• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elfstruck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony have something saved for the PS5. So many good games died on the PS3 because the world had moved on. Having this game not be a launch game for the new console seems like a mistake to me.
PS5 doesnt need TLOU to move units. And expect TLOU fans to wait possibly 7-8 mo for PS5 version is insane.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
There's this really weird assumption that because Sony hasn't announced their PS5 titles, they must not have any.

"I hope Sony has something saved for the PS5!" Trust me, they do.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I've been all digital this gen. The only physical game I have this gen is the TLOU Remastered steelbook. I'll probably get a fancy edition for this too.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Sony wont want exclusives next Fall because it'll be stacked with 3rd party titles.

They'll have a brand new Assassin's creed with a year gap, Black ops 5, a brand new Bethesda rpg (Starfield), a brand new Rocksteady game Arkham World or Shadows of Mordor 3, another new Star Wars game, and that's just 3rd party.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
tenor.gif

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Early 2020 is fucking crazy

• TLOU2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • FF7R
  • Animal Crossing
  • Watch_Dogs Legion
  • Ori
  • Bloodlines 2
  • Avengers
I mean three of those are already GOTG candidates straight up, 2017 really doesn't compete.
Not bad for me as so many scream crossgen and I can wait for the PS5 versions.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
February is good, I can't think of another big title coming that month.

When will we get confirmation? I'm interested in this Ellie Edition.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Each version offers a unique ending. Collect all 4 to see the whole story!
They are being more like Nintendo and going the Pokemon route. TLoU 2: Ellie and TLoU 2: Joel, pick whose story you want to play, both editions have special editions which is just a 42 hour long video of Druckmann death staring the camera.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I really hope Sony have something saved for the PS5. So many good games died on the PS3 because the world had moved on. Having this game not be a launch game for the new console seems like a mistake to me.
I don't completely disagree: I think the last year of PlayStation 3 was a mistake and I'm sad Sony will do something quiet similar with PlayStation 4. But I don't think launching a cross-gen game with PlayStation 5 would change that, and they can't transform The Last of Us Part II in a PlayStation 5 exclusive.

So I think they're right about that, but The Last of Us Part II should have been the last PlayStation 4 game published by Sony. Ghost of Tsushima and Predator: Hunting Grounds should have been PlayStation 5 exclusives (and never announced on PlayStation 4).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
There is just no way that some of those don't move around. Such a stacked period.

I think Watch Dogs: Legion is for sure going to get bumped back a bit. Like, releasing the same day as FFVII isn't great, but it's also just one week after Ubi's other big Q1 game, which makes no sense to me.

That's the only one I think for sure is going to get bumped, though.
Sony wont want exclusives next Fall because it'll be stacked with 3rd party titles.

They'll have a brand new Assassin's creed with a year gap, Black ops 5, a brand new Bethesda rpg (Starfield), a brand new Rocksteady game Arkham World or Shadows of Mordor 3, another new Star Wars game, and that's just 3rd party.

I honestly don't think Starfield is going to be a 2020 title. If it's next-gen only, I think they're going to aim for 2021.

Bethesda has Ghostwire: Tokyo and Deathloop to keep people busy until then.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
I don't completely disagree: I think the last year of PlayStation 3 was a mistake and I'm sad Sony will do something quiet similar with PlayStation 4. But I don't think launching a cross-gen game with PlayStation 5 would change that, and they can't transform The Last of Us Part II in a PlayStation 5 exclusive.

So I think they're right about that, but The Last of Us Part II should have been the last PlayStation 4 game published by Sony. Ghost of Tsushima and Predator: Hunting Grounds should have been PlayStation 5 exclusives (and never announced on PlayStation 4).

Yeah I guess it was silly of me to worry for TLOU but some games like GT6 and Puppeter did get ignored because of the PS4. They would've been amazing as launch titles.

Anyway didn't mean to derail the thread - I'm super excited for the game and it will be a great swansong for the console.

Clarification and details on content

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
found the source of the images here is what i can gather with google translate:
if i am understanding it right, the special edition has a steelbook cover, 48 pages art book and access to the future expansion, collectors edition is pricey but he did not further clarify on the content of that and the ellie edition.

EDIT: clarification on the price of the collectors edition, it is pricier than the ellie edition.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Yeah I guess it was silly of me to worry for TLOU but some games like GT6 and Puppeter did get ignored because of the PS4. They would've been amazing as launch titles.
And God of War: Ascension, and Beyond: Two Souls... The Last of Us was the only game saved during the last year of PlayStation 3, and it was because it had a remaster released one year later.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Sony released GT6 after the PS4 launched, and they released Puppeteer just two months before, and neither played on PS4s.

I don't think releasing TLOU2 and GoT in the first half of 2020 is "doing something quite similar" at all.

I'm glad Sony is releasing games on the PS4. I wouldn't want them to just abandon PS4 for an entire year just to hold stuff back for the next PlayStation. I'm sure they'll have other games for that.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Sony released GT6 after the PS4 launched, and they released Puppeteer just two months before, and neither played on PS4s.

I don't think releasing TLOU2 and GoT in the first half of 2020 is "doing something quite similar" at all.

I'm glad Sony is releasing games on the PS4. I wouldn't want them to just abandon PS4 for an entire year just to hold stuff back for the next PlayStation. I'm sure they'll have other games for that.
Sony both sent GT6 and puppetter to die. Yes very wise decisions.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i dont get why didnt they anounce this already if its this close.

this game had such a weird marketing campaign.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If they add these :
May - Ghost of Tsushima
June - PS5 Reveal
First 6 months in 2020 will be glorious.
Won't the PS5 reveal happen earlier in the year? Like Feb at the PlayStation Meeting? Obviously we won't see the actual console itself till June if that's what you mean but I expect Sony to formally unveil their next-gen console at a PlayStation Meeting in late February just like the PS4.

But yeah, first quarter of 2020 is going to be so crazy with all the new console news, games people have been waiting years for finally coming out and other cool developments. The end of this gen is looking way better than the end of last gen IMO.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
So the first of the two characters making up Ellie's name (艾莉 àilì) in Simplified Chinese is also the abbreviation for AIDS? Curious choice. Second is jasmine.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And God of War: Ascension, and Beyond: Two Souls... The Last of Us was the only game saved during the last year of PlayStation 3, and it was because it had a remaster released one year later.
Beyond did fine. Ascension's problem wasn't releasing late in the PS3 gen, it was, it was another God of War, with little change and post 3 (the "ending"), GoW 2 released after the PS3 and sold well. TLoU did amazing before the remaster, it wasn't saved.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

Yeah, what they did with Puppeteer, Beyond: Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6 was even worse and this is why I don't have any problem about the launch of The Last of Us Part II in February. But I think it would be better if every Sony game on PlayStation 4 was released before PlayStation Meeting, because it will allow them to only focus on PlayStation 5.

Yeah, it would be sad to only have games like Final Fantasy VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077 and Marvel's Avengers in the last year of PlayStation 4.

It's not like we won't have new games on PlayStation 4. It will be a crazy year for the console, even without exclusives.

Beyond did fine. Ascension's problem wasn't releasing late in the PS3 gen, it was, it was another God of War, with little change and post 3 (the "ending"). TLoU did amazing before the remaster, it wasn't saved.
Beyond sold much less than Heavy Rain or Detroit. For Ascension, I agree, but maybe the game could have been better if it was released on PlayStation 4 and had one more years of developpment.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"likely"

Y'all really got to come to grips with PSX not happening this year. They haven't announced it yet, and it's July.
i would agree that PSX is not happening but not because of what you are saying, as PSX was already announced at august and september in the past.

i agree because capcom cup is not piggeybacking PSX this time.

OP
OP

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
found the source of the images here is what i can gather with google translate:
if i am understanding it right, the special edition has a steelbook cover, 48 pages art book and access to the future expansion, collectors edition is pricey but he did not further clarify on the content of that and the ellie edition.

EDIT: clarification on the price of the collectors edition, it is pricier than the ellie edition.

Gonna add this to threadmarks.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But yeah, first quarter of 2020 is going to be so crazy with all the new console news, games people have been waiting years for finally coming out and other cool developments. The end of this gen is looking way better than the end of last gen IMO.

It took so long for this generation to get going, and these games have been so long coming (Dreams was announced at the PS4 reveal, for crying out loud!) that it's only fair that this generation ends with a bang.

If these big games got pushed back to PS5, like some people want, I honestly would have felt a little burned on the PS4. The last year of a console should be the fullest, IMO.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, what they did with Puppeteer, Beyond: Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6 was even worse and this is why I don't have any problem about the launch of The Last of Us Part II in February. But I think it would be better if every Sony game on PlayStation 4 was released before PlayStation Meeting, because it will allow them to only focus on PlayStation 5.

Yeah, it would be sad to only have games like Final Fantasy VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077 and Marvel's Avengers in the last year of PlayStation 4.

It's not like we won't have new games on PlayStation 4. It will be a crazy year for the console, even without exclusives.

Beyond sold much less than Heavy Rain or Detroit. For Ascension, I agree, but maybe the game could have been better if it was released on PlayStation 4 and had one more years of developpment.
Beyond still sold something like around 2m copies on PS3. It did fine. Ascensions should have just never happened imo, the series needed a break after 3 (same with Uncharted now, if Sony are smart it'll be put on ice for awhile), it not doing too well was a blessing in disguise, if it done well we probably don't get GoW (2018), SSM biggest success by miles I think.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Beyond still sold something like around 2m copies on PS3. It did fine.
Beyond sold 2.8M copies, as of june 2018 and if you include the PlayStation remastered. For comparison, Heavy Rain is at 5.3M (nearly two times more) and Detroit did 3M in less than one year.

Ascensions should have just never happened imo, the series needed a break after 3 (same with Uncharted now, if Sony are smart it'll be put on ice for awhile), it not doing too well was a blessing in disguise, if it done well we probably don't get GoW (2018), SSM biggest success by miles I think.
Yeah I agree, the game probably was a mistake, but it doesn't mean that it was a good idea to release it during the last year of PlayStation 3.