• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
According to what they said, all Kickstarter "preorders" have their own unique content not available in the retail release

So please, tell me how I'm getting fucked

These Shenmue controversy threads are getting ridiculous

But congrats in getting the next Jim Sterling outrage video or Eurogamer outrage article written. You'd think this series was way more popular than it is based on all the hatred it attracts
Can you even name the "unique content"?

Oct 30, 2017
Pre-order Bonuses
Pre-order Shenmue III digitally to receive the "Blazing Kick" Advanced Technique Scroll, Kenpogi Training outfit, and a Peking Power Starter Pack. Besides these, there are some exclusive bonuses listed below.
GameStop is offering a limited edition Dragon/Phoenix Mirror Medallion inspired by the one seen in the game. The medallion is 2″-sized and will be available while supplies last:

These preorder bonuses are so marginal I hope they just throw them at anyone who complains because this really isn't worth a minute of anyone's time.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah I found the preorder bonuses for PS4 at least

The PlayStation Store (PS4) is now taking pre-orders, and offering the following pre-order bonuses:
  • The "Blazing Kick" Advanced Technique Scroll
  • Kenpogi Training outfit
  • Peking Power Starter Pack* (this set can be downloaded only once per account)
* On the Japan PlayStation website, the Peking Power Starter Pack is called the "Peking Duck Power Starter Pack" (whatever that may represent), so it appears that a word was dropped in translation.

In addition, the following PS4-specific bonuses are included on the PlayStation Store:
  • Shenmue III Character Concept Theme
  • 3 Avatars:
    • Ryo
    • Shenhua
    • The Shenmue III logo

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.
Just want to point out that this is not the case on consoles, where code generation does cost money (if the season pass were to be $20, it'd be a couple of bucks per code, for example).

That said, yeah, they should include at least the pre-order bonus with all copies imo. Season pass... it'd be very cool of them to bundle it in, but I get it a bit more? Still not ideal.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The preorder bonuses are owned by Deep Silver.
And that means we can't complain because? Deep Silver could easily let them give the pre-order bonuses to the backers too, but nope, can't be doing that now can they. That's just too kind of them.
These preorder bonuses are so marginal I hope they just throw them at anyone who complains because this really isn't worth a minute of anyone's time.
I mean at this point it's about principle for me.

As someone who put quite a decent amount of money into this Kickstarter due to the fact I've been waiting for Shenmue 3 ever since I finished Shenmue 2 after it's EU Dreamcast launch, I just feel used at this point. It feels like there's just no respect for the fans who helped fund their project.

They can't even be bothered to throw backers a bone after the EGS debacle and that just rubs me the wrong way.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I put $310 into the Kickstarter and that's still not good enough to get any pre-order bonuses lol. Bunch of skinflints. The season pass I can understand, but come on, at least let backers have the pre-order stuff.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, but that shows all the more how Deep Silver could've easily offered these things to backers and net themselves some very needed goodwill.

Edit: Like, sure I'm perfectly happy with what I'm getting with the $300 tier but they kind of need to read the room here.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The preorder bonuses are owned by Deep Silver.
And apparently kickstarter backers are also owned by Deep Silver since their EGS deal directly impact us.

Backers takes all the risk, get all the drawback from publisher's desicions, none of the benefit, and based on some comments we sometime get to see, at the end of the day we are the one who should be bowing our head and say thank you.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I expected something along these lines, considering this was being planned in parallel as a retail product, rather than just a backer product. It feels silly, but it does make sense. I was in a higher backer tier, and it doesn't really ruffle my feathers. A different group funded a different subset of content, to try to sell copies of the game through their channel.

The corollary to that, mind you, is that things like the exclusive in-game phone card conversations for the higher tiers from the Kickstarter shouldn't be available to anyone but Backers. I normally think it's petty when people insist other players don't have access to content, but this is a situation where I'd be legitimately annoyed if that audio/convo content isn't delivered on exclusively for backers.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
And apparently kickstarter backers are also owned by Deep Silver since their EGS deal directly impact us.

Backers takes all the risk, get all the drawback from publisher's desicions, none of the benefit, and based on some comments we sometime get to see, at the end of the day we are the one who should be bowing our head and say thank you.
I just look at the bigger picture. Without Deep Silver infusing funds into the project we wouldn't get the size of the project that we are getting. I personally just dont care about preorder bonuses. Its wasn't listed in the ks when I pledged. I only care about the game. That's just me though

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
All they need to do now is announce that the Kickstarter exclusive backer case is no longer exclusive. Or that they aren't making one. Then there will be no point for those that backed $60 or less to stay a backer.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I spent over $250 on this Kickstarter, the ultimate pre-order, and that's not enough for me to get the pre-order DLC? I feel even more resolute now in no longer backing games on Kickstarter.

I'm kinda surprised anyone gave it money considering how sketchy it looked early on.

I feel like a lot of people just saw the reveal and gave them money based on hype alone.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Wait. Ys Net did not mention anything about the above $60 tier rewards fulfillment. Did I miss something?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Some people are being outraged about everything. On this very forum somebody created a thread talking about not reaching all the stretch goals that were promised even though it reached many extra stretch goals. I'm not sure it's all in good faith.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Bad PR + a potentially polarizing game. What could go wrong?

I'm honestly baffled as a Shenmue fan and release day isn't going to look pretty.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This game was built around the goodwill of fans but I think they lost sight of that chasing money to fund the development.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are being outraged about everything. On this very forum somebody created a thread talking about not reaching all the stretch goals that were promised even though it reached many extra stretch goals. I'm not sure it's all in good faith.
There's plenty of valid reasons to be annoyed at this campaign.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to come into every thread where people have an issue with how this campaign transpired and dismiss it as "people just want to be outraged".

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It was Yu Suzuki making the game. What more did any fan need? It was this or nothing.

Could easily say the same about every other Kickstarter that's gone bad.

If you're fed conflicting information in the pitch why would you give your money to him?

I do want to make clear that I'm not blaming the backers. People aren't going to act rationally when they are pumped full of marketing and the hype train starts going. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone. It's one of the worst parts about the hobby.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They REALLY need to earn back some goodwill and generate some positive publicity, because everything they're doing is pissing their most devoted fans off.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Man.. I know I poke fun at Shenmue a fair bit but I feel bad for the people that backed it. This shit is appalling.

How is getting what I paid for appalling? I put in almost $300 for a game I waited 15+ years for and will hopefully be getting what I was promised. What's important for me is the game, everything else doesn't matter nearly as much.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The handling of this game has been depressing to see, it's almost as if the series is cursed.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So we are still guaranteed what we were promised with the Kickstarter, but we aren't getting the season pass that was announced after the Kickstarter? Am I understanding that correctly? Or is the OP's title saying we aren't getting out Kickstarter stuff at all?

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If pre-order bonuses are suppose to be extra incentive for people to buy the game, why would they freely offer them to people who have already "bought" the game?
my dude, when your galaxybrain take is "if preorder incentives are supposed to be extra incentives for people to preorder the game, why would they give them to people who already preordered the game," you should probably think a few more times before posting

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agreed with the EGS stuff but this is a little silly. Just because they could offer it as a goodwill thing doesn't mean they have to. They offered you a product and you decided to pay money for it, getting mad they aren't adding things that weren't included in the first place is a ridiculous thing to do.

It has to be said so often it's almost kinda sad - Kickstarter is N O T a pre-order.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how slight the bonuses are, it wouldn't have hurt to throw the most hardcore fans a bone. Telling them to buy another copy is not a good look.

Oct 30, 2017
This is scammy as shit, considering backing it is basically a pre-order.
Jeez, why is it so hard for companies to be pro-consumer these days?

Why not?
What's the scam? Kickstarter backers are getting their own content, separate from any content retail customers are getting:

Standard and deluxe versions released through retail sales are not affiliated with the crowdfunding campaign, so will not be included with backer pledges, however, they will be available for sale separately. Kickstarter Backers will receive the Kickstarter version, Slacker Backers will receive the Slacker Backer version. Both have unique content respective to their versions not available in the retail versions.

Japan is getting a physical Day 1 edition. Are Japanese Kickstarter backers being scammed if they don't get a physical Day 1 edition as well as their own specialty Kickstarter edition?

This thread is based on a ridiculous premise. I know this has been a horribly managed Kickstarter, but I think some of you just smell blood. The bonuses some of you feel entitled to amount some items and moves you'll probably be able to buy in game after an hour. Is that really worth the outrage?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I think they should include the season pass above certain tiers just to generate good will, it wasn't promised so I don't see an issue with not including it.

Not including the preorder stuff is just silly. The content itself looks worthless, but there is no reason to antagonize backers further at this point on something that costs them nothing to include.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
What's the scam? Kickstarter backers are getting their own content, separate from any content retail customers are getting:
You still pretty much pre-ordered the game with backing it. The pre-order DLC doesn't even seem to be very beefy, so why not give it to the people who are responsible that it can release at all?
SMS tried to do the same with Project CARS, where people who were an active part of the development wouldn't get pre-order bonuses and Day 1 DLC. Fortunately people didn't just swallow this shit like you do now.

This is pure anti-consumer bullcrap.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
For me, I went in on a physical copy because they made it look like it might be exclusive only to this kickstarter and they showed an image at the that suggests some pretty custom looking packaging. Now I'm 99% certain we are getting a standard retail ps4 jewelbox with thin cardboard slipcase over it.

I mean, it is what it is, I'm getting a physical copy of the game, but I've pretty much been disappointed in every Kickstarter I've taken part on so far. Mighty No 9 was a debacle. Bloodstained I could have $20 spent less to get a physical copy that included a much cooler steelbook (and I wouldn't be stuck with a gimped Switch version, which most of us never thought would be as compromised as it is, graphically and performance-wise), Shenmue 3 has been completely scummy, and I'm getting the strong vibe will probably have much better physical copies available at retail too, Friday the 13th the game got all of its support yanked after a year.

So yeah, I think I'm done with the platform at least for anything physical- maybe I should just opt in for cheap digital copies from now on.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
You have to wonder if Yu Suzuki is leading this project and mismanaged his budgeting again.

I backed this for $30 4 years ago, so I'm beyond caring at this point, I'll play the game but I'm not emotionally invested at all.

Oct 30, 2017
For me, I went in on a physical copy because they made it look like it might be exclusive only to this kickstarter and they showed an image at the that suggests some pretty custom looking packaging. Now I'm 99% certain we are getting a standard retail ps4 jewelbox with thin cardboard slipcase over it.

I mean, it is what it is, I'm getting a physical copy of the game, but I've pretty much been disappointed in every Kickstarter I've taken part on so far. Mighty No 9 was a debacle. Bloodstained I could have $20 spent less to get a physical copy that included a much cooler steelbook (and I wouldn't be stuck with a gimped Switch version, which most of us never thought would be as compromised as it is, graphically and performance-wise), Shenmue 3 has been completely scummy, and I'm getting the strong vibe will probably have much better physical copies available at retail too, Friday the 13th the game got all of its support yanked after a year.

So yeah, I think I'm done with the platform at least for anything physical- maybe I should just opt in for cheap digital copies from now on.
I think this is the bigger story/issue, and it definitely isn't exclusive to Shenmue. Crowdfunding is great for getting a game you want off the ground, but horrible as a 'store' for early adopters. I expect we'll all receive copies of the game way later than retail customers as well based on what I've seen from other Kickstarter campaigns.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I spent over $250 on this Kickstarter, the ultimate pre-order, and that's not enough for me to get the pre-order DLC? I feel even more resolute now in no longer backing games on Kickstarter.

I think this explains the problem in a nutshell. Kickstarter isn't supposed to be a preorder system. It's supposed to make the game possible. But when game developers flooded the website they've literally made it seems like you were preordering items. The main issue is that when a publishers steps in that publisher wants to make as much money as possible. As such they want to sell DLC, season pass and the like and giving things for free to backers isn't really interesting for them.

Yeah, I dont see the problem either. We should be glad we're getting the game at all and they're not running with money. They're doing a service to us already.

In all seriousness, I can understand not getting the season pass even if that move by itself is greedy af.

No pre-order bonuses though ? Fuckin lol.

Seriously, I love Shenmue. But ffs, do they know how to run a campaign ?
Sure, technically, we're not entitled to that. We're not entitled to respect either.

But do you know what other successful Kickstarters did ? They gave that kind of stuff for free to their backers.

Hat in Time backers ? They got all DLCs for free.
Shovel Knight backers ? All new content for free.
Hollow Knight backers ? Well they're getting the sequel for free.

You know what fuckin Oculus did ? Not only they delivered the DK1 to their backers but they also delivered them what wasn't promised in the campaign: A fuckin free 700 dollars Oculus Rift CV1. Backers were only promised a prototype, they got both the prototype and the retail version, which costs money to make and ship.

Giving backers pre-order bonuses and season pass litterally cost them NOTHING.

It's called GREEDINESS.

Hat in Time, Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight were also self published. Console versions of a Hat in Time were by Humble Bundle though. I suppose it's easier to give away content for free when no publisher is involved and you are in total control of your product. This is the main difference with Shenmue. When they've made the deal with Deep Silver they lost control over the product compared to other kickstarters. It lead to the Epic Deal and heavy monetization incentives which seems to punish the initial supporters.

Bloodstained handled it much better but there was still issues with people like making the backers DLC available for sale and the Retail release having an exclusive steelbook and so on(which they offered a limited amount of backers to buy).

What's definitely unique with this game is that it's stuck in an endless downward spiral of bad PR and they now have little hope of turning things around.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Not expecting a season pass with my $60 Kickstarter version, but those higher tiers really should be catered for.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
While I think they should include the season pass above certain tiers just to generate good will, it wasn't promised so I don't see an issue with not including it.

Not including the preorder stuff is just silly. The content itself looks worthless, but there is no reason to antagonize backers further at this point on something that costs them nothing to include.
Pretty obviously Ys Net either don't care about or don't understand the concept of goodwill.

They are only begrudgingly doing the bare minimum of what they are obligated to do, and are keen to weasel out of even that if they can.