• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is very, very surprising imo.

I guess they are definitely planning some kind of event for around that time though

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly watch E3 for Sony's presentation...

They should announce their own thing if E3's going to be skipped this year.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's their business but it does kind of suck for conference attendees; you get these big events where you can spend some money on travelling and hotels and hopefully see a wide variety of stuff, and the more companies that forgo that for "their own show" the less those big events make sense for the gamers. If 1 big show becomes a half dozen little shows nobody but media can really afford to take the time off to go to it all.

It's one thing to skip if you just don't have anything to show; that's just common sense. I think that's what MS did at PAX last year, as disappointing as it was.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
We sadly announce we are going to skip E3 forever in order to give our spot to Stadia.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully we'll hear about when the PS5 meeting will be.

As for E3, their absence was definitely felt last year. But it doesn't really matter to me if they have a presence at E3 or not; as long as they bring the goods at whatever other event(s) they do, I'm fine with that.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

I don't like how E3 every year pushes the publishers to announce game after game years before release and the developers to work extra hard for special E3 game demos.

I think for platform holders is a better idea if they have their own events.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Goodbye, E3.

Hopefully Nintendo still broadcasts a couple Treehouse steams in-house each year.
strangley nintendo seems to be the one that had the right idea before anyone else, go to e3 but scrap the awful live big presentation, they made it more about chatting with devs, including a day for indies and showing games/having fun. include a video to go out which they have full control over and can make edits to easily, then sprinkle news throughout the year with updates via nintendo directs....

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Damn this sucks. I absolutely love E3 and hope Sony goes there. E3 has been really good for sony this gen and I see it as a mistake to ditch it

Nov 11, 2017
It's their business but it does kind of suck for conference attendees; you get these big events where you can spend some money on travelling and hotels and hopefully see a wide variety of stuff, and the more companies that forgo that for "their own show" the less those big events make sense for the gamers. If 1 big show becomes a half dozen little shows nobody but media can really afford to take the time off to go to it all.

It's one thing to skip if you just don't have anything to show; that's just common sense. I think that's what MS did at PAX last year, as disappointing as it was.
Imagine a scenario where e3 dissolved and media/gamers would have to attend 100s of events, this would not only be expensive but also less impactful as far as outreach.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm totally on board with this, looking forward to seeing a big playstation exclusive event hopefully in February like its rumored.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
E3 conferences boil down to just a lot of pomp and circumstance for the big boys (and now whatever bizarre horror-show Devolver decides to do each year).
Sure, it can be great on the show floor with indies and smaller devs showing off their new games, but for the heavy hitters doing pre-shows it's a ton of work (months of prep), a ton of money, and a lot of... pardon the crudeness... dickwaving. Nintendo figured this out a long time ago.

By having their own dedicated event, it puts ALL eyes on them. They also don't have to try one-upping both the competition and themselves each year. They can completely control the style, the flow, and ease a lot of pressure off. They can dominate the news feed and not fight for headlines. Winning E3 is just nonsense that fans put weight into. It was clear that even Sony's E3 '18 show was just 70% needless theatrics, 25% 'gameplay updates' of games we already knew about, and 5% everything else. The whole spectacle looked ridiculously expensive, they sacrificed flow and convenience for creativity, and I can't even begin to imagine the logistical headache the whole thing was.

E3 is a train with a failing engine. Sony is simply getting off and paving their own path. It's a good, smart move.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fine with E3 going the way of the dodo. E3 feels like huge waste of time to watch with every year. Most of these conferences have fuck all to show.

About time we transition to individual shows, which some of those goober companies already do anyway.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why? They think they're too cool for E3 or some shit?

Why are people celebrating this?
I'm not sure why it's celebrated either. Like when the big three are there. I can understand from Sony's view but I don't understand how if benefits everyone else. That's why I'm surprised looking at the poll.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Fine with E3 going the way of the dodo. E3 feels like huge waste of time to watch with every year. Most of these conferences have fuck all to show.

About time we transition to individual shows.
And how exactly does an individual show solve the problems you listed (which I dont agree with anyways). They will still try to fill 1 to 1.5 hours worth of content.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
No idea. On a forum for hardcore "gamers", you would think more people would be saddened by the decline of essentially gamer Christmas. I know I'm super bummed.

It would be sad if E3 was any good. It has been pretty disappointing for quite some time. I'm all for Sony doing their own event.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
E3 really screwed the pooch with the fiasco that happened last year; not disappointed by Sony's decision. Had that not happened, I would think E3 is a better venue.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What's the benefit of the then having their own event instead of at e3?
I think it'd be more to say that they aren't ever returning to E3, so don't expect us to return next year either and this will be a 1 off show, not a yearly show. Because yeah outside of just running it themselves, I fail to see the point if they are just doing their own E3 elsewhere. Probably be a big inconvenience to 3rd parties/devs too, which E3 itself already is.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

About time we transition to individual shows.
It would be good, planning a show around when the games are ready to be shown instead of getting the games into a show off state for a 2 minute demo will always be better

PooWithEyes

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
If they do their own event around the same time I don't see why it matters

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It would be sad if E3 was any good. It has been pretty disappointing for quite some time. I'm all for Sony doing their own event.
I disagree. Not every E3 conference is a winner. But most are at least good. Some are amazing. And the coverage all week is fun.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Most of us don't attend on the floor so it makes no difference to us. At this point they can do what they want. Hopefully whatever they do isn't as terrible as the last time they were at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.