• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
Way before it was announced I said it would be cool if id was developing it, since DOOM gave me great MP vibes. I can't think of a better Western non-Retro developer for the series to be honest.

Maybe Arkane?

Could he perhaps have multiple friends?

He doesn't seem to be a lonely guy... I say we look into it

Apollo007

Nov 12, 2017
Looks like FE is going to have a big presence on Nintendo Switch... This type of game seems like it would fit the system way better than a half-ass port for FIFA....

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's just... I like the leveldesign of Doom, but all the jazz that's in Prime like morphball/spiderball puzzles and general item progression is just not there. Also I liked Prime's bossfights way more. Not sure if they can pull it off but I'd be pleasently surprised ofc.

I don't mean to say that DOOM was similar to Prime in every way, just that the base mechanics- especially the movement- felt a lot like Prime to me. Especially the movement and jumping needed in combat. They've nailed the feel of shooting with Samus, so having a completely different level design, progression and boss/enemy design isn't as much of a task when they have shown they've already mastered the base mechanics.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Way before it was announced I said it would be cool if id was developing it, since DOOM gave me great MP vibes. I can't think of a better Western non-Retro developer for the series to be honest.

Maybe Arkane?

Could he perhaps have multiple friends?

I've let myself speculate that Arkane was developing it because of Bethesda and Nintendo's closeness + Dishonored 2 and Prey under-performing might make it more likely for them to take the deal to work on someone else's IP. I think I was just allowing myself to fall into fantastical fantasy football territory though. I'm hoping that it's a new internal team because that indicates Nintendo is spending some of that reserve cash to build their studios, but I've kinda resigned myself for it being Bandai-Namco or similar. Where there's smoke there's fire, and all.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all this Western dev talk might be completely baseless, we don't know who Vern talks to. Bamco is still the likeliest candidate IMO just due to ZhugeEX's hints.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
The possibility of Metroid Prime 4 being in the next Direct is aaaalmost enough to go into blind hype mode, but I'm better than that. I really just look forward to watching major Directs with everyone, and that's good enough for now. :)

(Thanks EA)

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the Direct:

Kirby - Yep
Yoshi - Yep
Fire Emblem - Probably
Metroid - Maybe
Pokemon - Nope

Any other already announced first party titles?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah all this Western dev talk might be completely baseless, we don't know who Vern talks to. Bamco is still the likeliest candidate IMO just due to ZhugeEX's hints.

If it is BN, and according to their Q&A about 3 Switch exclusives releasing in Spring/Summer, we could expect Metroid Prime to release at the end of the summer with a strong presence at E3 a la Super Mario Odyssey.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean to say that DOOM was similar to Prime in every way, just that the base mechanics- especially the movement- felt a lot like Prime to me. Especially the movement and jumping needed in combat. They've nailed the feel of shooting with Samus, so having a completely different level design, progression and boss/enemy design isn't as much of a task when they have shown they've already mastered the base mechanics.
Hmmm. True. It wouldn't be too bad I guess... Bamco on the other hand...

Bamco would make the least sense imo. Did they do any first person shooter game? Like, ever? I would be worried af if Bamco doing it is true.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If it is BN, and according to their Q&A about 3 Switch exclusives releasing in Spring/Summer, we could expect Metroid Prime to release at the end of the summer with a strong presence at E3 a la Super Mario Odyssey.

Zhuge specifically said this game he heard about was separate from those 3 exclusives.

Bamco would make the least sense imo. Did they do any first person shooter game? Like, ever? I would be worried af if Bamco doing it is true.

Yeah I agree it doesn't make all that much sense but I can't think of another game that fits the hint, especially since he said he forgot Smash even existed when he made that post.

Deleted member 24540

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hope the game lives up to the expectations and isn't the next Star Fox!! ...Zero.

Prime 4, the sequel that it is, will be judged based on whether it can capture the magic of the original and live up to the quality standards of a 97 metascore game for the lack of a better term. We already had a cutesy outsourced project in Samus Returns so let's see the true form of Nintendo now please.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe Arkane?

My hype level for MP4 is pretty low because I know Retro isn't involved and it will be almost impossible for any other external developer to hit the previous heights of the original trilogy.

But if it's somehow Arkane, holy wowza them teaming with Nintendo would be something special indeed!

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Yeah I agree it doesn't make all that much sense but I can't think of another game that fits the hint, especially since he said he forgot Smash even existed when he made that post.

Wouldn't a new Kid Icarus be a "Kid Icarus 4"? Sakurai has worked with Bandai Namco before so it isn't totally out of left field. :thinking:

A western dev for MP4 makes a lot of sense, and wouldn't be the first time.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't a new Kid Icarus be a "Kid Icarus 4"? Sakurai has worked with Bandai Namco before so it isn't totally out of left field. :thinking:

A western dev for MP4 makes a lot of sense, and wouldn't be the first time.

Hmm I suppose it's possible? The way he teased the number 4 made me think he knew the 4 would be recognizable, not fairly vague like it is there. I mean, a new Punch Out would also be Punch Out 4 but it's not something you'd recognize as "4".

Who knows! I'd be thrilled with a new Kid Icarus though of course.

Oct 26, 2017
Vern's mate seeing MP4 makes me think it is being developed by an external team that is NOT in Japan. I wouldn't think MP4 would be far enough along for Nintendo's localization branches to have their hands on it, and most of Vern's previous leaks seem to be related to western titles.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Vern lives in China so IDK if he would have more sources in America than Japan.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game wise besides new announcements I just want to see more of Fire Emblem Switch. Don't care at all about yoshi or kirby or pokemon, and I doubt metroid will do anything for me.

They really need a big time OS rundown on this direct. It's missing a ridiculous amount of features that people have gotten used to on the other systems.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nier on PS4 runs at 900p with framerate dips and already isn't much of a looker, so I can't really see it on Switch. Also Square Enix seems to have rigid views of what should be on Sony's platform and what should be Nintendo, so I doubt we'll ever see a Nier or Yoko Taro game on there.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Nier on PS4 runs at 900p with framerate dips and already isn't much of a looker, so I can't really see it on Switch. Also Square Enix seems to have rigid views of what should be on Sony's platform and what should be Nintendo, so I doubt we'll ever see a Nier or Yoko Taro game on there.

Didn't they say during their last Q&A that no IP, may it be new, dormant or currently used, is off the table concerning their Switch projects ?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they say during their last Q&A that no IP, may it be new, dormant or currently used, is off the table concerning their Switch projects ?

I pointed this out in the SE thread. SE going out of their way to say this is sending a signal. Maybe to Sony to pay them more money or to Nintendo to ask for more money to ports of certain games. It was the previous president Yoichi Wada who had the rigid views and that still lead to several very productive years with the NDS FF remakes and other games.

Personally I do think this has less to do with Neir than the fact that newer numbered FF games might be coming to Switch. Something Nintendo hasn't gotten for 20 years.

What the hell is up with Pikmin 4? My son is gonna lose it when it's announced. He has been waiting so long.
Nintendo decided they want to have a steady stream of Switch releases. They've done a good job so far. I've always said that Nintendo has switch games ready to drop at a 2 months notice. No telling when Pikmin will get it's turn but it definitely has to be one of those games that are ready to ship on a moment's notice. It's been in development for a while, started on WiiU I think.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
wow, why is nier 900p on ps4...?
it's 60 fps (right?) but still

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo might currently be at its best its ever been and riding a huge wave of momentum. This Nintendo Direct has the potential to be The Chosen One.

Choo choo!!!!!!!!!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't really think Bethesda is doing MP4, but if it was, I actually think any of the studios at Bethesda would at least make an okay Metroid game, even Bethesda Game Studios itself. All of them make first person action games with some focus on exploration and developing the player character's abilities. Of those studios Arkane has definitely displayed the greatest ability to make a Mettroidvania. A Metroid that's like Prey and Arx Fatalis would be dope. But I wouldn't put it above MachineGames or id to do a good job either.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
So uh... Vern did your friend tell you what Prime 4 looked like? Not asking about specifics or anything like that. More about.. did it look great? Did it look rough?

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any chance of seeing ports for Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? Also, what are the chances original Wii games get ported or are eventually available in the Virtual Console? Games such as The Last Story and Pandora's Tower to be specific?

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
YEEEES time for another Nintendo Direct! Major excitement levels hitting the roof, praises EA (even though the shit they've done this year is unacceptable).

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get some kind of Donkey Kong tease. Tropical Freeze port. New game, anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.