Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just kind of floored something like this is even possible. Curious to see what the guts of it are, I'm guessing the costs of the device aren't in the software but the development of the thing... which I can only imagine must've been quite high.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I really want one of these, but at $300, I am perfectly fine with let others test it out for a year before dipping in.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is very nice news to come home to! I do kinda want the side loader option though.

Side note: I really wish there was more indy development to get the real potential out of 32X and/or CD power combos.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now can someone make a new Atari Jaguar CD retro device?

...Someone?

...Please?

There's actually work being done on Atari Jaguar FPGA cores right now. The Jag CD is much like the PC Engine CD, it's merely a larger storage medium, not like the Sega CD with extra chips. So when Jaguar FPGA cores mature, Jag CD will eventually come.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's actually work being done on Atari Jaguar FPGA cores right now. The Jag CD is much like the PC Engine CD, it's merely a larger storage medium, not like the Sega CD with extra chips. So when Jaguar FPGA cores mature, Jag CD will eventually come.

Oh, I know they're working on it. I just doubt there is enough interest to actually make a console like this...

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought one and am returning the Sega CD I recently got from eBay which has probably lost its value by half lol

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Looks very interesting. I already have the whole Genesis+CD+32X monstrosity, but being able to get rid of the fallible optical drive is very tempting.

What, other than cost, are the downsides to using this thing versus using an actual Sega CD? You lose the audio output ports of the Sega CD, and, unless the special adapter is ever released, 32X/CD games won't work. And others?

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I recall the Turbo version has sound issues and some other things. I wonder if they've solved that for this one.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have the NeoSD pro from these dudes and after playing around with the recent Neo CD support, I'm totally sold on this device. These guys are going next level. Pre-ordered and looking forward to it. And will probably end up selling my Everdrive X7. I don't think there's a reason to keep it at this point.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
It's a visual novel/SRPG hybrid. Think Snatcher with grid battles.

And maybe one day.

Haha. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic. I was more hoping that you'd finish Eternal Punishment first...

I get the vibe that Shadowrun Sega CD hasn't really captured anyone's imagination, so its not exactly a top priority translation. I'll be playing it day one, most likely with this drive emulator.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Haha. Sorry for sounding so pessimistic. I was more hoping that you'd finish Eternal Punishment first...

I get the vibe that Shadowrun Sega CD hasn't really captured anyone's imagination, so its not exactly a top priority translation. I'll be playing it day one, most likely with this drive emulator.
Not really, it's a pretty obtuse game, and it's also a difficult beast to tackle.

Never forgotten though, Esper periodically pecks at it.

It has a really cool story though, and a great vibe. Funny thing, the creator of Shadowrun isn't even aware of it.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
This is a dream addition to the Mega SG, the feature list is astounding! Can't wait to receive it.

In my opinion the price is perfectly reasonable for a full Mega CD FPGA implementation plus all the other featues to boot. An everdrive x7 is ~$150/£130 alone!

Last edited:

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I've gone for it. The store terms are a bit unsettling though!

365 Days Warranty
If a product you purchased from us ceases operation within 365-days of the shipping date, then the defective product can be sent back to us for replacement.
The customer is responsible for the shipping costs to get the product back to us. TERRAONION will only cover shipping costs to ship a replacement product to the customer.
Refunds
Refunds will not be given for items once the order has been processed.
Returns
Items purchased from Terraonion's web shop are not eligible for return.
Package Returns
If your package will be lost by the post service we will neither compensate its price nor send a new package.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The only thing that isn't reasonable is that you have to pay for shipping for a return defective item.
They process payment immediately even though they don't ship for over a month. If you change your mind, your fucked. That isn't reasonable.

Many places will send a replacement for a lost package in the mail since they usually send it insured.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
They process payment immediately even though they don't ship for over a month. If you change your mind, your fucked. That isn't reasonable.

Many places will send a replacement for a lost package in the mail since they usually send it insured.
I don't have a problem being charged for a pre-order, and not being able to cancel it. The lost package bit is if you return it, and it's lost. Which is the part I don't agree with. That means you pay for shipping and insurance. If the package is lost, you have to deal with the insurance claim to be reimbursed. That's the bit I don't think is reasonable.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
Let me explain how the Sega CD actually works - the sega genesis actually has two cartridge slots, a female one on top of the system where carts are normally inserted, and a male one on the side of the console:

Came here to ask how they made an FPGA Sega CD that connected to the top, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I still have my original Genesis, CD, and 32X - never realized the two connectors were basically the same interface or how CD games could "use" the 32X hardware. Still not 100% clear on that :)

Now I'm imagining an alternate history where the Sega CD connected to the top cartridge slot (like a Famicom Disk System) and the 32X, released years later has to stick out of the side/bottom 🤣

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Came here to ask how they made an FPGA Sega CD that connected to the top, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I still have my original Genesis, CD, and 32X - never realized the two connectors were basically the same interface or how CD games could "use" the 32X hardware. Still not 100% clear on that :)

Now I'm imagining an alternate history where the Sega CD connected to the top cartridge slot (like a Famicom Disk System) and the 32X, released years later has to stick out of the side/bottom 🤣

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So if I'm reading this correctly, it doesn't even require a Sega CD unit?
What, other than cost, are the downsides to using this thing versus using an actual Sega CD? You lose the audio output ports of the Sega CD, and, unless the special adapter is ever released, 32X/CD games won't work. And others?

Quoting both these comments because the answer is the same:
Basically, in order for this thing to work, there can't be an actual Sega CD (or other hardware) plugged into the expansion port on the Genesis. The games will try to read from the expansion port and that won't play nicely with the cartridges. That's why it's not compatible with X'Eye/Wondermega or CDX/Multimega. At least with the X'Eye, you also probably won't be able to play Master System games due to a slight difference in behavior on soft reset from Sega-produced units, and the Nomad and 32X don't support SMS mode either, but that's because of pinout restrictions. In those latter 2 cases you can actually do some hardware modifications to the cartridge slot leads to re-enable the support, basically soldering a wire across part of the unit in either case.

It might be possible to overcome the limitation of the X'Eye and CDX hardware with custom bios that tries to get all data related to the Sega CD from the main cartridge slot (and it's possible to distinguish the two, which is how the Sega CD ram cart and the unusual Sega CD game cartridge Flux work), but running the original bios from Sega/Mega CD units is always going to carry that downside because it will default to trying to read from the expansion port if it can detect hardware there. This isn't to say that such a hardware mod is, in fact, impossible, just infeasible -- and not particularly necessary as long as the drive works.

Let me explain how the Sega CD actually works - the sega genesis actually has two cartridge slots, a female one on top of the system where carts are normally inserted, and a male one on the side of the console:

As another note for the edification of the crowd, the expansion port is quite literally the same set of traces as the cartridge port, and there's a reason for that.
There's a piece of hardware called the DS-16 that was designed for demo units / in-store kiosks; the device attaches to the expansion port and has 6 cartridge slots. It was designed to allow the demo unit to have a way to switch between multiple display games without having to have someone come in and swap them out.

I wouldn't say the design of the Sega CD to fit on that port was a matter of serendipity by any means. If anything, it's slightly frustrating that something like the 32X couldn't take advantage of it.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quoting both these comments because the answer is the same:
Basically, in order for this thing to work, there can't be an actual Sega CD (or other hardware) plugged into the expansion port on the Genesis. The games will try to read from the expansion port and that won't play nicely with the cartridges. That's why it's not compatible with X'Eye/Wondermega or CDX/Multimega. At least with the X'Eye, you also probably won't be able to play Master System games due to a slight difference in behavior on soft reset from Sega-produced units, and the Nomad and 32X don't support SMS mode either, but that's because of pinout restrictions. In those latter 2 cases you can actually do some hardware modifications to the cartridge slot leads to re-enable the support, basically soldering a wire across part of the unit in either case.

It might be possible to overcome the limitation of the X'Eye and CDX hardware with custom bios that tries to get all data related to the Sega CD from the main cartridge slot (and it's possible to distinguish the two, which is how the Sega CD ram cart and the unusual Sega CD game cartridge Flux work), but running the original bios from Sega/Mega CD units is always going to carry that downside because it will default to trying to read from the expansion port if it can detect hardware there. This isn't to say that such a hardware mod is, in fact, impossible, just infeasible -- and not particularly necessary as long as the drive works.

As another note for the edification of the crowd, the expansion port is quite literally the same set of traces as the cartridge port, and there's a reason for that.
There's a piece of hardware called the DS-16 that was designed for demo units / in-store kiosks; the device attaches to the expansion port and has 6 cartridge slots. It was designed to allow the demo unit to have a way to switch between multiple display games without having to have someone come in and swap them out.

I wouldn't say the design of the Sega CD to fit on that port was a matter of serendipity by any means. If anything, it's slightly frustrating that something like the 32X couldn't take advantage of it.
Don't forget the original purpose: The MD:FDD

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's hilarious that the most unique ability for this cart is for it to play MegaCD games on a fucking NOMAD. That's legit insane.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be the first megadrive flash cart I've bought since the very first model of the original Everdrive. I just noticed this has savestate support -- when my Mega SD finally arrives, I think I'll write an old school Save State hacking guide, showing people how "rom hacking" was done way back in the 90's before everybody knew how to actually disassemble roms.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will this support multiple .bin (track 1, track 2 etc) with a single .cue file?

a bin is a binary image of an entire CD, bit for bit. The CUE file is meta data about how that binary file is split up into tracks, i.e. the padding between sectors of the CD owing to certain data falling between sector segments. You don't have a binary per track, you have a binary image of the entire CD, which includes all the "tracks" in it at once.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
a bin is a binary image of an entire CD, bit for bit. The CUE file is meta data about how that binary file is split up into tracks, i.e. the padding between sectors of the CD owing to certain data falling between sector segments. You don't have a binary per track, you have a binary image of the entire CD, which includes all the "tracks" in it at once.

There are plenty of multi bin dumps.

Will this support multiple .bin (track 1, track 2 etc) with a single .cue file?

Yes it does.

Last edited:

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Anyone else waiting for their Mega SD to arrive? Seems like Terraonion is having a lot of shipping issues rom their new location.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Still waiting for mine. I think Andorran customs can only handle so many packets a day or something.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still holding off, but just barely. I already had to swap a fuse in my Sega CD, and I'm worried it won't last too too much longer.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine hasn't shipped yet. My Terraonion account still just says Payment Recieved, and I ordered pretty much right away. I don't mind too much as I have a working Sega CD, and this was supposed to be a birthday present but my birthday isn't a month away, but I'm still super anxious. The Analogue Mega SG was one of my favorite purchases of the last several years, and I loved Terraonion's PC Engine Super System SD3, so I'm certain I'm going to go nuts over this.

When it arrives, I have a small topic planned on doing old school Save State hacking like I used to do back around 1999 or so. It'll be neat to do that kind of hacking on a real console.