• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
There have been a few updates about refunds at this point. If you missed those, sure.
Why do you pretend that you don't understand very simple sentences just to protect a corporation?

He switched to PS4 inmediately after the EGS bullshit was announced. They said that you needed to be on PC at the time of the survey getting out in order to get a refund, but they said it when it was nighttime where he lives and he didn't have time to switch because he was sleeping. If they cared, they would have waited 24h between stating what you need to do in order to get a refund, and sending out the surveys.

But sure it's his fault blah blah blah. Sure.

Oct 30, 2017
Why do you pretend that you don't understand very simple sentences just to protect a corporation?

He switched to PS4 inmediately after the EGS bullshit was announced. They said that you needed to be on PC at the time of the survey getting out in order to get a refund, but they said it when it was nighttime where he lives and he didn't have time to switch because he was sleeping. If they cared, they would have waited 24h between stating what you need to do in order to get a refund, and sending out the surveys.

But sure it's his fault blah blah blah. Sure.
What? They said refunds were for PC backers on multiple updates.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC Physical Version
The PC Physical version will come with an Epic Game Store key. The physical disk will contain the Epic Games Store installer and not the actual game data.

Friendly reminder to all physical PC backers that they're shipping you basically an empty box.

EDIT: Before my post gets downplayed by defenders, here's a picture of what was promised, thanks to Sixfortyfive

X0kvXaR.png

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The original survey also said changes past last year's deadline would not be accepted, so...
This.
"Changes past the deadline are not accepted. Unless you changed from PC to PS4 because of EGS before we announced refunds. Then they are accepted. :)"

Riou

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Refund requested. Really disappointed with how this whole thing turned out.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Refund requested for $185. Really sad about the whole situation with Epic, but at least I'm getting my money back.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
So, is there any information on how the refunds are actually being handled? The transactions are several years old at this point, and in my case the account that I used to back the game no longer exists at all. How would I actually receive the refund in that case?

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
So, is there any information on how the refunds are actually being handled? The transactions are several years old at this point, and in my case the account that I used to back the game no longer exists at all. How would I actually receive the refund in that case?
It's being done through Paypal, it seems. Makes sense but there might be an issue with that in some countries, so hopefully if anyone is affected by that they can arrange alternative means.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
They'll just send the money to the paypal account you enter.

They were never going to refund to the original payment method. That would have been a logistical nightmare that would have likely meant the majority of people have to send new details anyway.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna have to go with the refund request. They changed stances so many times and clearly have little regards for us backers. The money from the kickstarter seems to have only been to grab investor interest anyway.
Fucking waste, especially as a big Shenmue fan.
There loss.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I still remember the "this is for the fans" mantra.
Fuck all of that, they don't give a shit about the fans, they kickstarted the game in no time using the nostalgia factor, and as soon as they saw the possibility to get a publisher they did it and picked up the worst possible one, and than joined Epic. They are in just for the money, the Shenmue brand was used to move money and that's it. This was my first and only Kickstarter, and it went horribly wrong.

Jun 14, 2019
Fuck all of that, they don't give a shit about the fans, they kickstarted the game in no time using the nostalgia factor, and as soon as they saw the possibility to get a publisher they did it and picked up the worst possible one, and than joined Epic. They are in just for the money, the Shenmue brand was used to move money and that's it. This was my first and only Kickstarter, and it went horribly wrong.

They announced a kickstarter at a sony e3 conference which is for press first and most importantly.

Nothing about it was for fans. Anyone thinking otherwise is just being a fanboy at that point especially with all the backhand deals after aswell.

I mean the publisher agreed this epic deal in April but even at e3 this year they still acted like it was coming steam this year aswell. Its proper shady business tactics and they are pulling everything by the playbook to stop people getting a refund and just going with what they get

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well, my late switch a couple weeks ago to the PC version worked and I was able to request a refund. Thank god these people are so incompetent. And it looks like I'll get a full refund. +$310 in my bank account at some point.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
They announced a kickstarter at a sony e3 conference which is for press first and most importantly.

Nothing about it was for fans. Anyone thinking otherwise is just being a fanboy at that point especially with all the backhand deals after aswell.

I mean the publisher agreed this epic deal in April but even at e3 this year they still acted like it was coming steam this year aswell. Its proper shady business tactics and they are pulling everything by the playbook to stop people getting a refund and just going with what they get
I agree, but I was talking about the video Suzuki did when the Kickstarter launched, which burns much more after this shitshow.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

After ten thousand years i´m finally freeeee.

Glad to never do business with the three parties involved in this monumental scam.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Refund requested. Glad to leave that appaling business behind me. And sadly, the Shenmue franchise as well. My interest in it is completely dead. Thanks Timmy, Ysnet and Deep Silver.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
After the EGS announcement, I went on to the survey site and changed my option from Steam to PS4, but later learned that the survey was actually closed and this wouldn't go through. But now I get this email and it says I've selected PS4? I'd rather have a refund. Does anyone know if I'm in a fixable situation here?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
After the EGS announcement, I went on to the survey site and changed my option from Steam to PS4, but later learned that the survey was actually closed and this wouldn't go through. But now I get this email and it says I've selected PS4? I'd rather have a refund. Does anyone know if I'm in a fixable situation here?
These chucklefucks claimed the survey was closed, but it wasn't. See my post above where I was able to switch from PS4 to the PC version like 2 weeks ago and get a refund.

Couldn't hurt to email them.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
Email Fangamer, they are handling that issue directly
Thank you for contacting us. If you had your platform selection set to a PC version before the exclusivity announcement, you may request a refund. However, we must ask you to contact Fangamer so they may verify the change. Fangamer may be reached at [email protected].

We are sorry we cannot handle your request here, but support at Fangamer will be able to assist you.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation,
The Shenmue III Team

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still truly don't get the connection between "the EGS exclusivity and refund/Steam key thing sucks" and "Yu Suzuki/YsNet is personally responsible and sold out the fans"

Did YsNet/Yu accept a deal with Deep Silver? Yes, to bolster the funds to make a better game for the fans. Everything Deep Silver did from there they did with almost certainly little-to-no input from YsNet, who have been sleeping in their offices (at least Yu had) to work more on the game.

Basically, it was option 1 or 2:

1. Kickstarter funds only - a smaller game, less refined (can't afford to delay game and stretch money for that extra time), without any stretch goals that weren't reached during the original campaign. Game gets released on Steam and PS4 at launch

2. Deal with the "devil" - DeepSilver and Epic get involved - additional stretch goals are reached, bigger (and presumably better) game as a result. Marketing goes from non-existent to decent, more people are aware of the game. Epic dollars, based on prior estimates, help to make it a much bigger chance that fans will get Shenmue IV (and no, they will not be going back to Kickstarter, I'm sure of that). Game gets released on EGS at launch, PS4 backers are not affected and get a better game.

As a fan, I'm glad that those of you that wanted a refund are getting one, I really am, but to act like YsNet and Yu are doing this solely out of greed and to attack them personally is utterly ridiculous.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ended up requesting a refund. Gonna take my $260 and buy a new monitor.

I'll probably still pick up at launch, but if Epic is gonna pay my part then why not.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still truly don't get the connection between "the EGS exclusivity and refund/Steam key thing sucks" and "Yu Suzuki/YsNet is personally responsible and sold out the fans"

Did YsNet/Yu accept a deal with Deep Silver? Yes, to bolster the funds to make a better game for the fans. Everything Deep Silver did from there they did with almost certainly little-to-no input from YsNet, who have been sleeping in their offices (at least Yu had) to work more on the game.

Basically, it was option 1 or 2:

1. Kickstarter funds only - a smaller game, less refined (can't afford to delay game and stretch money for that extra time), without any stretch goals that weren't reached during the original campaign. Game gets released on Steam and PS4 at launch

2. Deal with the "devil" - DeepSilver and Epic get involved - additional stretch goals are reached, bigger (and presumably better) game as a result. Marketing goes from non-existent to decent, more people are aware of the game. Epic dollars, based on prior estimates, help to make it a much bigger chance that fans will get Shenmue IV (and no, they will not be going back to Kickstarter, I'm sure of that). Game gets released on EGS at launch, PS4 backers are not affected and get a better game.

As a fan, I'm glad that those of you that wanted a refund are getting one, I really am, but to act like YsNet and Yu are doing this solely out of greed and to attack them personally is utterly ridiculous.

This whole deal with Epic and DS will leave an extremely sour taste in the mouths of everyone that backed the game, which are the fans.

I fear that a major percentage of those who were interested in Shenmue III in the first place won't be interested to do business with any of the companies involved in the future. I get that the deal was made to make a better, more complete game, but the trade-off to drastically change the settled deal with the fans will affect all of their reputations long term, all of this for a short term gain.

Long story short, if YsNet wants to do another Shenmue after this, they'll have to find a partner which aren't the fans themselves because they were deeply burned by those complications and changes to the initially proposed deal.

Jul 10, 2018
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Don't mind bell wood's jet cola, they are a Shenmue Dojo forum regular, as was I. It's easy to get fooled by blind loyalty, as did I.

EDIT: And I mean no disrespect, it's just relevant to consider the source of things.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This whole deal with Epic and DS will leave an extremely sour taste in the mouths of everyone that backed the game, which are the fans.

I fear that a major percentage of those who were interested in Shenmue III in the first place won't be interested to do business with any of the companies involved in the future. I get that the deal was made to make a better, more complete game, but the trade-off to drastically change the settled deal with the fans will affect all of their reputations long term, all of this for a short term gain.
"Marjor percentage"? Most people don't roam the forums and average age of a Shenmue fan is higher than your typical game. I'm pretty sure they will be fine.

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Don't mind bell wood's jet cola, they are a Shenmue Dojo forum regular, as was I. It's easy to get fooled by blind loyalty, as did I.

EDIT: And I mean no disrespect, it's just relevant to consider the source of things.
Yeah, I make crazy posts on Shenmue Dojo. In fact, I just told someone over there to stop chastising people for asking for refunds. I am a mad man. You meant plenty of disrespect.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Marjor percentage"? Most people don't roam the forums and average age of a Shenmue fan is higher than your typical game. I'm pretty sure they will be fine.
This story isn't confined to forums and enthusiasts, it pretty much was plastered on all video gaming news websites.

I mean, I hope this hasn't poisoned the pool as much as I think, but at the same time I think this whole story got a lot more traction than what you think.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Completely stupid side question, is it worth actually have PayPal? I had to do a refund to an account that wasn't mine (it's my dad's) since I don't have one set up at all and always been wary to.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Completely stupid side question, is it worth actually have PayPal? I had to do a refund to an account that wasn't mine (it's my dad's) since I don't have one set up at all and always been wary to.

Paypal's very safe and can really come in handy when you want to check out on sites that offer it but don't want to give them your billing info.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Paypal's very safe and can really come in handy when you want to check out on sites that offer it but don't want to give them your billing info.

Very true. Thanks. Probably will make one when I start selling Magic cards again. Thanks! Sorry, completely off topic.

Getting back on topic... fuck them for not guaranteeing Steam keys.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Question, if none of my data has changed, do I have to fill this survey again, reading the OP quickly didn't seem to give me that specific info.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Done. That $185 will make a decent pre-Christmas "gift."
Or actually, it will be proper gift to some extent, as we were charged in USD, which is worth more of my currency now than it was in 2015.
Currently it's probably around +$20 worth for me.

I don't blame Ys Net for signing with a publisher, as the entire reason for doing so was likely to boost the budget and help improve the game. Not even Deep Silver was planning on screwing us at the point of being brought on. And I don't know how Ys Net was supposed to have known that they eventually would. Don't recall anyone having a problem with the idea of a publisher until the EGS announcement. And to imply that Yu Suzuki, who has spent probably over a decade of his life on this series, doesn't care about it, his and its reputation and legacy, and is just in it for the money, is just absurd.

Where Ys Net screwed up is they didn't make sure there was a clause in the contract that ensured promises to backers would be honored by the publisher. And of course around the EGS announcement, where them reneging on a promise was presented as a good thing. They had no plans for refunds or seemingly any clue at all.

If there ever is a Shenmue 4, if it's published by Deep Silver they can fucking forget it.
Deep Silver is also owned by Nazipedoterrorist pals THQ Nordic/Embracer. So I wouldn't recommend anyone actually buy Shenmue 3.

Refund steps

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Just completed my refund. Pretty straight forward.
  1. Look for the new survey email from Fangamer
  2. Follow link and click change survey answers
  3. Click refund (from drop down menu)
  4. confirm refund on next screen
  5. Prompted to login to paypal
  6. After logging in through pop up screen, returned to a refund request confirmation
edit: Might I add that it is a bit bullshit that we wait for years and they give you a two week window to cancel. I get that they need to cap it, but come on. I hope Gamespot or one of the more trafficked sites puts this in front of more eyes so people don't miss it.

Last edited:

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
So, I can get an Epic Games Store key and also request a Steam key in case it comes out there? I got the email, I just want this to be clarified.