• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
A recent 4chan thread contained a post with this pic and video showing Mallow from Super Mario RPG and Cacodemon from Doom as Mii fighter hats:

uwcipHP.png

In addition, this post from wildvine47 in the Smash thread lends some credence to this being real:

As someone in the Ultimate modding community, this personally has me convinced.

The big thing about it is just how differently Mii stuff works in Ultimate vs. Smash 4. In Smash 4, Mii outfits directly scaled with the size of the Mii in question, which was a quick and easy way to make sure they all looked decent. However, this wasn't obviously the best solution, as it meant that a lot of Mii costume parts would clip into each other pretty badly and not look great as a result.

In Ultimate, they changed that. There's now a specific sizing algorithm for each individual Mii piece in order to prevent that issue from occurring again, at least as frequently. That algorithm is hard-coded into the Mii characters themselves, meaning that in order to find it, you'd have to dig through the entirety of each Mii's code to even get started on Mii costume mods. And in the video, the hats are on two different Mii types, meaning they'd have to do that whole process twice.

In addition to that, there's a notorious filesize problem that's severely limited Ultimate modding so far. If a modded file is bigger than the base file it's replacing, the game will crash upon trying to load that file. So if you have a 2 megabyte file and replace it with a 2.1 megabyte file, the game crashes. This is notable because, without the specific tools Sakurai and co. use to compress these files, modders have a very hard time shrinking their high-quality mods down under that limit. That in of itself is why Ultimate modding is so slow. Now, consider the fact that Mii costume files are tiny compared to actual fighter files, and it gives serious credence to these high-quality modeled hats. If they're mods, they're not only better modeled than any Smash 4 Mii costume, they're also several leagues smaller in terms of filesize in order for them to even be able to work in Ultimate.

So yeah, I'm #teamreal on this one.

Are you #TeamReal or #TeamFake? What does this mean for Geno and Doomguy? Let the speculation commence!

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Geno is literally the only character left for me in Smash, it would be the last big reveal aside from someone like Professor Layton.

Or Shrek.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
RIP AND TEAR!

Would love if they added BFG Division or At Doom's Gate.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alena was robbed if #TeamReal happens.

But I would be happy with the Doom Slayer hell yeaaaaah

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Let's remind people that this does not necessarily mean Geno or Doomguy as playable characters.

It puts a Bethesda character (not necessarily Doomguy) up there in chance, but Toby Fox was a copyright that was added without a character

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Inb4 it turns out it's just we're getting a doom guy mii costume with his theme

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Let's remind people that this does not necessarily mean Geno or Doomguy as playable characters.

It puts a Bethesda character up there in chance, but Toby Fox was a copyright that was added without a character

Given that this is leaking so close to Terry's release, I wouldn't be surprised if the Geno costume returns and a Doomguy outfit appears alongside these two.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
"rumor" and "leak" in the same sentence doesn't really works since those two words doesn't mean the same thing at all.
It's either a rumor or a leak, not both at the same time.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wait..doesn't a character from a franchise showing up as a Mii fighter disconfirm that franchise into getting into the main game? I know there are some 'rules' about that.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the only real image leak Ultimate had up to release also featured Ken taunting, and was also stopped at the same time (2:30). Could still be fake, but it's worth noting.

ken-leak-super-smash-bros-ultimate-screenshot.jpg

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

It puts a Bethesda character (not necessarily Doomguy) up there in chance, but Toby Fox was a copyright that was added without a character
Bethesda is a different story to toby fox. I just don't see them just adding a random doom mii hat with no bethesda presense otherwise.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Before people start comparing this to the Grinch leak, that leak had a blurry picture while this one has a video.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Wait..doesn't a character from a franchise showing up as a Mii fighter disconfirm that franchise into getting into the main game? I know there are some 'rules' about that.
It's if the character themselves is added as a Mii Outfit, not if someone from their franchise gets added as a Mii Costume.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda is a different story to toby fox. I just don't see them just adding a rabdom doom mii hat with no bethesda presense otherwise.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but we got a random Rayman spirit with no Ubisoft presence otherwise, so I don't necessarily think that matters. Bethesda is a non-factor in Japan, so it's possible that Sakurai wanted to throw a bone to American Doom fans without fully committing to a playable character.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Doom Guy would make it, he would be an amazing fit. Doom has a great history with Nintendo and the series is of course one of the most important in the gaming history in general.

Geno on the other hand would be kind of boring. There is nothing really special about him, expect that there is a vocal minority, who likes him.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong, but we got a random Rayman spirit with no Ubisoft presence otherwise, so I don't necessarily think that matters. Bethesda is a non-factor in Japan, so it's possible that Sakurai wanted to throw a bone to American Doom fans without fully committing to a playable character.
I can't say that's impossible either. I guess they could have made made this costume before knowing the eternal delay and it was timed with that. I still just think it's weird, unless there is also a slayer costume too.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doomslayer for Smash

Doom is one of the few big gaming IPs left that haven't been represented in some fashion yet.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if this was both a troll/real leak, like botH doomguy and geno are also a mii costumes

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If Doom Guy would make it, he would be an amazing fit. Doom has a great history with Nintendo and the series is of course one of the most important in the gaming history in general.

Geno on the other hand would be kind of boring. There is nothing really special about him, expect that there is a vocal minority, who likes him.
I'd prefer geno to ryu at least. Talk about boring.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's most likely true, but I'm holding on to team fake, it's just too on the nose for me to fully buy into it.

If it is real, I'm leaning towards both being limited to mii fighter outfits and not linked to any future dlc characters

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Yeah..Doom guy, while a western studio and at first a PC mainstay, has a LONG history with Nintendo, unlike Master Chief.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know it's most likely true, but I'm holding on to team fake, it's just too on the nose for me to fully buy into it.

If it is real, I'm leaning towards both being limited to mii fighter outfits and not linked to any future dlc characters

Would be kind of random to have a random Doom series mii fighter costume. If it was a doom guy costume, then I think you would be onto something.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Damn...RIP Doomslayer

Mii costume is still nice though

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if Geno gets in then i demand a rep for Europe. Japan got one, South America got one and that would be the one for North America.

I'd suggest Cristiano Ronaldo.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I expect Doomguy to be the last character of the season pass while Geno is the first of the characters that releases post Season Pass