• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The fact your talking so freely about the project, it's probably safe to assume that this isn't the game Nintendo reviving then. If it was, you'd be media silent.

Pack it up everyone, time to speculate on other games.
He's not at PlatinumGames any more so I was under the impression he's just giving us some much appreciated insight on what the project was like under Microsoft, not what may or may not be happening now.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
None of the big sites like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, etc. have reported on the Scalebound rumor yet. Hmm. Maybe they know it's fake.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Megaman Legends 3. It seems like platinum has enough going on already.

Megaman has had all those classic collection releases and 11. It's time.
Yup Mega Man is having a brand revival, might as well resurrect the game that caused it to spiral down after they canned it to regain those still burnt fans. Would make them Capgod again for me personally.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What doesn't sit right with me about Scalebound being the fertilizer from which Astral Chain grew is that the latter is only being supervised by Kamiya. Sure some ideas might have been inspired by elements that were in Scalebound, but I feel like if AC was the realization of those elements that finally showed them off properly, Kamiya would be directing it.

Despite everything, I still don't think this is Scalebound. At all. This thread is worth it, though :)
Not necessarily. There's no hard and fast rule about these things in studios. For example, when Obsidian was working on Stormlands, the big RPG for MS which got canned, JE Sawyer was the director. It was based on ideas he and Avellone proposed at the time iirc. After it was cancelled Sawyer went on to launch the Pillars of Eternity IP. Later the ideas they had for Stormlands were revived to be used in Tyranny - a game that neither Sawyer nor Avellone had any part in.

So if they wanted to reuse some ideas from Scalebound in Astral Chain, and Kamiya says "yeah that would be cool", it doesn't mean he would want to direct the game himself. Especially when it's someone else's project now.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If it is Mega Man Legends 3, I don't see why Nintendo would need to have any direct involvement in it. Surely Capcom has seen the demand for more Mega Man and would be willing to start a new Mega Man Legends project on its own accord.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
No. It wasn't. It was always a co-op game from the first paper design document. We didn't reveal co-op at first other than teasing it in the CG trailer and hinting hard in interviews. The first year we only showed gameplay, we only showed single player because that was always the marketing plan. The tons of players swarming was four players and their dragons in a boss fight. The same four players and their dragons hinted at in the CG reveal.

I didn't know you were the creative producer? Wouldn't you know if Scalebound was picked up by Nintendo then?

Edit: Oh wait, you are no longer with PG.

Well Scalebound looked great! Just to let you know.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
The fact your talking so freely about the project, it's probably safe to assume that this isn't the game Nintendo reviving then. If it was, you'd be media silent.

Pack it up everyone, time to speculate on other games.

Since 20 pages ago.

But people think it has been revived into a very different game.. but then, why not just make a new IP?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
If it is Mega Man Legends 3, I don't see why Nintendo would need to have any direct involvement in it. Surely Capcom has seen the demand for more Mega Man and would be willing to start a new Mega Man Legends project on its own accord.
They are probably working on X9 right now and might not want to split resources. So Capcom gets X9 and Nintendo helps with Legends 3 (since it would be the bigger game)

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
What if this dead and buried game is actually the canned Retro project and Retro has been working on it for the last 4 years?

tenor.gif

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Platinum Games have plenty of game mechanics that they reuse in completely different games with different directors/teams. Like, NieR Automata is basically Bayonetta Lite. It takes a whole lot of mechanics from Bayonetta (but is a bit more shallow). Transformers is basically Bayonetta with Transformers skin & some Transformers appropriate moves added. So someone inside Platinum might easily have taken a look at Scalebound and have been inspired to try a somewhat similar "player + AI parter attacking in unison but capable of fighting separately" feature and changed it to apply to smaller robot partners.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily. There's no hard and fast rule about these things in studios. For example, when Obsidian was working on Stormlands, the big RPG for MS which got canned, JE Sawyer was the director. It was based on ideas he and Avellone proposed at the time iirc. After it was cancelled Sawyer went on to launch the Pillars of Eternity IP. Later the ideas they had for Stormlands were revived to be used in Tyranny - a game that neither Sawyer nor Avellone had any part in.

So if they wanted to reuse some ideas from Scalebound in Astral Chain, and Kamiya says "yeah that would be cool", it doesn't mean he would want to direct the game himself. Especially when it's someone else's project now.

Oh absolutely, and that is a great example of ideas carrying over under different people. I was just under the impression that the idea of Scalebound was kind of Kamiya's baby, and if there were another game that carried over those ideas in a capacity that would be the best they could given the opportunities that existed, Kamiya would maybe want to keep control of his baby, even in another form.

Then again, I am ignorant of tons of things that could contribute to this, like Kamiya having a change of heart after the MS fallout, him feeling confident in passing off those design elements to folks he trusts, a change in the way the studio approached things, how Platinum's realtionship with Nintendo evolved, etc.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/scalebound-gameplay/ Here's an early preview of the game, complete with the first gameplay footage of the game, which says or indicates nothing about online. It does however say the game would include up to four player co op, but that differs greatly from what we saw near the cancellation of the game, with tons of players swarming around in one area.

It's crystal clear that this game was originally slated to be a single player arpg.
lmao, no bro, no

Nice to see a reply officially putting a stop to this fanboy made up nonsense too

edit: this too:

I believe there has been some commentary in line with that from various journos or insiders since it's cancellation. I don't want to dig for it, but essentially MS wanted more of a multiplayer focus, which would make a lot of sense given where they were focusing during that games development. It's not like Microsoft hasn't had past issues with how they've managed games being developed for them.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Mega Man Legends 3 was leading this poll the last I checked.

Honestly I'm starting to think it's something super obscure that no one really cared about.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3 was leading this poll the last I checked.

Honestly I'm starting to think it's something super obscure that no one really cared about.

Sticking with Chakan: The Forever Man. No one cares, except me. Plus, something about all this stinks like something Sega-related.

Don't ask me why. It's literally tales from my ass. Well, not literally. That would be gross.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think it would be rad if it indeed is Scalebound, but there is one tiny problem. The game ran sluggishly on the XB1. Is it even remotely possible for it to run respectably on the Switch without extensive visual downgrades? Like, I think it would take ARK levels of downgrades to run at a solid clip, and then it would be a shadow of its former self.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
If the project is really out of left field from what Imran was hinting at (and obviously not Scalebound), then fuck it I'll pull something out of the indie gaming market that infamously imploded from total incompetence:

Beast's Fury

Just to add some nuttiness to the theory: Nintendo gives the game to Lab Zero once they get around finishing Indivisible. If you followed the story of the game, the reaction from it's creator (Rhyan Stevens) would be a popcorn-eatin' worthy event. The FGC would certainty get a kick out it.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
What Nintendo would do with Scalebound? From what I remember, the demo looked rough.

I can't think in any game which was cancelled and and buried by a third party apart from the early days of Retro Studios with their Raven Blade.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
We live in a world where the original Devil May Cry is coming back in less than a month, after eleven years of radio silence and a reboot.

Anything is possible.

Live your dreams.

Ask your Mom.

Next week in gaming magazines.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Another reason it ain't Scalebound:

Platinum said they had a "shapeless and formless" game being done by new director. Astral Chain is by NieR Automata's Taura and Bayo is obviously not that, so it must be the third game they mentioned.

I can't imagine anyone but Kamiya himself directing a Scalebound revival.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I think it would be rad if it indeed is Scalebound, but there is one tiny problem. The game ran sluggishly on the XB1. Is it even remotely possible for it to run respectably on the Switch without extensive visual downgrades? Like, I think it would take ARK levels of downgrades to run at a solid clip, and then it would be a shadow of its former self.

Yeah, it's possible. By throwing the Unreal Engine 4, and switching to the PlatinumGames in house engine.

Unreal Engine 4 was the main reason behind the cancellation of the game.

The game was struggling even in Xbox One, because this engine is not intended for games with this scope on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's possible. By throwing the Unreal Engine 4, and switching to the PlatinumGames in house engine.

Unreal Engine 4 was the main reason behind the cancellation of the game.

The game was struggling even in Xbox One, because this engine is not intended for games with this scope on consoles.
Fortnite is an open world game with 100 players.
The video mentions there were some things Pg wanted to cut back but weren't allowed to

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The salt would be unprecedented if its Scalebound, sweet mercy. No way that ends up happening, it's too crazy. If it scored 1 meta higher than Crackdown 3, MS would never hear the end of it

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why did you say bad things about Scalebound?

Taking a look at some gameplay, it actually looks neat.

To me, I see a directionless game. You call forth a gigantic dragon, yet you transform into a beast yourself. You have arrows but also fight up close. You're constantly using a grappling hook to latch onto a monster properly to break it's parts instead of the fight being about movement. The humans just get destroyed by your dragon. You can then throw a Monster Hunter like shock trap to stun the monster too. You then progress the stage in a somewhat linear fashion but nothing is really engaging you.

I see this as way too many ideas put into one to the point I don't see the challenge nor the direction of it. Scalebound, at least in it's current form doesn't look like a good game to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.