• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Can't totally disagree. In general I'd rather have 2 similar (but slightly different) games in a franchise that are 15 hours each released in a span of 4 years than a single 30 hour game released in 3 years. Would be a win-win, devs make more money, we get more variety and frequency of games. Still all depends on the specific game tho. I don't think a "long" game has to have a big budget necessarily.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with his point. Probably why Lost Legacy is one of my favorite games this gen, and I think the only one I've replayed. Last gen, there were a lot of games I would play 2 or 3 times to completion.

As someone having no more than a couple of hours per day to play because of work, I definitely agree.
Yup, same here. My opportunities for prolonged, 3+ hour play sessions are so much more limited now. Between work, my dog, my girlfriend, and other life commitments.

I've been playing RDR2 since January and I kind of just want it to end already. I'm almost at the end of Chapter 6 now, thinking I'm almost done, and then I read that there's two epilogue chapters...

The voice acting is great, and I want to say the story is too, but half the time I barely remember what's going on with the plot because it's taken me 6 months to slog through it.

I didn't even bother getting AC Odyssey after hearing how long it is.

games like god of war or TLOU2 are the future of linear games. Wide linear like someone else said
Yes, I am really enjoying that style of evolution to the linear formula. Only a few hours into Part II so far though.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I'm just sick and tired of this open world game wave we've been getting for over half a decade now.
Playing The Last of Us 2 has been such an amazing experience after RDR2, Death Stranding and FFXV for me.

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
12-15 hours is the sweet spot for me. Something like Uncharted LL or Infamous SS is so short that it leaves you wanting more (maybe that is a good thing?). God of War - as much as I liked it - was longer than I wanted it to be.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I agree wholeheartedly if only because I have trouble remembering a single player AAA game that was 40+ hours that actually had enough meaningful content to keep me occupied other than a game that I'm playing for the ability to mindlessly grind (RPGs, mostly).

Maybe Breath of the Wild? But even then, around 30 hours in I was ready to just get to the end.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think God of War PS4 benefittted from now blowing up into a massive open-world game the size of Horizon or whatever.

I spent almost 100 hours on Resident Evil 2.
Lol sure, but you didn't have to for a single playthrough :)
I love replaying shorter games, but often cannot get myself to do so on longer games. I loved GoW but haven't put myself through a 2nd playthrough, whereas the moment I finished re7 I started it again on a harder difficulty to use the skills and knowledge I obtained from the first playthrough

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sick and tired of this open world game wave we've been getting for over half a decade now.
Playing The Last of Us 2 has been such an amazing experience after RDR2, Death Stranding and FFXV for me.

Well, I think that TLOU 2 would be way better if it was 15 hours long.
After 2/3 of the game I just wanted it to end.

I enjoyed playing RDR2 and DS from the start to the end.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I mean, games like the Witcher 3 and Persona 5 were a tad on the long side, but TLOU2 didn't overstay it's welcome at all, imo. For narrative games, they should be as long as it takes for the developer to tell the story, not some arbitrary hour number.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Very much agree with him. Even on the Nintendo front, Xenoblade felt artificially long IMO. Most of the big Sony exclusives feel the same. I still maintain that GOW going open-world hurt the experience. I haven't played it yet but The Last of Us II sounds long. Spider-Man however, was the perfect length.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I disagree. It's almost like every time we finally get a hang of something, people are willing to go back. TLOU2 and GOW finally nailed the 20 hours + AAA wide linear approach. It's not like 12-15 hour games weren't prevalent. We had Uncharted 4, on the higher end and Tomb Raider on the lower end.

They can easily co-exist.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sounds great. I would pay full ticket price for these games, as long as they are good. A good 12 hour game is worth more than a tedious 100 hour game.

Much prefer this approach rather than a game that is quartered in value shortly after launch and relies on post purchase sales to be a sustainable business model.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I'll never understand the demand for 50-300 hour games, across the board.

For an open-world RPG? Sure. For an action-adventure or horror game? WTF are you thinking?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a better model. Both in terms of earning potential, but also for gamers. I prefer games that are shorter and have replayability. There's also the thought that games are just too long, especially your Witchers and Personas. Playing Witcher 3, I did 20 hours, got bored, and by all accounts the game hadn't really started yet. That's just ridiculous and doesn't respect people's time. Persona 5, I got tired 50 hours in cause it doesn't move along fast enough.

I played 4 Shantae games recently, all about 10 hours, and it was just perfect. Shorter games are just generally better for me.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can complete a $60 game in 7 to 8 hours and be cool with it. The sweet spot for me is probably between 15 and 20 hours. Anything 20+ hours isn't great, but if it keeps me entertained by the story then it's whatever. My only hope is for the game to have long cutscenes and short gameplay sections.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I think God of War PS4 benefittted from now blowing up into a massive open-world game the size of Horizon or whatever.

Im playing Horizon atm and fuck me you can tell where campaign missions are so artificially extended to make you plod thru that huge open world. Its just blatant padding to max out dem hours of gameplay. One mission on 2nd chapter has you scaling up a path that leads to a mountain area with tight ropes and drops etc. Its like 20mins of trekking to meet a NPC, talk shit and kill a few machines. When I hit this point I felt this is just lazy on the devs, its just so uninspired design

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Yes. Also please make the games cost 40 to 50 rather than 50 to 60 USD, thanks

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
When I don't have University and I'm currently in quarantine, then yes, easily. Although it seems most people here are talking about linear fps games wanting to be 12-15 hours. If I played a JRPG and it was 15 hours long I'd be fucking pissed.
Chrono Trigger is considered a JRPG masterpiece and it's about 15 to 20 hrs to beat but doesn't feel that short due to near perfect pacing.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
This gen has been the gen of unfinished games for me. God of War, Days Gone, Red Dead Redemption 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Prey, Witcher 3 and the entire gen of Assassin's Creed are just some of the games I've moved on from due to game length. For me, it was just easier to get my fill, then hop onto YouTube to see the remaining story.

I miss the game lengths of last gen where Uncharted 2, Bioshock, Gears were a 10-12hr games, open world titles like Assassin's Creed and GTA IV were 15-20 hrs if you mainlined the story and threw in a few side missions.

Another thing, and maybe this is a me issue, is that I find very few games today are pickup and play friendly. What I mean is that once I put a game down for a extended period of time, I often find it very difficult to get back up to speed with the game mechanics, story, etc. In the past, this wasn't a problem as I would often just restart a game I enjoyed to complete it. However, with the current crop of games being in excess of 20+ hours, the idea of restarting a game becomes daunting to the point where I just choose to move on to something else.

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
Another thing, and maybe this is a me issue, is that I find very few games today are pickup and play friendly. What I mean is that once I put a game down for a extended period of time, I often find it very difficult to get back up to speed with the game mechanics, story, etc. In the past, this wasn't a problem as I would often just restart a game I enjoyed to complete it. However, with the current crop of games being in excess of 20+ hours, the idea of restarting a game becomes daunting to the point where I just choose to move on to something else.

If it is controls, it is different, but if it is game mechanics you are talking about then yes. Lot of RPG elements and customization can be hard to get back into after a while.

That is what I like simple run and guns games like uncharted. There are only simple mechanics to consider, no customization and no crafting.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree. As someone who doesn't have time (or, frankly, the desire) to sit and play a game for 3+ hours per day, it would be nice to look at HowLongToBeat.com and not think, "Well fuck...I guess I'll finish that in about three months." It's what I've loved about the REmakes this gen, along with 7: knowing that I could enjoy them from start to finish without spreading the experience out over several weeks, if not months.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
If getting a AAA game to 10-15 hours lowers the budget, time to make, and especially the crunch involved, then BRING IT ON.
This ever increasing expectation is literally not sustainable so at some point I guess it's all going to collapse back in on itself, but seriously, there has to be a way to make great games that aren't 5-6 years long dev times, insance crunch and hundreds of millions of dollars.

Jun 6, 2020
I absolutely agree. I've avoided a lot of big releases for this reason. I don't have the time and I'd much rather play a bunch of smaller games than one bloated one.

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent hundreds of hours on Ocarina of Time. I don't think anyone objects to games having huge replayability and bonus content that significantly extends playtime, for anyone that wants to dig in. It's bloating the maingame content to dozens of hours that makes it difficult for people just wanting to get through the game and see the end credits. I've held off playing Persona 5 cause it sounds so long I'd either have to binge through it or make it a months-long commitment thing, neither of those options being enticing.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I really do miss the "AA" games from the PS2/Gamecube era. So many creative, fun games. While the indie scene has picked up some slack in that regard, I just don't have time for the 25-30 hour game anymore either. I would gladly welcome a return to shorter, more cohesive titles. Most of my favorite games in the last few years were all in that ballpark length wise.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
No, AAA games just need to be better. Stop focusing on graphics streamlined decorated tunnels and pre scripted action segments. Yeah those pretty but simple AAA games get boring after about 12 hours.

No 12 hour game is worth $60. Most AAA games aren't worth 12 hours. Start making better games. Graphics wow factor is almost negligible these days. Devs perfected the detail rich funnelled experience last gen. If you just do that, but more detail, you haven't done anything special and you're not worth the time it money. You can get some traction with a hype campaign I guess but just remember the returns are diminishing hard on graphics.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Games are so heavily padded nowadays. Just give me a tight 10-20 hours. Hell I want to replay the Witcher 3, but damn that commitment is major