Status
Not open for further replies.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I haven't checked myself since I don't know where the cameo was in the original video and don't know how to search someone's "following" section on Twitter. But a post on r/GamerGhazi claims YouTuber Scott the Woz has finally taken action regarding the issue that he included an accused rapist in his recent collab video after flat out ignoring direct warnings from the abuser's victim.

Text from the post by u/3DAudio giving some backstory:
Essentially, Scott the Woz, a gaming YouTuber that was notable for being one of the more considerate people on the platform, at least publicly, decided to feature one of his friends in his 200th Episode Special. This friend, Alex Carducci, better known as RelaxAlax, had been previously accused of raping another YouTuber.

What makes it worse is Scott was verifiably warned by his victim, Bobdunga, who at the time was also Scott's friend, well ahead of time. Yet Scott responded by blocking her and featuring Alex anyways. This is especially problematic, a she is a black woman in a circle known by some as being a bit of a mostly white boys club.

This also made a few other YouTubers, notably Tama Hero, uncomfortable, as they were not warned by Scott ahead of time he would be featuring Alex.

Scott still has not made a public statement, as he rarely does.

However, it is worth noting that the backlash he received here, on Twitter, and on ResetEra, was pretty insignificant compared to the defenders and people who are mostly unaware.

While the behavior was disappointing and we still don't know if he reached out to the victim, Raven, or others like Tama, I am very glad to see him cutting ties with Alex.

More context is given in this locked thread discussing the issue:
www.resetera.com

Scott the Woz invites known abuser & rapist RelaxAlax to cameo in his "Borderlines Forever" video despite being warned about him prior

A while back, it came to light that RelaxAlax abused & raped his ex-girlfriend Bobdunga, as well as emotionally abusing others. Check the threads below for more information on those allegations...

(I don't really know much about making threads, so delete if necessary.)

EDIT 7/5: As discovered by Neoxon, Bobdunga appears to have addressed the situation, albeit indirectly:

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now if he unblocks Bobdunga and makes a public apology MAYBE I'll watch his content again

OP
OP
ConVito

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I honestly don't think this is appropriate. Even if it's late, we should be encouraging this kind of thing and not damning people because they didn't do it to our standards.
That's my view on it. I'm not saying he should be let off the hook completely, but this gesture is still important, and sends a message to others.

That said, I'm still not quite sure I'm ready to resubscribe.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
His videos and general perception did not got negatively impacted by including relax Alex in his video....

The way i see it he could have ignored the whole thing and kept on going like nothing happened. The way he reacted (unfortunately a little late) is a good sign in my opinion. Better late than never....

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think this is appropriate. Even if it's late, we should be encouraging this kind of thing and not damning people because they didn't do it to our standards.

This.

Do people need to forgive him? No.

But this idea of: "Never forgive, always too late, no doing better" is incredibly toxic and sadly I've seen it quite a few times. People would rather have a person be damned forever than let that person rectify a mistake.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Even if true, it is way too late.

Fuck him.
No? It is never too late to cut ties with bad people and start doing the right thing. "It's way too late" is the kind of thinking that sometimes convinces people to keep acting the way they have been instead of trying to do better.

Not saying he doesn't still have some explaining to do, but this is a good first step that will hopefully lead to him being better. That shouldn't be dismissed just because he didn't do it sooner.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Seems weird to say "fuck him" to someone taking a positive action bc he didn't line up with some arbitrary time limit.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I feel like he should say something. Not grovel or anything just acknowledge the situation

e: for example i see a lot of posts about him trying to make it right but nobody actually knows if that's why he did it because he hasn't said anything about it

Last edited:

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
No? It is never too late to cut ties with bad people and start doing the right thing. "It's way too late" is the kind of thinking that sometimes convinces people to keep acting the way they have been instead of trying to do better.

Not saying he doesn't still have some explaining to do, but this is a good first step that will hopefully lead to him being better. That shouldn't be dismissed just because he didn't do it sooner.

Your right. I was being a unfair to him. I guess because I expected more and was upset at the time because it seemed like something he should've known about beforehand.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not too late to do remove it, but far too late to be forgiven.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bold of him to make a move well after it would have mattered.

Scott the Wimp, more like.
Seems weird to say "fuck him" to someone taking a positive action bc he didn't line up with some arbitrary time limit.
It's been over a fucking month.

After several prominent YouTubers called him out over this.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It's been, what, a month? He's finally done the right, even if it took longer than people would have liked. The internet & social media have really warped people's perception of time.

Edit:. Although I do agree with others that Scott should at least apologize, even if it is just in private to Bobdunga.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Your right. I was being a unfair to him. I guess because I expected more and was upset at the time because it seemed like something he should've known about beforehand.
He did know beforehand, which is why I said he still has some explaining to do, and why he needs to do more than just this. But this is still a step in the right direction, and hopefully the first of many if he's actually taking this seriously and wants to do the right thing.

Should've happened far, far sooner. I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm just saying that if he's finally at the point where he's realized he's been in the wrong and wants to do better… that shouldn't be ignored.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Bold of him to make a move well after it would have mattered.

Scott the Wimp, more like.

It's been over a fucking month.

After several prominent YouTubers called him out over this.

Ok? He still did something positive. I don't care if it's a year later, people growing and doing something positive is a good thing.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This would mean a lot more if he actually publicly acknowledged the issue instead of just quietly pulling the video.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
His videos and general perception did not got negatively impacted by including relax Alex in his video....

The way i see it he could have ignored the whole thing and kept on going like nothing happened. The way he reacted (unfortunately a little late) is a good sign in my opinion. Better late than never....

This is my view of it as well, Scott could have just continued to ignore the controversy as it had all but gone away outside of a few people bringing it up on twitter and sites like Era. People acting like Scott "took to long on this" probably need to consider the human element here. It's always easy for outsiders to say "the person should have known/this took to long/etc", but it's a lot harder when suddenly it's you and your best friend or close family member and they've been accused of something awful.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
It should've never happened, and I'm not sure if I'm going to watch his videos again, but I'm glad he removed him.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Someone does something bad: "Fuck You!"

Someone takes a step toward correcting the bad thing: "Fuck you!"

Does anyone else think this is a really toxic way of handling situations like this? People take time to change, and so I feel that legitimate attempts to correct actions should generally be encouraged (or at the very least not derided).

In this case, Scott could have totally gotten away with not doing anything and most of his fans wouldn't care - the fact that he actually removed the alex section from the video and unfollowed him is at the very least a half step in the right direction.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Glad he made the right decision. I hope he chooses to speak up about it, but what really matters is speaking to the victim and others who he chose to ignore initially. I honestly can't behind this "too little too late" stuff. Can people not make mistakes? Are they just forever damned because they didn't fix their mistake as fast as you wanted them to? Like come on. No one is cheering for him here. He took a step in the right direction, thats it. Thats what you want out of people that do bad things.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok? He still did something positive. I don't care if it's a year later, people growing and doing something positive is a good thing.
The positive thing would have been not collaborating with a fucking rapist.

Which he did. After ignoring the warnings of one of the rapist's victims (and unfollowing said victim after being warned about the rapist) prior to said collaboration.

He fucked up, and he took over a month, for things to die down, before he would do anything about his fuckup.

Read the fucking thread linked in the before tut-tut'ng people who are saying it's too late. He should have addressed this in May.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Does anyone else think this is a really toxic way of handling situations like this? People take time to change, and so I feel that legitimate attempts to correct actions should generally be encouraged (or at the very least not derided).

In this case, Scott could have totally gotten away with not doing anything and most of his fans wouldn't care - the fact that he actually removed the alex section from the video and unfollowed him is at the very least a half step in the right direction.

And again it's not like anyone is saying: "Forgive him as if nothing happened". No one is saying that.

But for some there is no such thing as: "Getting better." No such thing as: "Doing better". Once you do one bad thing, you're tainted forever.

It is incredibly super massively toxic and there is not even a hint of self awareness of it.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

I'm convinced a lot of it is just performative to make it seem like people aren't being soft towards shitty people, so they condemn regardless of any steps taken to correct the problem.

Obviously depends on the situation, but I feel like more people are worried about what other people might think of them with regards to their take on the situation instead of the situation itself.

OT: Dude has a responsibility to know the people he works with and it shouldn't have happened in the first place, but glad something was done. Echoing another person above saying that this was a pretty weak response to not even post anything about it and just doing it quietly.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
This.

But this idea of: "Never forgive, always too late, no doing better" is incredibly toxic and sadly I've seen it quite a few times. People would rather have a person be damned forever than let that person rectify a mistake.

Yeah, I agree. Honestly i'm pretty shocked he did this since one thing I know about him, that kinda stirred the whole situation to begin with and made people cranky is that he outright avoids any sort of public situation unless his hand is physically dragged to it. The most I ever see him talk out of his own videos that's not on podcasts with gaming youtubers, is the fan subreddit where he's condemned things like people trying to take over the Etika sub, and fans going too far trying to find the addresses of his IRL friends and parents to send fan mail to, while occasionally doing a QA deal like once a year. He barely does anything on socials period, in fact, whereas if he was on there daily like most content creators I'd absolutely be calling for him to say something about that situation.

As much as people are not going to like hearing this fact, he would have never and will likely never publicly state anything about anyone on his twitter since he prefers to be as offline as possible and out of any sort of conflicting situations, which is both a good thing for the sake of not saying stupid shit without thinking, and bad if it means you don't really know if this creator is listening to people's concerns or if he even cares about them. He knows as well as we all do that he could have left this alone and in a month the general populace would have forgotten about it and his fans would have dismissed any reminders even moreso than they do now. The fact he actually bothered to go and edit the cameo out and completely cut off Alax everywhere is pretty darn shocking to me even, considering how I feared Scott seemed as if believed he may have had to be forever linked to Alax due to alax giving him a shoutout years ago, when that's absolutely not the case and you should cut out shitty people who end up showing their true colors, even if it's difficult to do on a whim and there's feelings of denial.

The real test tbh, is if he ends up reaching out to Raven about all this and trying to make it right with her, though I definitely do not blame her if she doesn't trust him at all for ignoring a super legitimate concern for the sake of sticking by a creep just because he has high sub counts. Having been caught in super tricky friendship situations myself that I broke free of, I know it's not a thing that's as easy to do as people like to think it is.

Not too long ago I literally struggled to unfriend a longtime bestie who became more and more erractic and rude to me and my friends because I had hope he was maybe just stressed, but then I was told by a fellow mutual I knew for years that I met through him, what said bestie was actually doing to her (very fucking creepy shit in private messages, along with the aforementioned rudeness and getting more and more unhinged), and I was pretty much at a loss for weeks not knowing what to do, so I outright ignored both of them (and unfriended the ex-bestie on sites he didn't use anymore so he wouldn't notice) as I struggled to come up with how to help my mutual. In the end I decided to talk to my therapist and pretty much concluded that even if it meant a possible violent blowback towards me from him, cutting the now ex-bestie off for being a fucking monster was the right thing to do. (Thankfully, he either didn't care or didn't notice since I made sure to block him EVERYWHERE, even my phone, and he hasn't tried calling me with another number since..)

I fucking hated learning that someone who was nice to me for 4 years had a dark sinister side I never knew about for all that time, and was miserable for weeks about it, but I trusted my mutual and had no reason to doubt what she said happened to her. Very happy I made that call looking back and I even took a step further and outright erased all traces of him from everything I interacted with him on: including all the pokemon he traded me over the years. It was hard, but I needed to do what was right. If I had people in those few weeks calling for me to rush out a statement, and then told after I made the right choice that i was actually horrible forever because I "took too long", then that would just be completely stupid. As long as he doesn't do some bullshit like bring another creepy YTer in a cameo, ignore raven still, or continue to support alax in a secret place like discord, then I feel it's perfectly reasonable to hope this was scott learning the right thing and cutting out a toxic creep forever even if he doesn't want to make a public deal about it.

Let's also not forget that Alax was outed by multiple people as not only a creep but a total control freak, and I have no doubt that he may have pulled that sort of shit on Scott too, especially considering Alax tried to manipulate a bunch of people against raven before she came out publicly, even going as far as having his relatives harass raven.

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The positive thing would have been not collaborating with a fucking rapist.

Which he did. After ignoring the warnings of one of the rapist's victims (and unfollowing said victim after being warned about the rapist) prior to said collaboration.

He fucked up, and he took over a month, for things to die down, before he would do anything about his fuckup.

Read the fucking thread linked in the before tut-tut'ng people who are saying it's too late. He should have addressed this in May.

I know the context, it's still a positive action. Holy shit.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Scott was extremely negligent putting Alex in the video so I'm glad it's been rectified.

But I'm becoming really uncomfortable with the way we talk about people in the public space and how socially acceptable it is to micromanage their lives.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
And again it's not like anyone is saying: "Forgive him as if nothing happened". No one is saying that.

But for some there is no such thing as: "Getting better." No such thing as: "Doing better". Once you do one bad thing, you're tainted forever.

It is incredibly super massively toxic and there is not even a hint of self awareness of it.

This.

Etcetera is chock full of this sort of attitude.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now if he unblocks Bobdunga and makes a public apology MAYBE I'll watch his content again
This post nails it. Cutting off Alax is the first step, but he needs to legit apologize to Bobdunga publicly, especially after he ignored & unfollowed her when Raven warned Scott about Alax.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
This.

This is so important. Is ok if you want to stop supporting the person but this idea of not letting people learn and evolve and improve is so toxic.

I am happy he reacted and hope in the future he will choose better and help others choose better

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

just want to signal boost this post.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Going by what Liam said a few days ago regarding Scott, I wonder if there was internal pressure for him to cut off Alax.

Seems like there's more concerning stuff about the Scott-Alax situation that we don't know about.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This still isn't the openness and accountability the situation deserves. He still signal boosted a rapist.

But I'm glad he's done the bare minimum now.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I get it if he took down the video after a day or two, but a month? Yeah no, fuck that.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Its a good gesture and all, but I really think the next step should be apologizing to Bobdunga.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Scott was extremely negligent putting Alex in the video so I'm glad it's been rectified.

But I'm becoming really uncomfortable with the way we talk about people in the public space and how socially acceptable it is to micromanage their lives.
Scott knew for over a year about what Alax did & still went through with the cameo, not to mention trying to silence Bobdunga. This is the first step towards taking responsibility for his actions, but this is the absolute bare minimum. Scott still signal-boosted a rapist, & he needs to publicly take full responsibility for that. This isn't something he can just quietly sweep under the rug & move on.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going by what Liam said a few days ago regarding Scott, I wonder if there was internal pressure for him to cut off Alax.

Seems like there's more concerning stuff about the Scott-Alax situation that we don't know about.

So more likely this is done by Scott to cut any involvement with RelaxAlax, knowing there is more to come.
Hence no communication to Bobdunga, it's just to avoid future bad PR for him.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Monitoring this thread, thanks for keeping us informed OP. I think we absolutely should be encouraging forgiveness and compassion! Reform is always the ideal conclusion. HOWEVER, in my eyes his actions haven't yet crossed over the threshold of earning said forgiveness.
This post nails it. Cutting off Alax is the first step, but he needs to legit apologize to Bobdunga publicly, especially after he ignored & unfollowed her when Raven warned Scott about Alax.
This would be another step in the right direction. Apology + Accountability. Which isn't even asking for much if you ask me… especially considering this all could have been avoided so easily lol

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So more likely this is done by Scott to cut any involvement with RelaxAlax, knowing there is more to come.
Hence no communication to Bobdunga, it's just to avoid future bad PR for him.
Given that this seems like Scott's trying to settle the situation as quietly as possible without doing the next step of taking responsibility for his actions (I.E. publicly apologizing to Bobdunga & condemning Alax), I wouldn't be surprised if the shoe drops anyway (if there is one, of course).

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017

Exactly. He's had a squeaky clean run this entire time on YouTube. He probably took long on this because this was legitimately the first time he's had controversy and didn't know how to handle the situation. But to go and instantly say "fuck him" without giving a chance just doesn't give people a chance.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. I still feel like we are missing something here, but it is a good first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.