• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
While a bit pricey, I have been holding on to my 970 for like 7 years now so I think I'll jump in.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 3070 I bought at MSRP in 2020 and they're making it hard to justify upgrading.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Reasonable prices for the RTX 4000 series seems to be a fantasy at this point.

This is a reasonable price though? The 3070 only launched at $500 because it had a compromised VRAM configuration. $100 more after the inflation of the last year for a card with a reasonable VRAM pool is entirely reasonable. By all means complain about the price of the 4080, but this is half of that and it's a lot more than half the performance. How is that not reasonable?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
$600 huh.. if it's similar to 3080 price in Indonesia then maybe I'll get this one instead of the 4070TI which costs like $1000 here or 4080 which costs like $1400 lol.

Should still be good upgrade over my 1080, and hopefully the RT performance won't be too bad for production work too..

Although I kinda wish Nvidia follows AMD already and bump up the VRAM for all their cards.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Embarrassing, nobody buy this, unless you're buying a 4090, go AMD, last gen or even better hold off
Yeah I'm pretty much going back to AMD at this point in the 2nd half of this year either with a last gen card or a newer gen card if the price is right. The 4070 was the last gpu I was interested in and it's still above what I would pay for and I can't imagine the AIBs that will obviously normally be above 600 bucks on average.

Ulcus

Nov 3, 2017
I'm curious if it will be the card for Canada that will be under a 1000$ in Canada for the 4000 serie. I got my Asus Dual 3070 at 850$ cad, that was the MSRP. I was able to sell my 6 years old r9-390 for 350$ to offset the cost but I hate how the midrange basically disappeared.
I would pay 250$ to 350$ cad every 3-5 years for a new GPU if there was a game like Fallout 4 I wanted to play on PC for mods.

The price are finally going down for GPU, and the XX70 is more that midrange, but at the same time seing them at 1100 CAD and the 4080 at 1600$ seem insane. Great if your work pay for them for big data, but i'm very curious of the price for the 4050 and 4060.

JCR

Oct 27, 2017
Not great, not terrible.

I don't see myself needing to upgrade for another couple of years but if I needed one now I'd probably bite at that price.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
$500 in 2020 is equal to ~$588 today, so this is priced about the same as the 3070 was when it launched.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
shit i might cop this if true, was planning on upgrading from my 1660 ti within the next month or 2 and since I only want to game at high/max settings at 1080p 60fps this should be able to do that no sweat. Especially with DLSS 3

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
This is a reasonable price though? The 3070 only launched at $500 because it had a compromised VRAM configuration. $100 more after the inflation of the last year for a card with a reasonable VRAM pool is entirely reasonable. By all means complain about the price of the 4080, but this is half of that and it's a lot more than half the performance. How is that not reasonable?
Compared to other 4000 series cards maybe, but this is basically a 3080 that's a bit cheaper but still not the most value oriented for many out there. And those AIBs will obviously be over 600 bucks on average getting closer to 700 bucks territory which I'm not into that either.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Embarrassing, nobody buy this, unless you're buying a 4090, go AMD, last gen or even better hold off

This is much better value than a 4090 though, so I don't see how this post makes much sense?

The AMD card with equivalent RT performance to this card launched at $900? I don't see how going AMD is going to improve things?

I'm shocked at the responses in this thread. Feels like everyone just have their stock responses to Nvidia price announcements lined up. This is a good deal at $600, the absolute best anyone could have reasonably expected.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
So it's like a 3080 Ti but half the price?

Still looking like my next card will be a used 3090 for ~700€.

Amphere was weird in that the 3080, 3080 Ti, 3090 and 3090 Ti all used the same GA102 chip. Typically the xx80 card has been a full cut below the top-end chip (1080 vs 1080 Ti, 2080 vs 2080 Ti).

So $700 in 2020 already got you the big boy chip, with the $1200 3080 Ti only being 12% faster and the $1500 3090 only being 14% faster. From a value perspective the 10GB 3080 destroyed everything in the high-end, with the only drawback being the razer thin VRAM margin.

Nvidia anchored the sub-$1000 Ada cards to Amphere level performance which means they don't have much wiggle room due to the $700 2.5 year old 3080 existing. The generational improvement at some of these price ranges is going to be negligible outside of a VRAM boost.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Compared to other 4000 series cards maybe, but this is basically a 3080 that's a bit cheaper but still not the most value oriented for many out there. And those AIBs will obviously be over 600 bucks on average getting closer to 700 bucks territory which I'm not into that either.

I'm comparing it to the 3070 right in my post. The 3080 was lauded as one of the best price: performance cards launched for years. This is $100 cheaper after a year of record inflation, with 2GB additional VRAM and DLSS3 support. It's a good price any which way you slice it.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
shit i might cop this if true, was planning on upgrading from my 1660 ti within the next month or 2 and since I only want to game at high/max settings at 1080p 60fps this should be able to do that no sweat. Especially with DLSS 3

DLSS3 isn't particularly useful at 60hz and it's not like you'll need it to reach that at 1080p on this card. If you've got a high refresh rate monitor though, it's a great way to bump up to 120/144hz.

This will be a gigantic upgrade over a 1660 Ti for you just make sure your CPU/memory is upto par or you'll be at serious risk of bottlenecking it at 1080p.

Jun 1, 2021
DLSS3 isn't particularly useful at 60hz and it's not like you'll need it to reach that at 1080p on this card. If you've got a high refresh rate monitor though, it's a great way to bump up to 120/144hz.

This will be a gigantic upgrade over a 1660 Ti for you just make sure your CPU/memory is upto par or you'll be at serious risk of bottlenecking it at 1080p.

Is there any sort of tool that can compare specs to see if my cpu would bottle neck a new card?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This is much better value than a 4090 though, so I don't see how this post makes much sense?

The AMD card with equivalent RT performance to this card launched at $900? I don't see how going AMD is going to improve things?

I'm shocked at the responses in this thread. Feels like everyone just have their stock responses to Nvidia price announcements lined up. This is a good deal at $600, the absolute best anyone could have reasonably expected.
Because if youre looking for 4090 performance you cant get that anywhere else, its like buying a Hypercar, yeah theyre expensive AF but what are you going to buy instead if you need to drive as fast as a Hypercar. 4090 just like a Hypercar isn't about value.

As far as the AMD part, it falls in line with my last gen recommendation, there are better options from AMD and Nvidia on last gen for the same performance as the 4070, it has nothing to do with if AMD is better then Nvidia as a brand, hell I have a 3090 myself.

Going AMD or Last gen has two affects, first giving more market share to another competitor has long term benefits in any market but fine lets say you dont want AMD, then buy a 3080 or 3080Ti or hold off altogether if you can as both those last two things affect Nvidia's pockets in a way that shows them they can't take advantage of us this gen like they want to.

This card is a repurposed 4060 with what should be 70 ti pricing. If we don't want that again next gen or price drops this gen we need what's happened with the 4080 to happen to every card in the lineup.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any sort of tool that can compare specs to see if my cpu would bottle neck a new card?

What is it and what's your memory.? It's easy to notice in game as if you're not hitting a Vsync or framerate cap and your GPU utilisation is below 95% then you're hitting a CPU bottleneck. The problem is it changes from game to game and even scene to scene within a game. Certain titles like the Last Of Us port or Flight Sim make it near impossible to totally avoid.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022

I wanna use ray tracing if possible which is why I mentioned DLSS since ray tracing is a huge hit but DLSS can help with it a ton from videos i've seen, but if I don't need it then even better.

This is my CPU, would it suffice or would it cause bottlenecking? I've looked around and people have said it's good for gaming but I don't want to waste my money if it's not up to snuff

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm comparing it to the 3070 right in my post. The 3080 was lauded as one of the best price: performance cards launched for years. This is $100 cheaper after a year of record inflation, with 2GB additional VRAM and DLSS3 support. It's a good price any which way you slice it.
Like I said, compared to the other 4000 series gpus, yes. For me and probably many others it could had a bit better due to what extra you would have to pay for. There's simply no way I'm paying 600+ for this but power to those who want this if 600 range is their budget.

I'll just look at AMD's options that will come later to see how it'll compare to it. If AMD is somehow worse that would be shocking.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
As far as the AMD part, it falls in line with my last gen recommendation, there are better options from AMD and Nvidia on last gen for the same performance as the 4070, it has nothing to do with if AMD is better then Nvidia as a brand, hell I have a 3090 myself.

No last gen AMD card can match the RT performance of this card, so you're recommending a card that doesn't exist. A 7900XT falls below a 3080 (and thus a 4070) in RT heavy scenes and that was a gigantic leap forward in RT performance over RDNA2 cards.

AMD have no equivalent at this price point. For $600 this is the best GPU you can buy.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Pc gaming pricing me out I'm afraid to say. Havnt touched my pc in a while for gaming anyways..: been using steam deck and consoles. This price just a few years ago would have got you the best GPU on the market… what the fuck happened

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Like I said, compared to the other 4000 series gpus, yes. For me and probably many others it could had a bit better due to what extra you would have to pay for. There's simply no way I'm paying 600+ for this but power to those who want this if 600 range is their budget.

I'll just look at AMD's options that will come later to see how it'll compare to it. If AMD is somehow worse that would be shocking.

We already know what AMD's option with equivalent RT performance is because they already launched it at $900.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No last gen AMD card can match the RT performance of this card, so you're recommending a card that doesn't exist. A 7900XT falls below a 3080 (and thus a 4070) in RT heavy scenes and that was a gigantic leap forward in RT performance over RDNA2 cards.

AMD have no equivalent at this price point. For $600 this is the best GPU you can buy.
My friend then get a 3080 or 3080ti, im not saying you have to choose AMD. I said AMD or Nvidia last gen.

Also, if you really want to pick straws, the RT performance on this card isn't enough anyway your game is going to run like ass relative to its base rasterization so who freaking cares.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Fake news everyone. They have more RAM than the launch 3080. Nvidia will never let down their scalpers

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I wanna use ray tracing if possible which is why I mentioned DLSS since ray tracing is a huge hit but DLSS can help with it a ton from videos i've seen, but if I don't need it then even better.

This is my CPU, would it suffice or would it cause bottlenecking? I've looked around and people have said it's good for gaming but I don't want to waste my money if it's not up to snuff

That's still a very decent CPU, should be a nice pairing. You'll be using DLSS super resolution (2) but you're not going to need frame gen to get to 1080p/60hz in RT titles on this card.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I am wondering what the price in € will be cause the euro is stronger than the dollar again.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I'm going to be hanging onto my 3080 for a very long time. Fuck all these prices if this a window into the future

Hanging onto my 9900K/32GB/2080 system until it can't do 1440p/60 anymore. I don't even expect 120fps unless it's an older/less demanding game which is fine by me.

I'll re-evaluate late next year once Intel 20A and Nvidia 5000 series comes out - fingers crossed Nvidia gets their head out of their asses but we'll see.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You won't be bottlenecked at 1080p60 on anything with that cpu and this GPU. Outside of the path tracing tech demos coming. Hell, this GPU is overkill, it's around a 3080 ti from last gen, and i used that with a 9600k and could play most games at 4k60 with normal DLSS.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the prices, when I saw this slide at CES 2023, the paradigm between older and newer gen has changed;

Oh yeah, it's specifically targeted at mainstream gamers he said :p

14:20 in the video: https://youtu.be/CJWZuZsD0zQ?t=864

ByauRwD3Hi2HL2KZWaaEfA.jpg

NVIDIA can just spread out their newer series on a higher pricing bracket and sell their older stock at >MSRP as there's no competition in that segment. That's the strategy.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
We already know what AMD's option with equivalent RT performance is because they already launched it at $900.
Sadly, which went down to 800 bucks and is still too much.

But regarding RT, it's still not fully worth it until like 2025-2026 at this point for acceptable performance without DLSS and FSR at high fps(120fps+). With DLSS/FSR on it can be worth it somewhat depending on the game but I see it as more future proof, just like 4k, 8k and such.

I rely more on rasterized performance, RT is just a bonus. When RT becomes a standard that's when RT performance will matter a lot more but we'll have much more powerful gpus by then.

Conf

Dec 4, 2021
MLID and his $750 to $799 (lol) "rumor/leak" was wrong??
Say it ain't so...

$600 for a less power hungry ~3080 + 12GB and DLSS3
Considering what 3080/6800 XT still cost today (new) that's at least a "decent" current gen option

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly, which went down to 800 bucks and is still too much.

But regarding RT, it's still not fully worth it until like 2025-2026 at this point for acceptable performance without DLSS and FSR at high fps(120fps+). With DLSS/FSR on it can be worth it somewhat depending on the game but I see it as more future proof, just like 4k, 8k and such.

I rely more on rasterized performance, RT is just a bonus. When RT becomes a standard that's when RT performance will matter a lot more but we'll have much more powerful gpus by then.

Native Performance is irrelevant. DLSS often surpasses the image quality of native resolution TAA even in the performance mode at 4K so there's no good argument for turning it off. It's a different equation on AMD hardware because FSR2 doesn't have the same image quality and the RT performance is so poor.

I'm enjoying games with the full gamut of RT effects like Witcher Enhanced at 4K/120hz thanks to DLSS3. No need to wait, the hardware is already here, and it's great that it's now accessible at $600.

As a previous user of the 3070, I completely accept that RT is far less useful at that performance tier and VRAM capacity. A 12GB 3080/3080Ti tier card with DLSS3 support though? That's a very capable RT card.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm unimpressed. Guess I'm out. Glad I live with someone with a cracked out gaming PC because at modern rates I'll never be building my own again.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
MLID and his $750 to $799 (lol) "rumor/leak" was wrong??
Say it ain't so...

$600 for a less power hungry ~3080 + 12GB and DLSS3
Considering what 3080/6800 XT still cost today (new) that's at least a "decent" current gen option

I'm just pleased there's going to be a reasonably priced card that's an easy recommendation without caveats. That's a huge step forward.