• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Teacher here. Abolished completely? No, homework develops (as others have said) time management skills, personal responsibility, and reinforces topics taught in class. I've seen some argue that time management can be taught in the classroom, but time management in a teacher guided classroom without distraction is a lot different than independent time management with distractions coming from every angle. If high school (I am speaking of 9-12 in this post, K-8 homework is a different animal) is to prepare students for college or at the very least give them the tools needed for college, then denying them the ability to develop personal strategies for coping with homework would be irresponsible. AP classes would be impossible to teach without homework, and as a music teacher, if students aren't practicing at home they are missing out on that crucial independent development time.

All that being said, my personal philosophy is that if we won't have at least 10 minutes at the end of the period to begin their homework in class, then I won't assign it. Students often need an adult present to complete homework, and as a teacher in an urban environment, I recognize that isn't always possible. If I allow my students to begin (and often finish) their work in class, I can directly gauge student understanding before administering an assessment, I can learn where my faults were in presenting the material, and I can address individual students needs. In addition, I strongly believe that homework should not account for a significant portion of a child's grade. In my classes, homework only accounts for 10% of their overall grade. This way, if a student isn't able to finish their work in class and then is busy all night with after school activities, or family related circumstances, etc. it will not irreparably damage their grade. The response is often, "Then why would a student ever do their homework? They could fail every homework assignment and still walk out with a 90%." That's true, but I've never had a student catch on to that in my five years at my school, and again they are given class time to start the work.

Homework can be a detriment or an enhancer to a child's education, but I think it all lies in execution. I'm not saying my method is bulletproof, but it's worked for me and I've never had any complaints.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Do your kids have iPhones or tracfones?
Chan please.

My kids in are in 3rd grade and don't have iPhones, tracfones or even tablets. That shit is poison for your brain.

I use that time for something more productive. To teach them about how shitty and overrated Michael Jordan was. We can't have my legacy die with me.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I never did my homework. Graduated both high school and university with a shit GPA yet tested consistently at the top of my class.

That said, I think if this were done the response would be to increase school hours, which I'm not in favor of.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Dedicated homework? No. Homework that is unfinished work during the day? Sure. School work should be given so that is should be possible to complete during school time. But if you don't manage to finish during that time, then you have to find time elsewhere (at home) to finish it.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chan please.

My kids in are in 3rd grade and don't have iPhones, tracfones or even tablets. That shit is poison for your brain.

I use that time for something more productive. To teach them about how shitty and overrated Michael Jordan was. We can't have my legacy die with me.
Did you educate them on Magic eradicating AIDS?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I agree. I tried to be the model student in high school, taking multiple AP courses and all that because y'know from counselors, television, society in general, etc, that's what I heard universities wanted and would give me the best shot and so that's what I did.

And so I took multiple AP classes at the same time. Like AP Government, AP Composition, AP Chemistry, etc. And while individually each teacher tried not to give out too much homework even as such, no more than say 30 min-1 hour, when u have 6 different classes when you're in school that adds up to 3-6 hours each night pretty quickly. And good that's something that annoyed me so much in high school, because that refrain of teachers saying they don't give out that much was so common. Yeah, well, maybe. But you're not my only teacher, and I know you know that, but just not their problem and something that just went unsaid.

In any case, I thought I could nonetheless hack it and did my best because it's just something you had to do for the best shot at university, but I couldn't. That was all too much for me, and my grades and performance suffeeree even in stuff I enjoyed st the time like chemistry.

Especially since it's not just the homework I was worried about. Indeed, again because if university pressure, I understood how important extracurricular activities we're. And so I signed up for stuff like Quiz Bowl. And oh God, Quiz Bowl nightsm. Quiz Bowl itself was fun and I really liked it! But I also didn't actually get home until like 6:00, 6:30 PM on Quiz Bowl nights and my amount of HW was the same whether I had Quiz Bowl or not, and so Quiz Bowl nights themselves became a constant source if anxiety because I just somehow had to swuueze more into less on those nights.

And then speaking of universities, there's the applications themselves and college scholarships and all that on top of it all. And man, on that I have to say my mom was awesome because she was constantly looking for so much stuff for me, and I appreciated that so much. But at the same time, when they each wanted their own essays as part of the application process and obviously if you wanted to win with the amount of applications those things get it's not like any rush-job would cover it, with what time left over was I supposed to write all these other essays just for so much as a chance, JUST A CHANCE, of winning and the much greater probability that effort would be wasted? And so I begrudgingly ignored them because there just weren't hours in the day left for all that.

Suffice it to say that high school was a miserable experience for me, largely because of homework.

So yeah, that bring said, I agree, homework should be as close to being abolished as possible. Because I understand that each individual teacher only has a very limited time with students, but that goes two ways, and the students' free time at home is also valuable and can't be assumed to be unlimited. And indeed, because of that limited amount of time, the benefit of homework is questionable. Because if you want understand it it's probably fine. But what if you don't actually understand it,bbut just think you do? Then you're just wasting time reinforcing bad habits, but it will take until the assignment is graded and you get it back to realize that,vat which point the class has almost certainly moved on to other subjects and it's very hard to go back to that and look it over and realize what you actually did wrong so you can correct those mistakes because like all the other students you're expected to keep up with the latest material and do that now, so making the time to reach out to understand old mistakes just isn't in the cards at all, and so things can easily just snowball. And then you have the students who have limited to no parental support at all because they have bad home lives or their parents are just working 2-3 jobs and don't have time to make ends meet even if they'd likely love nothing but to have that time, and so of you have a student like that who just flat out doesn't understand the material at all, things can get bad that much faster.

That's all to say that homework is something that only even helps those most likely to succeed anyway, those students who more or less did understand the material, who have good home lives with readily accessible parental support, etc. For everyone else,it's questionable at best if not outright harmful in certain situations (as in addition to the scenarios I've outlined above, you also have people like myself, who was a straight A student who did great in school and was great at understanding material when I had proper time, but I just burned myself out trying to keep up with what I perceived to be the expectations of the universities I'd be applying to and ended up hating school as a result).
snipped just because I didn't want to quote the whole post, though I did read it.

Isn't some of this from your own doing, though? At my school, at least, they highly recommended you only take a certain number of AP classes at a time. These are basically classes that are going to get you college credit, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect college-level kind of homework or at least close to it. I remember wanting to take AP Chem, Physics, and Bio at the same time and was basically told that's a very bad idea. They absolutely need to teach towards the test because that's what the class is for, taking the AP test. What was your homework like before AP classes? If it was still 5 hours then yes, that is a problem. If you're taking AP classes or are in a magnet school that sets the expectation to pile on the work, you go in knowing that.

I do think there need to be more guidance counselers to help kids decide on their workload and help them with their schedules/college applications/having realistic post school expectations, etc. "Hey, you have three AP classes and you want to do Quiz Bowl, maybe you can drop one of those AP classes and take it next semester, let's plan it out" something like that.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
snipped just because I didn't want to quote the whole post, though I did read it.

Isn't some of this from your own doing, though? At my school, at least, they highly recommended you only take a certain number of AP classes at a time. These are basically classes that are going to get you college credit, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect college-level kind of homework or at least close to it. I remember wanting to take AP Chem, Physics, and Bio at the same time and was basically told that's a very bad idea. They absolutely need to teach towards the test because that's what the class is for, taking the AP test. What was your homework like before AP classes? If it was still 5 hours then yes, that is a problem. If you're taking AP classes or are in a magnet school that sets the expectation to pile on the work, you go in knowing that.

I do think there need to be more guidance counselers to help kids decide on their workload and help them with their schedules/college applications/having realistic post school expectations, etc. "Hey, you have three AP classes and you want to do Quiz Bowl, maybe you can drop one of those AP classes and take it next semester, let's plan it out" something like that.

I don't know how it is today, but the guidance counselors at my (public) school in the early 2000s would have said "Hey, you have three AP classes and you want to do Quiz Bowl. Are you sure that's smart? You have room in your schedule for six AP classes, and you do want to get into a good college, don't you?"

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nope, that ain't going to fly. I was just a kid, following what society and my elders we're telling me to do. They we're telling me at all turns to do it, so of course I fucking did it. I WAS A FUCKING KID! Literally, how the fuck was I supposed to know when adults everywhere we're telling me that's just how it was, that that's what you had to do if you wanted the best shot. I was a kid, they were they adults, they were supposed to know best, I was supposed to listen, so of course that's what I did.

You sayin', despite me being a kid, I was supposed to have more wisdom and knowledge and just magically know better than the adults that were feeding me that garbage in the first place? That they aren't responsible for the garabage they were selling me, that despite them being the adults that supposedly knew how it all worked and I was indeed just the kid who knew nothing and was just listening, I was supposed to be more mature and knowledgeable and just figure out what they we're telling me was garbage and not necessary when I was the one who was new to the works and they were the ones who supposedly knew best and we're leading me in the right direction and giving me that advice at every single turn, that university is super important and if you want to not only get into university but get the best scholarships you have to do this, this, and that?

Nope, I refuse. That's not happening, that I, the high school student me, is in any conceivable fucking way am the one to blame when nah, of course I didn't know anything, that's the whole point and why I relied on messages I was getting from others so to say "isn't that you fault" when I was indeed the newbie to the world and just relying on info from my supposed betters who I trusted, but fooooooorhivr me for not being the wise elder at high school already who already magically divorce need that. Nooooooooo, it's totally my fault for trusting the people I was the last to fucking trust at every turn instead of y'know just magically knowing based on fuck-aol at the time that was all garbage. Forgiiiiiive me.

Sorry. Kind of a touchy subject even now for me, if you couldn't tell. But the point being, yeah, if I could do it all again, of course I wouldn't have taken such a course load! No duh, I know that NOW that that was a dumb idea and probably didn't matter much for whether I would have gotten into university or not or anything like that, I know that all now, after the fact, yeah, for all the fat good it did me. But the whole point in the first place was that I DIDN'T know that because everyone and everything around me was telling me to do that for the best shot, especially since my family didn't have any money and so academic scholarships would have been the best way of making university work if possible, and so of course that's what I did. But foooooorgive me for not being the adult in the room anyway, despite being the child. FOH.

As for the rest, doesn't matter because it's all beside my point. 8 hours for work, 8 hours for rest, 8 hours for what we will. If it applies to the workforce it should apply to students as well. Especially since especially at high school age students have other obligations outside of school regardless such as applying to university, getting scholarships for said universities, extracurriculars, etc. How much homework I had before I started taking AP classes is irrelevant because both all those other obligations, it really doesn't matter either way. Because I can tell you what, I sure what have fucking LOVED to have applied for more scholarships than I did actually so maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have $50k in debt from student loans from university, to have had some scholarship made more than a dent in that, but I didn't, because of stuff like extracurriculars and homework. And be not taking AP classes wouldn't have changed that, because I still obviously would have homework all the same and after both a day of school and workinghard on homework what I definitely would not feel like doing is writing another essay just for a chance of getting some of my bills taken care of, AP classes or not, but y'know.

Again, sorry for blowing up a bit. But as you can tell now, very, very touchy issue for me because in my case, stuff like guidance counselors, well, I had 'em, and they were part of the problem because they lead me down the wrong path and we're the ones who intentionally or otherwise put do much pressure on my shoulders in the first place and I was just trying to be the model student and meet their expectations and do what I thought I needed to to succeed because I heard over and over and over again that you needed to go to university to succeed because you make SOOOOOOOO MUCH MORE MONEY, sooooo much more, and you're just be a dirty poor forever if you don't go (not that they used those exact words obviously but that was also very obviously the message they were putting down all the same, send, well, message received), and to both get into university and have the best chance of having the costs associated with university taken care of you had to do a, b, and c, and so of course I did my best to try that stuff out because that's just what I'm supposed to do and the people telling me know best because I sure as hell don't and so it only makes sense to listen to them, right?

So nah, sayin' it's on my shoulders.... I really, really don't like that or the implications there in. Again, touchy subject and sorry for going into a huge rant over that, but yeah, just touchy subject and it just kinda surprised me and caught me off guard that someone would even ask that, really, because as you can tell, what you're getting at definitely was not my experience (and it's beside my larger point regardless so to focus on that of all things when it really doesn't matter either way really kinda set me off there).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, so maybe what I should have said is that instead of having some blanket no homework ban, we should look at what the workloads are and how we're coaching these students to handle these workloads. If a student starts having anxiety because they have so much schoolwork it's overwhelming them, I'd think that's where the guidance counseler comes in even after the fact and helps them to make some changes. If that's not happening then that's a failure of the system.

I do think some of the responsibility lies on the student, especially in the later years of high school. You're going to have to make a lot of those decisions in college and the workforce, so maybe learning early on is helpful. But I dunno.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, so maybe what I should have said is that instead of having some blanket no homework ban, we should look at what the workloads are and how we're coaching these students to handle these workloads. If a student starts having anxiety because they have so much schoolwork it's overwhelming them, I'd think that's where the guidance counseler comes in even after the fact and helps them to make some changes. If that's not happening then that's a failure of the system.

I do think some of the responsibility lies on the student, especially in the later years of high school. You're going to have to make a lot of those decisions in college and the workforce, so maybe learning early on is helpful. But I dunno.

The workload + timing is the issue, especially in grade and middle school. There is opportunity to make sure assignments aren't due the next day, but it's not always taken. We want kids to enjoy family time if possible. We want kids to explore other activities (sports, church, music, whatever) but then we want to punish them with the homework thing if they do. The other stuff has a schedule while the homework is always this daily surprise.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Yet, while l hear a lot about productivity to defend and if anything lower the 8 hour workday for adults and rail against stuff like forced overtime/crunch in the gaming industry for instance, it's very interesting that I almost never year the same concepts that would logically apply just as much if not more so to students, well, actually being applied to them and it's just inherently assumed that they can jack it/it's good for them or whatever and even when it comes to homework critics it's interesting that's very rarely directly part of the picture at all to me.

People don't make that comparison because education isn't work. Work has financial value to who's paying you, and to your customers who want you to perform that work. Education is an end, not a means to an end (like work).

I'm sorry your counselors were bad at their jobs, but that mindset they were pushing (that school is just something you have to do to be successful, IE make money) is what I said is destroying education in the US. The idea that we, as citizens, should be championing education as some box to check ("welp, I clocked my required 8 hours today bettering myself, time to avoid doing that at all costs in the evening") is depressing. The whole raison d'etre of Society itself is to improve citizens' lives.

And as I also mentioned, I teach math at a university. I have my students for 3 hours a week. And there are 50 of them. There isn't time to individually ask them to prove that they understand every topic before an exam. Their homework is a chance for them to fail it when the stakes are as low as they'll ever be. Then they can email me to get help. What you're proposing is a world where failing students don't find out they're failing until the exams (stakes are much higher here!) come back. And the good students still need to be doing it. It's no different than any other skill. Outside of savants, no one learns about a topic in math in an hour and then has A+ level competency of that topic. Basically:
8qz01jL.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The workload + timing is the issue, especially in grade and middle school. There is opportunity to make sure assignments aren't due the next day, but it's not always taken. We want kids to enjoy family time if possible. We want kids to explore other activities (sports, church, music, whatever) but then we want to punish them with the homework thing if they do. The other stuff has a schedule while the homework is always this daily surprise.

Oh agreed about grade and middle school. I think in my kid's grade school they have homework that is basically just checkmarked and my kids just do it in their afterschool program (so I doubt it takes even an hour unless there's a project of some kind). There's no way that middle school should regularly have hours of homework (I don't think anyone's said that's the case but if so, geez), and if the homework ban were only for the lowest grades I'd be fine with that.

The timing part and due the next day probably becomes an issue when there's a lot of coursework that needs to be done. Someone else mentioned in the thread that homework wasn't useful because the feedback comes too late... if that's the case then you do need stuff due the next day to course correct as needed.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Oh agreed about grade and middle school. I think in my kid's grade school they have homework that is basically just checkmarked and my kids just do it in their afterschool program (so I doubt it takes even an hour unless there's a project of some kind). There's no way that middle school should regularly have hours of homework (I don't think anyone's said that's the case but if so, geez), and if the homework ban were only for the lowest grades I'd be fine with that.

The timing part and due the next day probably becomes an issue when there's a lot of coursework that needs to be done. Someone else mentioned in the thread that homework wasn't useful because the feedback comes too late... if that's the case then you do need stuff due the next day to course correct as needed.

The crazy part of it is that since I have twins, I see the variability in homework by teacher. I can also easily identify the terrible teachers, of which there are definitely some. (my son's teacher sandbagged them on their first STAR test this year by telling them that it didn't count for anything so don't sweat it. Well they did poorly and now she'll emphasize the importance of the future tests to get some free improvement.)

But yeah each year it changes. My son barely had any HW last year while my daughter had a lot. This year it's flipped.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The crazy part of it is that since I have twins, I see the variability in homework by teacher. I can also easily identify the terrible teachers, of which there are definitely some. (my son's teacher sandbagged them on their first STAR test this year by telling them that it didn't count for anything so don't sweat it. Well they did poorly and now she'll emphasize the importance of the future tests to get some free improvement.)

But yeah each year it changes. My son barely had any HW last year while my daughter had a lot. This year it's flipped.

The weird thing is that I think if you were a terrible teacher, you wouldn't want to assign all that homework, because that means you have to grade all that homework in your off hours.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I never did homework. I was the youngest in my family with older teen sisters and my parents really couldn't care if I was doing my math quizzes from the back of the book.

I almost failed a few times. My mom would ask me to do it and I would say I did. My teacher even started calling saying I didn't bring my books home. By the time I got to high school I learned how to pass without home work. Homework increased and I just lived with okay grades. Heck I couldn't be bothered going to class, let alone homework.

Life is fine now, I have a good job. Fuck homework.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing is that I think if you were a terrible teacher, you wouldn't want to assign all that homework, because that means you have to grade all that homework in your off hours.

My kids' teachers don't usually grade the homework. The kids are required to "show it" to the teacher for credit (but not graded). Some is on the computer so it's automatically graded in that way. That's especially shitty for math because it leaves you trying to figure out how the answer should be formatted.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
And as I also mentioned, I teach math at a university. I have my students for 3 hours a week. And there are 50 of them. There isn't time to individually ask them to prove that they understand every topic before an exam. Their homework is a chance for them to fail it when the stakes are as low as they'll ever be. Then they can email me to get help. What you're proposing is a world where failing students don't find out they're failing until the exams (stakes are much higher here!) come back. And the good students still need to be doing it. It's no different than any other skill.

That's the thing though, and what apparently was lost in translation in my previous post. In my high school math classes the teacher had us for over 4 hours per week, with about 20-25 students in the class. After being lectured on the latest concept, we spent probably half or more of our time doing "homework" type work in class, individually, with the teacher there to help if needed, and each other as well. We also spent multiple days on a topic if it was warranted. What we studied built upon itself, too, so the next week's lessons and "practice" incorporated the lessons we were learning the current week as well, all the way down the line. What I was complaining about earlier was that we would have plenty of time to practice, experiment, repeat, figure out what we didn't understand, refine, etc during class hours, but then we'd have up to an hour's worth of extra problems each night on top of it. That's what I was saying was superfluous and served many of us no purpose, borne out by the fact that many of us barely touched it and still aced these classes. For a student to fail in my math classes, they'd have to either be in a class too advanced for them, or work to knowingly hide the fact that they didn't understand the concepts from everyone around them including the teacher.

I'm all for providing problem sets for kids to take home if they feel they need to practice further, but to require such a massive amount of it when the class is structured to provide that kind of practice during school hours is what I'm saying can probably be looked at. It appears that this is how Montessori handles it, with work taking place during school hours. The Montessori kids I know are all several grades ahead in math, and homework limitation is a pillar of that type of school, so they must have figured out a way to make it work without sending such volumes of required math problems home.

(50 students at a time for 3 total hours per week with no lab sounds like a horrible setup for a math class, I'm sorry you have to work with that.)

Outside of savants, no one learns about a topic in math in an hour and then has A+ level competency of that topic.

If an hour per day isn't enough time, how much is? If a topic requires two hours to understand at an A+ level, wouldn't it make sense to spend two class hours on it? Maybe that's why I never had these problems? Is it possible that my teachers broke up the lessons into pieces that could be expected to be digested in an hour?

I'm all for a reimagining of scheduling and curriculum, though. The fact that I spent as much time in AP Statistics as I spent in my gen-ed required Photography class makes no sense.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The other thing that's been an issue with math.. the teachers don't want the math done in the way that I would do it.

So the kids are home doing HW and they want help, I try to help. Then the kids get to a test and get confused between how they are taught in class and how I taught them.

I'm confident that I've taken far more math courses than their teachers, but that doesn't translate to me knowing the methodology they are asked to use.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Homework is basically a tool to teach kids how to study in my opinion. It has been abused to the point to where it removes much of the motivation to study/learn.

I would not eliminate it.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
We also spent multiple days on a topic if it was warranted.

Not super possible with lots of subjects. With math in particular, it builds on itself. That means that when I reach Cal 1, it's essential that I cover it all so they can take Cal 2. If I don't, I've failed those students.

with about 20-25 students in the class.

Most class sizes aren't this lol. And even if they are, in an hour, that means each student has 2 minutes to demonstrate to me that they individually understand what we're doing (assuming zero instruction time, which is also not possible).

but then we'd have up to an hour's worth of extra problems each night on top of it.

That's pretty fair? In college, it's every other night for most classes, but we follow the rules of "an hour outside of class for each hour inside." Average college class time is 3 hours per class per week, about 4-6 classes. So max, 36 hours a week of work for a full-time student.

work to knowingly hide the fact that they didn't understand the concepts from everyone around them including the teacher.

Again, it doesn't have to be some conspiracy. Some kids are shy. Some kids think they got it, but I'm right there to guide them if they get a bit stuck. I won't be doing that on the exam! No hints, no notes, nothing.

Homework is an easy way to assess this. Failed the homework? You need some help. Aced the homework? You're ready for an exam.

I'm familiar, but they aren't super effective beyond elementary schools. Research on their middle and high school approach is largely unclear if there are any benefits.

And one of the Montessori staples is a huge block of time (like 2-3 hours) to do homework. Basically a guaranteed study hall. I'm fine with kids doing this practice on school grounds, but it's still time they have to spend to learn the material.

(50 students at a time for 3 total hours per week with no lab sounds like a horrible setup for a math class, I'm sorry you have to work with that.)

It's standard in college. That's my perspective on this topic. "How should homework be done so that students can handle college?" Believe me, I can tell which students never had to learn how to budget their time outside of class for things. Way too many of them in my wife's classes (she teaches literature) having to write entire papers in a night, when the paper was assigned weeks ago. In my classes, they just have blank assignments.

If an hour per day isn't enough time, how much is? If a topic requires two hours to understand at an A+ level, wouldn't it make sense to spend two class hours on it? Maybe that's why I never had these problems? Is it possible that my teachers broke up the lessons into pieces that could be expected to be digested in an hour?

In high school, the subjects are way more broken up. Algebra 1 and 2 took two years at my high school (one for each). In college? We cover both in a semester. Same for calculus (a year in high school, one semester in college).

I'm aware that there's plenty of bad assignments, but the reality of college is that you're expected to learn independently for much of your studies. Just like you would for an instrument or a foreign language (you can't speak Spanish for 3 hours a week in class and expect any fluency, for example). The divide between high school and college needs to be shortened. Not eliminated! But shortened. Like the other poster mentioned replying to me, high school kids are so used to getting extra credit for bullshit, not getting F's, etc... that they do that same thing in my classes at college.

"Can I get some extra credit to pass?"
"Well, you have a 15% in the class. I don't think you've gotten higher than a 40% on anything all semester."
"Yeah, can I do like a presentation or something for some test grades?"

Happens all the time. And high school teachers these days have to say yes to that. I do not. They didn't manage their time well. They viewed the class like work; they "clocked in" for class, and they thought that meant they get to pass. But that's not how education works. That's not how you learn how to do something. I hate that STEM worship got people thinking all these subjects like math work on some higher level than music, language, or art. It's all just practice. Constant practice.

Again, high schools can reorganize so that they're longer (either each day or more days/less long breaks) to fit the practice into the school system. But the practice must be there. For example, there's no magic bullet to getting really good at the product rule in Cal 1; you need to take dozens of derivatives with it. Often. And preferably keep doing that in future lessons. I don't care that this practice happens at home specifically, but an hour of class (where the teaching has to happen as well) a day isn't enough.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
It needs cutting down a bit, maybe to an hour or so a day at max. Homework does provide a meaningful lesson in time management (aka, leave it to the last minute on a Sunday and you'll panic over than 1-2 hour piece instead of doing it when it's fresh and enjoying the rest of the weekend). Some schools do give out seemingly a lot of homework, and it just adds to their workload.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
It needs cutting down a bit, maybe to an hour or so a day at max. Homework does provide a meaningful lesson in time management (aka, leave it to the last minute on a Sunday and you'll panic over than 1-2 hour piece instead of doing it when it's fresh and enjoying the rest of the weekend). Some schools do give out seemingly a lot of homework, and it just adds to their workload.

I agree with this. The guidelines we receive in my school suggest no more than 10 minutes times the students' grade levels, e.g., sixth-graders shouldn't be doing more than 60 minutes of homework a night. But classes get congested, exams get concentrated into the end of each quarter, and most teachers simply don't think about what homework the other 6-7 classes are giving kids. When it comes down to it, though, I don't give out much homework because more homework for kids means more homework for me, as I don't use answer keys or anything that is a simple check-and-return. And if I balance it the way I should and give kids 10 minutes of homework a night, that's really nothing when it comes to language study. Enough time to write 3 or 4 sentences at most.

So yeah, reading journals are all I use because it's doable and helps them prepare for college where, if they want to go into literature or humanities, they'll be expected to read a book or two per week, when many of them can't even finish a single book in six weeks, in high school.

Oct 30, 2017
People don't make that comparison because education isn't work. Work has financial value to who's paying you, and to your customers who want you to perform that work. Education is an end, not a means to an end (like work).

I'm sorry your counselors were bad at their jobs, but that mindset they were pushing (that school is just something you have to do to be successful, IE make money) is what I said is destroying education in the US. The idea that we, as citizens, should be championing education as some box to check ("welp, I clocked my required 8 hours today bettering myself, time to avoid doing that at all costs in the evening") is depressing. The whole raison d'etre of Society itself is to improve citizens' lives.

And as I also mentioned, I teach math at a university. I have my students for 3 hours a week. And there are 50 of them. There isn't time to individually ask them to prove that they understand every topic before an exam. Their homework is a chance for them to fail it when the stakes are as low as they'll ever be. Then they can email me to get help. What you're proposing is a world where failing students don't find out they're failing until the exams (stakes are much higher here!) come back. And the good students still need to be doing it. It's no different than any other skill. Outside of savants, no one learns about a topic in math in an hour and then has A+ level competency of that topic. Basically:
8qz01jL.jpg
Agree.

I used to be a massive slacker and was able to coast through high school into uni. It was a real detriment, though, as I didn't learn proper focus and study and learning skills.

I know them well now, but I wish I had just done my damn homework and learned how to study and learn by myself when I was young.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
This was public school, a bunch of GATE, AP and honors classes. Mainly we're talking piles of worksheets re-doing the work we did in class. So like we are taught a concept in calculus for example, and go over some problems in class, everyone gets it. But we have to go home and literally do pages of problems that night. AP Biology, we go over how the eye works or whatever in class, take notes, everyone gets it. We then have to go home and answer pages of questions in basically short essay format on how the eye works. Repeat like this across language, literature, history, etc.

This was 20 years ago so I assume things have changed one way or the other, but that's the basics of it. The homework wasn't anything new, it was a repeat of what we already learned that took a massive amount of time even if you knew it all by heart. And like I said, sometimes we'd just straight up be assigned to teach a chapter of material to ourselves overnight.

And honestly not many of us struggled with the material itself because a lot of kids were weeded out of these classes at the time. Nobody left standing was goofing off or not paying attention in class. You're right, there would have been no way to keep up if you struggled.

Could you tell me when this level of homework started?

I only ask because my daughter is right on the cusp of getting into the GATE program. School wanted her tested last year and she just missed out by a few pts (we didn't really prep her because we didn't want to add the stress at that time) and if they request it again and she gets in I would just like to have an idea of what to expect for her.

She is 10 right now and in 5th grade.

Thanks.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I had a teacher in I think 7th and/or 8th grade who got mad at me doing my homework during free time. She made me stop doing it at school. Her reason was "IT'S CALLED HOMEWORK, SO DO IT AT HOME". I think she put a stop to the homework stuff a while later or so.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The better half (Who is a teacher), weighed in on the subject yesterday.

She says she feels like its pretty much worthless for Elementary School grades. She feels the ones that need the extra work/practice, would likely need help from parents at home. If no parent involvement (Or parent doesn't know how to solve it or teach it), then its pointless.

She does feel its more appropriate in Middle school, and especially for High School.

She also notes 'reading XYZ minutes at home' is the one exception to the no homework rule for grade school kids. It's also something that parents can help with and that some/many kids enjoy (being read to 'story time' etc)

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for replying, Antrax. I'm going to be on my phone later so I won't be able to respond point-by-point like this to any future discussion, so please forgive me if my future replies are much shorter and more broad. I appreciate your perspective, though, and I just hope you can appreciate where I'm coming from too.

Not super possible with lots of subjects. With math in particular, it builds on itself. That means that when I reach Cal 1, it's essential that I cover it all so they can take Cal 2. If I don't, I've failed those students.

I don't know, we didn't have a problem covering what needed to be covered in order to prepare us for the next level. That's anecdotal though, but again I was asked about my specific case which is why I'm even posting here.

Most class sizes aren't this lol. And even if they are, in an hour, that means each student has 2 minutes to demonstrate to me that they individually understand what we're doing (assuming zero instruction time, which is also not possible).

This is why I said I was sorry you had to deal with class sizes like that. It wasn't the norm for me at all, and maybe that's a reason we were able to excel without needing hours of work at night. It also sounds like we had a group of kids who were forthright about when they needed help. The teacher didn't need to go to us one by one and have us prove that we knew the material. The students who weren't getting it raised their hand and either the teacher went to them, or the person sitting next to them helped. This was actually really valuable, being the person doing the helping, because that tended to solidify the knowledge more than an extra few practice problems.

That's pretty fair? In college, it's every other night for most classes, but we follow the rules of "an hour outside of class for each hour inside." Average college class time is 3 hours per class per week, about 4-6 classes. So max, 36 hours a week of work for a full-time student.

Again, I didn't do the extra homework in high school and still aced the classes, which is why I said that for me, that type of work at home wasn't useful. In college, for my math classes, we had the three lectures like you have, but we also had two labs during the week with a TA and a quarter the amount of students, where we did these kinds of practice and problems and got one on one help if needed. That did a ton to take care of the "one hour on, one hour off" type of work for us all while fitting nicely in a non-stressful daily schedule. Maybe that's something you'd be able to lobby your administration for? As a student, it was incredibly valuable.

Aside from that though, don't you think it's weird that college math has a rule of thumb of around 6 hours of work per week (3 lecture, 3 independent), while high school math using the same rule of thumb comes out to 9 or 10 hours of work per week (4-5 lecture, 5 independent)?

Again, it doesn't have to be some conspiracy. Some kids are shy. Some kids think they got it, but I'm right there to guide them if they get a bit stuck. I won't be doing that on the exam! No hints, no notes, nothing.

Homework is an easy way to assess this. Failed the homework? You need to some help. Aced the homework? You're ready for an exam.

Again, something that I guess my smaller class sizes mitigated. If we didn't get something, we could get attention from either the teacher or one of our friends on the spot. We didn't need to try to brute force 30 problems at home that night, foregoing other homework/studying, only to show up the next day, get a horrible grade, and then get someone to sit down and work with us on it. We had the answers up on the board as we were working, so we could see if we were getting them right or wrong on the spot. Keep getting it wrong? Ask your neighbor for help or raise your hand. That's how it generally went. And yeah, if you only finally started to get it as the bell was ringing, it would be valuable to have some problems to do at home to make sure you are comfortable with it. But it was annoying to still have to spend however much time on those problems when you didn't feel that you needed it (and it again was borne out that it wasn't needed personally with me via test results).

And one of the Montessori staples is a huge block of time (like 2-3 hours) to do homework. Basically a guaranteed study hall. I'm fine with kids doing this practice on school grounds, but it's still time they have to spend to learn the material.

I'd have loved this in high school. Instead of mandatory PE, art, music, even foreign language, to have time to study or do work in the middle of the day would have been amazing. It's what I did in college, with the much more relaxed scheduling and big gaps in between classes.

It's standard in college. That's my perspective on this topic. "How should homework be done so that students can handle college?" Believe me, I can tell which students never had to learn how to budget their time outside of class for things. Way too many of them in my wife's classes (she teaches literature) having to write entire papers in a night, when The paper was assigned weeks ago. In my classes, they just have blank assignments.

I don't doubt you that there are a lot of kids like that, but are you sure that these are all students who were never assigned homework in high school? Do they tell you this? I'd attribute a lot of that to the sudden, completely newfound freedom of college. Especially among those who really burned themselves out doing hours and hours each day in HS. To use the literature paper example, getting mountains of homework every single night actually taught me to procrastinate on things like papers, because what's due tomorrow is way more urgent than what's due in two weeks. Why slightly ruin every night further by adding a half hour each day, when I can just completely ruin one night by jamming the big one in at the end, or on the weekend before the end? I got all A's in my HS English classes, a 5 on both AP English exams, and all A's in my university's special honors English/writing program so it's not like I was turning in horse shit.

In high school, the subjects are way more broken up. Algebra 1 and 2 took two years at my high school (one for each). In college? We cover both in a semester. Same for calculus (a year in high school, one semester in college).

I'm aware that there's plenty of bad assignments, but the reality of college is that you're expected to learn independently for much of your studies. Just like you would for an instrument or a foreign language (you can't speak Spanish for 3 hours a week in class and expect any fluency, for example). The divide between high school and college needs to be shortened. Not eliminated! But shortened.

This is where the scheduling in college makes this kind of thing much easier to stomach. I went into it in detail earlier in the thread, but the short version is that I would have three or four lectures/classes per day give or take, some days more, some days even just two, all with nice breaks in between them. I treated those breaks like study hall, went to the library and worked on what I felt I needed to work on, studied something I needed to brush up on, prepared for something that was going to be happening later that day, etc. The way the classes and scheduling worked, I didn't have every single class every single day back to back with no break in between, and then a pile of homework for each and every one of those classes all due 7 waking hours later. I didn't find that time management skills learned in high school applied very well to what the options were in college, to be honest.

Like the other poster mentioned replying to me, high school kids are so used to getting extra credit for bullshit, not getting F's, etc... that they do that same thing in my classes at college.

"Can I get some extra credit to pass?"
"Well, you have a 15% in the class. I don't think you've gotten higher than a 40% on anything all semester."
"Yeah, can I do like a presentation or something for some test grades?"

Happens all the time. And high school teachers these days have to say yes to that. I do not. They didn't manage their time well. They viewed the class like work; they "clocked in" for class, and they thought that meant they get to pass. But that's not how education works. That's not how you learn how to do something. I have that STEM worship got people thinking all these subjects like math work on some higher level than music, language, or art. It's all just practice. Constant practice.

This never happened with me, the extra credit grubbing and the checking out and instant-grades and all of that. Sounds pretty bad, I agree that those kids weren't nurtured properly. I just don't think dumping 4 or more hours of homework on a kid and saying "you'd better learn some time management if you're going to have this all 100% correct and ready to turn in 7 waking hours from now, I guess" is what creates kids who want to learn and who will budget their time properly at the next level. If anything, I think that is what creates this "factory" mindset.

Again, high schools can reorganize so that they're longer (either each day or more days/less long breaks) to fit the practice into the school system. But the practice must be there. For example, there's no magic bullet to getting really good at the product rule in Cal 1; you need to take dozens of derivatives with it. Often. And preferably keep doing that in future lessons. I don't care that this practice happens at home specifically, but an hour of class (where the teaching has to happen as well) a day isn't enough.

I definitely see this, which is why the whole curriculum and scheduling thing needs to be worked on. You spend an hour on AP Calc, then an hour in PE, then an hour in Photography. Huh? Why not an hour in AP Calc, then a half hour each in those two, then an hour in study hall to work on some Calc problems with a friend in the class? I spent three years taking Spanish, and every minute of that time was wasted for me (not to mention the time spent at home doing the homework). My stress levels would have been a lot different if I had study hall instead of Spanish those years.

Again, thanks for responding and please forgive me in advance if any future replies are way shorter and more broad than this one was.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Could you tell me when this level of homework started?

I only ask because my daughter is right on the cusp of getting into the GATE program. School wanted her tested last year and she just missed out by a few pts (we didn't really prep her because we didn't want to add the stress at that time) and if they request it again and she gets in I would just like to have an idea of what to expect for her.

She is 10 right now and in 5th grade.

Thanks.

My memory is foggy because I started with GATE way back in the early 90's, so forgive me for not remembering specifics. I remember having some homework in elementary school with GATE, but it wasn't all that much. I certainly never stressed about it. Math problems, spelling and vocabulary, the basics. The main difference was that we tended to have longer term projects to worry about, things like that. Studying for tests is what I remember more than anything. It was when the honors classes started to hit in middle school that the homework itself got to be a lot. Probably 2 hours a night during that time, on average. Not the worst, and none of it was very difficult, but it was there. Then, with APs in high school, that's when it became an issue. They ease you into the APs, though. You start mainly with Honors classes, then second year you have an AP or two, then the last two years you're loaded up to the gills. There's plenty of opportunity to assess whether or not those are working for you before you find yourself with 5 AP classes out of 6 periods.

But even with all of the complaining, I would absolutely recommend GATE, and honors, and the APs as long as she can handle it. If she's really struggling with the homework, versus just having too much of it, it probably means that the classes are just too advanced for her and there's no shame in toning it down. I suspect that's where a lot of the issues come in, where people feel that they need to sit up all night reviewing and practicing: they're in a class that's too advanced for them. If you don't understand the material to a pretty good degree when the bell rings each day, you're going to fall behind.

Jun 17, 2019
College Teacher here chiming in. Having to deal with students that have no clue how to study can actually take away from lesson time. I teach programing, and part of this is understanding how each area fits together. So when we're going over how things work, and I have them do a demo to pratice with it in class, and I ask them to demonstrate what they were supposed to read out of the book, they get freaked out. One student pretty much told me he had never learned how to take notes, and that's becuase he never did any of his homework because he thought it was going to be useless in college.

I get not wanting a lot of homework, I agree that there should be limited amounts for younger students, but middle and high school, they need activities that get them to think outside of a box and research the world around them. Homework can make a student actually go out and learn about things that they may not have learned about before.

Actually this whole thing reminds me very much of a time I chaperoned my younger sister's class at the Art Institute of Chicago and had a discussion with the mother of the science teacher that was one of the other chaperons. What got to me was that, when she was suprised that I knew how to navigate the building space so well, she seemed shocked that I had been going there since I was very little (3 or 4) and she said something that clawed into my brain when I asked her if she ever took her daughter to the musuems when she was younger.

"No, because she wouldn't be able to appricate it."

And here's the thing for me. As a kid, without some of the homework that I had (particually history and science and english and art) I would never have actively gone off to read about things on my own. My parents would take me places to learn about things, and in class I would know about various things because of the activity of going to the different musuems and such. Having kids write reports, or reading books, or learning things at home actully helps them explore things more, I think. It gets them to pick up on things that normally they wouldn't.

I get that parents want to spend time having fun with kids, but at the same time, kids need to learn or else they won't beable to think critically and that leads to not understanding their world and having people on platfoms (like Youtube) telling them things. This is where Homework comes into play becaus it forces them to think Critically about things, to question things. Reading a book like "To kill a Mocking Bird" or a news article about the riots in Hong Kong or Iraq right now, or even the situation here in the states, allows them to question things and start forming a better understanding of the world. History, the arts, even science and math all have a place in crafting society and in some ways Homework helps this because in some cases it's the only way kids can ask questions about things to their parents, or people they trust, about the world or how things work. Homework, when done with parents, can also force them to rethink the way they see the world as well. One of my students told me that her daughter's art teacher had them do some critically thinking exercises on Spanish Impressionsitic painters, and it got her to view her own art work in a different light.

One of the things I'm really against is lengthing the time for school. Kids need to be out of that enviroment too as it can lead to a mindset of "Well this is the only place I should be learning." Not to mention us teachers also have to add time before and after school, so if kids got off at like 5 or 6 when the parents got out of work, then Elementary, Middle and HS teachers would be there till nine at night, and probably wouldn't be paid. It feels like sometimes parents would prefer if teachers would parent their kids, over letting the teachers spend time with their own family. Also hard no on less summer break, teachers need time away from school, and in some cases they are still working even during the break.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Maybe not abolished, but optional:
  • if the kid does the optional homework, then the teacher would have to check the copy and write down a few comments to help the kid improve,
  • otherwise, no punishment whatsoever.
Kids don't have the same possibilities at home, where either parents might be non-caring or just can't help, leaving the affected kid at a disadvantage

Without leaving the possibility of optional homework, you can bet educated/rich parents will give homework to their kids, and have them corrected somehow by themselves (if educated) or by someone else (if rich). So, you only remove possibilities to improve for the kids already at a disadvantage.

School work should be done in school, leaving more time for hobbies and other activities

I think hobbies and other activities should be offered at school. There is a huge discrepancy between activities suggested to kids depending on the family's background.

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
Teacher here, I fully agree. Where I live (Cambodia) kids often study 3 languages. They get so much homework they end up going to bed at 10 or 11 which is terrible for their general well being.

Luckily, I work at a very progressive school and we have a no homework policy. Doesn't stop the parents complaining their kids "have nothing to do" though.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Teacher here, I fully agree. Where I live (Cambodia) kids often study 3 languages. They get so much homework they end up going to bed at 10 or 11 which is terrible for their general well being.

Luckily, I work at a very progressive school and we have a no homework policy. Doesn't stop the parents complaining their kids "have nothing to do" though.

How does math instruction work if the kids don't take problems home to practice with?

the_kaotek1

Oct 25, 2017
How does math instruction work if the kids don't take problems home to practice with?
All done in class, with differentiated instruction to match the kid's ability. Those that really struggle will get one on one time with me to work through whatever issue they have.

Edit: As most kids study at least two languages (Khmer and English) they typically get two maths lessons a day too.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
All done in class, with differentiated instruction to match the kid's ability. Those that really struggle will get one on one time with me to work through whatever issue they have.

Edit: As most kids study at least two languages (Khmer and English) they typically get two maths lessons a day too.

Thanks, very interesting. That's how I figured it could be done in the US as well. It's basically how I was taught, but then with a big pile of problems to take home in addition.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I think homework is necessary to prepare kids for the realities of later life, when you must actually work for knowledge or to get things done.

Later, homework is necessary for learning, but early on homework is the only way to teach people about hard work to meet goals you don't immediately want to accomplish.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a teacher, homework in my district (at the elementary level, not sure if it's the same for middle and high school) is only worth 5% of the overall semester grade. 99% of us assign a packet or less on Monday and ask for it back on Friday. It's basically only there because we have some parents who insist their kids have homework assigned to them and sent home, but it's not worth enough to punish those on the alternative side who don't necessarily have parents who care either way (or have parents who don't "believe" in homework).

This is my first year teaching in the US, before this I spent 4 years in Korea. I would significantly prefer students have the US workload than the grueling, punishing, literally driving kids to suicide workload of Korean kids. I don't think my students here are even close to being as strong education-wise as my students in Korea, but they're also a lot happier and actually have time to spend being kids.

I do think some homework should be assigned in middle or high school, but at the same time I feel like having mandatory extra-curricular activities would end up being a lot more helpful to most kids in the long run.

Last edited: