• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So steam seems to imply it unlocking at noon on the 22nd(est) at the moment, does that for sure mean no midnight unlock or could that change tomorrow sometime? Was really hoping to get some play time in Friday morning

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is hyped and all. But labeling it the best From game ever after a couple hours of gameplay?

tumblr_m26o3n7HCH1qa9yvvo1_500.gif
Nothing wrong with that. I labelled BotW as a milestone in gaming and possibly game of the generation, nay, game of all time, after just a few hours of play.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just wanted to write an update in regards to the difficultly of Sekiro after a few more hours with the game. Yes in general it's still difficult, however, the world design is actually far more open ended than I was previously led to believe. The level design is super similar to Bloodbourne and the Souls series, but it seems like the multitude of branching paths really dictate what sort of challenge you'll be presented with. So what one player may come across as an insurmountable enemy in the early stages may actually be something they should probably just return to. There are abilities and skills that DRASTICALLY aid battle progress. Finding and unlocking these are so damn important in Sekiro, more so than previous From Software titles. I don't doubt the inevitable speed runners will be able to get by with the bare minimum, but for the rest of us plebs I implore you all to survey the surroundings and find everything you possibly can to help you progress!!!!

I think it's obviously too early to call which game is the toughest of them all, but after beating my head against certain bosses and encounters I've found my groove and I can't say that Sekiro is definitively harder than the rest. It's just that the early game of Sekiro really pits you up against some brutal foes until you find their weaknesses. That said, this game is fucking unbelievably good. The world is horrific and beautiful all at the same time just like Bloodbourne. The variety of locales, atmosphere and encounters are frightening. The characters movement and game play is spot on. I absolutely love the ability to grapple around and it adds a lot of extra options to getting in and out of predicaments. This such a damn treat and I can't wait to see what else in store.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shitting myself with these impressions. I'm excited that people love it, but I'm terrified it'll be the From game that defeats me. I've beaten all Souls games, Bloodborne and The Surge (I know that's not From), but damn if I'm not nervous, lol.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to write an update in regards to the difficultly of Sekiro after a few more hours with the game. Yes in general it's still difficult, however, the world design is actually far more open ended than I was previously led to believe. The level design is super similar to Bloodbourne and the Souls series, but it seems like the multitude of branching paths really dictate what sort of challenge you'll be presented with. So what one player may come across as an insurmountable enemy in the early stages may actually be something they should probably just return to. There are abilities and skills that DRASTICALLY aid battle progress. Finding and unlocking these are so damn important in Sekiro, more so than previous From Software titles. I don't doubt the inevitable speed runners will be able to get by with the bare minimum, but for the rest of us plebs I implore you all to survey the surroundings and find everything you possibly can to help you progress!!!!

I think it's obviously too early to call which game is the toughest of them all, but after beating my head against certain bosses and encounters I've found my groove and I can't say that Sekiro is definitively harder than the rest. It's just that the early game of Sekiro really pits you up against some brutal foes until you find their weaknesses. That said, this game is fucking unbelievably good. The world is horrific and beautiful all at the same time just like Bloodbourne. The variety of locales, atmosphere and encounters are frightening. The characters movement and game play is spot on. I absolutely love the ability to grapple around and it adds a lot of extra options to getting in and out of predicaments. This such a damn treat and I can't wait to see what else in store.
I'm more nervous about the freaky shit down the line than the skill it takes to overcome them.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018

Yeah I just watched the Giant Bomb first look and it seems that exploration is being heavily encouraged by providing tools that make defeating enemies significantly easier. Sounds cool to me.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I remember people saying that Bloodborne's beginning was pretty hard, but when I first played it I thought it was actually fairly easy (or at least balanced). Not to brag or anything but I'm curious how I'll fare here amidst these impressions.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
So how bad is sekiro on base ps4? I would like to play that for the plat but if PC is going to be that much superior I might buckle on dropping that ritual.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm streaming right now on Xbox one X I'm greenlighted by Activision come say hello!

Mixer.com/ATOMICJORGE just starting now

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I remember people saying that Bloodborne's beginning was pretty hard, but when I first played it I thought it was actually fairly easy (or at least balanced). Not to brag or anything but I'm curious how I'll fare here amidst these impressions.

The early difficulty was determined by your weapon.

Threaded Cane = hard mode.
Hunter's Axe = easy mode.

The axe trivialized so much of the early portions of the game that I didn't understand what all of the complaints about Gascoigne being ridiculously hard were about. I actually got him to a third of his health before he even fully transformed due to the axe. It was only a few hits after that and he was dead. It wasn't until the next playthrough, with a different weapon that I learned full well how bad that fight could be if you fought him down below and with the camera locked on.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
I want this so bad but I have a wedding to save for and I never really finish these games so it seems like a waste. The impressions are hype though.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

The axe trivialized so much of the early portions of the game that I didn't understand what all of the complaints about Gascoigne being ridiculously hard were about. I actually got him to a third of his health before he even fully transformed due to the axe. It was only a few hits after that and he was dead. It wasn't until the next playthrough, with a different weapon that I learned full well how bad that fight could be if you fought him down below and with the camera locked on.

I did use the axe. That said I couldn't beat Gascoigne normally without parrying. He was one of 2-3 bosses in the game that I actually needed to parry.

The rest of the game though was still OK though with normal enemies, IMO the bosses were a different story. I used the greatsword throughout the game.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nothing wrong with that. I labelled BotW as a milestone in gaming and possibly game of the generation, nay, game of all time, after just a few hours of play.

Yeah this would be why developers focus on making the first hours of their game mechanically satisfying then letting it slowly taper off into a long repetitive grind without a satisfying conclusion. I knew gamers didn't take into account the whole experience but I didn't realise it was this bad.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
There is a skill that does exactly that.
A skill that uses resources that turns a execution kill into a cloud of red smoke and all enemies that were alerted lose sight of you

That is great to hear, thank you for this info! I'm a huge stealth fan, and as much as I love the soulsbornes, this seems to be my Tenchu remake whether intended or not (I know it's not exactly that of course but still damn it)!!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this would be why developers focus on making the first hours of their game mechanically satisfying then letting it slowly taper off into a long repetitive grind without a satisfying conclusion. I knew gamers didn't take into account the whole experience but I didn't realise it was this bad.
Have you never read a book, seen a movie, played a game that makes you go, okay this is something special within the early pages/minutes?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Japanese Darkfantasy Swordcombatgame. JDFSCG. pronounced "juh-doofs-cog"

Hey ya'll realise that initial question wasn't asked sincerely, but was in fact being nominated as contender for most tiresome subject on earth? What genre has a new word latched onto it every time another entry is released? You're just supposed to leave it as is....

Have you never read a book, seen a movie, played a game that makes you go, okay this is something special within the early pages/minutes?

Of course and it's perfectly fine to feel and express that, but I certainly wouldn't be coming out to declare it's the greatest work of all time before I've even finished it, let alone progressed more than a few hours.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hey ya'll realise that initial question wasn't asked sincerely, but was in fact being nominated as contender for most tiresome subject on earth? What genre has a new word latched onto it every time another entry is released? You're just supposed to leave it as is....
I think they were just having a little fun...

Oct 27, 2017
Wow based on some of the comments in the last couple pages, it looks like Activision has really delivered a classic here.
gotta say it really grinds my gears when ppl say this stuff... shitivison just published the game... FROM are the masters here... it would have been made regardless if they published it or not. From what I read Activison only added the subtitle to the game, FROM was just gonna call it Sekiro... they had no other say it its development.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
gotta say it really grinds my gears when ppl say this stuff... shitivison just published the game... FROM are the masters here... it would have been made regardless if they published it or not. From what I read Activison only added the subtitle to the game, FROM was just gonna call it Sekiro... they had no other say it its development.
Without the subtitle the entire premise of the game unravels. /s

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless that guy is a known Activision shill or something, I thought he was pretty obviously joking.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, but you know if the ending of the book (or game, or film) is bad, it somehow retroactively ruins the entire experience of everything that led up to it though right?

/s

Alternatively, you can tell whether or not something has a good gameplay loop early on, but that doesn't mean it's going to be good enough for the entire playthrough. Conversely, some games might start out seemingly weak or offputting, only to truly blossom closer towards the middle sections. The way someone feels about a game is obviously going to be subjective, but sometimes it seems like some people will stick with their initial reaction, all the way until the very end, even if what they are saying doesn't really hold up under scrutiny. I usually don't let myself get influenced by hype in launch threads, and especially after Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne (really liked, but didn't love either), I've become even more tempered than I previously was, but I am not worried in the slightest about Sekiro in either direction. Like at all.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seems you didn't realize I wasn't being serious about it.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Watched the GB Quick Look, maaaan this looks so good. Anyone know what time Steam unlocks on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.