• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I still want a Pokemon MMO ! but Game Freak is NOT who should develop it and it should not replace the main series.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people who seem to think the Pokemon battle system would benefit from such a shake up sorry? I've played through the entire main series up to ultra Sun/Moon and I got my issues, but the battle system isn't one of them. Seems to just be trendy right now to say 'BOTW but Pokemon' in certain internet circles right now.
I think you can blame BotTW, Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 for that. Although to be fair, "BotW but Pokemon" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the battle system and people in that camp will point that out.

It's frustratingly annoying as they are trying to turn the series into something that isn't and refused to listen to anyone that actually understand the series, even going so far in saying that the series should taken away from Game Freak because...reasons.

It's probably best to let them do whatever rather than getting too worked up about it. These people "trying to turn the series into something that it isn't" literally don't have the power to do so. Let the wallow in their ignorance.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even upset about the battle system changing. I always imagined an action-RPG Pokemon and if they managed to give it similar depth with a new system, why would I complain. I'm just looking at all of the things they'd need to do in order to achieve that and it seems like a completely ridiculous amount of work.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even upset about the battle system changing. I always imagined an action-RPG Poemon and if they managed to give it similar depth, why would I complain. I'm just looking at all of the things they'd need to do in order to achieve that and it seems like a completely ridiculous amount of work.
Rumor doesn't say action RPG.

Oct 27, 2017
What do people actually imagine when they hear "open world" pokemon? I'm really curious, because I'm convinced some of you intentionally imagine something outlandish for the sake of striking it down or claiming it's too big a divergence.
All most people want, I'm assuming, is
  1. a large connected world (which the game's already have),
  2. which allow you to freely explore with few arbitrary limitations (which the game's have been doing, especially with the lower reliance on HM required obstacles),
  3. and which allow the player to follow an ideal route directed by the story, also allows them to explore other areas out or "order". (which the games have been getting worse at, or rather, while routes might not be physically smaller, they seem less complex, less filled with puzzles and less labyrinth-like)
What those games do well is that they "gate" areas based on levels. For instance, if you get to an area you can't handle, it'll be reflected in the wild pokemon being way higher than your team, not some small obstacle that you haven't gotten the require HM/PokeRide to get past). Not to say those don't have their place, after all you have Metrovania style games that emphasis exploration, but still gate areas by required powerups, but they still allow a certain level of freedom and some minor sequence breaking even without them. I don't see what's so outlandish about that

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
and which allow the player to follow an ideal route directed by the story, also allows them to explore other areas out or "order". (which the games have been getting worse at, or rather, while routes might not be physically smaller, they seem less complex, less filled with puzzles and less labyrinth-like)

I wish this came back, along with a toggle in settings stating "I'm a grown-ass person and know how to play pokémon, please let me skip all the bullshit". There's nothing interesting about exploring a cave where all you have to do is press forward. If kids could handle early gens Victory Roads back then, they sure as hell can handle a similar setup nowadays.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. That. Battle system.

My hype for it would die if that was true, to be honest.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
What do people actually imagine when they hear "open world" pokemon? I'm really curious, because I'm convinced some of you intentionally imagine something outlandish for the sake of striking it down or claiming it's too big a divergence.
All most people want, I'm assuming, is
  1. a large connected world (which the game's already have),
  2. which allow you to freely explore with few arbitrary limitations (which the game's have been doing, especially with the lower reliance on HM required obstacles),
  3. and which allow the player to follow an ideal route directed by the story, also allows them to explore other areas out or "order". (which the games have been getting worse at, or rather, while routes might not be physically smaller, they seem less complex, less filled with puzzles and less labyrinth-like)
What those games do well is that they "gate" areas based on levels. For instance, if you get to an area you can't handle, it'll be reflected in the wild pokemon being way higher than your team, not some small obstacle that you haven't gotten the require HM/PokeRide to get past). Not to say those don't have their place, after all you have Metrovania style games that emphasis exploration, but still gate areas by required powerups, but they still allow a certain level of freedom and some minor sequence breaking even without them. I don't see what's so outlandish about that

From what I've seen, there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions to suggestions about Pokemon games. It's necessarily "I evaluated the pros and cons of your idea and here is my opinion" but rather "that's not how it is now" and sometimes the conversation ends there with people going deeper into what their suggestion actually means.

OP
OP
Wise

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it when a site relays a rumor but doesn't trace back to the first originator of the rumor correctly for responsibility and monitoring... Haven't seen anyone checking it yet in this thread...

PokéJungle is citing PokéSirena as their source. They link at her Twitter but her research seems to be basically in this video:

In which she quotes Desdar300 on Bulbagarden forums (post in question) and mentions that he is "the first translator of the Sun/Moon starters leak". She is also involved in asking people around for infos.
So does that mean that "the same people who knew about Rainbow Rocket" might be reffering to the translators and not the leakers themselves?
Since Desdar300 says: "Just to clarify it's a popular rumour going around.", he doesn't attribute it to anyone in particular.
→This might be worth mentionning in the OP no?

Revelant sources:
https://forums.bulbagarden.net/inde...mours-fakes-leaks.241013/page-16#post-6402180
https://forums.bulbagarden.net/inde...mours-fakes-leaks.241013/page-17#post-6402577
https://forums.bulbagarden.net/inde...mours-fakes-leaks.241013/page-17#post-6402590

Edit: isn't that translator person also there even? I think I recognise the avatar.

This also.

Nice findings! I'll update the OP!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I feel kind of bad for the gamefreak devs. While the Pokemon games in the last 20 or so years are by no means all identical they are very similar and it must get tiring making something similar so much.
So I think it would be a good idea to at least let GF have a go at a new battle system for at least one new entry. Really how much will it hurt you? If the competitive scene dislikes it they can just avoid the new one and play the old ones.
If it ends up being a disaster it won't kill the franchise but if it ends up being a really cool evolution of the old battle system it could make the games even better.

I know a lot of people will respond with "but the old system is fine and doesn't need fixing" but if Nintendo let that get in the way of progress we wouldn't have Mario 64.

Not saying the rumor is true but jeez guys give it a chance before you condemn it.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
#TeamTradition seems to be going strong in this thread!

If Pokemon keeps it's classic battle system I just hope it's as snappy as Persona 5's. Including the entering and exiting battle cutscenes. Apparently Dragon Quest XI does turn-based battles direcly on the Overworld? That'd be cool.

I feel kind of bad for the gamefreak devs. While the Pokemon games in the last 20 or so years are by no means all identical they are very similar and it must get tiring making something similar so much.
So I think it would be a good idea to at least let GF have a go at a new battle system for at least one new entry. Really how much will it hurt you? If the competitive scene dislikes it they can just avoid the new one and play the old ones.
If it ends up being a disaster it won't kill the franchise but if it ends up being a really cool evolution of the old battle system it could make the games even better.

I know a lot of people will respond with "but the old system is fine and doesn't need fixing" but if Nintendo let that get in the way of progress we wouldn't have Mario 64.

Not saying the rumor is true but jeez guys give it a chance before you condemn it.

I agree with everything in this post. Melee is still around. A competitive community doesn't need to stick around with new systems they dislike if there's enough passion for the old one.

OP
OP
Wise

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
#TeamTradition seems to be going strong in this thread!

If Pokemon keeps it's classic battle system I just hope it's as snappy as Persona 5's. Including the entering and exiting battle cutscenes. Apparently Dragon Quest XI does turn-based battles direcly on the Overworld? That'd be cool.
It would be nice if it was as snappy and fast as Persona 5. Persona 5's battle system was flawless

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Nice findings! I'll update the OP!
Yay :D
Don't worry, I think they get to flex their creative muscles on other "action" franchises.
They made Tembo the Badass Elephant (published by Sega 2015) and Giga Wrecker (for PC 2017). Note that none of those appeared on Nintendo consoles.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't pokejungle kind of infamous for posting bullshit rumors? I feel like they've done a lot of fake rumors in the past

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really interesting to see how many people are vehemently against the idea of a different battle system.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you mean a Battle Log, sorry?
Like a battle history. A list of the last actions like moves, effects, critital hits, condiction information, weathers calls, etc...
I thought pkmn pearl/diamond/platinum would already have this function due to double screen. Many RPGs already have (Golden Sun) and I thinks is a good function if you don't payed attention of whats happen in 'battle move'. I play pkmn and I watch movies in the same time, so when my pokemon faint in battle me just like 'wtf happens?'

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like a battle history. A list of the last actions like moves, effects, critital hits, condiction information, weathers calls, etc...
I thought pkmn pearl/diamond/platinum would already have this function due to double screen. Many RPGs already have (Golden Sun) and I thinks is a good function if you don't payed attention of whats happen in 'battle move'. I play pkmn and I watch movies in the same time, so when my pokemon faint in battle me just like 'wtf happens?'
Oh, yeah, that would actually be really helpful, especially for the competitive scene. You're right, they should add it.

Stealth

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Kanzeon

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably derailing the topic a bit but this just popped up at EB Games. Pokemon RPG for Nintendo Switch.

And one of the tags says "action". Now if you look up something like Octopath traveller it says "role-playing"

Though this is most likely a placeholder. I just thought I should share.

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225667-Pokemon-RPG-Working-Title-Switch
Considering Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are also listed as Action I wouldn't take this to mean anything.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
It's really interesting to see how many people are vehemently against the idea of a different battle system.

It's less that I'm totally against it, and more that it's the least of Pokemon's issues. Like, if you fix how limited and handholdy the exploration has become, how linear the story is, how uninteresting the story is, how easy the games are? Fine, fuck it, give me a different battle system. But if you change it and keep all those issues? I wouldn't be surprised if I lost interest in the series. USUM are the first Pokemon games I got bored of playing. I need something that feels a little more mentally stimulating then going exactly where the game tells me to go, spamming A through walls of boring text, and just spamming attacks because the game doesn't give you any difficult opponents unless you go online.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is just a rumor, I suppose I'd want the beauty of an open world game like Skyrim and Breath of the Wild, but would want them to keep the turn based battles.

Also would like a return of the gyms. They were my favourite part of past Pokémon games. Also how about a change to the Pokémon league to make it like an actual tornement, where you battle other trainers in an arena?

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they change the battle system if the motion controlled Z moves is real then I'm not using Z moves.

Todd Black

Nov 3, 2017
I personally would love a change in the battle system depending on the game they make. I would love one that feels more like the anime.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything in this post. Melee is still around. A competitive community doesn't need to stick around with new systems they dislike if there's enough passion for the old one.

Not that I think it would happen, but if there really was a huge change that alienated the competitive scene, I think the Pokemon Company could salvage some of that by releasing a Battle Simulator app like Showdown. Rather than being barebones and uninviting, use it as way to teach people about competitive Pokemon. Start off low rank/new players in the Little Cup using rental Pokemon. The next Cup over could introduce held items and middle evo pokemon. The next cup would allow for fully evolved pokemon and choosing move sets. and the Prime cup could allow for EV/IV/Nature/Move etc tweaking down the to the very last detail. And of course different battle types (Single/Doubles/Asyncrhonous/"Qucik") and other content.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Not that I think it would happen, but if there really was a huge change that alienated the competitive scene, I think the Pokemon Company could salvage some of that by releasing a Battle Simulator app like Showdown. Rather than being barebones and uninviting, use it as way to teach people about competitive Pokemon. Start off low rank/new players in the Little Cup using rental Pokemon. The next Cup over could introduce held items and middle evo pokemon. The next cup would allow for fully evolved pokemon and choosing move sets. and the Prime cup could allow for EV/IV/Nature/Move etc tweaking down the to the very last detail. And of course different battle types (Single/Doubles/Asyncrhonous/"Qucik") and other content.

Oh, I agree! I said the same earlier in the thread.

Oct 28, 2017
It's less that I'm totally against it, and more that it's the least of Pokemon's issues. Like, if you fix how limited and handholdy the exploration has become, how linear the story is, how uninteresting the story is, how easy the games are? Fine, fuck it, give me a different battle system. But if you change it and keep all those issues? I wouldn't be surprised if I lost interest in the series. USUM are the first Pokemon games I got bored of playing. I need something that feels a little more mentally stimulating then going exactly where the game tells me to go, spamming A through walls of boring text, and just spamming attacks because the game doesn't give you any difficult opponents unless you go online.
Very much so this

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm skeptical about how this would work, but I hope there are sweeping changes to other aspects of the game as well.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a great idea.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
They need to do that regardless of what they intend to do with the series tbh

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
One of the greatest mysteries I've faced in my life is people who don't like Pokémon games and have no interest in playing them demanding Game Freak to apply absurd gameplay changes (MMO style, sandbox open world, action based battle system, etc) in order to make the games fit to them, instead of the actual fans.

Same thing happened with Final Fantasy recently Ditching the turn based system and i did not like the results at all.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City

Probably because its the only reason I play the games to begin with? It sure as hell isn't the engrossing post game content that has me putting 300+ hours into every game every gen. It would be like if they made Street Fighter 6 a TCG to shake things up, that fucking appeals to no one who plays SFV for gameplay reasons.