• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it could be real though I don't think it's impossible to fake - a lot of the elements behind this (Ken, 2:30 timer) just seem like they're too overt in piggybacking off of the old leak. Also, Mii Costume parts being hard to mod in doesn't preclude the fact that they could just mod the base Mii model.

50/50 on this, leaning skepticism for my own well being. People who make Smash hoaxes are nutso (in an impressive way). That being said I think this would mean more for Doomguy's chances than it would Geno's; Geno was already a costume in the last game so I can see him getting a similar, albeit more "Sans" level premium treatment here, whereas negotiating a brand new third party for costume DLC seems kinda odd.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
It seems we're looking at a Smash DLC with zero First-Party characters.

I don't know if it's good or bad, because the chances of a Fire Emblem character coming from a First-Party slot are too high for someone which wants a Zelda rep like me.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Let's remind people that this does not necessarily mean Geno or Doomguy as playable characters.

It puts a Bethesda character (not necessarily Doomguy) up there in chance, but Toby Fox was a copyright that was added without a character
Lol they're not adding a fucking Cacodemon outfit without Doom Slayer. Zero chance.

Eh, I don't know what to think here. Even if Doom Slayer is coming, Cacodemon as a costume would be weird lol.
Are there Mii costume mods? Is that possible?

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
While I'd be happy for Geno & Doom Slayer fans if this is real, I'd be disappointed if we got yet more guys with no characters who are primarily women (I.E. not the secondary part of a duo like Kazooie or a female alternate costume who isn't the default) in sight.

Yup.. if those are the five dlc chars .. too much bro.

I'm still hoping for jaina or Lara or jade maybe

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
If we ignore Tetrimino as a character...

Yeah, Doomguy is both the fps face and the PC mascot
Terry getting a spot makes me a little more confident in Doomslayer getting in.

Terry is clearly intended as an SNK / NeoGeo rep, which shows that a character's context in gaming history matters. They clearly want Ultimate to be comprehensive in this regard. FPS / PC is lacking, and Doomslayer is the perfect way to remedy that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That's a lot more then Geno has. Let's not forget, those DLC-characters need to push people to buy them, if people don't know the character, then it's bad business. In the base game Geno would have much better chances, similar to Ridley and King K. Roll.
With Terry being DLC, any character can be DLC. Terry was in no way a heavily requested or known character and I like the character and couldn't give 2 fucks about Geno

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Lol at people saying Hayabusa, thats never gonna happen
Because obviously we're getting Kasumi instead
Terry getting a spot makes me a little more confident in Doomslayer getting in.

Terry is clearly intended as an SNK / NeoGeo rep, which shows that a character's context in gaming history matters. They clearly want Ultimate to be comprehensive in this regard. FPS / PC is lacking, and Doomslayer is the perfect way to remedy that.
I don't know I feel the really obvious absence is no Koei Tecmo character as they've been a major third party and Nintendo supporter since the nes days

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mallow :( why does everybody want Geno in over my guy.

I'm convinced at this point Geno is just a meme pick and most people asking for him haven't even played Mario RPG.

Really hope doomguy doesn't get in, I don't think his games are very good and as a character he's crap.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For people saying it's impossible to mod the costumes. The only new elements of this leak are the Hats so it's not impossible but it's been said to be difficult but considering how there's been at least a couple of weeks that a rumor claiming a Mallow Mii Costume was in and Doom being heavily speculated in general it's still not impossible

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is so exciting.

A Cacodemon costume without Doom Slayer being playable just doesn't make any sense. They wouldn't collaborate with Bethesda just for that, this is nothing like the Sans situation.

Likewise, if they were just going to make a Mallow Mii hat and then bring Geno's costume back alongside it, why didn't they just do so alongside Hero? And yet we've still seen nothing of Geno's costume even after all this time....

If this is real (and I think it might be) then Geno and Doom Slayer are 100% happening.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is so exciting.

A Cacodemon costume without Doom Slayer being playable just doesn't make any sense. They wouldn't collaborate with Bethesda just for that, this is nothing like the Sans situation.

Likewise, if they were just going to make a Mallow Mii hat and then bring Geno's costume back alongside it, why didn't they just do so alongside Hero? And yet we've still seen nothing of Geno's costume even after all this time....

If this is real (and I think it might be) then Geno and Doom Slayer are 100% happening.
Leak is real but Cacaodemon Hat comes with Doomslayer Mii costume and Doom 2016 theme and Mallow Hat comes with Geno Mii Costume which is a bonus on Fighter Pass 2.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the Banjo reveal thread mentioned about how they could include the Doom Guy in the aftermath of the Ridley trailer. It ends... kinda weird with Zero Suit Samus heading a kick toward Ridley and the screen goes fades white.

Honestly it would be dope with or without Metroid crossover lol
Either that or they do a reversal of the ridley trailer. Ridley with bowser and ganondorf are walking on the bridge or something. Then in silhouettes doomguy punches through bowser and chainsaws ganondorf. Then in slowmo pops up with rip and tear playing with ridley looking terrified.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Doomguy would be cool although I would have preferred Master Chief.

Next fighters pass should be all female since this one is such a sausage fest.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Bethesda is a different story to toby fox. I just don't see them just adding a random doom mii hat with no bethesda presense otherwise.
Lol they're not adding a fucking Cacodemon outfit without Doom Slayer. Zero chance.

Eh, I don't know what to think here. Even if Doom Slayer is coming, Cacodemon as a costume would be weird lol.
Are there Mii costume mods? Is that possible?

I absolutely think Doomguy is a lock, but for the OP it is better to show that a developer being introduced to the copyright of the game with just a mii costume has precedent

With Terry being DLC, any character can be DLC. Terry was in no way a heavily requested or known character and I like the character and couldn't give 2 fucks about Geno

wut

Just because you don't know the character does not mean Terry is unknown. He appeared in more fighting games than Ryu and Scorpion

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Leak is real but Cacaodemon Hat comes with Doomslayer Mii costume and Doom 2016 theme and Mallow Hat comes with Geno Mii Costume which is a bonus on Fighter Pass 2.
Why would Nintendo/Sakurai partner with Bethesda just to make Mii Costumes? That makes zero sense.

And Geno already had a Mii Costume, but it's nowhere to be seen in Ultimate. Why would they hold it back for so long just to include a Mallow hat alongside it? That also makes zero sense.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Nintendo/Sakurai partner with Bethesda just to make Mii Costumes? That makes zero sense.

And Geno already had a Mii Costume, but it's nowhere to be seen in Ultimate. Why would they hold it back for so long just to include a Mallow hat alongside it? That also makes zero sense.

Rayman just got trophies/spirits.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe Sakurai recognized the demand for Doom but didn't feel it necessary to put the character in or felt like he didn't Smash's vision and asked for the likeness for the Mii Costume and a song.

Also they probably retooled Geno to make him look more like the character compared to S4's abomination.

Even with all that said I was just joking I could see this leading to the characters being in though I believe this bodes much better for Doom than Geno

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I absolutely think Doomguy is a lock, but for the OP it is better to show that a developer being introduced to the copyright of the game with just a mii costume has precedent

wut

Just because you don't know the character does not mean Terry is unknown. He appeared in more fighting games than Ryu and Scorpion

I know the character very well thank you very much, I played many hours of CvS2 on Gamecube when I was younger. I still have that copy in mint condition in fact.
I was referring to the general Smash fanbase, he wasn't a highly requested or known character before that leak.

It's more something to do with the age of the fanbase. It skews younger. I feel like Simon wasn't hugely known either before he was leaked, although still more than Terry

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Geno and Doom Guy get in, this means there would be no female character out of the DLC characters yet.

I was a fool thinking the second season pass would be 100% female characters..

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Man I hope Doomguy is in, would be a really fun character. Also the first first-person shooter rep in Smash Bros?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, after all of my comments on the Grinch leak the last thing I wanna do is jump and call this one real like some beaten desperate puppy. On the other hand, in-match anything, let alone video, hasn't had a great track record of being faked convincingly, and the one shot last year of Ken actually wound up being legitimate, all of which speaks in its favor.

Absolute worst case these are mods, which given the OP would be huge progress for Smash Ultimate modding, so I'll take it as a good win either way.

Assuming it's real, Doom Guy I'd say is about 100% confirmed, maybe slightly less. I just can't see why they'd throw any of the demons a hat without the main man being playable. Geno meanwhile is around 70%; there's a sizable chance he's a Mii costume with some music like Sans, though it is weird there'd be multiple Mario RPG costumes in that sense. More importantly, I'd see Doomguy being #5 with a likely reveal at VGA, while I'd see Geno as #6 and as a likely rep of a season 2.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I know the character very well thank you very much, I played many hours of CvS2 on Gamecube when I was younger. I still have that copy in mint condition in fact.
I was referring to the general Smash fanbase, he wasn't a highly requested or known character before that leak.

It's more something to do with the age of the fanbase. It skews younger. I feel like Simon wasn't hugely known either before he was leaked, although still more than Terry

The game is FULL of characters half of the people who bought the game probably think were created for smash.... Captain Falcon, Game & Watch, ROB, Ice Climbers, Lucas ....

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My gut's tellin' me we're looking at the real deal. Those are some damn nice models.

Still, after the Grinch leak, I refuse to believe. I'm remaining skeptical until it's right in my face.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, though to be fair, some mii costumes make it into the game without their associated game being in the actual game. This means nothing in terms of confirmed characters, but it bodes well at least. I don't care if Geno makes it in or not, but I would be happy for his fans. Doom Slayer making it in would be freaking absurd, but welcome.

If it's real that is.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The game is FULL of characters half of the people who bought the game probably think were created for smash.... Captain Falcon, Game & Watch, ROB, Ice Climbers, Lucas ....
I mean I know this.

The original post I was responding to was talking about how DLC characters needed to be more well known to push people to buy them, which I would've agreed with before Terry was revealed.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember an old rumor about Geno being in, finally after all those years after Sakurai said he wanted to out him in.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean I know this.

The original post I was responding to was talking about how DLC characters needed to be more well known to push people to buy them, which I would've agreed with before Terry was revealed.

If anything, some characters being famous in circles outside of smash fanbase can bring people into smash fanbase