• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yep, looks like the key to the difficulty is to make sure you explore everywhere to get the weapons you need that are effective for an incoming fight. Sometimes it seems like the mini boss enemy ahead of you is where you need to go, but really there's a side path that leads to a prosthetic that helps with the fight.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodbornes launch thread in the old place was a fucking tour de force at how fast people could post and how quickly mods could change the thread title.
We already got this many pages done in a day pre-release and we haven't come close to any footage of later game bosses hitting the web.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
For those who have the game already, how much does stealth factor into the combat? Do you feel like you are able to get the drop on most enemy encounters?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
These impressions are too hype.... I keep trying not to click on this thread but I keep failing. I'm going to be away from home on business from March 25-30... I was going to try to wait til I got back to get the game but its gonna be soo hard.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
How's the OST?

A worthy follow up to BB and DS3?

What else to expect from Yuka Kitamura? :)
But the style is different. It's more subtle mostly and inspired by traditional Japanese music.

For those who have the game already, how much does stealth factor into the combat? Do you feel like you are able to get the drop on most enemy encounters?

Enemies see and hear stealth kills, so you can't just sneak your way through. It's cool to explore the surroundings silently and eliminate one enemy from the group but you have to fight fairly in general.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
All these comments and impressions of the difficulty giving me anxiety. Also is it still running uncapped without an option to cap it on consoles?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
i am not kidding, this is a masterpiece bar none, there are so many nooks and crannies and different ways and exploration and "minibosses" that kick your ass like no tomorrow till you get the tactic down...this game is completely crazy. it is really like "Ninja Scroll" but as a game. the verticality of the areas is insane. you can feel how much fun they had developing this game.
For me the difficulty is just not fun so far and I've platinumed the previous soulsborne games, they might have gone too far with this.
Coming straight from dmc 5 on DMD, I have to say Sekiro might be the first game that is too hard for me to enjoy. I hope the mechanics start clicking soon. So far, I find it too hard to be fun, which I can not remember happening with any "hard" game I have played (excluding some NES stuff)
Yes, when you start to understand Souls games they are not too hard. You can just play slow and cautiously, grind and even trade blows with some bosses. Although I think some bosses have great challenging gameplay.

Sekiro is pure skill. You can R1 some enemies to death but if you don't learn to deflect and counterattack perfectly you won't come far. I remember showing a friend Ninja Gaiden and I handed him the pad to continue playing. It was a checkpoint with three brown ninjas and obviously he died instantly. Ninja Gaiden punishes mistakes immediately. Soulsborne does it too, but it's much easier to stay in your comfort zone. Sekiro forces you to fight, to react, to "understand' the situation. It reminds me on Ninja Gaiden but even more on Metal Gear Rising when you try to get high rankings. It's amazing. And it carries much more Souls DNA than expected. It's brutal, it's dark, it's mysterious, it's interesting and it makes me really curious what comes next, gameplay- and story-wise.
Ok, so after playing a solid 2 hours, I gotta say Sekiro is the real deal and it's atmosphere is extremely Soulsbourne. It's impeccable. I've played and beat Demons Souls, all three Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Ninja Gaiden Black, Nioh, you name it I played and beat it. No joke, Sekiro feels harder than every single one of them. And it's all because the window of time you have to decide block, dodge or jump away is miniscule compared to all the others. This is absolutely one of the most difficult games I've ever played. Maybe there will be skills or items later to soften the difficulty, but the opening hours are brutally rough and far harder than any of the opening hours of the other games. It's that crazy. Anyway..... Loving it lol

this game man, just wow. I think I'm ready to say it now; this is the best game From has ever made.

the world design, combat loop, player progression, atmosphere, it's all fucking impeccable.

Miyazaki is next level.

I can't wait for more people to play this masterpiece.

tumblr_o4amo80bOw1tqyfyuo1_400.gif

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
There are more checkpoints than in any other From game and only a few mandatory fights between checkpoints. Dying doesn't hurt as much as in the Soulsborne series.

But it's still extremely hard. I have the Demon's and Bloodborne platinum. I finished Dark Souls a hundred times. I love challenging games, love Ninja Gaiden Vanilla, love parrying in Rising, love dashing last-moment in Platinum games. And I'm not sure if I'm able to beat this. And that's a great feeling somehow. Haha. (But seriously, I need to beat this. It's just too good.)

Man. This game might be too hard for me. Still gonna give it a good go, but this sounds brutal, considering it's coming from a diehard Souls vet.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Aye... Masterpiece claims coming through. So hyped hnghhh.

And still we have no real insights into the game beyond the first few areas.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Enemies see and hear stealth kills, so you can't just sneak your way through. It's cool to explore the surroundings silently and eliminate one enemy from the group but you have to fight fairly in general.

Are you able to "reset" the alert in a sense, like swoop in and stealth kill someone and then swoop out and wait until it calms down? Or are you kind of locked in once you've alerted enemies?

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is the same argument for "difficulty options" in their previous games. I don't think they are actually chasing AAA numbers either where they need to sell 8 million for it to be considered "a success". It also didn't stop Bloodborne, which was a PS4 exclusive from being wildly popular either...

again, this's absolutely not the same argument. their previous games all included the ability to summon help. which's why i specifically referred to off-line, single-player action games - a category that doesn't include souls games, but, for the most part, does include difficulty levels...

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth kills can give you a free life-bar worth of damage to Mini-bosses and instantly kill the regular enemies, i think that's pretty good incentive to go down that path and the skill tree seems pretty accommodating. I don't think stealth only runs are gonna be a thing the first time through but getting out of dodge and hiding and then getting the drop on unsuspecting enemies is the breather people need to not feel utterly crushed by fierce combat encounters.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Member when like 20% of the fromsoft fans were actually questioning whether this would be good?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Are you able to "reset" the alert in a sense, like swoop in and stealth kill someone and then swoop out and wait until it calms down? Or are you kind of locked in once you've alerted enemies?
There is a skill that does exactly that.
A skill that uses resources that turns a execution kill into a cloud of red smoke and all enemies that were alerted lose sight of you

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man. This game might be too hard for me. Still gonna give it a good go, but this sounds brutal, considering it's coming from a diehard Souls vet.
I don't that think that means much, really. I'd honestly heed what a Ninja Gaiden vet would have to say in comparing the two over a Souls vet. I keep watching more and more footage, and like a good character action game, the combat seems more fighting game like, as NG/NGB did, than anything else. Pure skill.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
again, this's absolutely not the same argument. their previous games all included the ability to summon help. which's why i specifically referred to off-line, single-player action games - a category that doesn't include souls games, but, for the most part, does include difficulty levels...

Except that it is the same argument. They already had soft difficulty sliders, but that didn't prevent thread after thread popping up about how the games were "too hard" and "hurt sales overall" and how adding start screen difficulty options wouldn't hurt anyone.

The only real difference here is that this game is simply harder in comparison.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of the preview videos from different souls youtubers mentioned how the game is going to seem hard for souls vets until they get used to not approaching the combat in the same way you do previous games.

I wonder how many of the difficulty claims in this thread, for example, are as a result of people not doing this?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like From is purposefully putting minibosses in bad places.

how the fuck am I supposed to fight the centipede in a 4 meter locked room?

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin

You can do that but it takes some time, you need a lot of distance between yourself and the enemies and it's obviously not intended.

EDIT: Okay, I don't have many stealth skills yet. Maybe later it's a valid strategy.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Stealth kills can give you a free life-bar worth of damage to Mini-bosses and instantly kill the regular enemies, i think that's pretty good incentive to go down that path and the skill tree seems pretty accommodating. I don't think stealth only runs are gonna be a thing the first time through but getting out of dodge and hiding and then getting the drop on unsuspecting enemies is the breather people need to not feel utterly crushed by fierce combat encounters.
Alright, thanks for the answers guys!

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I know everyone is hyped and all. But labeling it the best From game ever after a couple hours of gameplay?

tumblr_m26o3n7HCH1qa9yvvo1_500.gif

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's really funny thinking about the chronology of the mechanics and their difficulty in these games:

Souls games = you can dodge block and parry. But everyone just blocks, so then....

Bloodborne = you can dodge or parry. But everyone just dodges, so then....

Sekiro = you must parry.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is hyped and all. But labeling it the best From game ever after a couple hours of gameplay?

tumblr_m26o3n7HCH1qa9yvvo1_500.gif

This has been pretty much each new game since Dark Souls 2. Yes, even that game was being called "the best game yet" during the first week by the less critical. You know, that new FROM scent? Regardless, the game is still likely going to be one of the best of the gen anyway.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
EZA about to stream the first 2 hours, let's see how impossible this game is gonna be for me haha

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't that think that means much, really. I'd honestly heed what a Ninja Gaiden vet would have to say in comparing the two over a Souls vet. I keep watching more and more footage, and like a good character action game, the combat seems more fighting game like, as NG/NGB did, than anything else. Pure skill.
There is skill but there are also tools that help much more than just going in sword and parry only. The ways things get easier in this game seem to be about having the right tool like the axe for shield enemies. That's stuff people can miss, which brings in the obscure factor in souls games, for when you know the tips and tricks they help out immensly. The badass guys going in like parry gods will get rewarded faster but exploration and finding out secret areas and items is a way to get stronger in a sense you gain more abilites and options. Giving up before you even try once isn't much of a try, when the weak among us might have ways to gain an edge like going stealth and this game's main mechanic of resurrecting on the spot. People will find ways to "cheese it" so long as there is a will, and tenacity.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these impressions are great. I've been saying for a while how this could very well be from's best game. the grappling mechanic and actual verticality in the level design just looked way too good.

Deleted member 12100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, i´ve had the "dark souls effect": was lying in bed, thinking about the areas and started the game again to really find another way that i thought of when going through the areas in my mind. crazy shit ;-)

so, i need to go to sleep now, my eyes are tired as fuck, was a long session

What?!? What are you doing? Get back in there. You have to persevere, because most of us can't ... yet.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the difficulty impressions are really bad this time. I'm hearing souls veterans not enjoying the game thanks to the hard enemies.
Having that in mind, maybe this will hurt sales this time? And not having any multiplayer component helps a lot!

Last edited:

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't even beat fucking Hollow Knight. What am I thinking with this shit?

This is gonna be a bucket list type game, no way I'm beating it in the next year.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I hope there's atleast one insanely epic boss theme. I don't think traditional Japanese Inspired music usually does not go for epic but I know Yuka Kitamura could do it if she wanted to.

I'm glad it's more difficult though. I thought it was gonna be easier

Status
Not open for further replies.