Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would make a ton of sense, honestly. I can't imagine the quality of production modern FROM could achieve with the backing of Sony.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
'Talks' go on all the time judging by what we've heard before of talks that went nowhere. I'd almost be more surprised if there wasn't some level of talks between various different parties and From/Kadakowa, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything will come of them.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
How much is From's value now that elden ring is a massive hit?, also, how much IP's are From's propety directly? (dark souls is Bamco property or From's?)

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yowza. If that ended up happening, hoo boy. Microsoft can make big acquisitions, but all of Sony's have hit directly at my heart lol.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony don't buy them, somebody else will.

Uh, who? Fromsoft is owned by a massive corporation with products that extend far outside video games.

Anyone who wants Fromsoft would either have to buy Kadokawa (not happening), or somehow hypnotized Kadokawa execs into selling Fromsoft.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony could afford to go after Kadokawa itself given its interest in dominating the anime market?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Unless From is getting shafted in their deals with Bamco, it's a weird move for Kadokawa. Maybe Kadokawa doesn't want to give From the budget to make their own games, and they can't get a decent return on Bamco contracts

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I can't see Sony dropping day 1 PC support, but I suppose it's possible. That'd be a ton of bad press for them.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Got this from Dr. Serkan Toto's tweet. He's a pretty reliable gaming analyst and insider in Japan.
He is not an insider. He's speaking about it being a target based on those various dumb rumors we've seen online. But at least now we'll get another fresh rounds of clickbait websites using his tweets as big insider news.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Feels like Bandai Namco is the more likely to buy From if anything lol.

But this is probably be the only way we're getting Bloodborne remaster / 2 :p

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Serkan Toto is analyst, I wouldn't club them as an insider

Rodelero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be bizarre if any games company on an acquisition binge (Microsoft, Sony, Embracer, Tencent) weren't trying to find a way of getting From Software.

They are completely unmatched in terms of being able to deliver consistent top quality games on relatively short development times.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wahoo, a new acquisition rumor thread! Seeing FromSoft acquired would be pretty sad. They're firing on all cylinders lately. Locking half (or a third, or whatever) the market out would be a bummer, considering they don't appear to be hurting for money.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
What is the reason Kadokawa would even sell? Unless Sony is paying some absurd price 5-10x worth there's no reason.

Kadokawa is steadily releasing games themselves, so they're in the gaming market, and From must be a huge revenue source for them. It'd just be weird for them to give From up without a proper reason.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
How much is From's value now that elden ring is a massive hit?, also, how much IP's are From's propety directly? (dark souls is Bamco property or From's?)

Sony owns Demon's Souls and Bloodborne
From owns Sekiro and Armored Core
Bamco owns Dark Souls and Elden Ring (but I think they can't make sequels without From)

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a terrible fit from a production perspective. I think FromSoft itself also values there somewhat independent nature under Kadokawa.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
If that means their games would become much better on the tech side because of that great 1st party support of Sony, then I would be okay with it. Games should still release for PC at least though, since that is a huge platform for their games.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
On the one hand, they'll probably get bigger budget under Sony (especially for their music department).
On the other hand, I would like PC and Xbox players to enjoy their games as well…

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
They just started getting mainstream recognition and a strong PC base, I can't imagine From agreeing to it unless it's like the Bungie deal.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I'm not really seeing a reason why Kadokawa would sell a company that is earning them so much right now. Sure, they could demand a ridiculous fee (one that Sony may even pay), but that's a one time sum. Is the golden egg better than the goose that lays them?

Granted, one dud game from From could also ruin them, so it removes the risk from Kadokawa. Still, I would think the price would be more than Sony could reasonably afford at this point, especially after Elden Ring's success.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
You mean there might be a future where I have to wait months for the games to come out on PC?
andre-the-giant-no.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.