• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So now you guys are the heros of humanity for using an emulator. This thread is going places.

The same people who play shooters on a console. Don't ask me. It's mostly 3DS and PSP/Vita stuff anyway.
It serves a reminder that corporations aren't your besties or your friends. No matter how cool they seem to be via promos, [ress conferences, directs whatever. It's all to sell you and get the maximum amount of money from you.

This companies don't need free defenders they have lawyers if they're truly threatened. And believe me Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have done consumer practices that are far worse than any run of the mill pirate can have effect on.

EditorWiki

Jan 10, 2018
....how? Who is going to go through the effort to pirate a switch game from an indie developer that is probably on PC already?
There are tons of reports of developers saying that Switch verisons outsell the Steam verisons, and if homebrew comes on Switch with the ability to put pirated games on the console, its going to hurt publishers, big publishers have enough money to take damage from privacy, while small publishers dont, just my take

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then why did you use the 'unless you're a shareholder' line if it would have no absolutely effect? Just to try and smear those who don't like things that will undoubtedly lead to piracy as corporate shills?

You can't have your cake ("you're a corporate shill if you care about lost sales") and eat it too ("it won't have any discernible effect on the console")
Because in the end of the day, would it affect you right now as a consumer? No offence but attacking emulation just screams fanboyism to me, and I mean emulation only and not piracy. Of course you're gonna say it will conclude to piracy but what can we do? Pretty much all consoles/platform will be pirated eventually, i'm just happy that emulation is there for preservation purposes as well as an option if you want higher resolutio etc. Every system in existence has been emulated one way or another, You'll probably be happy in the future that you have the option to play your favorite game in a higher resolution and possibly better framerate.

Again my point is as a consumer, there's nothing to worry about. It's something that will benefit us in the future, it's something that doesn't exist now and if it does it will be playable by niche group of people. Switch is selling gangbusters as well as it's software, it won't be affected by something like this lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons of reports of developers saying that Switch verisons outsell the Steam verisons, and if homebrew comes on Switch with the ability to put pirated games on the console, its going to hurt publishers, big publishers have enough money to take damage from privacy, while small publishers dont, just my take

Wait, what does this have to do with putting pirated games on switch? That is not what this emulator is about.

EditorWiki

Jan 10, 2018
Wait, what does this have to do with putting pirated games on switch? That is not what this emulator is about.
I just brought it up as a side note, It was kind of offtopic, homebrew would hurt smaller publishers way more than emulators on PC however, thats my take on it,I dont want to derail the thread

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I just brought it up as a side note, It was kind of offtopic, homebrew would hurt smaller publishers way more than emulators on PC however, thats my take on it,I dont want to derail the thread

Alright homebrew I can kind of understand. I was just confused because like, no one is going to emulate a switch in order to play a game that's on PC, even if that requires buying it.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Wow this was pretty quick. Very impressive. It will most probably not see progress as fast as Cemu but there is potential.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Very impressive development work! I'm extremely curious as to what type of workflows and how much dedication go into this kind of project!

Very disappointed by over half of the comments in this topic, however. Why is everyone so hyperbolic?

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very impressive development work! I'm extremely curious as to what type of workflows and how much dedication go into this kind of project!

Very disappointed by over half of the comments in this topic, however. Why is everyone so hyperbolic?

Because being able to potentially circumvent buying a switch and its software is a big threat to the software and hardware. Especially this early on.

I think this kind of thing is exciting at the end of a consoles life span, and I look forward to replaying some of Switch's best titles in higher resolutions and better frame rates.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the people that Know how hard tk code an emulayor is, agreed that Cemu likely is using copyright code obtained by someone breaking the NDA. Is the only way a relatively small group came out of knowhere and left everyone eating dust, also the fact that CEMU is closed and despite they promose to later share the source code, never did, helps to fuel that theory

The WiiU has been cracked wide open for a long time, by the time CEMU started. Being able to interact with the OS, and essentially perform debugging on it, allows for them to analyze what each command does. Or at least experiment with it, see what breaks what, and understand why. They didn't get the source code to the OS, and even if they did, it's not like it would directly show in their source code.
The closed source model is rather unique, true. I suspect the financial realities have something to do with it, but at the same time, the emulator is still progressing at a rapid pace, so I don't really see how anyone can complain that people are willing to support CEMU off of private donations.

Also, anyone who thinks this is a serious threat to the Switch's success, yeah, a bit over dramatic there guys.

Oct 28, 2017
To multi plat 3rd party (which Nintendo already struggles to bring home) this is a massive red flag, this tells em that putting games in switch will eventually translate to loosing sales, so 3rd party might drop any support all together to the console

Like I've always said when it comes to piracy on PC... These companies are more than welcome to abandon the platform because of a piracy boogeyman but they'll miss out on millions of sales as a result (PC is bigger than all three consoles combined and Switch is looking like it'll be incredibly successful over the next couple years). Fortunately none of the publishers are dumb enough to actually do this.

Chromanin

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Consoles are imo anti consumer. They lock you into their eco systems so you are forced to buy games only through them. I can't believe people just accept exclusives either, youvey got far more moral and MULTIPLATFORM reasons why a game is getting financed than locking the player to one platform that may or may not suck balls.

Emulators fix that problem, by making software platform agnostic. If the publishers want to get sales on these emulators I am confident no one would object. But their stubbornness is the problem. NOT the emulator, the emulator stops the greed.

I still have all consoles and play all exclusives. But I'm seriously sick and tired of crappy 30fps and faux 4k. And all multiplatform is on PC.

Oct 30, 2017
Consoles are imo anti consumer. They lock you into their eco systems so you are forced to buy games only through them. I can't believe people just accept exclusives either, youvey got far more moral and MULTIPLATFORM reasons why a game is getting financed than locking the player to one platform that may or may not suck balls.

Emulators fix that problem, by making software platform agnostic. If the publishers want to get sales on these emulators I am confident no one would object. But their stubbornness is the problem. NOT the emulator.

What if Nintendo's aim is to make you buy their platform

What if Nintendo are not interested in creating software unless it's for their platform only

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Good news. I hope they'll be able to run at fullspeed fairly soon.

Games shouldnt be be tied to an hardware.

What if Nintendo are not interested in creating software unless it's for their platform only

I dont care about Nintendo's aim. It's my right as a consumer to play the software I bought in the way I want.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Because being able to potentially circumvent buying a switch and its software is a big threat to the software and hardware. Especially this early on.

I think this kind of thing is exciting at the end of a consoles life span, and I look forward to replaying some of Switch's best titles in higher resolutions and better frame rates.

It's not really a threat. Booting a game is long away from actually working emulator.
It will be years before you can actually play.

Bigger threat is hardware/software mods that allow to play pirated games.

Eh, If being able to play other legal games on your console hurts sales, it means your game wasn't that good.
It's not basic right to have your game be success without any work.

When and how did they see the code?

It doesn't matter if they have access to source code.
They can still analyse similarity and ligitate if they suspect they've used it or parts of it.
Not to mention they should know if someone has (attempted) to get access to source code.
And get to access it via legal means.

Oct 28, 2017

Why does Nintendo want sales from people who see their hardware as nothing but a barrier between them and the definitive version of their games? I'm one of those people and I have a Switch, I'll buy whatever games I emulate but I'm sure as hell not investing myself into their "ecosystem". I'm not paying for multiplayer and I'm not going to buy anything digitally. Any games I buy at retail will be at a significant discount. I am not a valuable customer to them.

I'd argue they're even taking a loss on people like that and they're certainly losing sales on people who opt for Cemu/Citra who would jump at the opportunity to buy these games on a platform which meets their standards. Same goes for Sony and all the people who aren't okay with Bloodborne's 1080p with frame pacing issues. They'll wait for the definitive experience and get it for free. These companies should wise up and realize that they're an entirely separate audience. I know Microsoft has a stake in Windows and everything but someone up there "gets it".

Also there's the preservation argument which is a whole other thing but ultimately every time a console gets emulated/a DRM mechanism gets cracked, it's a win for the consumer and for preservation purposes.

Last edited:

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
It serves a reminder that corporations aren't your besties or your friends. No matter how cool they seem to be via promos, [ress conferences, directs whatever. It's all to sell you and get the maximum amount of money from you.

This companies don't need free defenders they have lawyers if they're truly threatened. And believe me Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft have done consumer practices that are far worse than any run of the mill pirate can have effect on.
Hold up, i get it that corporations arent your friends, but you are straight up advocating piracy. Not emulation, but piracy. Like its no big deal

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Why does Nintendo want sales from people who see their hardware as nothing but a barrier between them and the definitive version of their games? I'm one of those people and I have a Switch, I'll buy whatever games I emulate but I'm sure as hell not investing myself into their "ecosystem". I'm not paying for multiplayer and I'm not going to buy anything digitally. Any games I buy at retail will be at a significant discount. I am not a valuable customer to them.

I'd argue they're even taking a loss on people like that and they're certainly losing sales on people who opt for Cemu/Citra who would jump at the opportunity to buy these games on a platform which meets their standards. Same goes for Sony and all the people who aren't okay with Bloodborne's 1080p with frame pacing issues. They'll wait for the definitive experience and get it for free. These companies should wise up and realize that they're an entirely separate audience. I know Microsoft has a stake in Windows and everything but someone up there "gets it".

Also there's the preservation argument which is a whole other thing but ultimately every time a console gets emulated/a DRM mechanism gets cracked, it's a win for the consumer and for preservation purposes.

Im struggling to understand your point. Are you suggesting Nintendo and Sony should both go third party and release their games on PC?

Oct 28, 2017
What if people using their legal rights couldn't care less about Nintendo's aim and interest?
This. Nintendo's interests clearly don't align with the consumer. They're a major part of the ESA, the group that has been lobbying against loot box legislation/oversight and against preservation groups for bringing offline multiplayer games back online and once fought the circumvention of DRM in games that are no longer playable by "legitimate" means.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It is good in fact. It's an excellent news for gaming as a whole. If you worry about negative aspects, you're worrying about the wrong thing. You should check the homebrew scene on Switch instead.
Piracy isnt good at all. Especially not when the system still climbing a uphill battle in terms of 3rdParty support.

People who think that emulating a system in its second year is only good for the plattform/eco-system are naive. 3rdParties are supporting the system because it is selling...Emulation and the possibility of Piracy is what stops people from buying systems.

People who are worrying about Nintendo are missing the point...their big games will sell regardless - hell they sold on the WiiU. Im more worried about the smaller and exclusive games.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is good in fact. It's an excellent news for gaming as a whole. If you worry about negative aspects, you're worrying about the wrong thing. You should check the homebrew scene on Switch instead.
Any links you could provide ? I find that interesting :)

Also holy crap, that was quick ! Awesome work there from the devs!

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is it shady to circumvent paying Nintendo $300 for a Switch to play games on an emulator if you legally can avoid it? If someone made some magical TV that was free and better and legal I would obviously feel fine using that and wouldn't feel obliged to pay Sony or LG or any other TV manufacturer money as some kind of required gate-keeping to experience audio/visual content.

How it isn't shady? If a console is still alive and kicking, and you want to play its games, how it isn't shady to not buy it to play them?

I don't care about legality, emulating a console still in its life cycle its just wrong

Oct 28, 2017
Im struggling to understand your point. Are you suggesting Nintendo and Sony should both go third party and release their games on PC?
I'm just stating the reality of the situation that enthusiast-level users that are rendering Breath of the Wild at 8K won't be appeased by the limitations of the Switch's hardware and it's time to acknowledge that those enthusiasts are an entirely separate audience. I know exclusives are made to sell consoles but what's the point if they're not going to invest themselves in the platform?

They'll get Nintendo's exclusives one way or another. Might as well make some money off it.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Because in the end of the day, would it affect you right now as a consumer? No offence but attacking emulation just screams fanboyism to me, and I mean emulation only and not piracy. Of course you're gonna say it will conclude to piracy but what can we do? Pretty much all consoles/platform will be pirated eventually, i'm just happy that emulation is there for preservation purposes as well as an option if you want higher resolutio etc. Every system in existence has been emulated one way or another, You'll probably be happy in the future that you have the option to play your favorite game in a higher resolution and possibly better framerate.

Again my point is as a consumer, there's nothing to worry about. It's something that will benefit us in the future, it's something that doesn't exist now and if it does it will be playable by niche group of people. Switch is selling gangbusters as well as it's software, it won't be affected by something like this lol
If there were 100 million Switches in the wild, no, emulation by itself (ignoring piracy) would probably not affect me as a consumer. But at this stage, successful emulation would mean people don't need to buy a Switch to play Switch exclusives. As a result, far less Switches will be sold, and that WILL affect Nintendo's output (and possibly some 3rd party decisions) and so me as a consumer.

Oct 28, 2017
If there were 100 million Switches in the wild, no, emulation by itself (ignoring piracy) would probably not affect me as a consumer. But at this stage, successful emulation would mean people don't need to buy a Switch to play Switch exclusives. As a result, far less Switches will be sold, and that WILL affect Nintendo's output (and possibly some 3rd party decisions) and so me as a consumer.

How many people that own Switches have access to the kind of hardware necessary to emulate the Switch? We're talking high-end Ryzen/i7 processors and $400+ GPUs for the first couple years until it's optimized to allow mid-range hardware to emulate comfortably? I really don't understand this argument.

People aren't emulating Breath of the Wild on their Chromebooks and the family PC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Piracy isnt good at all. Especially not when the system still climbing a uphill battle in terms of 3rdParty support.

People who think that emulating a system in its second year is only good for the plattform/eco-system are naive. 3rdParties are supporting the system because it is selling...Emulation and the possibility of Piracy is what stops people from buying systems.

People who are worrying about Nintendo are missing the point...their big games will sell regardless - hell they sold on the WiiU. Im more worried about the smaller and exclusive games.

Nah, you're the naive one, on purpose. You worry more about an emulator which would be a niche as it would require a a powerful pc rather than the groundbreaking progress the hacking scene is making on the Switch.

I'll tell you what: Emulation even on day one is good news. No one is going to emulate a small indie game.on Switch that is available elsewhere. No one. As for the small exclusive games, not only they're too niche to interest people to go as far as having the powerful pc to emulate it and pirate it, according to you, but on top of that these represents barely nothing in the Switch catalogue.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Smaller games probably shouldn't be exclusive, that is unless someone pays you for that.

Piracy & emulation are two different things: You can play pirated games on consoles too (well Switch&PS4 at least) and you can play legit games (as well as pirated, of course) in emulator.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How it isn't shady? If a console is still alive and kicking, and you want to play its games, how it isn't shady to not buy it to play them?

I don't care about legality, emulating a console still in its life cycle its just wrong

"i dont care about legality"
Well, too bad bad you. You care care about your favorite company than your own consumer right.
You're talking morals about a piece of plastic. Seriously ?
As long as someone buy their games and rip them legally, why would you care that they play these on a nintendo branded piece of plastic or an HP/ASUS/ACER piece of plastic ?

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games won't actually be in any playable state for years. People thinking this is going to have an early bad effect on Switch are really looking at it the wrong way. Right now a year's progress will look like making -a- game look vaguely acceptable on super high-end PCs.

And piracy as a thing is nowhere near as rampant as it was back in the GBA and DS/PSP era, it's not going to singlehandedly kill Switch's software or hardware sales, as the general public just doesn't care about the option entirely. If the console's software output is still strong years later, it'll continue selling strongly regardless of the emulator scene.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I get the argument of saving games for documentation purposes via emulation, but why is the efforts for Xbox and Sony never this intense? It always seems like the latest Nintendo product must be hacked and emulated at the earliest opportunity while the Vita, Xbox 360, and until recently the PS3 had no enthuiasm at all in preserving exclusives in a working condition. And that's not getting into really old consoles that are in danger of being left out like the N64 or the Saturn which have shockingly poor emulation for them. Many of these projects seem to have not even close to the same number as people who want to break the latest Nintendo product.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I get the argument of saving games for documentation purposes via emulation, but why is the efforts for Xbox and Sony never this intense? It always seems like the latest Nintendo product must be hacked and emulated at the earliest opportunity while the Vita, Xbox 360, and until recently the PS3 had no enthuiasm at all in preserving exclusives in a working condition. And that's not getting into really old consoles that are in danger of being left out like the N64 or the Saturn which have shockingly poor emulation for them. Many of these projects seem to have not even close to the same number as people who want to break the latest Nintendo product.

Because these things are done by Nintendo fans. Which you can argue are more enthusiast about that stuff.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Nice, BOTW emulation better than in CEMU in several month? Joke aside - its impressive (excluding emulator/piracy whining, which should be banned by now)

Oct 28, 2017

Nintendo consoles are traditionally underpowered, less complex systems meaning easier to emulate. Also you're not dealing with the online infrastructure (because Nintendo hardly has one in place) so I'm sure that plays into things somewhat.

Sony: Cell Processor was incredibly complex to emulate, wouldn't perform well without extremely expensive high-end processors that were exclusive to Intel until Ryzen came along.

Microsoft: A large portion of its lifecycle was dedicated almost exclusively to Kinect shovelware, no one with the knowledge needed to create an emulator cared enough to bother emulating for their exclusives (Halo/Forza/Gears of War).
zl10SZ0.jpg
Also Patreon gives a financial support system for people to work on this stuff full time.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"i dont care about legality"
Well, too bad bad you. You care care about your favorite company than your own consumer right.
You're talking morals about a piece of plastic. Seriously ?
As long as someone buy their games and rip them legally, why would you care that they play these on a nintendo branded piece of plastic or an HP/ASUS/ACER piece of plastic ?

Do you think i wouldn't care if this were a PS4 emulator? Consoles sales are a source of revenue for companies, one person using an emulator is one sale less.

Some cut off the fanboy bullshit. Emulating alive consoles is harmful for the industry

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, you're the naive one, on purpose. You worry more about an emulator which would be a niche as it would require a a powerful pc rather than the groundbreaking progress the hacking scene is making on the Switch.

I'll tell you what: Emulation even on day one is good news. No one is going to emulate a small indie game.on Switch that is available elsewhere. No one. As for the small exclusive games, not only they're too niche to interest people to go as far as having the powerful pc to emulate it and pirate it, according to you, but on top of that these represents barely nothing in the Switch catalogue.
I cant help you if you think that emulation and Piracy on a system that has been out for a year are good news. Ask publishers and devs if they think the same....i doubt it.

lol emulation on day 1 being good news for a plattform...come on.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? First of all, in terms of hacking, it's almost always Nintendo's fault because of their bad security mechanisms. Failoverflow hacked the WiiU in months and even did not release anything because they thought it would not be worth it. As far as emulation goes, Nintendo systems seem to be an easy target to get at least something running but look at Dolphin, for example. It is still not perfect and potentially one of the biggest emulators out there with an insane amount of hours put into it. Citra only now is really able to do emulation at high speeds with modest computing efforts.
Btw, if the architecture is easy to emulate, then it's more likely to see an emulator running software. PSX was emulated also quite early, for example.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo is far less complex.

Do you think i wouldn't care if this were a PS4 emulator? Consoles sales are a source of revenue for companies, one person using an emulator is one sale less.

Some cut off the fanboy bullshit. Emulating alive consoles is harmful for the industry

Well you don't have any posts in PS4 emulator thread, so really seems you don't care about it at all.

Oct 28, 2017

Console sales hardly bring a profit until the latter end of the lifecycle. It's all about the "ecosystem" and I have an extremely difficult time that anyone who cares about 8K rendering is going to be a typical user paying for paid online and buying into their digital storefront. The only profit they'll realistically see are on exclusives. They'd actually make more money by creating a storefront on PC where they get the lion's share (the full $60 MSRP).... Or they can wait until it's emulated and accessible by "illegitimate" (illegitimate in their view, using that term loosely since it is entirely legal in the United States) means. Up to them really. I don't really have much sympathy for anyone launching their games which I view as artistic works that deserve to be preserved in their definitive state behind hardware-based DRM

(using the textbook definition before anyone calls me out on that)
Digital rights management (DRM) is a set of access control technologies for restricting the use of proprietary hardware and copyrighted works.

Exclusives in general are an inherently anti-consumer practice and I'll applaud any challenge people make towards them for that reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I really really don't get this. Games aren't going to be playable on this emulator for at least a few years and even then, you'll probably need a MONSTER PC. And I'm pretty sure there aren't many people with PCs that capable and even if all of them pirate, it wouldn't have much effect.
If you really really care about piracy and Nintendo and small devs, what you should worry about is not emulation, it's Switch's hacking scene, which is progressing really fast. I bet the number of people using Switch itself to pirate games will be A LOT higher than people using an emulator to pirate Switch games.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because these things are done by Nintendo fans. Which you can argue are more enthusiast about that stuff.

I mean, that would make sense but N64's emulation is still pretty poor even after all these years.

Nintendo consoles are traditionally underpowered, less complex systems meaning easier to emulate. Also you're not dealing with the online infrastructure (because Nintendo hardly has one in place) so I'm sure that plays into things somewhat.

Sony: Cell Processor was incredibly complex to emulate, wouldn't perform well without extremely expensive high-end processors that were exclusive to Intel until Ryzen came along.

Microsoft: A large portion of its lifecycle was dedicated almost exclusively to Kinect shovelware, no one with the knowledge needed to create an emulator cared enough to bother emulating for their exclusives (Halo/Forza/Gears of War).

Also Patreon gives a financial support system for people to work on this stuff full time.

So with the chip changes, do you think that Sony's PS4 will have a shorter emulation work-through time in comparison to the PS3's? As for Microsoft, doesn't this go against one of emulation's goal of persevering games past their console's lifespan?

What? First of all, in terms of hacking, it's almost always Nintendo's fault because of their bad security mechanisms. Failoverflow hacked the WiiU in months and even did not release anything because they thought it would not be worth it. As far as emulation goes, Nintendo systems seem to be an easy target to get at least something running but look at Dolphin, for example. It is still not perfect and potentially one of the biggest emulators out there with an insane amount of hours put into it. Citra only now is really able to do emulation at high speeds with modest computing efforts.
Btw, if the architecture is easy to emulate, then it's more likely to see an emulator running software. PSX was emulated also quite early, for example.

I'm not talking about hacking at all, I'm talking purely about this seeming eagerness to get the latest Nintendo console emulated as fast as possible. I'm not actually against emulation nor this news (mainly because I highly doubt that any true emulation that others fear will resutlt in piracy is coming anytime soon), but it's always Nintendo latest console that seems to drive the largest enthusiasm. Said enthusiam not apparently shared with older Nintendo products that need accurate emulation like say the N64.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo is far less complex.

Well you don't have any posts in PS4 emulator thread, so really seems you don't care about it at all.

I don't care about PS4 as a whole. Am i happy knowing there's a PS4 emulator? No, i'm not. I'm agaisnt emulation of current consoles, take it however you want

Oct 28, 2017
So with the chip changes, do you think that Sony's PS4 will have a shorter emulation work-through time in comparison to the PS3's? As for Microsoft, doesn't this go against one of emulation's goal of persevering games past their console's lifespan?

I'm not saying it's right but it really does come down to a developer's interest. I totally understand why someone who isn't interested in any of those series wouldn't want to dedicate the better part of a decade towards emulating a console with a pretty poor offering of exclusives. I do think everything deserves to be preserved in its definitive form so hopefully someone who actually has a passion for it will come along (it finally happened with the OG Xbox) because regardless of my opinion of those 360 exclusives, they deserve to be preserved if the publishers won't do it themselves.

There's already been quite a bit of progress made towards PS4 emulation. I expect the larger AAA retail games to boot within the year, playable by the next. What interests me is how much of that groundwork will be applied towards the Playstation 5 given today's rumored spec sheet.