• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Oh wow...mobile phone 'exclusives', that's a new one. This game is everywhere.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Dumb to see it "exclusive", but 30 days isn't so bad. It's even worse because Epic is making so much money, why delay it on other phones for $$$?

With that being said I'm excited to see the S9, any leaks yet?

It's already been delayed from the IOS version, making android applications is troublesome due to fragmentation and this becomes far more pronounced when it's a performance product such as Fortnite.

I'm sure you've seen the fragmentation diagrams

AndroidFrag.jpg

I imagine Epic are quite aware that the release of the android version is going to be met with issues and mixed sucess and this is one way to at least ensure that the only android version available on day one generates a positive response.
That's beige you even consider that a huge portion of the problems are going to come from lower end phones used by children.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not understand this from Epics stand point.. would they not make more money by a wide launch? Or is this a way to stress test and still get paid extra.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
I honestly do not understand this from Epics stand point.. would they not make more money by a wide launch? Or is this a way to stress test and still get paid extra.
Get free money, while launching on the biggest android manufacturer. People have already waited for months they won't mind a few more days.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to burn out on Fortnite so damn quickly. It'll win GOTY and then no one will talk about it ever again.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me all this time fortnite has only been on iOS? All this time i thought it was already on android and was bothered that everytime i checked the app store on my shield tv fortnite still wasnt added

Oct 28, 2017
i dont care about fornite but im glad the note is getting some kind of love from the fuckers at samsung, since their release of the +/plus line the note feels like an afterthought for them

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Mobile version isn't good. You're not missing much Android folks.

I have it on iPhone X, and it runs great, but plays poorly. They keep having to add more accessibility features to it to make up for the lack of button and intuitive controls, but it just isn't the same game.

Reminds me of when console games would get downports on PSP, and the lack of a right analog stick would hurt it, but instead way worse.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, 30 days doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, and it does give that launch a little more of a test-window. On the other, this sort of marketing-related segmentation is really frustrating for users. I've had (and enjoyed the quality of) Galaxy phones in the past. I'll be less likely to buy a Samsung product more generally if this manifests as their marketing strategy.

I think when you segment the Android market more than it already is, it compromises its value. I know it's not a fledgling platform by any measure, but I don't spend money where the ground feels soft.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If this was true people wouldn't pay for movies/music on itunes, google play, etc. But they do.

Just because people aren't thieves doesn't mean they won't play a highly anticipated free game by downloading outside of the store.

I'll be downloading it and I have no interest in download illegal software; my digital library is all mine and subscriptions are current.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been delayed from the IOS version, making android applications is troublesome due to fragmentation and this becomes far more pronounced when it's a performance product such as Fortnite.

AndroidFrag.jpg

I imagine Epic are quite aware that the release of the android version is going to be met with issues and mixed sucess and this is one way to at least ensure that the only android version available on day one generates a positive response.
That's beige you even consider that a huge portion of the problems are going to come from lower end phones used by children.

Wait until you see the fragmentation of gaming PCs. I dread what Epic will have to deal with if they release it there.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope this works on other devices with just an APK, lame move and waste of money from Sam

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have always wanted to buy a Note phone, but $1000+ phones are not something I need in my life. My P10 will do for now.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I have a Note 8 and from all the Note 9 leaks, absolutely no reason to upgrade this year.

So, yeah.. Gonna wait 30 days, or get a modded version from XDA a couple days after Note 9's release. We'll see.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't even get it really. Who even gets that much from this? I don't think this will sell that many ÂŁ1000+ odd Note 9's to people, and Epic are going to lose millions in that month of exclusivity.

Are we sure it's not just the items that are exclusive to it, though even then I'm kind of surprised it's only Note 9 specific. In the past when they've had deals you just get items and stuff for playing the game on a galaxy phone through their app store.

Oh well, if it's true I guess I just wait even longer. I only got my S9+ a few months back, not gunna upgrade it for early access to some game, lol.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
This is true. A Samsung rep came to my store and showed off the Note 9 Runn By Fortnite. 512 GB Note 9 FTW.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Because not everyone downloads APK from random websites and still prefer using Google Play store.

Most people won't go through the trouble of getting a modified version outside the Google or Samsung Play store.

Samsung has had similar promotions with other games this is just the largest one - there's a Galaxy back and free packs for Hearthstone if you log in via a Galaxy.

These posts look kind of silly after: https://www.resetera.com/threads/eurogamer-fortnite-on-android-doesnt-use-google-play.59731/

So that begs the same question again; how are they planning to enforce this when the app will always be sideloaded?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017

AndroidFrag.jpg

Wow, fragmentation, it's 2009 all over again...
Rumour is that Galaxy S9 is base spec.
Also, android has done a lot of backend stuff to support many devices now.

https://www.xda-developers.com/fortnite-mobile-on-android-samsung-galaxy-note-9-exclusive/

Apk breakdown gives more evidence of this being a thing.

Another rumor from android headlines (who's been pretty solid with Android rumors) has it that note 9 got 30 days, but other galaxy phones will then have 2-3 months exclusivity.

Samsung really betting big on fortnite being relevant for the rest of the year... Which is a safe bet.
Galaxy S9 had been Samsung's lowest setting phone so far, this and pester power will sort that out.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
These posts look kind of silly after: https://www.resetera.com/threads/eurogamer-fortnite-on-android-doesnt-use-google-play.59731/

So that begs the same question again; how are they planning to enforce this when the app will always be sideloaded?

Sideloaded via Epic's website, not some zippyshare or utorrent link. Good for those that can circumvent it, I say do it. However, it's still via an official, safer link instead of unknown, unsafe link.

I won't be surprised if the game comes preloaded on the phone from the get go.