• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BS; No one should need a wife to be president.

He shouldn't need one, but he probably does unfortunately.

Also, i believe the knock on Booker from the left is he took a bunch of money from Wall Street and pharma types, and that he spent all that Facebook money for Newark schools on consultants and bullshit. I dont know whether either of those two accusations have a lot of weight, but that's why lefties say they don't like him.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
He was EXTREMELY dodgy with Big Pharma for a couple of years, receiving big donations while opposing measures to lower prices by allowing Canadian imports. He had a startup which he didn't disclose, then had a CNN Anchor's 14-year old kid on the board. He called criticism of Mitt Romney's corporate record 'nauseating' etc... In short, a very corporatist guy on top of a lot of his terrible's views by virtue of being an establishment dem e.g. supply-side econ, hawkish foreign policy...

There's also his support for the privatization of the education sector which is a major ehhhhhhhhhh

I don't doubt his progressive conviction on a lot of social issues but there are some areas in which he's surprisingly conservative

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty disgusted by right wing media saying that Booker "mansplained" and acted sexist in an attempt to discredit this speech.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
How does this even remotely come across as disingenuous?

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Yeah. Seems pretty genuine to me.

It's interesting to watch the people in the peripheral trying to process it. Dude to his rear right was a fighter.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The thought process is let's find any and every possible angle, insane as they may be, to delegitimize his statements. People will agree with us cause racists of a feather and all.

And liberals attacking him for this perceived grandstanding are playing right into that.
It's not even an insane strategy.

It's classic protect white women from angry brown man.

The only difference is that they are coopting liberal language to make themselves sound even more legitimate.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Yo! You voted against importing cheaper drugs from Canada. You another corporate shill in blue.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with Cory Booker 100% but when you have a portion of the country listening to Hannity/Limbaugh/Savage, sending death threats to a pizza place for allegedly having an underground sex ring or 36% of the country having a favorable view of Trump, it's hard to see anything being done as a result. The woman from DHS will just roll her eyes when interrupting Cory Booker and there will be no consequences because her boss Trump won't have any consequences for her.

The connection that people from South/Central America and Africa live in this country for a better way of life and the words Trump uses hurts everyone won't get made.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. That was a strong burn. I only wished he could be more eloquent and not be too emotional. That was what I loved about listening to Obama.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I agree with his comments wholeheartedly, but the delivery felt off to the point of making the emotion not believable (and perhaps I'm old and cynical about political speechifying).

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yes I think its the delivery. Which whatever, it's not like I'm gonna disagree with the substance of what he's saying. It strikes me like he's trying to make a viral clip. Like those weird pauses he takes in the beginning to make the last thing he said sound like the most important thing ever said, and it even had that crescendo where he starts relatively calm and escalates into outrage. The look she gives at 4:37 is basically my reaction. Like a little bit of "get a load of this guy".

I've always felt this way about him. He comes off as trying to be profound. Intentionally trying to create a sound bite. Basically, trying too hard. I'd have more respect if he spoke like a normal person. Not necessarily a dry, mono toned politician. But not like he's trying to be MLK either, because he ain't no matter how much he might think he is.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Man fuck, like a minority comes out and speaks some fire in an eloquent manner and gets labeled as fake. Like fuck, you can't win shit in this country as a minority.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of sad when there's so little reaction to racism in America in general, that when someone in power shows the correct level of disgust and hurt towards it, that the conversation has to turn to whether such a level of disgust and hurt regarding the racism could even be real.

It reads like, "okay racism is bad etc etc etc but does anyone really care this much?"

It's like we all just watched him give a speech on who makes the best French fries the way people are almost embarrassed that he cares so much.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've seen this guy speak, so I don't have any biases about him, and I agree with the whole "Fake" thing. The message is good, obviously, but if you're the type who disagrees, it's super easy to dismiss this video as just a performance.

It's kind of sad when there's so little reaction to racism in America in general, that when someone in power shows the correct level of disgust and hurt towards it, that the conversation has to turn to whether such a level of disgust and hurt regarding the racism could even be real.

It reads like, "okay racism is bad etc etc etc but does anyone really care this much?"

It's like we all just watched him give a speech on who makes the best French fries the way people are almost embarrassed that he cares so much.

The level of disgust is appropriate, sure, I just have trouble believing his sincerity in showing that disgust.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Booker is a phoney establishment Dem and his speech here makes him out to be the politician he is. His message, albiet a good one, is tainted bc he looks crooked and fake as all hell. If he runs/wins it will not be a good look for dems.

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it hilarious

*Cory Booker gives passionate speech*

"He's fake! He's just trying to run for higher office!"

*Bernie Sanders, who previously ran for higher office, gives passionate speech*

"Wow!! He's so passionate! He's sincere and he speaks to me!"

Like some of you guys just can't make it any more obvious. I mean, at least respect our intelligence and say what you really feel.

Yeah, this feels pretty on the nose. But I dunno, I honestly never could sit through a whole Bernie speech. Watched one of the debates and he was definitely good, at his one big topic.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just find it hilarious

*Cory Booker gives passionate speech*

"He's fake! He's just trying to run for higher office!"

*Bernie Sanders, who previously ran for higher office, gives passionate speech*

"Wow!! He's so passionate! He's sincere and he speaks to me!"

Like some of you guys just can't make it any more obvious. I mean, at least respect our intelligence and say what you really feel.

Yes. As we all know, every single speech by every single person is equally sincere and should be equally liked by everyone.

If you listened to two different speeches by two different people and somehow had different reactions towards them, then I'm sorry but it's just impossible to take you seriously.

Last edited:

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
To be honest, Booker's voting record on pharmaceuticals feels a little beside the point, not that it isn't fair to criticize, but it doesn't make what he says here less true.

When it comes to social issues, I wish more Dems could be as impassioned as Booker.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Love how Hannity tweeted that this was mansplaining. I hate that dumb cock so much.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Good message. I don't really know much about the guy, so maybe that's why I'm missing the whole "fake" argument. I just don't see it.

On the flip side, he seemed to mispronounce or stumble over words at several points, which made me think he was legitimately angry or fired up. Of course, I could be completely be wrong.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booker is a phoney establishment Dem and his speech here makes him out to be the politician he is. His message, albiet a good one, is tainted bc he looks crooked and fake as all hell. If he runs/wins it will not be a good look for dems.

He will run but I can't imagine him winning. In today's political clime Booker and his ilk are pretty toxic to the Democratic base.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Man fuck, like a minority comes out and speaks some fire in an eloquent manner and gets labeled as fake. Like fuck, you can't win shit in this country as a minority.

If you followed him at all with his career in Newark you'd know the guy's a bit fugazi.

That being said I got no problem with how he reacted in this hearing. Honestly with the amount of feigned ignorance this woman was spouting, specifically the line about not knowing the ethnic makeup of Norway, I'd have been heated too. The length that Trump's people go to defend him is at once astounding and shameful that in this country we have people who think that this is just okay.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've seen this guy speak, so I don't have any biases about him, and I agree with the whole "Fake" thing. The message is good, obviously, but if you're the type who disagrees, it's super easy to dismiss this video as just a performance.

The level of disgust is appropriate, sure, I just have trouble believing his sincerity in showing that disgust.
You claim to have no bias but you automatically choose to not believe he's sincere. It's flying in the face of what you're seeing, the opposite direction of where he's going. You either believe he means what he says or you don't, no amount of "performance" should really take away from that.

These responses are disheartening.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Watched the entire thing. Every word of his has reality and loss of patience for the bullshit that's happening.

Everyone of them is a cold hearted crook who will only take their deteriorating body to the grave, and no one will remember them for anything other than their bigotry, fascist ways.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. As we all know, every single speech by every single person is equally sincere and should be equally liked by everyone.

If you listened to two different speeches by two different people and somehow had different reactions towards them, then I'm sorry but it's just impossible to take you seriously.

I might actually believe this if this didn't come right on the fucking heels of

"Yeah Oprah made some good points, but whatever, shes probably running for office so whatever".

No, this shit is far too consistent. Meanwhile Bernie changes parties just before the freaking election to Democrat from independent, and hes SO genuine? The person you quoted is right, thats utter bullshit.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
For me it's not that it was fake (I'm sure there is sincere belief there). Rather the delivery felt off to the point of making the emotion not connect for me. It's kind of like when you see an actor give a great performance versus one where they look like they're trying too hard.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Young people who angrily post on internet forums aren't the Democratic base.

I'm not sure if that was a shot at me, but I'm not young. But I am angry at the party, who has failed us so many times. There are millions out there who feel this way.

This is the kind of guy I'd expect would be your president, America.

No thanks. Booker would be an improvement over Trump, but we can do much better. We'll have a good field in 2020 to choose from.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

People who have the kind of money necessary to run for office at that level are all crooked and fake. Every one of them. That can't be a determining factor in who you vote for, or you just won't vote for anyone, and you end up with a President like Trump. You have to listen to their message, and like you said, he had a good message.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Booker is a pretty good progressive, but we can do way better than him as the 2020 candidate. At this point, the only viable options that I can see are Bernie or Warren.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I think his delivery of all things is of secondary importance compared to the content and the message, which is on point like a Vulcan's ear.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
He was EXTREMELY dodgy with Big Pharma for a couple of years, receiving big donations while opposing measures to lower prices by allowing Canadian imports. He had a startup which he didn't disclose, then had a CNN Anchor's 14-year old kid on the board. He called criticism of Mitt Romney's corporate record 'nauseating' etc... In short, a very corporatist guy on top of a lot of his terrible's views by virtue of being an establishment dem e.g. supply-side econ, hawkish foreign policy...
He's also from New Jersey, a hotbed of corruption.

Also, as to the statements he made in Congress...

There is nothing wrong with rehearsing what you are going to say in Congress. Politicians should choose their words for maximum effectiveness. Booker publicly criticizing the President and his cabinet for Racism should not be a polite conversation.

I also think the number of people getting on Booker for yelling at a white woman and trying to twist their defenses into some kind of feminist "gotcha" are wrong.

"I don't remember" should not be good enough for any high-ranking cabinet member in the United States when asked specific questions about meetings.

You are either lying or you're unfit for the job to "not recall."