Origins. After that, it was Odyssey so it's about two games in now. But you can expect to have more of this mystical shit for the Vikings one.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Was about a week ago.
I'll list them:

We play as Proto-Templar (Proto-Templars are the Order of the Ancients in Origins, Cult of Kosmos in Odyssey and will eventually "form" into what the Templars are today, so no idea what the equivalent of them will be called this time)
Game will be about the Origins of the Templar Order.
The AC logo will be similar to the Templar's present day front, Abstergo with the Valknut logo)
Runes will mark abilities.

Again, only rumor. And came from reddit.
This would be interesting. I liked playing as Haythem in AC3 and I enjoyed the premise of Rouge even though I didn't really buy Shay's motivations.
I miss the stealth too. Even though it wasn't perfect, I love how you could flow through assassinations in Unity. Unity is actually my favorite of the AC games just because of how fluid it's feels.
I am conflicted about Unity. I appreciate the visuals and how it evolved the stealth elements but I will never forgive it for the technical issues at launch, the bland story (imo), and the fact that it took out memory corridor confessions (one of my favorite aspects of the series and one I hope returns for Vikings).

Oct 24, 2019

Black Flag had a ghost ship. Origins and Odyssey have mythological gods, creatures, and locations. They've slowly added more and more fantasy stuff over time

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
the last game had you fighting actual minotaurs, cyclopse, and medusa. You also went to atlantis and hell in the dlc. They abandoned realism haha
Going to hell sounds like a good time.

Hahaha, that's creepy and it answers the question.
They only added the fantasy elements when they made Origins. After that, it was Odyssey so it's about two games in now. But you can expect to have more of this mystical shit for the Vikings one.
Ok, I'm looking forward to the trailer tomorrow or soon.

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Assassins Creed Vikings is gonna be revealed before Batman. That's funny.

But I hope this game looks good. I still need to play Odyssey. Which will be my first AC game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still need to play Odyssey. Which will be my first AC game.

Honestly I would play them all: So you can get a sense of what's what. You can hop straight into them, but you're going to be confused as anything. Trust me. Plus you'd be missing out on the greatest AC games ever made. You can't do that. Play AC2 onwards. You'll thank me later :)