Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Had a really awesome session yesterday using LFG for the first time. Got a small crew together, and found some ships to ally with us against the Skelly ships. We beat the waves, got the commendation, and shared the loot equally with no betrayals- and I was really expecting a betrayal because one member of another ship was suspiciously tending the sails on our ship the whole way back to the outpost.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Great session yesterday. Logged on for some Sloop action with a pal, wrecked the skelly round solo, got all the loot, then a fort turned up so we did that too. Reloaded as a Briggy for some 3 player action, formed an alliance with 3 other vessels, did a wave of skelly ships, got all the loot and betrayed everyone at the end (stole everything) and disbanded from the alliance. The other ships gave chase, sunk them all, another fort popped up, they came again for us (we still had all the previous loot from the skelly ships) Defended and sunk them all again. Finished the fort, headed for an outpost, they had people waiting, killed them all, sunk them AGAIN, cashed in.

Love this game. So many epic moments throughout the day just make for infinite replayability.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played this game with some friends for about 5 hours tonight and completely fell in love with it again.

The alliance system is amazing, it is exactly what the game needed. We met up with another crew at a skeleton fort and decided to team up instead of fighting it out.

They ended up sharing an Athena voyage with us afterwards and we earned 32k gold together. The Athena voyages feel so rewarding and I love that the final voyage mission gives the legendary chest.

Also I met this little kid in the ghost ship and he walked up right in front of me and said "Hello!" with the megaphone. So I pulled out my megaphone and we talked a bit, he said that I was one of the few people that actually responded to him. I told him to go to the skeleton fort to make an alliance, but the skull cloud disappeared before he could make it. The sound ended up glitching and we could hear him in game chat say, "God damnit I can't find my friends!" But we had no way to help him; it was the saddest thing I've ever heard.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
What do people mean by LFG? Did Rare add a Looking For Group feature or are you referring to Discord/other services that aren't part of the game?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What do people mean by LFG? Did Rare add a Looking For Group feature or are you referring to Discord/other services that aren't part of the game?

Xbox/Windows has an LFG system specifically built into it. I use it most days to gather a crew for Sea of Thieves. It works with any Xbox/Windows Store game, no need for Rare to add one to the game. It's awesome!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The Skelton ships appearing between certain dates was a stupid idea. For some unknown reason, every time myself and my buddies get on we end up having something between the 20th and 31st when the date is the 1st.

We even try sailing around to try another another unsuccessfully.

It's put off a couple of my buddies who have the gamepass trial to try this out.

We haven't even been able to pull off regular missions for the past two days due to constantly having our ship attacked by other players when were on an island.

Last edited:

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
The Skelton ships appearing between certain dates was a stupid idea. For some unknown reason, every time myself and my buddies get on we end up having something between the 20th and 31st when the date is the 1st.

We even try sailing around to try another another unsuccessfully.

It's put off a couple of my buddies who have the gamepass trial to try this out.

We haven't even been able to pull off regular missions for the past two days due to constantly having our ship attacked by other players when were on an island.
There is always a skeleton ship area active... 100% of the time.... just in 1 of 3 regions (which they rotate between)

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
How to the sections work? Becuase we sailed from top to bottom and couldn't find the right one? Are they in the corners?
Check the outposts in each region- they'll tell you where and when the ships will be active

For week 2:

Week_2.jpg

Locations:

Shores of Plenty: 1-10, North West of Smuggler's Bay (D2 in the map)
The Ancient Isles: 11-20, West of Sharkbait Cove (E22 in the map)
The Wilds: 21-30, East of Marauder's Arch (Y3 in the map)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How to the sections work? Becuase we sailed from top to bottom and couldn't find the right one? Are they in the corners?

They say where they are on the outposts. West of Smugglers Bay, west of Shark Bait and East of Marauders Arch

Crews in IRL times (BST UK times)

The Wilds (Marauders Arch)

05:00hrs - 09:00hrs

17:00hrs - 21:00hrs

Shores of Plenty (Smugglers Bay)

09:00hrs - 13:00hrs

21:00hrs - 01:00hrs

Ancient Isles (Shark Bait Cover)

13:00hrs - 17:00hrs

01:00hrs - 05:00hrs

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hit Athena level 6 after a lot of chests throughout level 5! Why is that jacket and dress so damn expensive?! I was saving up for ghost hull/sails! Damn!

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time playing SoT because I need to block out a good 2-3 hours to have a proper session which is a rarity in my life atm but I did manage to do all the cursed sails story stuff over the weekend in a couple playthroughs I did it on my own with my son without any sort of guide and it was super satisfying and I just think these little breadcrumbs of lore are the neatest thing. Finding the alchemy shop in the cracks of the mountain was such a neat moment.

I'm going to try to attempt the ship battles this week sometime, anyone know how much longer they are planning to run them as they are?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time playing SoT because I need to block out a good 2-3 hours to have a proper session which is a rarity in my life atm but I did manage to do all the cursed sails story stuff over the weekend in a couple playthroughs I did it on my own with my son without any sort of guide and it was super satisfying and I just think these little breadcrumbs of lore are the neatest thing. Finding the alchemy shop in the cracks of the mountain was such a neat moment.

I'm going to try to attempt the ship battles this week sometime, anyone know how much longer they are planning to run them as they are?

The ship battles are on for another week! Will end next Wednesday (I think?). The crews will switch up this Wednesday so there will be a fresh load of battles with new cursed cannonballs for the final week. They've changed up each week. Enjoy the battles! I'd recommend trying to alliance with another ship if you can - they're tough! You can do some of them alone though. I've beaten a couple of them in a Brigantine with no other ships involved. Just get fully stocked up before taking them on. Make sure you have 100 planks!

Oct 27, 2017
Do any y'all scurvy dogs know when the next maintenance period is? I was thinking id play after work, I get home in about 4 and a half hours for reference

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
So tonight's my last chance to try and smash out the Wilds fight before it's gone! I get home just before 8pm and it ends at 9pm... gonna be lucky to do it! I'm at peace with it though. I've got all of the other commendations (other than the individual crew ones that aren't in yet of course) and have 175 doubloons stockpiled with nothing to spend them on. Don't really need another 5, it's just the conpletionist in me!

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Good luck! I have 390 doubloons now and could spend them on letters of rec to get to pirate legend but...I don't want to feel like i'm "done" (and I don't have much interest in grinding Athena voyages).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck! I have 390 doubloons now and could spend them on letters of rec to get to pirate legend but...I don't want to feel like i'm "done" (and I don't have much interest in grinding Athena voyages).

Yeah, no need to rush it. There's definitely some little endorphin rush missing when you're no longer getting rep for every bit of treasure!

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I've hit PL, Athena 10, and bought every single item in the game... and still enjoy playing almost every night. Really the only thing needed to enjoy the game is a vague goal ("today I'm going to work on my 1000 pig commendation") and then let the game lead you in whatever direction it's going to take you. Never done when there are people to kill and loot to steal

Also: how do you have 390 doubloons?

Four events, 700 total, only 685 available so far
Exclusive cosmetics for events cost 340
Leaving only 345 leftover for hoarding

What cosmetics did you skip?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've hit PL, Athena 10, and bought every single item in the game... and still enjoy playing almost every night. Really the only thing needed to enjoy the game is a vague goal ("today I'm going to work on my 1000 pig commendation") and then let the game lead you in whatever direction it's going to take you. Never done when there are people to kill and loot to steal

Guessing a couple of dresses (if male?). I've got everything but that Wailing Barnacle dress was really not necessary on a male character. Looks almost identical to the jacket. The bone crusher dress looks amazing though!

And yeah, never felt the need to really grind in the game. There's nothing that special to unlock or anything. 95% of my fun with the game has been from experiences and social stuff. It's never really been about grinding to unlock a specific thing or anything. That's why I never understand people's desire for more progression etc. I just feel like that's not the game really...

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

I've bought everything except the dresses (at least, I think those are the only ones I skipped). I'm 50/48/43/1 so enough doubloons to immediately get to PL and have some left over.

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
You monsters skip time exclusive cosmetics even though you have leftover doubloons that can't be spent on anything else?!?

You're insane

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You monsters skip exclusive cosmetics even though you have leftover doubloons that can't be spent on anything else?!?

You're insane

I do agree. But after buying that Barnacle dress, I probably would've saved the doubloons! Joking aside, I always buy all of the cosmetics. I've normally got doubloons left over to just buy them straight away and then I earn extra throughout the event. Figured it's a good way to be in case one of the events I don't have any time to play.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You monsters skip time exclusive cosmetics even though you have leftover doubloons that can't be spent on anything else?!?

You're insane

I did, yes. Originally I was figuring that I'd spend the doubloons on getting to PL but as a few friends got to PL and stopped playing I decided not to do that. And I haven't been interested in buying/wearing the dresses so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Do you need to just complete the battle once in each three regions to get the cursed sails cosmetics for the ship or do you need to do all three battles each week (aka nine battles)?

Oct 27, 2017
Had an interesting exchange last night. We ran into a sloop while we were preparing to do the wilds fleet. They asked if they could join the alliance for the gold share but were going to do voyages themselves and not the skeleton fleet.

We thought who cares we had 2 brigs already headed to the wilds. If they turned in anything while we fought it's just bonus gold. After finishing the fleet we headed back to the outpost to sell. Our other brig left afterwards and we were about to log off too. Saw the sloop headed to our outposts and thought maybe they came to sell what they had..

After docking they gave us a skull fort key that was up during our earlier fight as well as handful of skulls from their voyage. Kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but never did. We turned in what they gave us and went back to the fort to load up. Not sure what they got out of it themselves other than the 50% split but was a cool experience.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Had an interesting exchange last night. We ran into a sloop while we were preparing to do the wilds fleet. They asked if they could join the alliance for the gold share but were going to do voyages themselves and not the skeleton fleet.

We thought who cares we had 2 brigs already headed to the wilds. If they turned in anything while we fought it's just bonus gold. After finishing the fleet we headed back to the outpost to sell. Our other brig left afterwards and we were about to log off too. Saw the sloop headed to our outposts and thought maybe they came to sell what they had..

After docking they gave us a skull fort key that was up during our earlier fight as well as handful of skulls from their voyage. Kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but never did. We turned in what they gave us and went back to the fort to load up. Not sure what they got out of it themselves other than the 50% split but was a cool experience.

Absolutely great. You won! I'm completely loving the alliance system. I've seen criticism of it from some and I just don't get it. In my experience it has removed the 'must shoot first' stage of every encounter and now people will often try dialogue. It can help facilitate allies but always with that hint of danger. In your encounter you were 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' and that's always my experience. Ally with others but always stay vigilant. Sometimes attack them for shits and giggles? It doesn't remove PvP but it encourages more interesting encounters rather than just PvP. I love it.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017

You're insane

If you don't like it, what does it matter? The only items I've spent doubloons on have been the Bone Crusher ship cosmetics. I skipped all of the clothing, because I like what I have and didn't want the Bone Crusher/Wailing gear. I have about 200 doubloons right now, but I've spent the others that I've earned (all of them so far, except 4 commendations from Cursed Sails) on Merchant levels. I'd rather gain levels more easily than waste it on gear that I'll never, ever wear.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind how Rare didn't anticipate the way griefers would be able to exploit Alliances with how overly simplistic they were designed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind how Rare didn't anticipate the way griefers would be able to exploit Alliances with how overly simplistic they were designed.

Of course they anticipated it. 'Griefers' will always exist, it's a pirate game. 'Griefing' is often just picking your time to backstab everyone and take home all the rewards. If you've had a bad experience then I'm sure it sucks but, honestly, when you've planned the perfect coup yourself... it's actually great. Fuck everyone. Sometimes.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't been betrayed yet, but I must say I love the tenuous moments when the fleet is returning to an outpost with a load of loot. Who will betray who? And then the joyous celebrations at the tavern with a mug of grog when the crews are loyal.

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about getting betrayed, don't give a shit about that. I'm talking about the fact anyone can join the alliance and abuse the shit out of it.

You're at a skull fort with an allied crew and someone closes by trying to fuck both of you and since you can't do anything about it they join your alliance so now even if you sink them they'll respawn one or two islands away.

Same if an alliance is selling valuable stuff at an outpost, you just need to get close enough to get a cut of their stuff.

But what made me post that is the fact I was helping a friend get to Legend, as soon as we entered the server a crew reached us to invite us to their alliance, we were 3 ships in total. At one point we were at crooked masts finishing a gold voyage when a galleon tried to blindside us and attack us, I managed to repel them with a gunpowder keg. They survived though so they ended up heading north where the other two ships in our alliance where and of course they sneaked into the alliance and came back to try to fuck with us again.

I managed to sink them this time but it was pretty fucking pointless since they respawned at the nearby outpost. So they continued to follow us for the next 2 hours... at this point it was impossible to try and speak with the other crews about re-forming the alliance because we were all spread out. And even if we did, we had those fuckers on our ass and they'd be able to join again.

Not being able to manage who joins the alliance is so dumb

OmarTheHippo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about getting betrayed, don't give a shit about that. I'm talking about the fact anyone can join the alliance and abuse the shit out of it.

You're at a skull fort with an allied crew and someone closes by trying to fuck both of you and since you can't do anything about it they join your alliance so now even if you sink them they'll respawn one or two islands away.

Same if an alliance is selling valuable stuff at an outpost, you just need to get close enough to get a cut of their stuff.

But what made me post that is the fact I was helping a friend get to Legend, as soon as we entered the server a crew reached us to invite us to their alliance, we were 3 ships in total. At one point we were at crooked masts finishing a gold voyage when a galleon tried to blindside us and attack us, I managed to repel them with a gunpowder keg. They survived though so they ended up heading north where the other two ships in our alliance where and of course they sneaked into the alliance and came back to try to fuck with us again.

I managed to sink them this time but it was pretty fucking pointless since they respawned at the nearby outpost. So they continued to follow us for the next 2 hours... at this point it was impossible to try and speak with the other crews about re-forming the alliance because we were all spread out. And even if we did, we had those fuckers on our ass and they'd be able to join again.

Not being able to manage who joins the alliance is so dumb
Umm

If you take down the "offer alliance" flag, no one can join you. You don't have to leave the offer flag up after you join an alliance. The offer flag can be raised or lowered without affecting currently established alliances. And no one can join you if the offer flag is down

You can't control if your alliance members let other people in, but you can ask them to take the flag down and only let in people they trust

I agree that removing people from an alliance is difficult, but you absolutely can control who joins. People simply don't, because they want everyone to join so they can get free loot and rep for no work. They leave the offer flag up so people will join their gravy train without even stopping to talk or get to know the people they're letting in. Except that has consequences

Last edited:

Deleted member 274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umm

If you take down the "offer alliance" flag, no one can join you. You don't have to leave the offer flag up after you join an alliance. The offer flag can be raised or lowered without affecting currently established alliances. And no one can join you if the offer flag is down

You can't control if your alliance members let other people in, but you can ask them to take the flag down and only let in people they trust

I agree that removing people from an alliance is difficult, but you absolutely can control who joins. People simply don't, because they want everyone to join so they can get free loot and rep for no work. They leave the offer flag up so people will join their gravy train without even stopping to talk. Except that has consequences
That's the thing, those fuckers got in through a different crew that was far away from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.