• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo will have games on Gamepass and X Cloud. Not the big Switch games, but the Nes, Snes, N64, GC and Wii games.

I would say its doubtful. Never say never, but you're confusing the motives of each party here. MS is doing this to win the streaming wars/battle for the cloud.

Nintendo's reality is they are just a game company and for their business model to have any value they need to keep their core IP on their core platform. Otherwise their business model doesn't really work.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People saying "MS is getting nothing out of this" are dead wrong, they're not looking at the big picture.

It's possible this deal could have a component that effectively locks out Amazon/Google from the Switch, its entirely possible that is part of the deal.

Even if its not, MS may have basically "poisoned the well" as it were for other streaming services on Switch, because likely Nintendo will want the same concessions from others as they got from MS (which seems to include an actual cut of revenue) and that may be something Amazon or Google are not willing to do. If they capitulate to Nintendo, what happens if Apple then turns around and says "hey you gotta share with us too if you want your service on our platform".

It's all very interesting.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, none of you are questioning why nobody like Eurogamer or press sneak fuck at Kotaku are covering this? Couldn't possibly be because...it's bollocks right?

Any old Nintendo rumour and people go into overdrive.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So, none of you are questioning why nobody like Eurogamer or press sneak fuck at Kotaku are covering this? Couldn't possibly be because...it's bollocks right?

Any old Nintendo rumour and people go into overdrive.

Game Informer and another major europe site have both said their own sources are saying the same thing. Now, it still might be bollocks, but we shouldn't just think its some random rumor.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Imagine being so loyal to one billion dollar corporation that you are forced to do mental gymnastics to pretend like this isnt a big deal.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
While we're all dreaming, I have to wonder... I think it's a little far out there to assume Nintendo would be willing to bring any of their classic IP to Xbox, but is it as far fetched to consider maybe Nintendo would be willing to develop a new IP for Xbox/Switch?

Hell, we had those rumors about Nintendo resurrecting Scalebound. What if Nintendo and Microsoft were working together to co-publish the game for both Switch and Xbox? That's the angle I'm curious about. I realize that's still a bigger leap than allowing a Microsoft streaming app but I'd love to see Nintendo and Microsoft working together on a publishing/development level like that!

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I'm talking about games that will never come to Switch, no matter how old they are. Nintendo offers NES games on their platform, how old are they in comparison?
No matter how you put it, it expands the games list for Switch owners and especially AAA games from consoles they can't compete with in terms of power and where ports will never happen. Or do we agree with the "who wants to play old games"-narrative? Because this never made sense, in any way. People do play old games.
We were specifically talking about people skipping the native Switch version of a game so that they can play the Game Pass version later. And I was giving an example of why that wasn't a practical mindset. The expanding library and that old game narrative weren't a part of that discussion.

As for those other topics, the big advantage for Switch owners would be having Microsoft's games available day one. Any thing extra is gravy. But looking over the available library, it isn't a 3rd party smorgasbord that many in the this thread are imagining. About half of the availble games are indie (type) games, with about half of those already on Switch. The biggest obsticale keeping the other half of those games from coming is likely a lack of profitability. Of the 4 most prolific big third party companies on Gamepass, 3 of them are also pretty well committed to Switch already. With the companies most notably absent or lite from Switch (Activision, EA, Take Two, Ubisoft), also being absent or lite on Gamepass. Also, because of the long delay of games coming to Gamepass, by the time "next-gen" games get around to coming to it, the Switch 2 should be close enough that it won't be a big advantage. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure many will find value in these extras, but the main draw for this is and will always be getting MS' games on the Nintendo's system.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
this is nuts. is microsoft even releasing a console next gen? if they do then what exactly is the killer app? they are porting their games to other consoles. i'll be honest i kinda like this because next gen i can buy 2 consoles and have access to all the games i would want to play.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
if they do then what exactly is the killer app?

There's still a big market for consoles, I mean Xbox has sold 40 million consoles this gen. While that isn't any where near the PS4's 90+ million, that's still a shit ton of consoles

And I'd wager that a huge majority of those users didn't buy the thing because it has tons of exclusives either. Me personaly, I prefer the Xbox platform and have a Switch and PS4 solely for exclusives. If Anaconda is going to be the most powerful console next gen, that's where I'll be going for my multiplats even though I have $2100 PC with a 2070 in it. I just like the feel of a console

For me personally the X is a gift from the gaming Gods

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
this is nuts. is microsoft even releasing a console next gen? if they do then what exactly is the killer app? they are porting their games to other consoles. i'll be honest i kinda like this because next gen i can buy 2 consoles and have access to all the games i would want to play.

Microsoft will have the most powerful console and Halo Infinite will be a launch title. That's 2 pretty big points and then You will be able to play Halo Infinite whenever you go

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017

The main base will buy the console regardless, if gamepass truly comes to the switch that's just a way to profit from an audience that was NOT going to buy your console.

And it's very likely that MS is moving towards a Gamepass only future, but they have at least one full generation on the console business.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to own all the people playing latency ridden stream-play and those small joysticks :p

This is really cool though

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
People saying "MS is getting nothing out of this" are dead wrong, they're not looking at the big picture.

It's possible this deal could have a component that effectively locks out Amazon/Google from the Switch, its entirely possible that is part of the deal.

Even if its not, MS may have basically "poisoned the well" as it were for other streaming services on Switch, because likely Nintendo will want the same concessions from others as they got from MS (which seems to include an actual cut of revenue) and that may be something Amazon or Google are not willing to do. If they capitulate to Nintendo, what happens if Apple then turns around and says "hey you gotta share with us too if you want your service on our platform".

It's all very interesting.
Part of the problem right now is everything is just speculation... wild speculation. So, its no wonder that we see some thinking that this completely undermines Microsoft and at the same time other thinking this completely undermines Nintendo. I'm confident (assuming this rumor is even true) that once details emerge the limits and benefits to each company will be made clear. For now, I'd say that the basic benifit to MS is more subscribers, while the basic benefit to Nintendo is more content. Anything more nuanced , isn't very helpful at the moment.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the problem right now is everything is just speculation... wild speculation. So, its no wonder that we see some thinking that this completely undermines Microsoft and at the same time other thinking this completely undermines Nintendo. I'm confident (assuming this rumor is even true) that once details emerge the limits and benefits to each company will be made clear. For now, I'd say that the basic benifit to MS is more subscribers, while the basic benefit to Nintendo is more content. Anything more nuanced , isn't very helpful at the moment.

Well I would just say though I doubt this is the first time Nintendo has been asked for a streaming service on Switch. I'm sure Nvidia probably asked if they could put their service on it, Steam would likely put their app on if they were allowed.

For this to be something Nintendo agreed to, they must be getting something more than just "content". Content is meaningless to Nintendo is there's no way for them to monetize it.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
Well I would just say though I doubt this is the first time Nintendo has been asked for a streaming service on Switch. I'm sure Nvidia probably asked if they could put their service on it, Steam would likely put their app on if they were allowed.

For this to be something Nintendo agreed to, they must be getting something more than just "content". Content is meaningless to Nintendo is there's no way for them to monetize it.
I used "content" because that was the term Reggie was using last year in response to Hulu and Netflix questions. I think "content" alone can justify the deal, but I'm also sure that money is a part of the negotiations. I doubt those details are anything so far out of the ordinary that "poisoning the well" is worth discussion and it that it's definitely too soon to even go there.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Watch as Nintendo has a limited catalog of titles on GamePass and they only put 2 or 3 new games each month in there.

Worth it if only for the tears

[Realistically I think they have a deal to bring the games that aren't or will not be on Switch, retire some when necessary and share the profits, and possibly tie it with NSO. Doesn't really matter to me tho, I'll be jumping in back in some stuff like Siege if it comes to Switch]

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

I think the actual deal are the native ports coming to the Switch, and maybe money Microsoft offered to Nintendo to allow this, because the rest (Game Pass, streaming,...) could be the exact same contents Microsoft will then offer on mobile, PC, smart tv.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft will have the most powerful console and Halo Infinite will be a launch title. That's 2 pretty big points and then You will be able to play Halo Infinite whenever you go

No one knows the specs yet for next gen consoles and you won't be able to play Halo "wherever you go" as that's dependent on a good internet connection.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No one knows the specs yet for next gen consoles and you won't be able to play Halo "wherever you go" as that's dependent on a good internet connection.

If you have been following Microsoft you would know that Microsoft will no doubt offer the more powerful system which is why there are 2 systems planned. Your comment on the internet "issue" is petty and sad. I am not knocking Sony either its just whats going to happen

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have been following Microsoft you would know that Microsoft will no doubt offer the more powerful system which is why there are 2 systems planned. Your comment on the internet "issue" is petty and sad. I am not knocking Sony either its just whats going to happen

Again. No one knows the official specs for next gen yet - that's a fact. If they do that's fine but nothing has been confirmed. Petty and sad? lol. Let's be real, you can't take big games that you supposedly stream "wherever you go".

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Again. No one knows the official specs for next gen yet - that's a fact. If they do that's fine but nothing has been confirmed. Petty and sad? lol. Let's be real, you can't take big games that you supposedly stream "wherever you go".

Does this matter anymore Xbox has the potential to connect to the Nintendo Switch, PC, Android devices and mobile phones through XBL, GamePass & Xcloud!

Sony has the potential to connect to PC and PS devices. If you're a 3rd party developer who do you want to developer for first?

Developer will ALWAYS choose money and user-base over personal wants. The choice is clear where gamers will game on 3rd party games!

PS Sony and MS win by default because the PC will always be more powerful than any console over a period of time. Since, the Nintendo Switch game can be tied to XBL Nintendo wins too. If this reach stay's the same, then XBL devices will win by default because of pure reach.

Last edited:

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Halo MCC was a mess on Xbox One and just recently fixed. I don't think MS will spent the resources to downport MCC to Switch. And sure, if you are willing to, you can downport everything but I don't see it, to be honest. For example, look at Gears 4 and 5, two UE4 games on Xbox. And now take a look at the latest Yoshi game on Switch, also an UE4 game - and how low they had to go to make this game possible.
Honestly, that depends on how good the port job is. Yeah, they'll have to downgrade some things, but I can't imagine a last-gen game like Halo 4 being unable to run at 1080p 30fps on the Switch. There are several remasters on the Switch that run significantly better and look better than their Xbox360 and PS3 counterparts. MCC shouldn't be an issue powerwise, even in handheld mode.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
This is a great deal for both parties
nintendo get a whole bunch of games and money
Microsoft might of already won the war for game streaming against amazon/google

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great deal for both parties
nintendo get a whole bunch of games and money
Microsoft might of already won the war for game streaming against amazon/google

That's kinda what I think.

Nintendo got $$$ + content.

MS got an inside track in against Amazon and Google for sure, especially *if* part of the deal is Gamer Pass/xCloud is the only streaming service allowed on Switch (maybe for a set portion of time anyway).

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
One has to wonder if Don Mattrick didn't mess up the XB1's launch so bad and tarnish the brand if Microsoft would still be doing this.

Almost assuredly

Microsoft's entire core as a company has changed to cross-platform everything over the years, they don't care how you get it as long you pay them for it. Office is that way, GamePass is getting there, and XCloud is probably gonna be the same

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, Microsoft is smartly thinking long term here with their focus entirely on the future of gaming via the cloud and creating an ecosystem. And it's a genius move that is good for the industry.

They're not competing against Nintendo or Sony. Amazon, Apple and Google are the monsters under the bed.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Let's not forget that Game Pass has in general increased physical sales due to increased mindshare. Nintendo may sell more physical copies, not less of games that are available native on their platform while being streamed through Gane Pass. No reason not to have full Gane Pass library available even if some of those games are sold full price through Nintendo's store.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The same reason Google makes their own hardware despite letting other companies use Android OS.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Let's not forget that Game Pass has in general increased physical sales due to increased mindshare. Nintendo may sell more physical copies, not less of games that are available native on their platform while being streamed through Gane Pass. No reason not to have full Gane Pass library available even if some of those games are sold full price through Nintendo's store.

Nintendo have a lot of IP that's multiplayer based like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon.

Putting these games on Xbox where multiplayer is massive would see Nintendo make a killing.

Even more so if there is a cross platform tournament to see who is king

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo have a lot of IP that's multiplayer based like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon.

Putting these games on Xbox where multiplayer is massive would see Nintendo make a killing.

Even more so if there is a cross platform tournament to see who is king

Nintendo also becomes the de facto portable Xbox console for gamers primarily invested in Xbox...and you're right, they're trained to pay for services and online. Nintendo hardware sales should see an increase amongst those gamers invested in Game Pass and they should also see an increase in online subscritlions.

Will result in bigger communities playing both Mario Kart and Halo Infinite.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps Switch will get official controllers with analog triggers, if Xbox controllers are not made compatible.