• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you done all of the solo ones? You're better off finding someone while doing something else if you can. You might be waiting forever! The servers are only so big.
Yeah nailed the solo ones.
AAAAAND I am up there standing on the throne and of course the very first person who comes goes and kills me and then goes and wrecks my ship. (I did not have anything on it, did not even bother to stock barrels because I expected it)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
last night was pretty rad. a friend and i started out on a sloop to do the solo crew thrones and at the first island we were joined by 2 more sloops - all trying to shoot out of a cannon at a throne at the tip top of a skely fort - all missing or ricocheting into the ocean only to try again from any of the nearest ships, laughing, having a good time. we finally did it then continued to all sail together for the next few hours hitting up solo and duo thrones together, even gaining a galleon crew to join us in the progress. seeing 3 sloops and a galleon all together must have been quite the site. strangely (ha!) no other crews attempted to mess with us :)

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know if the coins earned from Bilge Rats will be used for other things down the road? I'm not sure what to do with mine.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if the coins earned from Bilge Rats will be used for other things down the road? I'm not sure what to do with mine.
They've described Bilge Rats as the delivery for the weekly events, so yeah I think it's pretty safe to assume that they'll be back with new inventory for new events, but you'll be using their currency in the future.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Yeah nailed the solo ones.
AAAAAND I am up there standing on the throne and of course the very first person who comes goes and kills me and then goes and wrecks my ship. (I did not have anything on it, did not even bother to stock barrels because I expected it)

This.

This whole mechanic is bullshit, I can just repeat myself.

I feel with ya, can't finish this too. Either nobody appears for hours, like the server is dead, or I'm getting killed. It's such a waste of time and it makes me angry every time I just start the game.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

This whole mechanic is bullshit, I can just repeat myself.

I feel with ya, can't finish this too. Either nobody appears for hours, like the server is dead, or I'm getting killed. It's such a waste of time and it makes me angry every time I just start the game.

I get ship to ship combat, I get if you parties are on an island how you can have a throw down....
But a guy standing in a chair playing with his squeezebox...that is just bad form.
I mean, you do not get gold for wetworking someone you just look like a tool.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Haha! Smugglers bay throne was an easy find! (After hearing here it was the hardest and reading the clue carefully!). Now, I just need another crew...

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
going against my own best advice, I'm currently sitting on the smugglers bay throne waiting for a ship. I'm In an hour, expect an angry rant on rares forced coop quest design.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Lol, sure, because it's my fault that the game has awful game mechanics.

Where do I meet up? Where am I sailing to? Without getting killed immediately? The most logical thing would be to wait at the place where you have to work together and that would be the throne, what's so hard about understanding this? This game doesn't have a safe place, no lobby, no meet up island, where else would I do that? Sailing randomly through the world until I find someone would be a better solution or what?

Some defenses this game gets are straight up ridiculous sometimes.
My guy, you really think sitting around doing nothing at one of ten spots in giant map with a handful of ships and one which people would only be going to if they were already teamed up is somehow more logical than just carrying about your business doing quests or the solo ones and trying to befriend ships you come across along the way or joining a LFG galleon post so you have 3 other people to back you up if your experience is trying to befriend people always ends in fights. Like even if you wanted to not talk to anyone to magically team up, your plan wasnt even "I saw another ship in the area so i went to the spot to see if they followed me" it was to just sail to one and twiddle your thumbs all day and you somehow think this was the most logical way to handle it.

Waiting around worked for the shark quest because you had to go to merrick three times during it, so chances are good if you stayed put and someone else on the server was also doing the quest they'd show up sooner or later. It doesnt make any sense to wait around at one of ten points people dont have to return to ever

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My guy, you really think sitting around doing nothing at one of ten spots in giant map with a handful of ships and one which people would only be going to if they were already teamed up is somehow more logical than just carrying about your business doing quests or the solo ones and trying to befriend ships you come across along the way or joining a LFG galleon post so you have 3 other people to back you up if your experience is trying to befriend people always ends in fights. Like even if you wanted to not talk to anyone to magically team up, your plan wasnt even "I saw another ship in the area so i went to the spot to see if they followed me" it was to just sail to one and twiddle your thumbs all day and you somehow think this was the most logical way to handle it.

Waiting around worked for the shark quest because you had to go to merrick three times during it, so chances are good if you stayed put and someone else on the server was also doing the quest they'd show up sooner or later. It doesnt make any sense to wait around at one of ten points people dont have to return to ever
I have to kind of agree.
I mean i got one done by sitting waiting, but it was pure chance that someone was doing a chest on the island and I saw their ship and called out (Wolfgodtyr if you are on here you are a bro forever) so I am one and one between asshats and kin.
I am sitting at Plunder Outpost now, but to be honest I have other things to do so I am doing them and making sure I do not idle out.
Once i am back in I am just going back to grinding rep and money and will get these as I can. I have two weeks so I am not concerned and I got 6 now so I feel above the curve.

The events are there, but to be honest they are not make or break.
I do not know why anyone would be vexed do deeply if they can not get it done, many have and many won't.
Do the five solo which were made as a lock, they give loot and they give a title.
The others were made for social people, they are not for everyone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just done the collovarative thrones for a fourth time with friends. Maybe I'm just a smooth talker! Ran into one scumbag but also two friendly sloops. Job done.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The events are there, but to be honest they are not make or break.
I do not know why anyone would be vexed do deeply if they can not get it done, many have and many won't.
Do the five solo which were made as a lock, they give loot and they give a title.
The others were made for social people, they are not for everyone.

They're also in the game for two weeks. It's only five thrones. You'll get them done at some point along the way! I've done at least one of them in every session just running across people. I did them all day one but have happily done them again with friendly pirates.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL So I am sitting on the Outpost with the Throne, been here for a bit to finish some business and order pizza for dinner.
FINALLY I see a galleon coming this way, and though of course they could try to kill me at least there was a chance if they could get within horn range....
Then I watched via the spyglass as the Kraken came from nowhere and pulled it down to the locker

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
So I've done the thrones things twice now. One with a buddy and another with three more buddies that had not done it. So, first one was awesome, found a sloop while doing the solo ones. They joined us, and on the next stop we got another crew, by the end we were four sloop. It was such a cool experience all of helping each other complete the challenge.

Next time we only got united with another guy. But something awesome happened. We were on Plunder Outpost and a crazy crew of legendary pirates that came out of nowhere they just crashed and blew a explosive barrel against our ship. It was crazy. So we sink and they just go, and the sloop that was with us was spared. But all our treasure we had, from shipwrecks we found on the way sank. We came back, and the pirate that was with us, had kept the gold in his ship for safe keeping, he gave it to us, we gave him half as thanks and we just continued and finished the thrones again. I mean, this games provides such unique experiences with other players. I really like the activities that encourage cooperation. It is a great change of pace. Truly is.

LordAmused

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
So i tried launching this on my PC and I can't play. I boot the game and get the splash screen. It immediately closes.

Tried all the fixes here and same issue
https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115015775927-Sea-of-Thieves-not-Launching

Do you have another Windows Store game or app installed on your PC? For some reason, for me atleast, when it happened on Forza Motorsport7, I would uninstall a random DLC and reinstall it. Then all Windows apps would work. It's a stupid fix but it works.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah try the uninstall/reinstall a random app fix. That seems to fix it a lot of the time.

LOL So I am sitting on the Outpost with the Throne, been here for a bit to finish some business and order pizza for dinner.
FINALLY I see a galleon coming this way, and though of course they could try to kill me at least there was a chance if they could get within horn range....
Then I watched via the spyglass as the Kraken came from nowhere and pulled it down to the locker

Haha, this is amazing

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
k49m4vy2ra411.jpg

The Heape

Oct 27, 2017
I had an interesting encounter doing the thrones last night.

We were in a 3 man galleon sailing around doing the solo thrones and trying to recruit other crews to join us. We had to sink every ship because they weren't receptive to our megaphone or text requests to be friendly.

One basic sloop that we encountered tried to take advantage of a driving error that caused us to crash we sunk them and moved along.

We saw another basic sloop anchored off a small island and we rolled up on them and helped them finish up a low level OoS quest. They jumped on game chat and accepted our offer to do thrones.

After a bit of sailing we offered them all the loot we had gathered from sinking ships unwilling to help. They had confessed to being the sloop that attacked us during our mishap. So good.

After some thrones one of them left and we invited the other to our galleon and did a skull fort. Made a new friend such a good night.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really not a fan of the forcing crews to work together with thrones and hungering deep.
I like more organic situations like forts where there is a risk/reward on cooperating with other crews.

My brother and I went through the entire hungering deep quest, only to get stuck at the last part because, despite hopping through several different servers, we couldn't find another crew to work with.
It really killed my inspiration to even try the thrones event.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am really not a fan of the forcing crews to work together with thrones and hungering deep.
I like more organic situations like forts where there is a risk/reward on cooperating with other crews.

My brother and I went through the entire hungering deep quest, only to get stuck at the last part because, despite hopping through several different servers, we couldn't find another crew to work with.

I'd suggest LFG or one of the various SoT Discords as a place to try and at least find a galleon crew interested in doing those to sail with. All else fails, you can still do the solo thrones - and perhaps on your way around you'll find people who are also doing that that will team up with you.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm very uneasy about the path Rare are taking with this. Interacting with other crews and pirates is one of the game's strengths, but when it's forced it starts to feel artificial and constraining, as well as a huge disincentive for playing alone or when you're not going to be able to give it your full attention. I did the Hungering Deep event on the first day when everyone was doing it, but then tried three further times to get it done a second time with friends before finding enough people that could be bothered to do it again. We practically had to beg someone to help us. I really don't think this is the right direction, to be honest, particularly in the case of this event. Sitting in a chair at the same time as another crew is not cooperation in any meaningful sense, it's just irritating.

Consider the Hungering Deep and the five pirate requirement. Was it really necessary? The advantage of cooperating with other pirates was there anyway: more ships and more pirates makes the fight much easier. If the fight is difficult enough, five pirates could be a requirement because it would be almost impossible to do it otherwise. Alas, instead we had an arbitrary limit that made the quest a pain in the ass to do beyond the first or second day. Furthermore, because no-one has anything valuable on their ship at any point of the quest, you never have to fear any actual piracy or thieving. After playing the Hungering Deep I felt pretty happy with it. As a quest, it is by far the best thing they've done. But actually, thinking back on it, it also represents Rare turning their back on the things that make Sea of Thieves exciting in the first place.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry, you can do half of the thrones on your own. That'll get you enough doubloons to buy two of the cosmetics (hat and jacket or hat and dress?) You'll easily find other crews to help with the other five over the next couple of weeks while you just play the game. I've done the collaborative thrones about four times now just because I've run into people who need help or are already doing them. Only the first time I did them was I actually trying to do them. Every other time it's just been interacting with people at random islands. They should come very organically.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Took me like an hour or more just to find another sloop willing to waste time firing at marauder's hoping to get the perfect shot at the throne. Thats not even counting having to sail across the fucking map just to get there.

Forced cooperation between crews AND being limited time is a shit idea.

And i said with hungering deep, dont make new content limited time thanks.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me like an hour or more just to find another sloop willing to waste time firing at marauder's hoping to get the perfect shot at the throne. Thats not even counting having to sail across the fucking map just to get there.

Forced cooperation between crews AND being limited time is a shit idea.

Have the courtesy to not make everything a limited event.
It sucks but can you image how harder it'd be to find people willing to do it if it wasn't time limited, with it being such a vain shitty experience with little to no reward?

Last edited:

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I do think forced cooperation is the wrong way to go about things. The best thing about skull fortresses is that you don't have do work together so things can fall apart at any point.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks but can you image how harder it'd be to find people willing to do it if it wasn't time limited, with being such a vain shitty experience with little to no reward?

This. They're time limited for a reason. They'll be replaced by other time limited content. They're 'weekly events'. All of the gameplay content in the Hungering Deep is in the main game. It's just the questline and the requirement of gathering five people to find the shark that has gone.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I still dont believe the megalodon should have been limited to begin with but ill give you the benefit of the doubt for skull thrones.

Its hilarious that a more interesting encounter than the kraken is just gone now.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. They're time limited for a reason. They'll be replaced by other time limited content. They're 'weekly events'. All of the gameplay content in the Hungering Deep is in the main game. It's just the questline and the requirement of gathering five people to find the shark that has gone.
Where's the Megadolon tho? Genuine question, I've stopped playing since the last update

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I still dont believe the megalodon should have been limited to begin with but ill give you the benefit of the doubt for skull thrones.

Its hilarious that a more interesting encounter than the kraken is just gone now.

All of the gameplay content from Hungering Deep, including the Meg fight, is going to be in the main game going forward. It was meant to be in the world as an emergant threat (ie, doesn't need summoning) as soon as Hungering Deep went away but they've held it back to fix something. They said it's coming back any time now.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
All of the gameplay content from Hungering Deep, including the Meg fight, is going to be in the main game going forward. It was meant to be in the world as an emergant threat (ie, doesn't need summoning) as soon as Hungering Deep went away but they've held it back to fix something. They said it's coming back any time now.

it'll now be an emergent threat, right, as in you dont have to summon it?

it is kind of a strange decision to make major updates like hungering deep a timed ting. someone jumping into the game late literally misses out on that quest line. strange. why not keep that quest line in - just change the rules slightly to make it doable (remove the two crew requirement).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
it'll now be an emergent threat, right, as in you dont have to summon it?

it is kind of a strange decision to make major updates like hungering deep a timed ting. someone jumping into the game late literally misses out on that quest line. strange. why not keep that quest line in - just change the rules slightly to make it doable (remove the two crew requirement).

I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess those moments are meant to be experienced in the zeitgeist. The other major part of that questline was the speaking trumpet and using it to gather another crew to summon the Meg. So without the co-op requirement there's not a lot to it. I did that questline 2 or 3 times and the actually 'quest' part of it wasn't that interesting. It's the actual content (that is all remaining) that was the good stuff. There's always gonna be a specific event on going forward (either the weeklies or the content expansions) and I presume they want to funnel everyone to be concentrating on those while they're active.

And yeah won't need to summon the Meg. Everything they've said suggests it'll be 'emergent' in the same way the Kraken is.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should absolutely keep the events. Just remove the rewards.

Have merricks questline be modified a bit, have skeleton thrones throughout the world (random spots)

Kraken and meg should drop loot.

As for the coop argument I personally love it. But it could be more interesting if it required 2 crew coop to start/beat, but then it dropped physical rewards.

Not even sloops (unless they are solo) want to cooperate at skull forts any more. Hell if I was in a duo sloop or galleon and we run into some solo dude on a fort you best believe I'm sinking them. Don't wanna split those riches and we can easily do it with 2 people.

But if you force cooperation at the beginning and then see what happens when loot appears, that to me sounds like the best scenario for future events.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was on a galleon today and we approached a sloop player who was at a fort and ended up taking it down together..... uh, after we sunk him once. When he came back said he just wanted the merchant crates out of the loot.

But! We did end up sinking another galleon and sloop that rolled up after our friend came back. Team-ups do happen! Just gotta find the right server/people!

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get this sentiment. Yeah it's not a HUGE boost, but its fairly comparable given the time put in to the thrones. I bought a merchant one and then did some merchant missions. I did 3 merchant missions back to back. Off the top of my head it was 2 gold pigs, 3 black pigs then 2 gold chickens 2 black chickens then 1 gold chicken (I already had it on my boat). Those missions moved the needle (from what I can tell) a little bit less or just about even to what the rep boost gave me, And that was like 2 hours of play or something like that.

Gold is useless in this game once you have decent cosmetics. Rep is the thing that unlocks the cooler stuff.

Reason why I said don't bother using them and saving them is because for the rep you gain you can easy gain that casually between play sessions.

The dubloons however. You can't earn them in normal game time

If they introduce a weekly event where you cant do it or don't have time.
You've got some saved up ready to spend

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wish they left Merrick on Sharkbait. Having an NPC out in the world adds flavor to the game. He could tell some of his tales and be a vendor that exclusively sells various drum skins (like maybe the base sovereign/admiral/sea dog and you still have to go to the other regions for the variants + the usual bilge rat ones) or something

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Just finished all the thrones, I love what Rare is doing with these seasonal missions design.
Looks silly at first but really grows on you as you play, forced coop is also a fantastic idea.
Bring out more and more often please !!
By the way, moved to a beefy PC and this game looks absolutely fantastic at 60fps high/ultra settings.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they left Merrick on Sharkbait. Having an NPC out in the world adds flavor to the game. He could tell some of his tales and be a vendor that exclusively sells various drum skins (like maybe the base sovereign/admiral/sea dog and you still have to go to the other regions for the variants + the usual bilge rat ones) or something
I had hopes before launch there would be random NPC's out in the world. Shame

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Are we expecting an update this week? There's a patch every week right? Maybe Meg coming back...? That was meant to be in last week's update.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think they are bringing Meg back the update where the Thrones end which is a two week run .

They said 'from the next patch' in the Trones patch notes so wondered if that'd be this week? If they keep to a weekly patch schedule?

From the next patch, the surface will be breached by others following in her wake. A new age of predators has dawned and things will never be the same again...

Status
Not open for further replies.