• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A couple of the preview videos from different souls youtubers mentioned how the game is going to seem hard for souls vets until they get used to not approaching the combat in the same way you do previous games.

I wonder how many of the difficulty claims in this thread, for example, are as a result of people not doing this?
If this is true I can't get over this, considering how out of the way FROM and impressions have went to emphasize this is NOT souls.

Yeah and that feeling only matters when I get to the end and still feel the same way. Those are the real keepers.
Yeah this. Saying this without even experiencing the end is a bit silly. What if it falls off a cliff at the end (I doubt it)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true I can't get over this, considering how out of the way FROM and impressions have went to emphasize this is NOT souls.

Sure, except many of us have been saying for a while that it's still going to share a lot of the same elements, and still have that distinct "it's a FROM game" identity. The combat has changed, but many of the other aspects would be very familiar. The differences are more drastic than going from any of the "Souls" games to Bloodborne though.

This was from VG247:

It feels as though there's plenty here to excite and interest even the most seasoned Souls veteran, and the unabashedly Japanese setting (complete with Japanese voice work) means there's a significantly different flavor, too. In other ways it's very familiar. You meet your weapon and health upgrading NPCs early on, and boy – these are the Souls tropes. The game seems to know it and own it, however.

It says a lot about the FromSoftware formula that despite all these differences Sekiro still very much feels cut from the same cloth as most of their other games over the last decade. Because of that I imagine it'll struggle to convert those who bounced off Souls previously – but if you're hungering for a new title in that vein and are sick of hoping and praying for a Bloodborne 2 or Dark Souls 4, Sekiro definitely looks like it'll scratch that itch.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been this hyped for a game since MGSV.

This week feels like it's dragging on and on.
Ive definitely learnt my lesson from RDR2 lol... I was sooooo fucking excited for that game I got legit mad anxiety. I got the DDL ps4 version of the game, and went out for a joint smoke like 15 minutes before it unlock... It felt like 1 minute was fucking 2 hours lol.So I stopped looking at the clock, I ended up waiting as I smoked my joint came back in the house and set down and realized I was out their for like 40 minutes and it was 25 minutes past 12.. LULUL I couldn't believe the game was unlocked for like 30 minutes. I think it was the weed though. LOL But the whole week before that game was fucking brutal. Im really excited for this but I learned their is just no reason to get that excited about anything... Not that RDR2 wasn't worth the wait either loved it completely... singleplayer anyway.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the fact that i have yet to get my shipping info from gamestop, only reason i ordered from them is for the collector edition.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the game yesterday, but went to sleep after that. I'll be busy in the next 3 hours before I'll be finally able to play it.

I'm going pretty much blind aside from opening area.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love love love souls games but i hate the bosses and always do they co-op. i'm worried they'll be even harder in this game and i will get stuck.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Forgive me if it's been mentioned - haven't seen it here yet, any word on the auto-hide HUD options? If it's anything like DS3 (immediately fade out when not in combat/in menus) I'd be happy.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing on PS4 Pro and I played for about 2 hours last night. I'm usually very lenient with framerate, I just don't pay attention to it a lot as long as I'm enjoying the game and while there were dips here and there, it didn't distract me from the game. I certainly didn't see any dips below 30 or whatever just yet.

Otherwise the game is fucking amazing. I beat the first mini-boss after the tutorial and had to stop to go to sleep after he kicked my ass more times than I'd like to admit. Parrying him was completely different than the regular mobs before him.

The world design is stellar. Something that's usually disregarded is the background design of the world in the souls games but Sekiro has it spades. All the temples with their tiled roofs and snow ridge mountains really sell the sengoku era Japan. Especially near the Temple, where I noticed that they don't blur the far off objects in the backgrounds like they did in DS1. There is nice tranquility to it that really sells that this is a place to rest away from the fighting and killing.

I am still getting used to Sekiro's movements though. I'm not sure if I'm just so used to the soulsborne games or if it's because I've been on a DMC 5 binge but they have a weird floatiness to them. This only applied outside of combat and particularly when I'm trying to jump/climb over buildings. In combat and when I'm in stealth the controls are great.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
any impressions on Xbox One X performance? I prefer the dual shock for these games but if the X has a big advantage I'll get it there

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Except that it is the same argument. They already had soft difficulty sliders, but that didn't prevent thread after thread popping up about how the games were "too hard" and "hurt sales overall" and how adding start screen difficulty options wouldn't hurt anyone.

The only real difference here is that this game is simply harder in comparison.

again, you're deliberately ignoring the online element. i'm not talking 'soft difficulty sliders'. i'm talking about being stuck on a boss, & being able to summon help from someone who could literally beat the boss for you, allowing you to continue on...

the real difference here is not that this game is simply harder. the real difference here is that, unlike the souls games, it's off-line. &, in a challenging action game, where a tough to beat boss can block any further progress, that's truly a major difference...

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm playing on PS4 Pro and I played for about 2 hours last night. I'm usually very lenient with framerate, I just don't pay attention to it a lot as long as I'm enjoying the game and while there were dips here and there, it didn't distract me from the game. I certainly didn't see any dips below 30 or whatever just yet.

Otherwise the game is fucking amazing. I beat the first mini-boss after the tutorial and had to stop to go to sleep after he kicked my ass more times than I'd like to admit. Parrying him was completely different than the regular mobs before him.

The world design is stellar. Something that's usually disregarded is the background design of the world in the souls games but Sekiro has it spades. All the temples with their tiled roofs and snow ridge mountains really sell the sengoku era Japan. Especially near the Temple, where I noticed that they don't blur the far off objects in the backgrounds like they did in DS1. There is nice tranquility to it that really sells that this is a place to rest away from the fighting and killing.

I am still getting used to Sekiro's movements though. I'm not sure if I'm just so used to the soulsborne games or if it's because I've been on a DMC 5 binge but they have a weird floatiness to them. This only applied outside of combat and particularly when I'm trying to jump/climb over buildings. In combat and when I'm in stealth the controls are great.

Good stuff!

Was your Pro particularly loud?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
aEZphLr.jpg

Really feeling the From hype now. Preload done, I'm ready for Japan VPN shenanigans later, give it to me!

12.3 GB seems kinda small, how does that compare to something like DS3?

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, with now-conflicting reports about PS4 Pro performance, I'm actually starting to feel a bit better about getting this for PS4 Pro.

Still think I'll wait for more solid analysis but hoping I can get the game on Friday... Really just waiting on a definitive technical rundown of performance.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ive definitely learnt my lesson from RDR2 lol... I was sooooo fucking excited for that game I got legit mad anxiety. I got the DDL ps4 version of the game, and went out for a joint smoke like 15 minutes before it unlock... It felt like 1 minute was fucking 2 hours lol.So I stopped looking at the clock, I ended up waiting as I smoked my joint came back in the house and set down and realized I was out their for like 40 minutes and it was 25 minutes past 12.. LULUL I couldn't believe the game was unlocked for like 30 minutes. I think it was the weed though. LOL But the whole week before that game was fucking brutal. Im really excited for this but I learned their is just no reason to get that excited about anything... Not that RDR2 wasn't worth the wait either loved it completely... singleplayer anyway.
fuck. you nailed how i felt about rdr2 pre-launch to the T. that entire week was so intense, i'd spend hours just sitting in the spoiler thread looking for and talking about leaked gameplay. i was fucking counting the seconds until the game would unlock like a tool, lol. the final ten seconds felt so surreal and legitmately disorientating. i was like"i'm actually going to be playing the sequel to one of my favourite game ever". fuck, i wish the game lived up to the hype. i've learned to keep my expectations in check after all that. sekiro genuinely looks great and i've been on a media blackout ever since the e3 trailer so i'm really hoping to be blown away. bloodborne is still the GOAT and ds3 was solid so i've got utter faith in From.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Game unlocks in 9 hours, but dammit I got nightshift today, so I can only play this in around 19 hours...

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I am just glad I am kinda immune to bad framerates. Never had any issues with Bloodborne or other games that supposedly had shit performance.
Yeah I'm the same. I can notice when frames dip badly but I'm just not that sensitive to it as other people are. Plus, there's always the hope that From releases more patches soon to smooth some areas out.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am just glad I am kinda immune to bad framerates. Never had any issues with Bloodborne or other games that supposedly had shit performance.

Bloodborne was perceptible to me and occasionally annoying, but I still played and beat it 5 times and Platinumed it. The odd framepacing of that game did sometimes make me feel like it wasn't properly handling my dodges and gun parties from time to time, though, and that could at times result in me feeling like technical hiccups were to blame rather than my skill. Still, I love that game.

Sekiro seems to aim for 60fps and reports seem all over in its ability to achieve that. Bloodborne had a 30fps lock with very occasional dips below and frequent framepacing oddities.

I tend to feel like wildly fluctuating framerate that's missing an intended upper target tends to feel much more disruptive to frame times and control response than a relatively locked rate with occasional judder.

And Sekiro's design seems to try and use its higher framerate target to increase the precision of its even more action oriented gameplay, and I do worry that it will feel like the technical performance is undermining the experience even worse.

Actual framerate analysis is badly needed.

I won't pass on Sekiro entirely if console performance is lackluster, but it will be considerable time before I have a gaming PC to play on.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I honestly forgot this was coming out. I loved blood borne but never beat it because other games came out at the time. Is this game more linear than Bloodborne? It seems that way from the previews

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Same here. I'm wondering how some of these people even play on consoles with how badly they want 60fps

I don't even recall frame pacing being a thing that was described by anyone until this gen. Everyone just started rolling with it.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly forgot this was coming out. I loved blood borne but never beat it because other games came out at the time. Is this game more linear than Bloodborne? It seems that way from the previews

I haven't played yet, but quotes from Miyazaki make it sound like it's actually less linear than most Souls games.

Mr. Miyazaki:
Hidetaka Miyazaki said:
If we were to make a comparison... The world structure [of Sekiro] is closest to Dark Souls 1, in that we have multiple interconnected environments that all have multiple paths to get to eachother... Additionally, there's not just one path to take. The player will find several areas, and get to make a choice of which one they want to go to first, and have agency on how they go through the game.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
9 hours??!! Thought this launched on the 22nd?

Bah, got excited. Steam says 1 day 10 hours. Meh

It does unlock on 22nd on the clock, though it's the japanese clock. I won't preload, I can just download this in a few minutes once I'm back tomorrow, that will take less time than to actually decrypt it.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did this have hdr on consoles? Seems no hdr on pc version.

Have tomorow off from work and don't know if I should use vpn and play it on PC or get this on PS4 in the morning from store.

Hard decisions.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm so I need some help. My Steam store is US and I foolishly bought a game yesterday so I cannot change it to the JPN store to unlock early. I actually have a JPN IP so no need for a VPN but it seems like since I bought the game off the US store it won't unlock in the 9 hours...
Any tips guys?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Is Sony's share play still a thing? And does this game support it? I have a friend who is going to get this, I'd like to try his copy before I buy it, but he lives about 50 minutes away.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It does unlock on 22nd on the clock, though it's the japanese clock. I won't preload, I can just download this in a few minutes once I'm back tomorrow, that will take less time than to actually decrypt it.
Damn I forgot about this. How long approximately are we talking to decrypt a 12GB file? I was planning to use free tunnelbear and I can only download 500MB through that.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Seems no hdr on pc version.

Pretty sure I saw an HDR option on EZA stream . Unless they weren't playing PC .

My question is does it really not have Ultra wide support ?

Edit: Yeah HDR on PC is listed in Sound and Display, not Graphics Settings.

and no ultrawide. Answered myself lmao hopefully this helps someone else

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.