• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people calling out insiders, but no actual malevolence or harassment here in this thread. I absolutely condemn harassment of every kind. Andre's comparison with a Trump rally is incredibly misplaced.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Lesson #1: never become an insider, shit will happen even if your only goal is to make people happy.

CoL

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Rationalising harassment. Account still in junior phase.
Personally speaking, I bailed because people started blowing up my twitter and in several cases my work email to demand proof and an outting of my sources or accusing me of working for Nintendo marketing (???).

Which, like, no. Never. I had to turn off open DMs because fuck you guys. That's a massive no-no and I hope those of you so obsessed over something so trivial really rethink your priorities. Genuinely cannot wait for this dumb thing to be over and for this thread to be closed and archived so people can't edit their posts.

I was one of the first to (politely asked you) to elaborate a little more if you knew the final roster or something similar to see where you came from (EDIT: ON THE PUBLIC THREAD WHERE YOU SHOWED UP, OBVIOUSLY, I WOULD NEVER PM/DM/EMAIL SOMEONE ABOUT THIS IN CASE IT WASN'T CLEAR), also to prevent the witchunt ( Which I assumed it would be just dozens of people sending pms starting with ("PLEASE JUST TELL ME IF!" "WHERE'S THE PROOF???!?!?"), didn't think it would get to twitter), and you did reply that one time.

I agree that the internet can be the worst and can't stop getting surprised at how much harder people push as time evolves. Internet Harassing is always evolving to become worse and worse, it's specially sickening how volatile it is, it can go from 0 to 100 due to a single post, or a single tweet.

That said, your post could have and probably should have done without the "Because fuck you guys" (it would have also worked better and drove the point home clearer), ironic to find that on a post about respect, and probably would have merited a warning if the username was anything else but an insider.

Last edited:

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing i hate is the "I know but i won't say" that certain insiders do. That aside, people sending stuff to the DM's are pretty pathetic tbh

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still on TeamReal, but I won't be mad or disappointed if this is fake. I'll be impressed. This puts the Rayman Wii U fake (which I was impressed with) to shame.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've gone into this earlier in the thread, but a major difference is that journalists typically will follow a double source or even triple source rule, which means you need at least two verifiable (though they can remain anonymous to the public, but verifiable to the reporter), disconnected sources that are saying the same thing without any cross-contamination. This is proper reporting protocol. I hear plenty about games, plenty of it correct in the long run, but I don't print it because I can't get the two sources together.

Obviously people on blogs or youtube influencers or whatever aren't necessarily beholden to these rules. In fact, nobody is, but the bigger and more 'professional' an outlet is the more likely they have rules around stuff like this in place.

So when a lot of people who are insiders only have 1, maybe 2 good sources that contradict this leak they feel confident in that it's probably not real, but can't adequately show proof that it's fake.

Oct 25, 2017
We were happy to listen to people like Imram through the year, but only now that he is saying things people don't want to hear is when he should go silent.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
The logic that insiders must backup their claims with hard proof would only incite more fake information in order to fish out information from them.

On the other side, insiders could be better off just keeping silent, why even hint at things or say you are an insider at all, what is it? Need of attention, followers?. Just let people over hyping fake stuff crash and burn hard when proven wrong, maybe then they will learn.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
People sound like dicks.

But it's almost like it would've been better and more professional to, you know, not dive into a message board in the first place as a member of the media. Huh.
Rest assured it won't be happening again. Every time this happens again, which it will, you guys can work yourself into the cyclone of feral hype on your own.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Yeah, come on, guys. It's one thing to be frustrated, but don't take it out on the insiders. We're better than that!

Personally, I'm just enjoying the ride. Got no one but myself to blame if I end up putting too much stock into this.

Oct 31, 2017
but it looks like the ones who are claiming fake are reputable insiders though. The leaked image came from someone who had a Grinch printout

People can still formally request receipts. There is nothing wrong about that.

Going for personal attacks, calling into question the 'insider' despite reputation and vetting, abusing the formality and spamming an inbox that isn't easily/publicly available, that isn't okay.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the first to (politely asked you) to elaborate a little more if you knew the final roster or something similar to see where you came from, also to prevent the witchunt ( Which I assumed it would be just dozens of people sending pms starting with ("PLEASE JUST TELL ME IF!" "WHERE'S THE PROOF???!?!?"), didn't think it would get to twitter), and you did reply that one time.

I agree that the internet can be the worst and can't stop getting surprised at how much harder people push as time evolves. Internet Harassing is always evolving to become worse and worse, it's specially sickening how volatile it is, it can go from 0 to 100 due to a single post, or a single tweet.

That said, your post could have and probably should have done without the "Because fuck you guys", ironic to find that on a post about respect, and probably would have merited a warning if the username was anything else but an insider.

Where did he say fuck you guys?

I also think you shouldn't really be giving him advice until you actually know the content of the DMs people are sending and harassing him with. It's easy to stay "level-headed" per se when you're not the one being harassed.

And yeah, it's not bad for people to reach out and ask for more information...but why would they tell you? If they were going to say something wouldn't they have just posted it in the thread in the first place? Why are you qualified to be their confidant?

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
A word of caution to believers:

Yes, this Grinch leak is perfectly convincing. I don't see anything unconvincing about it.

However, the insiders also see it. They see it in all of its convincing-ness, just like you or I.

So, for them to doubt the Grinch leak, must mean they are also seeing something even more convincing.

After all, why doubt this Grinch leak, as convincing as it is, if it's just going to make them look foolish in the future?

It's important to keep in mind that they're the only ones operating with 100% of the material — this Grinch leak, and whatever they have that contradicts it.

Only they can compare and contrast and decide which one is the more compelling case to support.

As compelling as this Grinch leak seems, it would suggest that whatever they have is more compelling, would it not?

It's the main reason why I'm inclined to believe this is fake, and I voted as such.

Essentially, I trust that given two competing sets of information, these insiders are making the right choice.

They don't have to see anything. It's my belief that they're trusting sources that haven't burned them before.

Unfortunately we know how the game of telephone works. Until someone has more than just the word of someone else to share, I'm not inclined to believe anything. Not to say it's real 100% either.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So when a lot of people who are insiders only have 1, maybe 2 good sources that contradict this leak they feel confident in that it's probably not real, but can't adequately show proof that it's fake.
They probably can't show proof of a lot of stuff because it would compromise their sources and get them in trouble.

Which a lot of people need to remember when demanding for proof.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how this is somehow worse than the NPD insiders harassing thing. It's real nice.

And a lot of people don't understand that insiders are both hounded to SAY something at the very least when a potentially huge leak happens and to put out a high volume of info to dispute anything, but at the same time literally can't say too much or else their sources get compromised. Compared to say, a dickhead with possibly no value in his professional career to go "lol here's everyone fuck this company"

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Lesson #2: Know when to back off and watch things from a distance to put things into perspective.

And with that, I'm gone!

Topic title was a warning

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They probably can't show proof of a lot of stuff because it would compromise their sources and get them in trouble.

Which a lot of people need to remember when demanding for proof.
That's fine, but then don't get upset when people don't believe you. if you're confident then you'll be proven right in a week or two anyway.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People getting harrassed is awful. You can be #TeamReal and think insiders are being annoying without being a total psycho. That needs to stop. At the end of the day it's all just video games, and even those who believe this would do best to keep their hype in check on the chance it isn't true.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
A word of caution to believers:

Yes, this Grinch leak is perfectly convincing. I don't see anything unconvincing about it.

However, the insiders also see it. They see it in all of its convincing-ness, just like you or I.

So, for them to doubt the Grinch leak, must mean they are also seeing something even more convincing.

After all, why doubt this Grinch leak, as convincing as it is, if it's just going to make them look foolish in the future?

It's important to keep in mind that they're the only ones operating with 100% of the material — this Grinch leak, and whatever they have that contradicts it.

Only they can compare and contrast and decide which one is the more compelling case to support.

As compelling as this Grinch leak seems, it would suggest that whatever they have is more compelling, would it not?

It's the main reason why I'm inclined to believe this is fake, and I voted as such.

Essentially, I trust that given two competing sets of information, these insiders are making the right choice.

The insiders have a source telling them a pokemon is in. There is no pokemon in this leak, so they say it's fake, but they don't actually say why. That's all team fake has going for them right now.

Which is still a valid reason all the same. I personally still haven't witnessed anything that has changed my opinion from #TeamReal

I know and agree, just stating that.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine, don't worry about me.
Now I do worry about some of you all's mental health who've been taking these "leaks" way too seriously...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing i hate is the "I know but i won't say" that certain insiders do. That aside, people sending stuff to the DM's are pretty pathetic tbh

But there can often be a very real, important reason they do that. They are protecting their sources, if an insider tells us what they know then there's a chance their source will be found out. When they wait until other sources and other outlets share the same news they then feel comfortable sharing their info because enough people know about it that it's less likely it can be traced back to their particular source.

The only argument I'm seeing from people on team fake is "the insiders say it's fake".

Also the background being changed in a few subtle ways. That's what put me over the edge onto team fake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only argument I'm seeing from people on team fake is "the insiders say it's fake".
There's been plenty of arguments proposed as to why the graphic itself has been faked that can't just be chalked up to "the image is blurry", nor does "the background can change" stand as a persuasive argument when there's not been a history of it changing. If you don't believe that it discredits the leak entirely then that's fair, but to say there hasn't been reasonable inconsistencies brought up by people who don't believe it is disingenuous.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No one should harass insiders, but the proof will come from Nintendo themselves, not "he said, she said" insiders, lets keep the discussion going without harassment or halting everything because someone on Twitter said he has sources. This is way too much fun to stop this hype train, just leave the toxic shit off of it.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
There's been plenty of arguments proposed as to why the graphic itself has been faked that can't just be chalked up to "the image is blurry", nor does "the background can change" stand as a persuasive argument when there's not been a history of it changing. If you don't believe that discredits the leak entirely then that's fair, but to say there hasn't been reasonable inconsistencies brought up by people who don't believe it is disingenuous.

Also the background being changed in a few subtle ways. That's what put me over the edge onto team fake.

BQnOIdb.png

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y know what maybe mods should lock this thread and put their foot down about this "rumor" being fake.

Because we already know a lot of them don't believe it we can see just from the polling data so if they are truly confident it's fake then take the action.

Lock the thread say it's fake and any further thread discussing the leak outside the Smash DT will be locked. Now that people are getting harrassed for this action will need to be taken if they don't want this to continue any longer and if there's no reason to

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Victim blaming, nice...

are you seriously justifying this
I'm not condoning people being assholes, Christ. If anyone is losing their shit over this and harassing folks, then that's clearly wrong. But I maintain it's unprofessional to play games with confidential information if you are a member of the media.
Rest assured it won't be happening again. Every time this happens again, which it will, you guys can work yourself into the cyclone of feral hype on your own.
No cyclone here, friendo. Sorry people are being assholes and harassing you. But given the audience you're working with, it's sadly not shocking.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And this has been proven false. The background never changed. A better look at the banner shows that the castle is still there, it's just less visible because the image is overexposed thanks to being a video recording of a monitor (which is easy to note given the horizon in general is brighter than that of the direct feed image). The same goes for the colors on the waterfall.

9RVYy9j.png

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were plenty of cringey posts in this thread being hostile to insiders like, "lol at insiders trying to remain relevant" or "don't come in here and say you know better without backing it up". I get it, it's frustrating to not know what others might know but that's no reason to be hostile and nasty towards people.

Instead try for a moment to think from the perspective of these insiders. Nobody is holding onto information just to feel better than us, they're doing it to protect their sources and to not draw scrutiny if their information turns out to be wrong. Also in this thread we've seen plenty of people posting about times insiders have been wrong. Well, if they share their info now and are wrong about this that's just another thing to add to the pile for people to tease them with in the future. Nobody wants that.

I'm not trying to say you need to believe everyone who claims to be an insider 100%, just don't act toxic or hostile towards them. They are people who have duties to their sources and their reputations.

There are differences. Imran talked about actual harassment, and i feel that's the actual nasty behavior. But you can't possibly go into a thread on fire like this one, say stuff, and not expect replies. Especially when there are really dubious "insiders" going around with a doubtful track record, that actually make people feel wary (not saying it's the case of Imran, though). People bothering others via DMs should face moderation for their unacceptable crap.

I can tell you a non insignificant amount of people on the smashboards wanted to find sakurai's house to physically harm him after Bayonetta was announced and not K. Rool. I don't doubt some people in Era's smash fandom are no less rabid.

That's psychopatic behavior, doesn't look like what happened on this thread at all.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, but then don't get upset when people don't believe you. if you're confident then you'll be proven right in a week or two anyway.
Were a lot of insiders upset with people not believing them? I don't remember a bunch of heated arguments with them going "No you idiots it's super fake". I just remember them saying "I dunno about this you guys" and leaving it at that.

It was other uses that would come back and ask/demand for them to explain themselves.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted it in the other thread as well but:

Here's my stance on this whole mess and about insiders:
I don't believe for one second that professionals and very competent people like Serebii, Imran and the Gamexplain crew would just go on a message board and lie about having heard something. It's non-sensical. They are people used to work with industry reports, with rumors, leaks and so on. I think they've got better things to do than just bullshitting on the internet. So if they tell me that they heard different stuff than what is in this leak, then I fully believe them.

But at the same time, this leak is absolutely perfect no matter how you look at it. People keep trying to come at it with potential proofs that it's fake but it always bounce back to being more real. The biggest potential blow, aka the facebook post by one of the companies involved, turned out to reinforce even more that it could be real. There are so many details, so many links, so many things that someone would have to create in order to fake this. And in no way this compares with the fake NX controller leak. This is on a whole other level, so much that everytime someone try to debunk the thing it end up looking like a conspiracy theory.

That's why despite both stances having their good arguments I'm definitely on team real until we get more developments on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.