• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god.
By that logic why not hand off single words of a sentence for people to translate.
WHAT COULD GO WRONG.

Unfortunately, language works with context.

For example:
"I'm very happy to see you."
Looks easy enough, but did you know that "happy" will be different depending on a male or female speaker in some languages?
Since it's the same in English, a lot of times no one bothers marking the speaker, since it doesn't matter for their own language - it matters for other languages.
Now, context is usually then derived from seeing the whole text, having an idea what the conversation is about, how the speakers refer to each other, what their relationship might be. However, once you only get a SLICE of all that, you're basically royally screwed and just stabbing in the dark.

Another example:
"A: One and done!
B: More like 'One and dun-dun-dun!' Haha... okay, I'll see myself out."
If you let each sentence be translated by a different translator, there's a fat chance in hell this will work as a joke or anything remotely readable in the first place.
The more of the text a single translator sees, the higher the chance that they get a feel for the text, the target audience, the context and it's actors. The less you see, the more you have to just go blind.
My favourite example:

One project in our cultivator equipment range had tines for a Germinator (seed bed preparation equipment basically). The translation was done and everyone was happy.

We got a call in hysterics from one of our colleagues who said in their case, Germinator was translated as "Insemination" in their language.

How that happened is still anyone's guess. We started better context protocols after that.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Instead of asking players if they want to keep playing, they are telling their players to get a job. Harsh!

Or the working conditions of the translation company is so harsh, everyone working there just wants to leave.

May 13, 2019
This is a terrible idea for a good number of reasons. What WayForward should do is just paying people who have the professional knowledge and experience to do this job, and who care about crafting a consistent translation through the text, instead of devaluating translation work by delegating it to a group fans so large it's all but imposssible for them to craft a coherent translation in style and tone without supervision.
Well, it works for ZUN's Touhou games.

(ZUN lets fans do the translations of his games because he doesn't trust professional localization companies to do the job for whatever reason.)

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
My favourite example:

One project in our cultivator equipment range had tines for a Germinator (seed bed preparation equipment basically). The translation was done and everyone was happy.

We got a call in hysterics from one of our colleagues who said in their case, Germinator was translated as "Insemination" in their language.

How that happened is still anyone's guess. We started better context protocols after that.

My least favourite thing that I did was translate the button for taking screenshots as "conquer" in my language for a popular mobile game.
I thought "Capture" referred to some ingame battle mechanic...
(They still used it in the game, which is why I can't stress the importance of LQA enough.)

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
My least favourite thing that I did was translate the button for taking screenshots as "conquer" in my language for a popular mobile game.
I thought "Capture" referred to some ingame battle mechanic...
(They still used it in the game, which is why I can't stress the importance of LQA enough.)
Exactly!

You translated it correctly, but not in context. It's not just as easy as it looks to those outside the process!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is italian and works in the translation field, this is hilariously depressing.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I sympathize with Wayforward here as translation is not cheap, but they probably shouldn't bother offering other languages if the translation is pure nonsense.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Well, it works for ZUN's Touhou games.

(ZUN lets fans do the translations of his games because he doesn't trust professional localization companies to do the job for whatever reason.)
I'm not familiar with Touhou (they're bullet hell games with a focus on story, or something like that?), so I can't speak about the fans' efforts. Fan translations can be just as good as professional ones if the people doing them have a firm enough grasp on the languages and translation process, but they're usually the work of a few people, not a team of 100.

May 13, 2019
I'm not familiar with Touhou (they're bullet hell games with a focus on story, or something like that?), so I can't speak about the fans' efforts. Fan translations can be just as good as professional ones if the people doing them have a firm enough grasp on the languages and translation process, but they're usually the work of a few people, not a team of 100.
That much is true, Absolute Zero's Translation of Tales of Innocence is one of the best I've seen.

As for Touhou, ZUN has managed to build a sizeable world that his fans have expanded greatly. As such, he trust them more than he would trust a company that has no previous knowledge of this games.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
The "resume" to "curriculum vitae" here is pretty good, the fräulein one was great, but Melinda Megamelons will always be my go-to example.

I don't think that was a comprehension flub--knowing the tone of those games, I'm sure the surname was picked specifically for the Japanese pun by the original author and "Megamelons" was the translator's extremely unsubtle attempt to retain the joke.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone working in translation, this is quite funny. But as other's have said, you seldom get the full context, so it's often not the translators' fault.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who reviews a lot of unknown indies that do this, I should really compile some of the funniest shit I've found throughout the years. Can not lie though, Curriculum Vitae for Resume is one of the best ones ever.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Such BS, they aren't "employing" anyone.
ollesafeee.jpg

It seems it wasn't an human error, but it was actually Word 2000 that "fixes" "ragnarok" into "kangaroo".

legendsoflocalization.com

Legends of Localization: How a Kangaroo Accidentally Appeared in Tales of Phantasia’s Translation

This is a last-minute nightmare scenario for any modern game translation team.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Translation and localization work isn't easy, but that's literally unbelievable. (The CV part.) At that point, they should probably not advertise the game as being in certain langauges without huge disclaimers so people know what to expect.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They sure did. I told them the same things I said here the very day this game was announced and this was their reply:

The thing is, people complained a lot for Shantae 4 and they didn't bother to update it. I think part of the reason is because you had it happening in 4 different communities at once and the English community wasn't having any problems, so the message probably diluted. That's why I wanted to try and post it here this time.

"Okay, Babelfish isn't working, next time we'll use Google Translate".

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fuck this shit

This is seriously making me reconsider buying the game. I would be less offended if they didn't include any localizations at all.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Good God, AGAIN?

I swear there were some German phrases in the ITALIAN ttanslation of a Shantae game, can't quite remember if Pirate's Curse or Half-Genie Hero.
The latter's Italian version was so bad I switched my Switch (heh) to Emglish ten minutes into the game. It was too distracting.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I never had any interest in Shantae (while still being very fond of Wayforward), I can't decide if it's awesome to the point of buying every Shantae I missed or I want to swear the whole franchise even more.
It's a grueling emotion that mixes outrage and hilarity.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
As a hobbyist indie dev with a near-zero budget who has only released their games in English to this point, but would like to include translations in the future, I find this to be offensive.

I figured the first step would be to find a native speaker who is also fluent in English, and ask them for help. I would try to give them as little work as possible by minimizing the amount of text in the game, because I wouldn't have much to pay them.

You mean to tell me that actual developers with actual budgets are running this stuff through Google Translate, then have the gall to advertise that the game is localized?

That's not fair to me, the audience, or anybody, really. Blech.

OP
OP
Efejota

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
So they claimed to be using different translators for Shantae 5 but the translators got caught using Google Translate again?
They either employed the same people or employed some other people that did the exact same kind of thing.

I haven't seen more footage from Shantae 5, mind you, and perhaps the overall quality could be back at the level of Pirate's Curse (with errors or weird grammar on most sentences but still readable) but the Curriculum Vitae isn't a good example to have so far.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
I played Half-Genie Hero in english, but now I kinda want to see the spanish translation lol

The stuff from the tweets doesn't make sense at all.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There is absolutely no justification for this in 2019. Frankly, there would be no justification for this in 2005, either. I don't know what's worse, this or games that straight up have no freaking translations to anything but English, like freaking Persona. There's not much of a practical difference and at least with the latter you know not to buy them if you don't know English.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You lied to me, WayForward, YOU LIED TO ME.

Wayforward: You guys are FIRED! These translations are terrible, you embarrassed us!

Translators: We're sorry, we'll leave now

*5 minutes later*

Translators wearing fake mustaches: Hey we hear you needed translators

Wayforward: You guys look familiar...

Translators wearing fake mustaches: We get that a lot

Wayforward: Alright you have to be better than those last guys that worked for us, welcome aboard!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
translators work for free in 2019 or something?

lol
What? No, how did you get that from my comment?

If you are going release a game in a different language, you should pay people to translate your game to suit that market. It is insulting to your consumers to ask them to buy your game but not respect their language enough to use a professional translator.

Of course it costs money. Spend that money. Have some respect for your audience.

The "2019" comment refers to how easy it is to find native speakers to assist you due to the internet. In 1985 it was not so easy. This is not a problem in 2019.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What? No, how did you get that from my comment?

If you are going release a game in a different language, you should pay people to translate your game to suit that market. It is insulting to your consumers to ask them to buy your game but not respect their language enough to use a professional translator.

Of course it costs money. Spend that money. Have some respect for your audience.

oh yeah i agree with everything you said, but at first glance i find it kinda funny saying that a bad translation was unacceptable on 2019.