• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't wait to get back into this for the anniversary update. Might even try a mouse/kb set up too.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of music thing...

anyone else getting weird banjo tunes in the game world? not sure what triggers it, or when it was added, but i only recently(ish) started hearing it.

and we better get that damn banjo on the 20th. perhaps this is just further tease of this instrument.

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
speaking of music thing...

anyone else getting weird banjo tunes in the game world? not sure what triggers it, or when it was added, but i only recently(ish) started hearing it.

and we better get that damn banjo on the 20th. perhaps this is just further tease of this instrument.

I always seem to hear the banjo whenever a Meg is around. Usually during a fight with it and after you kill it if you remain in the area.

Hope they add it as an instrument though!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

come on

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Count me as someone who always loved the game world that Rare created, but honestly I didn't stay too long at launch because I couldn't convince myself or my 3 boys to keep playing a relatively bare game together. Now this update suddenly has me hyped for this as almost a brand new game and one of my more anticipated experiences for sure, as everything sounds amazing and seems to have been received well by the press who were shown things. My boys in particular will absolutely love the fishing mechanics and the new Arena mode because they like PVP, and I will love the new Tall Tales story content. This is really cool stuff!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
we aren't getting the option to play only with others on xbox with the arena update, right? thats going to significantly impact the experience i think (or at least has the potential to)

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to sea the cooking system get a bit deeper. They should have Recipes that call for a mixture of different items cooked to specific temperatures that lead to meals that provide temporary perks.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to sea the cooking system get a bit deeper. They should have Recipes that call for a mixture of different items cooked to specific temperatures that lead to meals that provide temporary perks.

Yeah me too, its the only element of the new update that seems a tad disappointing based on what little was in the trailers and videos and such

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah me too, its the only element of the new update that seems a tad disappointing based on what little was in the trailers and videos and such

Would you say it's... undercooked?

In all seriousness, I can't imagine they'd bother with having such a wide variety of foods and states if they didn't plan on expanding the feature.

They could get really freaky with the recipes- like requiring fresh water (from a storm) , perfectly-cooked rare fish meat (from a fish that burns quickly if you aren't careful), some vomit and a golden chicken. And eating the finished product could give you a temporary increased resistance to gunshots or something.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Would you say it's... undercooked?

In all seriousness, I can't imagine they'd bother with having such a wide variety of foods and states if they didn't plan on expanding the feature.

They could get really freaky with the recipes- like requiring fresh water (from a storm) , perfectly-cooked rare fish meat (from a fish that burns quickly if you aren't careful), some vomit and a golden chicken. And eating the finished product could give you a temporary increased resistance to gunshots or something.
Yup, also boiling ingredients would be cool, and would make sense for veggies etc.

I'm hoping for more "magical" effects like breathing underwater, nightvision and stuff like that. I'm just glad they have their base cooking right, and they can only add more features as time passes.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Sorry for the double post, but can anyone tell me why in the world they haven't added more than one new song in the past year?
They have been teasing (fiddle, banjo) new instruments for ages now, but I can't see why no new songs.

Like this would seem like a no-brainer, but nothing really on this department. They even have songs on jukeboxes that you can't actually play, and why can't you play We shall sail together anywhere else than the outposts, it's weird.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, also boiling ingredients would be cool, and would make sense for veggies etc.

I'm hoping for more "magical" effects like breathing underwater, nightvision and stuff like that. I'm just glad they have their base cooking right, and they can only add more features as time passes.

Yeah I'm especially keen on having magical effects- breathing underwater would be good if the ever decided to have underwater tombs with traps and puzzles as part of the campaign.

Soft enhancements like night vision would be pretty cool to!

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
I think those potions are coming. The shop above the Order of Souls place is available and there's vials of liquid at the bottom of the stairs leading up to it. Didn't a leak pre-release of the game talk about water breathing potions and stuff like that?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think those potions are coming. The shop above the Order of Souls place is available and there's vials of liquid at the bottom of the stairs leading up to it. Didn't a leak pre-release of the game talk about water breathing potions and stuff like that?
yeah they mentioned stuff like old age potions pre-release.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Interview from the stream about the Hunters Call with Rare legend Chris Marlow and senior designer Shelley Preston.

Roldan

Oct 29, 2017
So, uh... Aren't we worried about some of the stuff the anniversary update will bring?

I'm not sure I like the idea of fishing/hunting/cooking... I feel like it adds extra downtime on a game that can be pretty slow already. You already have to stock wood/bananas/cannonballs/gunpowder every time you're on a new ship, and now you'll also have to worry about killing animals and fishing. You could say that's optional and all, but if everyone else is doing it, then that means you're in disadvantage on combat (considering it gives you health regen).

Then there's the harpoon... Which I feel like it'll make some stuff easier, like nabbing treasure from the island or sailing around islands. But it presents some potential issues, too, like, will a sloop have any chance of fleeing from a galleon if it gets harpooned?

Last, but not least, the expanded ship damage. Like the harpoon, I fear that will make the game even less balanced for sloops. I can't see that working very well with a smaller crew (or solo).

What do you guys think? I absolutely love SoT and I'm looking forward for the Arena and stuff, but at the same time I fear the update will cause more harm than good to the game.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
You aren't wrong the new food system worries me as well. I'm pretty sure, that I will miss the simplicity of just having bananas. Now you will have to care about each new food time. Which to pick etc. Might be a nightmare within battle situations.
The harpoon and ship damage on the other hand. I don't think those two will hurt the balance between ships that much. You can stop a harpoon, by breaking the line. A sloop should be able to break it quite easy. Only Solo Sloop, I can see will get worser with these new ship damage.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I'd assume all the food does the same job health wise, but not the same job for the Hunter's/s' Call faction (i.e. they demand you cook X, you better cook X, but you can eat Z or Y to get health). Killing animals isn't going to be too painful if you're on an island looking for chests/skellies/other animals as is. If you can fish from a moving ship, that's a problem solved also.

I am interested in how a sloop will cope with a galleon... but they'd be in trouble unless good anyway.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh... Aren't we worried about some of the stuff the anniversary update will bring?

I'm not sure I like the idea of fishing/hunting/cooking... I feel like it adds extra downtime on a game that can be pretty slow already. You already have to stock wood/bananas/cannonballs/gunpowder every time you're on a new ship, and now you'll also have to worry about killing animals and fishing. You could say that's optional and all, but if everyone else is doing it, then that means you're in disadvantage on combat (considering it gives you health regen).

Then there's the harpoon... Which I feel like it'll make some stuff easier, like nabbing treasure from the island or sailing around islands. But it presents some potential issues, too, like, will a sloop have any chance of fleeing from a galleon if it gets harpooned?

Last, but not least, the expanded ship damage. Like the harpoon, I fear that will make the game even less balanced for sloops. I can't see that working very well with a smaller crew (or solo).

What do you guys think? I absolutely love SoT and I'm looking forward for the Arena and stuff, but at the same time I fear the update will cause more harm than good to the game.

Food is a non issue imo and I think will make the game better. You can still find ready
to eat things such as fruits/coconuts etc. Cooked stuff adds extra health benefits like heal over time and such. There is already a TON of downtime on voyages when you are sailing from point A to B. Usually its passed by jumping off to barrels/islands to gather more suppliers, or just shooting the shit with music/grog/ etc. Now you can actually designate someone to cook the cookable food supplies to give everyone the best health items when they go out. You can also fish while docked at an island and keeping an eye out.

The fishing is also tied to a completely new company so you can just do their voyages for rep/gold.

Harpoons... its too tough to tell how they will act but ti me it seems like an added tool that can end up being used in creative ways. I do share your fear that it makes sloop life harder though. When a galleon can attach itself or do a hairpin turn to catch up that might pose a problem.

Ship damage as well but it can go both ways and I actually think it may even the odds for sloops.

I've been saying since Day 1 that naval battles are won and lost not by what crew is the better at sailing/firing... but by who can board and disrupt most. It is near impossible to sink a competent crew sailing in open water. You HAVE to get someone onboard to disrupt repairs and anchor them. With ship damage, even just bigger holes, you can just be a better sailor and get the most hits and you should win. Boarding will still be big but won't be as REQUIRED as it is now. So now that galleon with the 3 extra crew members can be taken down but sustained fire from a good sloop.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I am a bit worried about the food system. The harpoons, fishing and ship damage seem like fine additions to me.

The fact you can fish, cook food and find different kind of fruits seems good to me, but it shouldn't make the game more 'survival-like' because that would take the pace out of the game.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Any wishes for the next big content update?

Personally I'm wishing for legendary beasts: Boars, Phoenix Birds (?) etc. Something to actually hunt for, that give you a challenge. Also things like ship captaincy with customizable captains quarters and shit like that could be cool.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Any wishes for the next big content update?

Personally I'm wishing for legendary beasts: Boars, Phoenix Birds (?) etc. Something to actually hunt for, that give you a challenge. Also things like ship captaincy with customizable captains quarters and shit like that could be cool.
My #1 wish is still the ability to hide in empty barrels. The shenanigans that would take place...

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
For those still on the fence you can get Xbox Game Pass right now for $1 that includes a 3 month membership.

Sea of Thieves is available through game pass on either PC or Xbox and I can't see a better time than this to jump back in Sea of Thieves. This is what I've always expected from Rare for the longest time and they seem to be delivering at every turn with these new updates.

I highly recommend people give the game a go again. Especially when the anniversary update comes out. I've heard great things. Very great things.

Status
Not open for further replies.