• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Source is a very reliable deal twitter account with proven retail sources. A pricecut of the Switch will be officially announced Monday, cutting it from 329€ in France to around 270€.
A pricecut this big is unlikely to be tied exclusively to a single region, as it would price it significantly below every other territory, so it's likely going to be worldwide. This would amount to about 50-60€, meaning the Switch could be sold at 250$ starting next week.

This only concerns the OG Switch. Lite is reportedly staying at its current price.

EDIT: now official. It's an Europe only price correction to take into account the exchange rate difference from 2017 to now. New RRP is 299€/£259.

Last edited:

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Nintendo:

300px-I_Am_Never_Gonna_Financially_Recover_From_This.jpg
:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting...

My first Switch will be the OLED, coming in Oct.

I still dont think a price cut on the OG would have swayed me.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Are they clearing stock of this model or do they intend to keep it as a cheaper alternative to the OLED?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So would that be from $300 to $250 USD?

Seems like a move meant to make way for a price cut to the OLED model next year down to $300. Then they can offer the Switchfourk at anywhere between $350 and $400.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to see if Walmart discounts my OLED preorder for 50 more 🤞

Oct 28, 2017
Damn I might need to buy a newer model then. I was going to wait for the OLED but for $100 less I will take the one that is still an upgrade over my launch model.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
If true, this sounds like a holiday stock-clearing move to either make the OLED the new default model, or to make way for another new premium SKU.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
just old Switch? hoping to clear out stock then i assume to just have OLED and Lite in the future as the options.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Because they're clearing stock to set the OLED model as the new standard for $300 at the same moment they release the Pro for $350-400? Right? Right!?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Fits with the idea of clearing out the old model and slotting in OLED at 300 eventually.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question but why? Arent they still sold out everywhere? Why cut price when you cant keep them on shelves anyways?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It would be very strange if this was not accompanied by a discount also from Switch Lite.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Genuine question but why? Arent they still sold out everywhere? Why cut price when you cant keep them on shelves anyways?

If they cut the price of the "base" model, it's going to be a for a business reason.
Likely a decline in sales. Or to stay competitive vs other things.

Because they want the OLED model to replace the standard Switch.

Except if you belive the rumour, OLED will have no price decrease. It will remain as expensive as it is.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they cut the price of the "base" model, it's going to be a for a business reason.
Likely a decline in sales. Or to stay competitive vs other things.

Except if you belive the rumour, OLED will have no price decrease. It will remain as expensive as it is.

They are most likely cutting the price to clear stock before the OLED arrives.
Retailer's room and inventory is limited, they can't sell three models at the same time for long.

The fact that Lite seems to keep its price is further indication that they are just doing this to clear out stock. To keep only OLED and Lite on shelves.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
They are most likely cutting the price to clear stock before the OLED arrives.
Retailer's room and inventory is limited, they can't sell three models at the same time for long.

The fact that Lite seems to keep its price is further indication that they are just doing this to clear out stock. To keep only OLED and Lite on shelves.

Also a good point. They could be narrowing down to just the 2 versions

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
We sure this is to clear stock? The OLED model is more expensive than the current model already, so it doesn't really make sense as a replacement for the base model.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is about the price I paid at launch but videogame prices can be ridiculously cheap in France lol

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
My guess is that they want to clear stock & once the base model is out of the picture they'll just drop the oled to original $300 price
I had been thinking they might do this exact thing. Then hopefully they would have basically phased the OG out for OLED by the time they role out the next model which they could launch at 400 or something if it is a big step up.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This feels like something being done to clear stock.
I don't expect the OG (even though it's not really the OG) model to be around much longer. Maybe another year at most.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We sure this is to clear stock? The OLED model is more expensive than the current model already, so it doesn't really make sense as a replacement for the base model.

People who wanted a regular Switch have had five years to get one, and are given the opportunity to get one at even cheaper for the next few months. Anyone who still didn't get one is clearly not someone who was ever going to get that model, so it does make sense to eliminate it, and leaving room to two more recent models to potentially get a different audience.

Yeah but Nintendalerts is talking about the price most retailers will sell it too, hence a 300€ ---> 270€ drop

I don't think he does. He even says it doesn't come from retailers, but from an official source. A lot of people still sell the Switch at 329 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.