Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
No. People with large platforms don't get to platform assholes then whisper the apology in private. He owes her a personal apology. And he owes the public one as well. I doubt he'll be doing either, however.
He only owes her a public apology if she wants that. She was the victim and should not be put back into the spotlight in this situation more than she needs to.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
No. People with large platforms don't get to platform assholes then whisper the apology in private. He owes her a personal apology. And he owes the public one as well. I doubt he'll be doing either, however.
This isn't a show for you. This is about the victim. Maybe the victim would prefer a private apology.

Too many people in this thread are worried more about Scott than they are about the actual victim here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If he was able to ignore it for a month after it had already completely died down and only existed in a tiny corner of the internet most of his viewership isn't even aware of, what the fuck are you talking about "Because the heat was on him"?

The problem with this is you're fundamentally trying to make this a tribalistic thing. Not everyone thinks that way. He's not "your boy." Someone could just as well say these things and not watch him. This is really silly thinking. Maybe some people just find the criticism legitimately toxic. This really comes off as projecting dude, like you're on "#TeamFuckScott." That's really weird. There's no teams here.
I really don't think the dude calling everyone childish for not wanting to give Scott the benefit of the doubt because he happened to do the bare minimum in this situation should be talking about projecting.

You're taking this all personally and like, you shouldn't be? People can change, absolutely. We all make mistakes. But it gets harder to to accept that in this situation when the information was out there for a year. The information about Alex was given to Scott directly and he still fucking ignored it and so I'm not sure why you're trying to shame people for not wanting to continue to watch his content or accepting this action as a good move or an apology. If it takes you a month to come to the conclusion that you shouldn't signal boost a rapist, I don't know what to tell you.

Amd before you go in to another one of your spiels about how "that's not how the real world works" or "you must not actually have close friends!" I've cut people out of my life at the drop of a hat for thinking that people we knew for years didn't deserve basic human rights because Republican's or the Bible said so. I'm sorry, but cutting shitty people out of your life, and a rapist at that isn't a hard decision to come to.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
A heck of a lot of people are basically making it out to be completely worthless the change he made, which I find toxic.

I don't understand what's so difficult about saying, "Good, he did the right thing. Now he still has an apology to go make. Hope he does."

Because "Fuck him, too little too late." is just like. Okay? Good for you? Hope you never do anything shitty in your life?

Not sure how else to emphasize the difference here. One is the mature way to handle shit like this. The other just seems like weird ...self gratification over moral superiority to me.
100% agreed. On every point. "Good, he did the right thing. Now he still has an apology to go make. Hope he does" is exactly the right response.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope with this Bobdunga gets the apology that she more than deserves in a way that is satisfactory to her. She didn't deserve to be ghosted by Scott after warning him of Alax.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the people perpetuating this don't ever screw up and look for forgiveness, because it sounds like they're not gonna get it.
Yeah, this.

No one on this planet is perfect, we also make mistakes. The important thing is to learn from them and try to do better.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

He reversed the thing he did in public. Also personally has an offense against someone. He doesn't need to apologize to you for his offense against her.

I really don't think the dude calling everyone childish for not wanting to give Scott the benefit of the doubt because he happened to do the bare minimum in this situation should be talking about projecting.

I'm really not going to bother responding to someone who is this bad at reading what I said. I didn't say "give him the benefit of the doubt." Like, at all.

I'm saying this need to collapse him immediately to "good guy or bad guy" is weird and a childish thing to do. It definitionally is. The need to make the world black and white is childish. There's no arguing that. I'm not just lashing out insults because I'm angry or something. I've taken the time to explain why I think the way I do. Dismissing that all as name calling is really silly.

UnFollowing a rape victim and featuring their rapist in a video is a statement.

You know exactly what I mean. We're talking about making a bespoke statement like on his twitter.

Everyone knows editing the video and cutting ties with the guy makes a statement. No duh.

In fact that point you're saying is exactly...what I'm saying. Sort of.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know exactly what I mean. We're talking about making a bespoke statement like on his twitter.

Everyone knows editing the video and cutting ties with the guy makes a statement. No duh.

In fact that point you're saying is exactly...what I'm saying. Sort of.

And you know what I mean I'm tired of people hiding behind "i know my job is on social media but I'm not when it matters". It was bullshit with AVGN and its bullshit now. James not giving Mike the boot with his racism is a statement. Jon "White Nationalist" Tron makes his racist ass statements. His normal boots crew PBG and Competitionist distance themselves from him publicly just to keep hanging out with him privately. That is also a statement. Youtube has unlimited content. I can find people that dont make me sick.

Funny how people on Social Media suddenly stop making statements on SM when racism is involved.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
And you know what I mean I'm tired of people hiding behind "i know my job is on social media but I'm not when it matters". It was bullshit with AVGN and its bullshit now. James not giving Mike the boot with his racism is a statement. Jon "White Nationalist" Tron makes his racist ass statements. His normal boots crew PBG and Competitionist distance themselves from him publicly just to keep hanging out with him privately. That is also a statement. Youtube has unlimited content. I can find people that dont make me sick.

Funny how people on Social Media suddenly stop making statements on SM when racism is involved.

But...my whole point was that Scott does not really have a social media presence. He is barely on twitter ever. He's made many comments about that that he doesn't think he's the kind of person who would well handle a social media account.

And not everyone is. You don't get to tell someone they can't make videos on youtube, or if they do they have to run their own PR account, just because a lot of people watch them. Maintaining a public image on social media can absolutely destroy your mental health, even if nothing like this ever happens to you, and I honestly recommend more people DON'T do it.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he apologized to bobdunga. If what Liam Robertson was saying is true, I look at this with some sideye that it was a bare minimum to dodge some other bad PR.

Regardless it IS the right gesture, but I think there needs to be more. He took a month to do this. He should absolutely make a statement on it. He does not have to put bobdunga in that statement if she does not want to be. I hope he apologizes to her.

Personally I am not convinced on re-subscribing yet, but he could prove me wrong. Yes, people make mistakes and can change. He was also given multiple warnings about this and it had been a month since the video on question released. I think it should be a bit more than just quietly removing him from the video and unfollowing. He still can redeem himself, but I am not personally convinced yet. No one is obligated to be convinced by this.

melloon

Jan 17, 2021
Good on him for doing... the bare minimum... I guess? I'll be holding any further judgement until either
1. He makes a statement
2. He apologizes to Bobdunga
3. The other shoe drops and we found out he did this because new info is coming out

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Far too late. Always knew the "wholesome" image was a charade. He needs to explain exactly why it took him so long and he ignored for so long or else fuck him.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017

Completely agreed here. I'm glad you brought this stuff up.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a start, but Scott needs to explain what happened and why he ignored the warnings in the first place. It's not like Alax's past was unknown to him.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But...my whole point was that Scott does not really have a social media presence. He is barely on twitter ever. He's made many comments about that that he doesn't think he's the kind of person who would well handle a social media account.

And not everyone is. You don't get to tell someone they can't make videos on youtube, or if they do they have to run their own PR account, just because a lot of people watch them. Maintaining a public image on social media can absolutely destroy your mental health, even if nothing like this ever happens to you, and I honestly recommend more people DON'T do it.

His (clap) job (Clap) is (clap) Social (clap) Media!

When did I say he can't make videos? I don't like him platforming a rapist so I will no longer watch him. He makes content and he is responsible for what he makes. It is his choice not to own up to it so it is my choice not to watch him.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
His (clap) job (Clap) is (clap) Social (clap) Media!

When did I say he can't make videos? I don't like him platforming a rapist so I will no longer watch him. He makes content and he is responsible for what he makes. It is his choice not to own up to it so it is my choice not to watch him.

I literally said in the exact same sentence that people can make youtube videos without maintaining a social media presence. Those are two very distinct ideas that, while often intertwined, are just as often not. You can consider youtube a social media platform, but it is a fundamentally different thing to twitter and other social media sites. One you don't interact with the public, and one you do. Producing a thing for public consumption is not interacting with the public, otherwise the term is meaningless because it is so impossibly broad. Publishing a youtube video is not interacting with the public. Maintaining a social media presence and posting on social media sites specifically designed around public discourse, is. Just because you can term youtube a social media platform does not make it similar at all to what we normally consider social media. And I've made it pretty clear already by context which type I'm talking about. Scott does not have a social media presence, as that concept is generally understood, and as we are literally talking about it now.

If he wants to make youtube videos and not get involved in social media, that is a perfectly legitimate and probably more healthy way to go about things. He wants to just make videos, and if a video has something bad in it, he should remove that. Extending this to wanting him to come out with a public presence is nonsense. A video persona and a public presence are not the same thing. Just like a video game developer can make a video game, which is sold to the public, but not have a public "presence" even if they feature themselves in their own game. Those are two very different things. His job is not social media. His job is making youtube videos. Some people do both. He doesn't. Getting hung up on terms is really stupid because any person should be able to see the distinction in what he is abstaining from, call it whatever the fuck you want, vs those who do not abstain. And I've made it very clear what I mean here.

He does not have to interact with the public, and demanding that he does just because he makes youtube videos is fucking unhinged. No, fewer people should interact with the public. Because interacting with the public takes energy and skill and mental fortitude that most people do not have. There is a reason it is a profession, and a profession that burns people out from it, so wanting to avoid it wholesale is a pretty wise thing to do. But just because people really should not try to have a public face doesn't mean those people can't make youtube videos. You are saying it necessarily comes with the territory, and it does not. It should not. The reason I said that he can make videos is because by your logic, if he's going to make videos, he must also interact with public on social media, so if he doesn't want to have to interact with the public, he just shouldn't make videos. That is nonsense, and bad advice to give to anyone. Stop trying to force people to have a public face who have said they don't want to. It's creepy. He's allowed to make videos and not talk about them. If they have problems, he should fix them. If he's hurt someone, he should go apologize to them. But he's not required to have a dialogue with the public ever. Again, suggesting that is weird and creepy. It's like this weird public ownership of a person. Fuck off with that.

At no point have I said he's not responsible for what he makes. The fuck?

This idea that someone must attach a performative public apology instead of just fixing the thing that's wrong is fucking weird to me.

Last edited:

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
Can I be that guy and ask for more information about that Alax guy? Is it proven or just accusations?

I am out of the loop.

If its proven then Scott needs to make a statement but this is a move in the right direction!

OP
OP
ConVito

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Can I be that guy and ask for more information about that Alax guy? Is it proven or just accusations?

I am out of the loop.

If its proven then Scott needs to make a statement but this is a move in the right direction!
The original thread on this should have all the context in the first post.
www.resetera.com

Scott the Woz invites known abuser & rapist RelaxAlax to cameo in his "Borderlines Forever" video despite being warned about him prior

A while back, it came to light that RelaxAlax abused & raped his ex-girlfriend Bobdunga, as well as emotionally abusing others. Check the threads below for more information on those allegations...

Jun 24, 2021
Alax is a rapist, that's already really bad. But yes, he still needs to make a public & sincere apology to Bobdunga.
I respectfully and strongly disagree. Your heart is in the right place but he does not owe us an apology. He does, however, owe an apology to her, but it doesn't have to be public for it to count. She's the one that matters not us. Would I prefer a public acknowledgement if given the choice? Sure, but I really don't care nor should it matter that much.

Last edited:

balb

Oct 30, 2017

I don't know, I don't think I'll be able to find another nerdy white guy covering old Nintendo stuff on YouTube

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Until I hear from the victim saying that Scott has apologized to her or something to that effect, I'll continue to ignore his content. Good that he did the bare minimum after several warnings and something of a public PR stink though.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
It's never too late, people.

Stop that.

Fucking stop that.

That's a dangerous, and quite frankly close minded, mentality to have.

This is why we need to start minding our own business, because when you don't, you sabotage an otherwise decent celebrity.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice first step.

Now if he actually follows up with this I'll be impressed

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good that he did that, especially considering there was no real backlash outside of here. It means there was either internal pressure among close friends or he himself regretted it.

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this.

Like, what exactly are people thinking Scott took a month to do exactly here? Just...wait until suddenly he decides to change his mind? Like, "hmm, okay a month's long enough, time to cut ties." Or more realistically he's very busy (the guy goes to school full time while also pumping out videos he puts a lot of work into), and he's having to grapple with verifying something about someone who was a close friend to him.

People just don't allow others to be human beings ever. I've been close friends with someone who turned out to be shitty. I did not turn around and cut ties in a day. Losing a friend to being shitty can be like losing someone who has died. What kind of weirdo has friendships so weak that they don't struggle over the rationalizing and loss that comes with something like that. I don't know if these people were really close, or what the situation is, but that's just it, I don't know, so I don't immediately pronounce him shitty if it took him some time to work through.

He absolutely does need to, but if so, that should be between him and Raven. Not us.

Just want to chime in and say I appreciate your posts the last couple pages for cutting through the bullshit, sharing your own experience in a dynamic like this, and pointing out that this whole controversy involves human beings. "He learned & changed later than I would've liked so fuck him forever" is closed minded and completely writes off the humanity of everyone involved so we throw everyone neatly into whatever box we want.

My god, fuck giving people another chance or encouraging change in behavior in thinking. Just fuck everyone forever if they ever fuck up only once. Great world we're living in. Why not just kill all criminals instead of trying to rehabilitate them.

Basically this. Well said.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My god, fuck giving people another chance or encouraging change in behavior in thinking. Just fuck everyone forever if they ever fuck up only once. Great world we're living in. Why not just kill all criminals instead of trying to rehabilitate them.

Stop that.

Fucking stop that.

This is why we need to start minding our own business, because when you don't, you sabotage an otherwise decent celebrity.
Scott did the absolute bare minimum. As was said before, this is only the first step of what he needs to do in order to atone. If Scott deserves to be forgiven should be up to Raven. But if Liam's tweets are on the money, it looks like Scott may have only done this to try & push back more bad PR coming his way. Hopefully that's not the case.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good. After he appeared on Caddicarus I was about to give the guy huge sideye.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its not about when he cut ties, its about why. Did he do it because he realized he was in the wrong, or did it happen because he felt pressured to do so?

Because if its the latter, he still sucks.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Its not about when he cut ties, its about why. Did he do it because he realized he was in the wrong, or did it happen because he felt pressured to do so?

Because if its the latter, he still sucks.
Exactly, hence way Raven's opinion is the only one that truly matters. Until I hear from her that Scott did enough to atone, I have no reason to believe that he has.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we need to, nor should we worked toward, being thankful to every person just for making a positive step.

Too many people in threads like these acting like it automatically deserves priase. What deserves praise is consistently taking the right actions, immediately standing up for a victim, not eventually coming around.

It is good whenever people correct themselves, but that doesn't deserve praise on its own and it doesn't absolve a person fromt he mistakes they made. They need to put more work in for that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I won't say "good" for doing this - because he really shouldn't have had this collab in the first place - but it's definitely more than I expected.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't the most avid Scott watcher. Good on him if ends up apologizing and cutting ties with completely with Alax, but I'm personally done watching his content.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Now if he unblocks Bobdunga and makes a public apology MAYBE I'll watch his content again

This is the appropriate sentiment. This action is insufficient on its own to mitigate the disgusting behavior of ignoring a victim and knowingly collaborating with their attacker.

However, these posts...

I honestly don't think this is appropriate. Even if it's late, we should be encouraging this kind of thing and not damning people because they didn't do it to our standards.
This.

Do people need to forgive him? No.

But this idea of: "Never forgive, always too late, no doing better" is incredibly toxic and sadly I've seen it quite a few times. People would rather have a person be damned forever than let that person rectify a mistake.
It's been, what, a month? He's finally done the right, even if it took longer than people would have liked. The internet & social media have really warped people's perception of time.
Ok? He still did something positive. I don't care if it's a year later, people growing and doing something positive is a good thing.
Someone does something bad: "Fuck You!"

Someone takes a step toward correcting the bad thing: "Fuck you!"

Does anyone else think this is a really toxic way of handling situations like this? People take time to change, and so I feel that legitimate attempts to correct actions should generally be encouraged (or at the very least not derided).

In this case, Scott could have totally gotten away with not doing anything and most of his fans wouldn't care - the fact that he actually removed the alex section from the video and unfollowed him is at the very least a half step in the right direction.
Glad he made the right decision. I hope he chooses to speak up about it, but what really matters is speaking to the victim and others who he chose to ignore initially. I honestly can't behind this "too little too late" stuff. Can people not make mistakes? Are they just forever damned because they didn't fix their mistake as fast as you wanted them to? Like come on. No one is cheering for him here. He took a step in the right direction, thats it. Thats what you want out of people that do bad things.
I know the context, it's still a positive action. Holy shit.
Scott was extremely negligent putting Alex in the video so I'm glad it's been rectified.

But I'm becoming really uncomfortable with the way we talk about people in the public space and how socially acceptable it is to micromanage their lives.
I hope the people perpetuating this don't ever screw up and look for forgiveness, because it sounds like they're not gonna get it.
Exactly. He's had a squeaky clean run this entire time on YouTube. He probably took long on this because this was legitimately the first time he's had controversy and didn't know how to handle the situation. But to go and instantly say "fuck him" without giving a chance just doesn't give people a chance.

These posts are all reductionist.

They reduce the gravity of the initial act into a benign turn of phrase. Instead of acknowledging the weight of what he did, (ignoring multiple warnings and actively blocking a victim before collaborating, supporting, and platforming the walking atrocity), these posts diminish that disgusting behavior by treating it as a less specific, genetic "bad thing".

And/or

They are all guilty of something just as insidious, false equivalency, where they are treating this miniscule gesture as something more. When the conversation is reframed so that he has 'done a bad thing and now has done a good thing', you're employing cognitive bias. Nothing he's done yet comes close to rectifying the chain of decisions he made in the first place.

Is it good that he removed the clip? Sure, it's better than nothing. But it's not an apology, or an admission of self reflection, or an acknowledgement that his actions were wrong. No one is obligated to view this gesture as one of those things either. Those things require explanation, which he hasn't done yet. He could be just as well trying to cover his own ass from further information coming out. And again, it's not our responsibility to put words in his mouth, which is so pathetic in this instance, because the words begin with something as simple as "I'm sorry".

Furthermore, the brigading in his defense, or in favor of public forgiveness seem more like some counter effort to fight the boogie man of 'cancel culture'. But behaving ethically (i.e. avoiding racism, sexism, association with rapists, etc) is literally all one has to do to avoid public backlash. When your job is to operate publicly on a social media platform, no one is obligated to continue watching your stuff, even without a victim-ignoring and rapist-platforming situation. Editing out that content doesn't erase those awful actions. There's nothing gained by derailing the conversation to bemoan people who will 'never forgive someone who has made a mistake' because this miniscule gesture simply isn't enough. What he did was disgusting, and his response hasn't come close to earning forgiveness.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Stop that.

Fucking stop that.

No one is saying that he can't ever be forgiven, but you're damn right people are gonna be side-eyeing the people who continue to ignore the fact that he knew about Alax's past for a year and still featured him in the video. Like, what is so hard to understand about that? This isn't a case of someone who didn't know about the past of a collaborator before platforming them ina video that gets millions of views. He was fully aware of his past and still thought it was appropriate to put him in the video. That in and of itself is a statement that he made and it's incredibly stupid that y'all are going after people not wanting to forgive him when he's given no reason to do so.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really give a shit whether he apologizes to the public as long as he apologized to the victim and the victim is satisfied. The dude just needs to make it right in the eyes of those he harmed.

However, some of yall are on some bullshit. Dude quietly edits a video and unfollows a dude he never should have featured or been associated with in the first place and you all wanna give him applause? Man fuck that. He hasn't done anything worth acknowledgement from the general public. If you're someone who thinks he doesn't owe the public an apology, why the fuck should the public in turn look at his on the low actions as worthy of public praise? Lmao what the fuck is that?

RelaxAlax isn't just a dude with some problematic views. He's a known rapist people. And yall are like "I'm so happy Scott made the right move in total silence. Praise be!!"

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.