• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
2018 doesn't seem plausible because nothing resembling Navi will be ready this year. 2019 on other hand is a lock, Ryzen 2, Navi and 7nm process are all expected next year.

Can't wait for consoles to step out of the dark ages of 30fps gaming.

Unless it's a custom Navi chip that they've been working on in secret.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Why launch a new console when games like Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima will launch after then ? Makes no sense and stupid business decision.

Feb 10, 2018
If sony does release a year before ms it would be wise for ms to release different versions of games for the 1X.
Like how forza horizon 2 was done by a different team for the 360.
It would be interesting to see the difference between a PS5 exclusive and a 1X exclusive.
I mean Nintendo did it with the new 3DS.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
I was firmly in the 2020 camp, but late 2019 now appears more realistic. Allows them to max out PS4 and launch PS5 with updated titles like TLoU2, Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding.

If PS5 is 2020, that would mean Sony need to announce a bunch of new titles/IP's for PS4 this E3. Some of course would be cross-gen, but it seems what we know of now, is the last wave of PS4 AAA 1st party announcements

PS5 won't release before 2020. It makes no sense from the economic perspective to cut off the cashflow from a product that is selling so well like the PS4 right now.
Ideally you launch a replacement model at the peak of the current model. After PS5 launches they'll still be selling PS4 for many years.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
This part I don't believe. If true, we should have gotten much better info than these vague leaks.

They could have imposed stronger NDAs this time round preventing leaks. It must have been hell for Sony last time with the prototype controller leaking before e3.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
If sony does release a year before ms it would be wise for ms to release different versions of games for the 1X.
Like how forza horizon 2 was done by a different team for the 360.
It would be interesting to see the difference between a PS5 exclusive and a 1X exclusive.
I mean Nintendo did it with the new 3DS.
Spencer did say all your games would work either way, so they can't make the software run only on a certain model. Unless he used some type of masterful spin that would let him get away with 1X exclusives. But then the backlash.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Can someone who bought that article tell me if they confirmed if it would be PS5 or PSV like MGSV

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Author suggests 2018 release of PS5 is not out of the question based on the amount of devkits released

giphy.gif

Not a chance in any way, shape or form is the PS5 coming out this year. End of next year at the absolute best.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People think that PS4 Pro will delay PS5 release? I don't think so, Pro is not a mid-gen console, it's just a boosted version of PS4.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
No way that 2018 prediction will turn out to be true; expecting 2019/2020 with a similar rollout like the PS4 (announce event, full blowout at E3, launch in November)

And the biggest question remains unanswered: who will step into the footsteps of Antonio Banderas?
I am too expecting 2019 or 2020 for launch of Sony's next generation PlayStation system. However, I do not think an announcement/reveal is out of the question during Sony's FY 2018 (ending March 31, 2019).

Feb 10, 2018
Spencer did say all your games would work either way, so they can't make the software run only on a certain model. Unless he used some type of masterful spin that would let him get away with 1X exclusives. But then the backlash.

I dont think there would be much of a backlash if there was also a version for the base X1.
Nintendo just made some games flat exclusives for the new 3DS and there was not much of a backlash.
I think Xbox fans would actually like to see what the 1X can do not shackled to the base.
It could possibly even be on the same disc and just install a different version to the 1x and base x1.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They probably got the dev kits out so early so that they have some gameplay to show when they have their unveil event. With PS4 this strong you have to have some content to show when you come out.

The only thing that could happen 2018 is a quick, we are working on something comment at e3 or psx. Maybe a quick... The strongest console ever built remark to get attention away from X

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
But what will that support look like? If it's anything like the last years of support for the PS3 or the 3DS, no thanks.

Not likely. The PS4 is a bigger seller and more generally console than those two, and it will almost certainly have a vastly smoother transition to its successor, with full BC that will likely add improvements. I expect to see plenty of simpler games (remasters especially) released on the PS4 with patches for PS5 BC, far easier than making entirely different versions of a game for PS3 and PS4 or 3DS and Switch. It will also be able to drop much further in price compared to PS3, leading to a huge global install base. Not to mention the possibility of a much smaller model in a few years that could make in more popular in Japan and guarantee Japanese support for ages.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I am too expecting 2019 or 2020 for launch of Sony's next generation PlayStation system. However, I do not think an announcement/reveal is out of the question during Sony's FY 2018 (ending March 31, 2019).

Right, but I assume the author didn't mean Sony's FY 2018 but this year (I hope the source of the info in the OP is aware of that important distinction). I can see them doing a formal announcment in early 2019

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone who bought that article tell me if they confirmed if it would be PS5 or PSV like MGSV

Dude seriously, those people don't know a thing.

And it's going to be PS5 obviously. PSV is PS Vita. And PS Next is nothing. PS5 as in....PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4. There seems to be a pattern.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Why launch a new console when games like Death Stranding, TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima will launch after then ? Makes no sense and stupid business decision.
Why launch PS4 in 2013 when in the same year PS3 will get new AAA God of War, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, Beyond Two Souls and bunch of good PSN games?

Consoles can launch whenever.

[but I really don't expect PS5 before late 2019]

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm still quite convinced PS5 and ps4 will coexist at the end. Something like the iPhone. People continues to repeat no way because sony said with the next generation they want scratch the line with the past, but doesn't mean they can continue to use the base ps4 for a wider audience and this is the better thing to do for their cash. Probably ps5 won't be that affordable and they will decrease the price when the base ps4 will stop to sell to the masses.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Speaking of the actual announcement for the device, given how well their setup for the PS4 worked, what are the chances of them doing the same for their next machine?

A tech focused presentation early in the year with E3 being the main event with all the consumer info.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm still quite convinced PS5 and ps4 will coexist at the end. Some like the iPhone. People continues to repeat no way because with the next generation they want scratch the line with the past, but from a business point of views it's the better they can do. Probably ps5 won't be that cheap and they will decrease the price when the base ps4 stop to sell to the masses.

I also think that PS4 and PS5 will co exist for quite some time. They must have some sort of plan... regarding backwards or upwards compatibility.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Why launch PS4 in 2013 when in the same year PS3 will get new AAA God of War, The Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, Beyond Two Souls and bunch of good PSN games?

Consoles can launch whenever.

[but I really don't expect PS5 before late 2019]
That's not the same thing. They came out in the same year but in the end the console launched but that article says 2018. And in 2019 there are still DS, TLOU2 etc. So why launch a console when you have big Games which will came after the launch of the new console.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
That's not the same thing. They came out in the same year but in the end the console launched but that article says 2018. And in 2019 there are still DS, TLOU2 etc. So why launch a console when you have big Games which will came after the launch of the new console.
If PS5 has full BC [like Pro has], that will not matter. Both PS4 and PS5 will get to play those games.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Because those games will run on the new system as well

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
this time i have a feeling since they go first its 499.they will push it spec wise with 499 to be on the safe side.

PS4 199
PS4 pro 349
Ps5 499

With PS4 games running on Both systems they also have the option to do just that. It will be priced 499 since you dont have to buy it if you dont want to. There will be exklusive games comming 2020 though... and with that the transition begins.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I like it how the people that were saying "2019 is impossible! 2020 at the earliest" now are saying "2018 is impossible! 2019 at the earliest" :P

I've always been on the 2019 camp , with 2020 as a less likely but possible alternative, People saying 2019 is not possible are simply wrong

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like it how the people that were saying "2019 is impossible! 2020 at the earliest" now are saying "2018 is impossible! 2019 at the earliest" :P

I've always been on the 2019 camp , with 2020 as a less likely but possible alternative, People saying 2019 is not possible are simply wrong

People just dont get that console theese days are nothing but little gaming pcs... All they have to do is plan the hardware a year ahead and can come out with another 2 Teraflops more and then do that again and again and again.

By that messurement just count on 10 to 12 teraflops in 2019 with vega64 devkits out now. I mean what else should said devkits be carrying at the moment but a 12,66 teraflop Vega64 Chip. Later they just swap out those devkits for their Navi counterparts wich operate at half the wattage. Since Vega64 is a 300w beast Navi should be able to pull that off at the 150 to 175w target at its 7nm size. And that was the plan all along.

No 20 teraflop monster console or 30 teraflop what some kids wanted to believe.

But make no mistake. Those 10 to 12 teraflops will blow your mind when devs like naughtydog get their hands on that.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Late 2019 or Early 2020.

I'm curious about the price.
399$, 449$ or 499$?

It will surely $399 as Sony understood this price point is the sweet spot from this generation and they did for PS4 Pro even if they had a chance to increase price by adding Blueray and better cpu/gpu. May be $499 PS5 with PS VR 2 integrated or higher end model just like PS4/PS4 Pro needed to enhance the games without major differences and games play mostly same except resolution bumps or minor touches.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I think most people expected Navi and ryzen being used. I'm surprised that dev kits are being sent out to companies (first party studios is understandable but 3rd party seems early).

I do not believe there is any chance of a 2018 release but if this information is true fall 2019 sounds like the target. if 2019 is the release year I expect a lot of behind the scenes talk with devs/publishers at E3)

EDIT: if ps5 comes out in 2019 are we expecting vega 56 level of gpu power (10tflops)??

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Here's the thing though, they explicitly denied that it'd extend the generation. They also denied that generations are over. People are convincing themselves based on absolutely nothing.

Exactly! They literaly said it would be a mid-gen refresh, so 2019 would align perfectly with whatthey said.

Naaah. It would kill PS4 sales. Severely.

But they'd make it up with the new PS5 sales...

And they would still get many PS4 sales at $199

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
I think most people expected Navi and ryzen being used. I'm surprised that dev kits are being sent out to companies (first party studios is understandable but 3rd party seems early).

I do not believe there is any chance of a 2018 release but if this information is true fall 2019 sounds like the target. if 2019 is the release year I expect a lot of behind the scenes talk with devs/publishers at E3)

Well sony has really good relationship with many 3rd party companies this gen and also PS5 gonna extend their PS4 user base, so 3rd parties are always interested in Sony hardware to reach wider audience and for the Sony they need more launch games made for their hardware instead of early ports. Also these days game development taking more time, so they have to get started as early as possible.

I agree on release date though, it will be a late 2019 or early 2020. PS5 Announcements should happen next year early like PS4 if its late 2019 release or at E3 if its early 2020.