• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

would you rather sony be at E3 or holding their own PSX?

• E3

Votes: 1,060 45.4%
  • PSX

Votes: 1,274 54.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Waiting on that news like.
EMcPQ4eXUAAsWdJ

Still can't believe they nailed Sonic in the re-design.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean if they have their own event packed with stuff, then I am okay with this. I always enjoyed the hype around E3, but ultimately I just want to see footage of next gen games.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It would be a shame, because when I went to E3, I enjoyed having the big 3 in a same place, and try their demos and hardware. But I can see why Sony would skip it.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly can't blame them.

Beyond the (honestly borderline unforgivable) data breach, E3 feels like its more of a mess each year. Hearing that Bang and GFUEL had a bigger presence at E3 2019 than some major publishers makes me think they really lost the plot somewhere.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
It really is, you will still have a presence at an industry shows, but for your big shit renting a venue and streaming it got to be cheaper and a bigger return than E3. Hell MS just had an Surface event and owned the whole news cycle for a good time afterwards.
I think the last 4-5 years we had so many events and so few content on all of them.

It is better to have a more consolidate show.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
E3 last yar was so forgettable. I only remember the VII Remake presentation and BotW 2 announcement.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it still might be that Friday or Saturday before E3 proper, the same way those early PSX would sorta glom on to The Game Awards. Either way this is the right move. The Rise of PSX is going to be massive.

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
Why do consoles need such long lead times? Apple announces products like a month in advance.

Apple only does it for updates to existing devices. Entirely new devices are announced around 6 months in advance to avoid larger leaks. In the console space, new generations of devices are basically entirely new devices that you don't want to leak through FCC or production lines before announcing them. In the case of Apple for example, they basically don't have another choice these days then to begin production in July, to meet the demand, and risk leaks.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Should be a "both" option in the poll.

Still, if you have to "announce" that you won't be at an event, and after you weren't there last year no less, then surely that means said event must still be a big deal. Unless Sony is going to do an announcement for every event they aren't attending this year.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a waste if they don't even get booth space, really. Even Nintendo does it whenever they've been a no-show.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I sure hope that Sony simply does not announce that they are skipping E3, and not announce an alternate event for the PS5 reveal. I feel that the time for such announcement is now.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, it makes more and more sense to ditch E3. Even for Nintendo, I'd say.

If Sony has a dedicated PS5 event it will be just as exciting. It will have the grandstanding talk, the demos, etc.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well. Guess last year wasn't just a one off then. What they gonna do instead? They cant just have radio silence again...

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing is, a lot of us kind of hoped that they were skipping E3 last year because they didn't have anything to show.

So if they're skipping this year, when they have so much to talk about, it means they're just done with E3. And that's pretty sad.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As long as we get a PSX or something i'm okay with it. I'm not gonna lie, since about 2005 i've set my alarm for 2am every e3 except last year. I missed Sony's presence in general but i was happy not to get up at the same time.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
If you think of E3 purely as an event by the ESA, run for eh benefit as the ESA, then it doesn't mean too much really.

1 Platform holders can reach markets without the help of ESA now
2 Being held to ESAs timetable in terms of when they hold the event leaves less flexibility for doing your own thing. It certainly forces your hand somewhat during a product launch.
3 You need to to share the platform with a thousand other voices, with endless nonsense about "who won E3"
4 It might end up simply being cheaper to rent space outside of E3
5 You can do a non-audience format show e.g. a Direct
6. Sony can just as easily do an event on the same scale on a different day

That said, it can also come across as "We're bigger than the rest of the industry". You need us, we don't need you".

Ideally you do both your own events AND join in with E3 as a celebration of gaming.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Honestly, it makes more and more sense to ditch E3. Even for Nintendo, I'd say.

If Sony has a dedicated PS5 event it will be just as exciting. It will have the grandstanding talk, the demos, etc.
It's like Layden said. People have certain expectations when Sony has an event. Go with one event and go big, that should satiate people.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
If E3 is approaching its own demise, there is no one to blame beside the ESA.

Sad that I won't be able to attend one of the huge E3 with all of the hype, but then again for consumers I doubt it would be that great of an experience.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I feel like E3 is still a stage they should occupy even if it isn't a focus?

A lot of people still tune in right? Basically handing it over to MSoft for the next gen reveal year feels like just handing over a free pass to Microsoft for everyone doing E3 coverage instead of competing for mindspace or whatever.

Unless they do their reveal/blow out event that runs simultaneously with E3 lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.