• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Well, in Greece the official price was 349 € and today is at 319 €.

241661715_4459180364139693_4010265033891293755_n.jpg

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Loool
They expect to clear stock like that?

Haha!! It is possible because the official price of Switch OLED in greece is 380 euros.

www.mediamarkt.gr

Public: #1 για online αγορές για προϊόντα τεχνολογίας και ψυχαγωγίας

Το Public είναι ο #1 προορισμός για προϊόντα τεχνολογίας και ψυχαγωγίας με χιλιάδες προϊόντα για κάθε μέλος της οικογένειας

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
That's underwhelming......I'll continue to do what I always do when family and friends want a switch or switch lite......buy it in America when I do my yearly trips to visit my in laws. Nintendo still seem to outright do the $ = £/€ thing for consoles, at least on amazon so I can get a switch for just over £217 and a switch lite for just over £144 that way. Even picking up a UK charger for it after still holds far cheaper.
I'm assuming those savings are only if you're there, and not for example ordering from Amazon.com and the items being posted here? Cos I think we have to pay import tax up front.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Well that £20 off is 90% of the way towards buying Hades. Potential buyers, you know what to do.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Accusations of Shilling; Prior Bans for Hostility
???

This post is so emotional jeez. It's one thing if you thought that the Switch wasn't worth the retail price (after all value is in the eye of the buyer). It's another thing to act entitled and expect a price cut based on your own value when you should know that just because you value a product at x, doesn't mean that other people or corporations hold the same value assessment.

This isn't about caring that a corporation makes money. This is exactly how supply and demand works. If your product sees a ton of demand, then why the hell would you ever suggest a price cut? Likewise, if you see a lot of supply, but no demand, you see price cuts often.

Apply some critical thinking instead of being so entitled.
Or you could be less of a capitalist shill :)

Just because they can do something doesn't mean they should.

If less people were like you and actually were honest about the value of the system they would listen.

Of course companies need to make money. But where do we draw the line? In my opinion it was two years ago. Believe what you want to believe but don't condescend when I'm observing it from an arguably more critical POV than you are. This hardware should have had a price drop ages ago. They are only now doing it to get rid of stock (at the price it should've been for two years but they chose to milk everyone instead).

"Rolling with the status quo" is why we are in the mess we're in today. All people care about is supply and demand with no regard for anything else. This is obviously just an example in isolation. There are far worse things when one extrapolates further.
I'm just saying this thinking is part of the problem.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

If less people were like you and actually were honest about the value of the system they would listen.

Of course companies need to make money. But where do we draw the line? In my opinion it was two years ago. Believe what you want to believe but don't condescend when I'm observing it from an arguably more critical POV than you are. This hardware should have had a price drop ages ago. They are only now doing it to get rid of stock (at the price it should've been for two years but they chose to milk everyone instead).

"Rolling with the status quo" is why we are in the mess we're in today. All people care about is supply and demand with no regard for anything else. This is obviously just an example in isolation. There are far worse things when one extrapolates further.
The problem is that you talk about the "value of the system" and "honesty" as if there were an objectively acceptable price.

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of clever pricing really, puts the official price £60 above the lite, meaning a slightly smaller jump for those who aren't sure which one to go for, and the same with the £50 between the og and the oled.

kaybee

Mar 4, 2021

dude honestly if you care that much about these arguments you shouldn't be wasting money on stuff you definitely don't need in the first place

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like I acknowledged, the idea that this was meant as a price correction to make way for the OLED model's price makes a lot more sense. Still, I don't think it's controversial to claim demand has likely slowed more in Europe yoy than it has in Japan or the US. What data we have from Europe does support that.
As said in my initial post - based on what data ? Maybe I'm missing something and if you can provide that data I'm happy to change my stance but i haven't experienced the demand for Switch slowing down during this year in the mayor EU markets. HW sales been very consistent.
This is indeed a price correction to reflect the exchange rate differences from 2017 to 2021. In March 2017, 300$ before taxes was equal to 285€. Now it's equal to 254€, so they've adjusted by cutting 30€ from it.
Yeah, this made the most sense from the start.

Espio

Nov 9, 2017
Confirmation and statement from Nintendo here:

Nintendo confirms a Switch price cut is now rolling out in Europe | VGC

"Nintendo of Europe is changing the European trade price of the Nintendo Switch console to retailers," it confirmed.

"More than four and a half years after its first release, Nintendo Switch continues to have strong sales momentum in Europe. After carefully weighing up a variety of factors, including currency exchange rates in Europe and the upcoming launch of Nintendo Switch – OLED Model, we decided that now was the appropriate time to change the European trade price of Nintendo Switch.

"The trade prices of Nintendo Switch Lite and the upcoming Nintendo Switch – OLED Model are not affected. The final price to consumers is determined by retailers. As a guide, we recommend that consumers check with local retailers to find out their prices."

It added: "We made the price change before the launch of Nintendo Switch – OLED Model so that the price differences between each model in Nintendo's own retail channel, My Nintendo Store, would be what Nintendo judges to be appropriate for its own store."

Status
Not open for further replies.