• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Astral Chain really doesn't look similar to Scalebound, even in concept. Astral Chain has you with various AI partner characters that you can presumably switch up on the fly, most of which are humanoid. Scalebound has you with a single dragon which apparently grows with you through RPG mechanics and customization, and which you can control (at any time? Not sure about that).

The only similarities between these games is having a partner character. How that is implemented, what they can do, the actual combat and gameplay itself, all of that looks up be completely different.
Let's just say scalebound was cut into pieces of meat and cooked into astral chain

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018

Here's a video from someone that first reported on the game's cancellation.

The guy on Reddit most likely made it up

The "research" link in the description of his video just links to his channel? Don't know why people take some youtubers ideas as gospel, unless that guy has some kind of in, which I find unlikely as unless he has both an in at both Microsoft and Platinum it's kinda hard to tell either way.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say scalebound was cut into pieces of meat and cooked into astral chain

I mean, maybe there's stuff from Scalebound we never really knew about that did make it into other games like Astral Chain but as of right now all I can see is "AI partner" which is hardly an idea that originated with Scalebound.

Mar 23, 2018
No ( but I know that scalebound was definitely in the cards but it turned into astral chain). but astral chain having similar core gameplay mechanics its pretty obvious that scalebound isn't coming back. Lol it's maddening how this rumor spread like wild fire. Shit is everywhere on my timeline

Poor kamiya :c

I honestly don't see the resemblance at all. What kind of mechanics is Astral Chain taking from Scalebound? Scalebound didn't even seem like a character action game; we saw more combos during Astral Chain's reveal than during Scalebound's whole lifetime. Were these similar mechanics only shown to the press or something like that?

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
Astral Chain really doesn't look similar to Scalebound, even in concept. Astral Chain has you with various AI partner characters that you can presumably switch up on the fly, most of which are humanoid. Scalebound has you with a single dragon which apparently grows with you through RPG mechanics and customization, and which you can control (at any time? Not sure about that).

The only similarities between these games is having a partner character. How that is implemented, what they can do, the actual combat and gameplay itself, all of that looks up be completely different.

I think the best comparison for Astral Chain when it comes to the combat, is to Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the use of the different Blades. I know this is a JRPG and not an action game, but in concept, that's the closest game I can think of.

Oct 25, 2017
The "research" link in the description of his video just links to his channel? Don't know why people take some youtubers ideas as gospel, unless that guy has some kind of in, which I find unlikely as unless he has both an in at both Microsoft and Platinum it's kinda hard to tell either way.
His sources told him about Scalebound's cancellation.
We know this is true since there's proof he was seemingly the first
60% percent that. I'm putting 40% on that dude with the goddamn detective Pikachu avatar.
Nintendo avatars are the worst

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/scalebound-gameplay/ Here's an early preview of the game, complete with the first gameplay footage of the game, which says or indicates nothing about a online. It does however say the game would include up to four player co op, but that differs greatly from what we say near the cancellation of the game, with tons of players swarming around in one area.

It's crystal clear that this game was originally slated to be a single player arpg.
The original vision isn't really the original vision. It's hard to judge who decided what needed to change.

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Kamiya has been in bed with Nintendo anyways, makes sense to not want all that work on scalebound go to waste all things considering.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Parallels are drawn between Scalebound and Astral Chain as both were character action games (even if we didn't see a lot in the former), wherein the player has a secondary AI controlled companion fighting alongside them, of which can be integrated into existing combos or tasked with autonomous offense and defense functions with item support. On paper, from the little we know about both, Astral Chain has all of these functions also. In the latter you can command your Legion to fight independently, and support them with items.

It might seem superficial, but it's probably a hold over of ideas from Scalebound, largely reinvisioned but still fundamentally based on the Player Character + AI Partner concept, namely Platinum's take on that AI partner and how they integrate with combos and operate individually.

The biggest change is scale (pun intended), as Scalebound seemed much more like Kamiya's vision of this idea however the size difference between each character being far vaster. A game where you partnered with a semi-autonomous AI, but the scale of battles ranged much larger.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
If the whole thing about Scalebound being reused into various games is true, I wonder if we might get something involving an Action RPG with Dragons from Platinum.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh wow it's likely to be scalbound now? Ohhh this is getting juicy. A great pickup from Xbox if true. Come to think of it...considering how microsoft is being so buddy buddy with nintendo as of late this makes even more sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Parallels are drawn between Scalebound and Astral Chain as both were character action games (even if we didn't see a lot in the former), wherein the player has a secondary AI controlled companion fighting alongside them, of which can be integrated into existing combos or tasked with autonomous offense and defense functions with item support. On paper, from the little we know about both, Astral Chain has all of these functions also. In the latter you can command your Legion to fight independently, and support them with items.

It might seem superficial, but it's probably a hold over of ideas from Scalebound, largely reinvisioned but still fundamentally based on the Player Character + AI Partner concept, namely Platinum's take on that AI partner and how they integrate with combos and operate individually.

The biggest change is scale (pun intended), as Scalebound seemed much more like Kamiya's vision of this idea however the size difference between each character being far vaster. A game where you partnered with a semi-autonomous AI, but the scale of battles ranged much larger.
The genres are probably different with an action-action adventure vs an action RPG with towns, loot, levels, etc.
They probably are using some ideas, like this, but it doesn't look similar otherwise. Fighting with an AI dragon doesn't really compare to fighting alongside a human sized/humanoid
DzdvDomVYAE3rF5

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What doesn't sit right with me about Scalebound being the fertilizer from which Astral Chain grew is that the latter is only being supervised by Kamiya. Sure some ideas might have been inspired by elements that were in Scalebound, but I feel like if AC was the realization of those elements that finally showed them off properly, Kamiya would be directing it.

Despite everything, I still don't think this is Scalebound. At all. This thread is worth it, though :)

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You pulled a random reddit post that said the game was canned because it played poorly. None of the other reliable sources claim that. Kamiya was stressed, we heard that PG and Ms clashed.
You seem to have forgotten my statements. I claimed that the image showed that the development was troublesome essentially.

Microsoft funded them for years, ever since 2013 and the game was suppose to be 2016 but got delayed then delayed again. I do not blame Microsoft at all for cancelling the project that Platinum Games failed to deliver in time.

The point of what I'm saying is that the game has a troubled development. If you don't wish to believe a random reddit post, that is understandable. However my intention from the start was to convey that it has troubled development which I proved in later posts.

Seems there was a misunderstanding.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
didn't Imran say that the game he was talking about wasn't revealed yet and was probably years away

how could it possibly be astral chain

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Man it's crazy how these things snowball....one vague mention and now here we are with all sorts of people chiming in.

I've always been curious about things industry people hear or get wind of and just dont put out there or talk about because they don't want to be the only one. Not that it's a bad thing...

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I've always been curious about things industry people hear or get wind of and just dont put out there or talk about because they don't want to be the only one. Not that it's a bad thing...
Nintendo is known to not comment on any rumors officially, unless the rumors tarnish their branding. However, they do employ tactical esponiage by infiltrating news media and give them fake rumors and insider information.

It happens, but Nintendo is known to do this often, which involves rumors sometimes being true and false.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Nintendo is known to not comment on any rumors officially, unless the rumors tarnish their branding. However, they do employ tactical esponiage by infiltrating news media and give them fake rumors and insider information.

It happens, but Nintendo is known to do this often, which involves rumors sometimes being true and false.

That's insane and awesome at the same time...man the ninjas at Nintendo hard at work lol.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty confident that Nintendo will deliver. I feel they can look at a game like Scalebound and make whatever changes the game needs to succeed. I don't feel Microsoft has that same ability.
Suda was able to do whatever he wanted on Travis Strikes Again. There's no doubt Kamiya would get the same treatment from Nintendo. They wouldn't need to interfere and change anything.

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think that what we've seen from Astral Chain would pass as giving orders to a huge dragon that fights against giant monsters in a large medieval-like world. I think that was the whole vibe the game was trying to give, which I didn't get at all from Astral Chain. So Mr.Platinum, or whoever is in charge, there's still a place for that kind of game and we would like to see it again in the furute if possible. Thank you.

Besides, if this is indeed Scalebound's "current form" or the closest Scalebound is going to get to become a released project, why isn't Kamiya directing it? Isn't it his dream game? :( I hope Kamiya still wants to direct video games and that he didn't get negative towards the idea after Scalebound's cancellation... that is if he isn't directing Bayo 3, which Imran actually mentioned(IIRC) and would make sense to the whole story about Kamiya not directing + Astral Chain is using Scalebound's ideas.

Well, this is getting even more interesting.

Edit: Of course, this thread could also turn into a blue balls experience pretty quickly if nothing comes off it LOL That would be our bad!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It ain't scalebound..

Not to question your integrity at all. Era does have a mod verified section to genuine insiders but it doesn't appear to be used for all such members..

And since you don't yet state that it's not so emphatically, basically I'm at a loss lol to if you're a regular member or insider.

?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I just realized that this finally the perfect time for the perfect curve ball. A game that no one would see coming. A buried remake of a cult classic.

Chakan: The Forever Man, developed by From Software.

Nailed it! Bookmark this post, motherfuckers. ;)

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people saying Scalebound just to fuel console wars is pretty astounding.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, I just realized that this finally the perfect time for the perfect curve ball. A game that no one would see coming. A buried remake of a cult classic.

Chakan: The Forever Man, developed by From Software.

Nailed it! Bookmark this post, motherfuckers. ;)
:p You had me going there until From Software. I don't want it to play like Dark Souls.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they need to revive Scalebound (which looked liked shit), when they have Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 coming from Platinum? Makes no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.