• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I wouldn't expect people to a PS5 for a single player FF based on XIV being "one of" the biggest MMOs.

And FF may be one of the biggest JRPG properties, but it's not like the genre is exactly flourishing.

Well give me all the RPG IPs that sell at minimum 6M each entry. Because thats where FF is at for over 2 decades now.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well after the FFVII Remake PC port debacle I probably won't be buying their shit EGS exclusive PC versions, so no change for me. I do wish SE would make better PC ports, but I may as well wish for monkeys to fly out of my butt too.

Mau

Oct 25, 2017
"BuT iTs AlREadY oN PC!!?!"

Duh. It's clear Sony looking after the console space lmao

Joo

May 25, 2018
It's a bit of a hit or miss franchise. Having a bigger relationship with Square to secure new stuff outside of FF would be nice.
That's true, I didn't like XV at all and XII was also just ok. Still it feels like things are picking up. 7R is great, XIV is one of the best jRPGs/MMOs ever made and everything we know about XVI sounds very promising.

However, I just don't think this is good news if we look at the picture. How long until MS makes another big move and Sony has to retaliate? There goes another bunch of big third party games available on every platform. Of course it's not the only reason, but it kinda feels like Zenimax got the ball rolling and there's no stopping this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Has any Final Fantasy title ever managed to sell as much as Skyrim? I can understand this as a response to the MS Bethesda acquisition and PlayStation missing out on the next TES and Fallout, just not sure if Final Fantasy is enough to fill that gap. Maybe Sony could've bankrolled a first party open world RPG?

Virtually no games have sold as much as Skyrim.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'll trade all the FF games for Starfield, ES6, Avowed, Fable, whatever Inxile is working on, IO's game, and beyond this gen.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
doubt current sony is willing to drop that much on a japanese series, unless by "exclusive" they mean not on xbox.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel the exclusivity deal for FFXVI on PS5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I clicked on this thread hoping to see this. Thanks.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Has any Final Fantasy title ever managed to sell as much as Skyrim? I can understand this as a response to the MS Bethesda acquisition and PlayStation missing out on the next TES and Fallout, just not sure if Final Fantasy is enough to fill that gap. Maybe Sony could've bankrolled a first party open world RPG?

I mean, most games haven't sold as well as Skyrim. I highly doubt Sony see Square as filling that kind of gap.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
it kinda feels like Zenimax got the ball rolling and there's no stopping this.
I think the ball was already starting to roll, once you look at the big acquisations over the past few years. Zenimax was notable due to size and being first party.

It definitely lit a fire though and that's why you're going to keep seeing developers getting picked up.

Zynga to Take Two today is going to be normal business within the next few years.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The Final Fantasy games were once strongly associated with Nintendo, as Square Enix released the first six games in the series exclusively on the NES and Super Nintendo systems. However, things changed when Sony introduced the PS1, with Square Enix jumping ship to release Final Fantasy games exclusively on PlayStation up until Final Fantasy 11 was released on PC and Final Fantasy 13 launched for Xbox 360.

Didn't FF7 come to PC?
Yes.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad for the first time ever I own all 3 consoles so I don't ever have to worry about this bullshit of being left out

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
To stem the 50000 comments that weren't here for the first thread.

1. Console exclusivity, PC isn't in the same conversation, you can see how their PC ports are doing.
2. They didn't show the next PS5 title because Final Fantasy hasn't been shown yet, and was supposed to by this point.
3. (because folk on reddit had been guessing this) it's not Kingdom Hearts.

What do you mean ?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Yeah… Bethesda games being exclusive to Xbox is going to hurt. They need to do something… personally wish they'd fund a few original FPS/FPRPG games because PS5 is going to be seriously lacking at the end of the gen (no more Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls… Starfield etc).

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
This should be fun

Papa-Dragon.webp

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, if you bought an Xbox thinking it would be a good place to play Final Fantasy games then that's kinda on you. The writing has been on the wall for a while that Sony and Square are close and Square likes free money.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah… Bethesda games being exclusive to Xbox is going to hurt. They need to do something… personally wish they'd fund a few original FPS/FPRPG games because PS5 is going to be seriously lacking at the end of the gen (no more Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls… Starfield etc).

Bethesda games are still going to Steam on day 1. They will sell just fine.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"We don't want to make RPGs of our own but we'll pay a lot of money to make sure other people don't get these formerly multiplatform ones".

Why the fuck are RPG fans* being screwed over so badly by Sony and MS this generation? It sucks.

*console RPG fans

But I expect such deals to ramp up, not slow down. Everyone is in hyper-spending mode right now.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I'd rather see them put all that money into first party like making their own RPGs, but what do I know.

I don't think FF specifically moves the needle much. Maybe it gets some xbox-only people to buy a complimentary PS5, but it doesn't mean it makes them change primary platforms (which is where the money is). And I don't think this move prevents a PS-only user from buying an Xbox either. "Well I can't play the next Elder Scrolls or Starfield but at least I have FF16" said nobody. Neither is a replacement for the other.

So I guess I don't see the point of a generation-spanning moneyhat. 1 year? Sure... that's Sony bread and butter at this point. But permanent 3rd party exclusive makes no sense to me when they're not the publisher.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really like the news but it seems that way sadly. FF14 taking forever to release, SE locked in agreement with couple timed exclusives and still haven't gotten FF7R.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I wonder how much FF sells on Xbox anyways, I think the only FF game I ever played on Xbox was FFXIII-2.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be too expensive for Sony either. I recall third party japanese games like RE and FF sell lopsided on PS.

SE will continue the trend of taking handouts for various publishers / platform holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.