• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny how having enough stock is always seen as demand slowing down or low sales around here heh.
Its a system in its 5th years and the sales are steady, you wanna have some stock surplus before the Holiday season hits.

I mean, despite the fact that having enough stock is indeed a good thing, when other major markets have absurdly high demand such that stock is an issue for months/years and one region where that's not the case, I think it's fair to say that region has a bit lower demand than the others, no?

Lowering demand doesn't mean poor demand or bad numbers, just a slowdown compared to last year which is entirely expected and understandable. Especially in its 5th year as you say.

That doesn't mean they can't still take steps to try and boost that demand a bit.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, despite the fact that having enough stock is indeed a good thing, when other major markets have absurdly high demand such that stock is an issue for months/years and one region where that's not the case, I think it's fair to say that region has a bit lower demand than the others, no?

Lowering demand doesn't mean poor demand or bad numbers, just a slowdown compared to last year which is entirely expected and understandable. Especially in its 5th year as you say.

That doesn't mean they can't still take steps to try and boost that demand a bit.
You wrote that EU is the market where demand has slowed down the most when sale numbers we get doesnt really reflect that. By your standard as long as there no stock issues as in Japan or maybe US, it means the demand is slowing down which isnt really the best way to gauge demand.

They are releasing new games and a new hardware revision in the upcoming months, there are enough steps in plan to boost demand for the Holiday season - i dont think the MSRP price correction is gonna make or break the purchase decision for most potential customers since we would below MSRP retailer deals for Lite and OG during the Holiday season anyways.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You wrote that EU is the market where demand has slowed down the most when sale numbers we get doesnt really reflect that. By your standard as long as there no stock issues as in Japan or maybe US, it means the demand is slowing down which isnt really the best way to gauge demand.

They are releasing new games and a new hardware revision in the upcoming months, there are enough steps in plan to boost demand for the Holiday season - i dont think the MSRP price correction is gonna make or break the purchase decision for most potential customers since we would below MSRP retailer deals for Lite and OG during the Holiday season anyways.

Yeah like I acknowledged, the idea that this was meant as a price correction to make way for the OLED model's price makes a lot more sense. Still, I don't think it's controversial to claim demand has likely slowed more in Europe yoy than it has in Japan or the US. What data we have from Europe does support that.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Cutting the price of the OG console right before selling the already more expensive OLED version?

What f'n dumb decision is that? 😂

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's probably just get rid of the current/remaining OG stock.

Yeah, I get that, but they still could have waited till Christmas. One good reason to buy the OLED version instead of the normal one was that it's not that much more expensive and of course for just a few bucks more you much rather have the better model.
And even as someone who had one already, it just felt better to know that the Switch in general is at that price point when you want to spend that money again.

And then you have people who want to sell the normal one after buying the OLED version, which now get less money for it so they either accept that, or just decide to not buy the OLED version at all.

It's a bad decision.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
xbox did the same. It's a weird post.

I explained it now in a second posting.

It also didn't matter that much with the other examples because the Pro and the X were better consoles, the OLED is not a Switch Pro and therefore already just a "nice to have" product people now think twice about if they really choose that or the cheaper one.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I get that, but they still could have waited till Christmas. One good reason to buy the OLED version instead of the normal one was that it's not that much more expensive and of course for just a few bucks more you much rather have the better model.
And even as someone who had one already, it just felt better to know that the Switch in general is at that price point when you want to spend that money again.

And then you have people who want to sell the normal one after buying the OLED version, which now get less money for it so they either accept that, or just decide to not buy the OLED version at all.

It's a bad decision.
without any of the data they have including stock, it's impossible to say if it's a bad decision. if all of the LCD stock runs out before holiday, that's a damn good move as it only leaves new models

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gonna say that armchair analysts on era aren't possibly the most knowledgeable about what exactly is a bad commercial decision

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Their sales numbers say otherwise
Idgaf about the sales numbers. The hardware hasn't been worth the RRP for two years imo.

It's great if you care about massive corporations making more money than they should be but I certainly don't. It should've been 250 from like 2019, 2020 latest.
But they used the demand during the pandemic to just keep it going. We're ready to have discussions about retro collectors squeezing what they could outta covid but when it's Nintendo we ain't, I see. ;)

Oct 26, 2017
Idgaf about the sales numbers. The hardware hasn't been worth the RRP for two years imo.

It's great if you care about massive corporations making more money than they should be but I certainly don't. It should've been 250 from like 2019, 2020 latest.
But they used the demand during the pandemic to just keep it going. We're ready to have discussions about retro collectors squeezing what they could outta covid but when it's Nintendo we ain't, I see. ;)

???

This post is so emotional jeez. It's one thing if you thought that the Switch wasn't worth the retail price (after all value is in the eye of the buyer). It's another thing to act entitled and expect a price cut based on your own value when you should know that just because you value a product at x, doesn't mean that other people or corporations hold the same value assessment.

This isn't about caring that a corporation makes money. This is exactly how supply and demand works. If your product sees a ton of demand, then why the hell would you ever suggest a price cut? Likewise, if you see a lot of supply, but no demand, you see price cuts often.

Apply some critical thinking instead of being so entitled.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
I have the oled switch preordered on amazon (never got round to buying one). If there is a decent price cut I'll cancel and pick up the grey one instead, only went for the oled as it wasn't much more. Seems like a strange move from Nintendo but I won't complain if they want to save me some money.

I can't believe my situation is uncommon.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Just sold my version 2 Switch on eBay for $260 since I have the OLED on pre-order. GOTTEM.

To be fair I also included a 128gb microSD.

Oct 26, 2017
Saw online that thr Nintendo UK Store has also dropped there price of OG Switch to £259 so the price drops begin worldwide it seems
UK is still part of Europe despite what some people want.
I wonder if Europe is only going to get a small allocation of OLED (alluded to in those Vandal rumours in May that described the new kickstand etc.), while for the rest of the world they mostly replace the old model this coming quarter. That might explain it if it's the case that only Europe gets the cut.
It wouldn't be the first time they've done different strategies in different parts of the world.

But really the new UK price is ~84% of the OLED price, whilst the current US price is ~86% of the OLED. So there is very little in it after the correction.
$300+20% VAT is currently equal to £260.

Last edited:

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
we managed to confirm this in Spain, it's indeed happening on Monday:

www.gamereactor.es

REBAJA PERMANENTE de Nintendo Switch desde HOY: cómprala por 299 euros

Nintendo rebaja el precio oficial de Switch en toda Europa. Nintendo Switch más barata, a unos 270 euros en Francia y menos de 300 en España.

It will probably be closer to 299 than to the rumoured/leaked 270-280 range, though.

It's happening already on major retailers, and as reported in Spain they're going for 299 mostly.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Price on Amazon Germany dropped to 299€. Well that was underwhelming.

Switch lite is is then. I can get the turquoise one for just 179€.

Or maybe I wait for Black Friday to see how low the standard Switch can go. Would need to wait for my Metroid fix though.

Last edited:

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
That's underwhelming......I'll continue to do what I always do when family and friends want a switch or switch lite......buy it in America when I do my yearly trips to visit my in laws. Nintendo still seem to outright do the $ = £/€ thing for consoles, at least on amazon so I can get a switch for just over £217 and a switch lite for just over £144 that way. Even picking up a UK charger for it after still holds far cheaper.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Seems a price alignment between $ and € so that the OLED price (349€) has a bigger buffer with the OG price (now 299€)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Price on Amazon Germany dropped to 299€. Well that was underwhelming.

Switch lite is is then. I can get the turquoise one for just 179€.

Or maybe I wait for Black Friday to see how low the standard Switch can go. Would need to wait for my Metroid fix though.
I don't think it's going to go lower than those 179€, considering the mrsp of 229€ (at least in Spain).
And Metroid is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.