• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I'm hoping the trade-in program is very generous this time around. My S10+ is still solid enough to not warrant an upgrade, but given the right trade-in amount I might bite. If I get a $500-600 trade-in, i'll probably go up.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
People dont realize there are still many lower priced phones from the likes of Asus, OnePlus, Google, and others, even Samsung like the A line with still some really nice specs and features.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From vergie

Samsung is also famous for throwing a billion confusing features at Android, a habit it has, thankfully, toned down in the past few years. Still, there are a few new things, but most only work with other Galaxy phones. There are two new ways to share files: over Wi-Fi Direct to other Galaxy phones or via a temporary 24-hour download link for anybody.
Wifi Direct sharing? the thing that's been around since the Galaxy S6?

the other one isn't new either.

ben around a few years.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is, I would like 3 things:
- amazing camera
- snappy as fuck
- good battery

To get these it seems the only route is going flagship. But they add features that I don't care and then the price goes crazy.
I get you, totally, but really if you're not a professional, you can do with a mid range phone. I got my S10e for 400 euros (in a sale though) and it has all those things at practically 1/3rd of that price. These conferences are great at making it seem like everything they talked about in last years conference is worthless all of a sudden, but it isn't.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
They did increase the trade-in prices from last year – $600 credit for either an S10 or S10+ (last year I got $550 for my S9+). There's no mention of free Galaxy Buds+ with any model, just "Samsung instant credit" (doesn't indicate whether the new Buds qualify) amounts of $100/$150/$200.

www.samsung.com

Buy Galaxy S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra 5G | Price & Deals | Samsung US

Find the best price for the Galaxy S20, S20+ or S20 Ultra no matter your carrier. Upgrade, trade in or switch to the latest S20 at 24 mo. 0% APR.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Somehow the Flip is 20 dollars more a month than the Galaxy S20 Ultra is on a monthly plan here in Sweden.

Hnngh.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
buds+ being preorder bonus only for the s20+ and ultra is such bullshit. The s20 is as expensive as the s10 was and i still got a preorder bonus for that.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
They did increase the trade-in prices from last year – $600 credit for either an S10 or S10+ (last year I got $550 for my S9+). There's no mention of free Galaxy Buds+ with any model, just "Samsung instant credit" (doesn't indicate whether the new Buds qualify) amounts of $100/$150/$200.

www.samsung.com

Buy Galaxy S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra 5G | Price & Deals | Samsung US

Find the best price for the Galaxy S20, S20+ or S20 Ultra no matter your carrier. Upgrade, trade in or switch to the latest S20 at 24 mo. 0% APR.
They probably don't want to run into the same issue as last year where they ran out of Galaxy Buds for the promo last year and ended up giving away credit anyway.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
5G is currently a joke, it's a shame they are using it as an excuse to jack up prices by $200 for each model. You either get 5G that's barely faster than 4G (t mobile) or fast 5G that has 0 building penetration and available outside in like 3 small areas in a major city like Houston.

Plus no headphone jack sucks. I have both wired and wireless earbuds and prefer the wired for music listening for better sound quality and don't have to worry about charging.

Definitely going to pass. I have no idea what phone I will be using in 2021. Going to keep my S10 for all of 2020. Might go back to Apple again if I'm giving up the headphone jack.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like when you mention how much you paid for a phone, you should also state your monthly phone bill, since that's usually where the true cost of your phone is hidden.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
People dont realize there are still many lower priced phones from the likes of Asus, OnePlus, Google, and others, even Samsung like the A line with still some really nice specs and features.
I get you, totally, but really if you're not a professional, you can do with a mid range phone. I got my S10e for 400 euros (in a sale though) and it has all those things at practically 1/3rd of that price. These conferences are great at making it seem like everything they talked about in last years conference is worthless all of a sudden, but it isn't.

I've looked at them all, and they all have issues for me. I get it - really. I had a OnePlus 5T and was extremely happy with it. Now that I'm forced to upgrade (it went through the laundry), I wanted 3 things: a better camera (I have a 1 year old daughter), wireless charging (I've had issues with the port on my last two phones) and waterproofing (laundry lol). But I also want to retain great battery life (I typically keep phones for years), a fingerprint sensor, and avoid an ugly notch or distracting cutout if I can. And I figured if I was buying a phone in 2020, I should probably get 5G (sub 6 and mmWave).

Even without the 5G, it's hard to find a phone that meets those requirements, even flagships.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like when you mention how much you paid for a phone, you should also state your monthly phone bill, since that's usually where the true cost of your phone is hidden.
This feels like an american thing, i always find it bizarre how people talk about how they got their phone for free when in reality you are paying for it with your monthly payments.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge video also said there is some service built in that lets you upload presumably whatever files to a free cloud service so you can share the link with people and it's 5GB a day? damn.

Link Sharing (the sharing via cloud service) isn't new. They upped the size limit to 5GB from 2GB though.

There seems to be no option for 5g Ultra for Sprint.

I mean, can you blame them when Sprint won't be around much longer?

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that means getting a Sony phone *shudder*
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've been pretty happy with Sony smartphones. On the better side for both speed and length of Android updates, a UI very close to stock Android with very little clutter and I personally liked most of their designs (though that's of course a personal preference). The cameras never were that good (kind of ironic for a Sony product), but eh, I never want to use my smartphone for serious photography anyway.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I've been pretty happy with Sony smartphones. On the better side for both speed and length of Android updates, a UI very close to stock Android with very little clutter and I personally liked most of their designs (though that's of course a personal preference). The cameras never were that good (kind of ironic for a Sony product), but eh, I never want to use my smartphone for serious photography anyway.

Its more their failure rate really.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
been upgrading every 2 years with S3/5/7/9

probably gonna wait till later in the year on this, 9 still getting the job done for me.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'm going to pounce on this is if there's a solid pre-order trade in bonus at T-Mobile. If not, I'll wait for a price drop or wait until next year's lineup.

I'm probably going to get the Buds+ though. I use wireless earbuds enough at work to take advantage of the battery capacity jump. And since my last pair was free, I won't feel bad with replacing them after just one year.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So if you don't care about the camera is the only real difference between the S20 Plus and Ultra the .2 inch screen size increase? Is there a power difference?

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So basically everyone getting new phone will get this if they can afford it, everyone else is like FUCK NOPE.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
5G is currently a joke, it's a shame they are using it as an excuse to jack up prices by $200 for each model. You either get 5G that's barely faster than 4G (t mobile) or fast 5G that has 0 building penetration and available outside in like 3 small areas in a major city like Houston.
Blame Qualcomm, they are only selling the latest Snapdragon with a 5G modem built in. They don't really have a choice besides using the same CPU they used last year (in the US at least)

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Z flip would be perfect for Nintendo DS style only games emulation.